Denon or Onkyo or ???

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Depends on what I’m drinking that night. I find dark Chocolatey mids pair Well with a good Belgian ale. Sometimes I prefer mint Chocolatey with a strong Stout.

B

BEW506

Enthusiast
I had reviewed your OP and it didn't exactly say it had gone poof yet.....did you try resetting the older unit? I would assume they'd ask you to do, but....

Just sometimes an upgrade to keep things functional isn't necessary, thus my question....and with a broken sub....
This is the season to fix broken stuff. My laptop also went belly up! It’s raining bit and bytes and DB’s all over.

B

BEW506

Enthusiast
I don't think anybody can argue the merits of the X3600H. I loved my Denons and my Klipsch speakers of old but sometimes a budget is a budget. I think the 696 will get a sale price of $499.99 or less soon and it is by no means a bad buy. Now, if you have a different budget for speakers, I'm sure these guys can get into an argument over those as well. :p
C’mon Black Friday!! I’ve been looking at the klipsch theater pack bookshelf satellites plus 8” sub. Are these any good for a 15x20 room? I don’t have convenient space for floor standing stuff.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
C’mon Black Friday!! I’ve been looking at the klipsch theater pack bookshelf satellites plus 8” sub. Are these any good for a 15x20 room? I don’t have convenient space for floor standing stuff.
It sure what speakers are in the theater pack. But no. The 8” sub should not be considered.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Recommendation was given

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
As far as I can tell the newer onkyo avrs have earc. I have a few different avrs I’ve been testing in my house. Denon 6700, denon 4500, onkyo rz920, pioneer 704 and Yamaha 3070. Audyssey is a mess and I prefer manual eq. Denon osd seems really old now, the denon 4308 had better osd. Denons get really hot as well so put them with a fan or two. With audyssey turned off they do sound better but still come in bottom spots behind others. Also the 6700 sounds the same as 4500.

Yamaha peq with rew sessions will always win. Pioneer and onkyo have strongest amp section and sound excellent too. The pioneer and onkyo preamp mode is by far the best and most adaptable.

These are all higher end models though and if I was looking for something cheaper I’d jump on eBay and buy something like Yamaha 1060 for $500 used. Or pioneer elite 502 for around $400. Denon I’d only buy if you don’t like to eq manually and have bad speakers in a tough room. The denon 3600 is fine if you run power amps and need more channels but then again I’d buy onkyo rz830 or pioneer 503 over that denon. If you only need 5-7ch and don’t have separate amps that Yamaha 1060 is the one.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Check the deals section in the forum, marantz 6014 $849 and two Denon units for really good prices.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
As far as I can tell the newer onkyo avrs have earc. I have a few different avrs I’ve been testing in my house. Denon 6700, denon 4500, onkyo rz920, pioneer 704 and Yamaha 3070. Audyssey is a mess and I prefer manual eq. Denon osd seems really old now, the denon 4308 had better osd. Denons get really hot as well so put them with a fan or two. With audyssey turned off they do sound better but still come in bottom spots behind others. Also the 6700 sounds the same as 4500.

Yamaha peq with rew sessions will always win. Pioneer and onkyo have strongest amp section and sound excellent too. The pioneer and onkyo preamp mode is by far the best and most adaptable.

These are all higher end models though and if I was looking for something cheaper I’d jump on eBay and buy something like Yamaha 1060 for $500 used. Or pioneer elite 502 for around $400. Denon I’d only buy if you don’t like to eq manually and have bad speakers in a tough room. The denon 3600 is fine if you run power amps and need more channels but then again I’d buy onkyo rz830 or pioneer 503 over that denon. If you only need 5-7ch and don’t have separate amps that Yamaha 1060 is the one.
I've been repeating myself on my past couple of post that Yamaha RX-A1080 is better product if you aren't gonna use amps, but this die hard Denon fans seem to be stuck to their little Denons.

Denons are mostly made in China and some in Vietnam, whereas Yamaha is made in Malaysia. They are heavier than their denon counterparts and have a beefier amp section.

Even if I were to optimize the Denon with the audyssey XT32, i doubt that it would sound as good as a Yamaha.

Infact ypao rsc in Yamaha does a much better job then what audyssey did to my speakers.

The center channel for me always sounded thin and harsh on audyssey, which I never liked on my Denon.
With the yamaha aventage, the center channel has become livlier with great bass, mids and as alltogether produces a more robust sound.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I've been repeating myself on my past couple of post that Yamaha RX-A1080 is better product if you aren't gonna use amps, but this die hard Denon fans seem to be stuck to their little Denons.

Denons are mostly made in China and some in Vietnam, whereas Yamaha is made in Malaysia. They are heavier than their denon counterparts and have a beefier amp section.

Even if I were to optimize the Denon with the audyssey XT32, i doubt that it would sound as good as a Yamaha.

Infact ypao rsc in Yamaha does a much better job then what audyssey did to my speakers.

The center channel for me always sounded thin and harsh on audyssey, which I never liked on my Denon.
With the yamaha aventage, the center channel has become livlier with great bass, mids and as alltogether produces a more robust sound.

what speakers are you using?

B

BEW506

Enthusiast
what speakers are you using?
Currently Boston Acoustics MCS100 5.1 bookshelf in use 12 years. The 8” sub with that set developed a loud 60 cycle buzz. New capacitors didn’t fix it. So I’m sub-less at the moment.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Currently Boston Acoustics MCS100 5.1 bookshelf in use 12 years. The 8” sub with that set developed a loud 60 cycle buzz. New capacitors didn’t fix it. So I’m sub-less at the moment.
I don't think he asked you about your speakers he was asking that other guy Sachb

B

BEW506

Enthusiast
I appeared that the question was directed to me since it landed in my mailbox.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Does Party Mode (for music) sound more fun than NeuralX? :D
Nothing so interesting in NeuralX. I just tried party mode for some of the tracks in Youtube, it sounded way better than Dolby surround.

But, its suprising that yamaha drives all my 5 speakers at the same time with ease.
I could even hear some bass coming out from my surrounds.

Normally I listen using straight option or entirely turn off the processing using the pure direct feature.

Denon/Marantz owners are missing on these features for sure. Worth it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis