Denon/Marantz vs Yamaha vs Anthem Thread

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Audyssey XT32 is better than Yamaha EQ but not even close to Dirac.
Room EQ is effected up to 5khz and higher in some rooms.

If you need service out of warranty, avoid Panurgy or be prepared to pay big $, they're very expensive.
Are there any objective measurements or studies that show how "not even close" is defined? Especially compared with the app?

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
FWIW The Onkyo TX-RZ840 AV receiver utilizes 32-Bit architecture with Dual 32-Bit DSP Engines and a 384kHz/32-Bit Hi-Grade DAC for exceptional sound quality. The Onkyo TX-RZ840 employs powerful and highly accurate 32-bit DSP (Digital Signal Processor) engines for better surround sound reproduction. The AV receiver also incorporates a premium-quality AK4458 digital-to-analog converter from Asahi Kasei for all channels. This 384kHz/32-bit DAC implements unique low-distortion filtering technologies for clear sound, and unlocks the full potential of of your high resolution multichannel audio formats - including Apple Lossless, FLAC, WAV, DSD, LPCM, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.

Straight from the source....

The RZ830 uses the same DAC and you could find it much cheaper.
I will say, my TX-NR809 that I have in my bedroom system still sounds awesome and has worked perfectly(no HDMI issues at all).

I do want to upgrade my receiver in the family room system because I have to run two HDMI cables from my Oppo 203, one to the AVR and one to the TV, and I feel like the current AVRs have superior audio DACS in them for surround performance. That Onkyo 840 does sound interesting. I was thinking more along the lines of trying to find a nice used Denon 6300 or 6400, which I like because they are made in Japan. Thoughts, anyone?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was thinking more along the lines of trying to find a nice used Denon 6300 or 6400, which I like because they are made in Japan. Thoughts, anyone?
I think most people tend to agree that components made in Japan may have better reliability. At the same time, we know there's no guarantee.

I can name 3 made-in-Japan $7500 pre-pros that died prematurely. :D

I think where the component is made can be significant. But the brand itself is more significant than where it is made.

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
Audyssey XT32 is better than Yamaha EQ but not even close to Dirac.
Room EQ is effected up to 5khz and higher in some rooms.
I’ve had Dirac and Audyssey XT32 in both 2 channel rooms and in my home theater. I would agree with you if you don’t use the app and EQ to a better curve with downward tilt. The reference and flat curve that Audyssey uses are terrible in my opinion. Also, if you tend to EQ the entire frequency range, I think Dirac does better. However if you just EQ below 500hz, I actually think Audyssey is just as good. If using multiple subs, I would actually say it is better than Dirac.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
My First AVR was a Yamaha, never had issues with it. I migrated over to an Anthem AVM30 upgraded to 50. I liked the Anthem a lot, but $$ for performance was too high, especially when Marantz came out with their 7005 Pre/Pro. Stayed with Marantz until recently tried Onkyo in the bedroom, sounded good, but too many issues, HDMI, ARC. Picked up an entery/mid Costco Special Yamaha TSR-7850 and have thoroughly impressed with the performance for the price point. If I ever decide to get rid of my AV8002A, My next unit will be Yamaha. I considered going back to Anthem until I learned that their equipment has major reliability issues.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I considered going back to Anthem until I learned that their equipment has major reliability issues.
That's what I've heard also about Anthem reliability on both AH and AVS.

Not too many people own Anthem so we don't usually hear much about Anthem good or bad.

I think I've asked @M Code once about Anthem reliability, but I don't think he had any data on Anthem.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General

Not too many people own Anthem so we don't usually hear much about Anthem good or bad.

I think I've asked @M Code once about Anthem reliability, but I don't think he had any data on Anthem.
The majority of Anthem AVRs are built by the same factory in Vietnam that originally built Harman/Kardon, Marantz and NAD AVRs... Now that AVR factory has primarily shifted to building integrated amplifiers for the mentioned brands plus others such as Onkyo, but note most of these products are sold in Europe, Australia, outside of North America. Last year this respective factory in Vietnam has added a 2nd site in Vietnam dedicated to build soundbars and smart BT loudspeakers. Regarding my experience/opinion for the subject of reliability of Anthem and their AVRs, I have found it to be mixed and average not a disaster but not impressive compared to Yamaha...
Everyone be safe...:)

Just my $0.02.. ;)

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Now I'm wondering if it's time to replace my Yamaha RX-A1020 (2013), with something newer. Just lost another HDMI port. Moved the blue-ray player to a different port, okay so far. This is the 2nd port I've lost on this AVR. It's not a bad cable since I used the same cable from blu-ray to different port. Is Denon/Marantz/Anthem HDMI more reliable than Yamaha? Probably should try another AVR reset or take it in for a check.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Now I'm wondering if it's time to replace my Yamaha RX-A1020 (2013), with something newer. Just lost another HDMI port. Moved the blue-ray player to a different port, okay so far. This is the 2nd port I've lost on this AVR. It's not a bad cable since I used the same cable from blu-ray to different port. Is Denon/Marantz/Anthem HDMI more reliable than Yamaha? Probably should try another AVR reset or take it in for a check.
I think so..

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks, I was afraid of that (buying $$$ a new AVR).
You are not alone. That's why I typically recommend Denon as they are more likely (not always) to be available at deeper discounts than Marantz equivalent models.

I understand Yamaha has reliability on their side but imo that doesn't justify the extra dollars. I believe adding a $10 ext fan to a Denon or Marantz will make them just as long lasting.

For AVP, I would recommend Yamaha's.

Last edited:
D

Deckard71

Junior Audioholic
You are not alone. That's why I typically recommend Denon as they are more likely (not always) to be available at deeper discounts than Marantz equivalent models.

I understand Yamaha has reliability on their side but imo that doesn't justify the extra dollars. I believe adding a $10 ext fan to a Denon or Marantz will make them just as long testing.

AVP?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
long

I understand Yamaha has reliability on their side but imo that doesn't justify the extra dollars. I believe adding a $10 ext fan to a Denon or Marantz will make them just as long testing.

long testing? Did you mean 'long lasting?'
I may have fixed my HDMI jack problem, did a factory reset and blew dust out of HDMI ports, now the formerly 'dead' ports are working again.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai

My dealer who sells a lot of Anthem Pre/Pro's said that he had major issues and have much better success buying the refurb units from them instead. Needless to say, I am not going back to Anthem

S

Sax-Fan

Junior Audioholic
My dealer who sells a lot of Anthem Pre/Pro's said that he had major issues and have much better success buying the refurb units from them instead. Needless to say, I am not going back to Anthem
My AV dealer also told me that Anthem reliability has been spotty although I don't think they sell a ton of them. Anthem is running their 20% off upgrade sale and I have been tempted, but the reliability question is a real issue.

I only have a 5.1 system so all of the extras that the more "mainstream" manufacturers throw in to get their better DACs, room correction, etc, mean nothing to me and make me feel like I would paying for things that are unnecessary -- although pricing is still lower than Anthem. I know there are manufacturing efficiencies that that larger manufacturers have over smaller outfits like Anthem, can they really provide all those extras at lower cost without cutting corners?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My AV dealer also told me that Anthem reliability has been spotty although I don't think they sell a ton of them. Anthem is running their 20% off upgrade sale and I have been tempted, but the reliability question is a real issue.

I only have a 5.1 system so all of the extras that the more "mainstream" manufacturers throw in to get their better DACs, room correction, etc, mean nothing to me and make me feel like I would paying for things that are unnecessary -- although pricing is still lower than Anthem. I know there are manufacturing efficiencies that that larger manufacturers have over smaller outfits like Anthem, can they really provide all those extras at lower cost without cutting corners?
I think @M Code is the local expert on this subject of manufacturing quality and quality control, etc.

Regarding pricing, it's economies of scale. Giant companies sell a lot more quantities and can offer lower pricing.

But the proof is in the pudding.

Most people would agree that some measurements might correlate with quality.

But I think the salient measurement of quality is Reliability and Compatibility. What good are a few insignificant differences in measurements when the brand has reliability issues?

Yamaha might be the most reliable brand.

For measurements, they all have fantastic measurements per S&V Magazine in the usual categories of SNR, Crosstalk, THD+N, and FR.

Yamaha CX-A5100: SNR = 130.92dBA, Crosstalk 93.82dB, THD+N 0.008%, FR 20Hz-20kHz +0.02dB/-0.01dB.

Marantz AV8802: SNR 130.38dBA, Crosstalk 92.21dB, THD+N 0.008%, FR 20Hz-20kHz +0.04dB/-0.01dB.

Anthem AVM60: SNR 127.91dB, Crosstalk 103.35dB, THD+N 0.003%, FR 20Hz-20kHz -0.01dB/-0.03dB.

Back to reliability. I'm curious to know over time, will something like an ATI ATP-16 and Monolith HTP-1 be a lot more reliable than Yamaha? :D

Last edited:
Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Guys,

If you have to choose between SR7013 and new SR6014 which one would you go for and why?

I will add a power amp so I don't care about the integrated amp power difference.
Both have eARC which is important.
Does HDCP 2.3 on 6014 makes it a winner? Why would I care? I will go for Sony BRAVIA AG9 with HDMI 2.0 with eARC and HDCP 2.3 bit it should be compatible with AVRs 2.2 version.

Integrated DACs are the same in both receivers, everything is the same in these two AVRs except for Auro 3D which I don't care for cause I don't have extra money to double each speaker in a near future, probably never.

Lack of second display on a SR6014 is a turn off so I'm split between these two.

Please comment ☺

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Guys,

If you have to choose between SR7013 and new SR6014 which one would you go for and why?

I will add a power amp so I don't care about the integrated amp power difference.
Both have eARC which is important.
Does HDCP 2.3 on 6014 makes it a winner? Why would I care? I will go for Sony BRAVIA AG9 with HDMI 2.0 with eARC and HDCP 2.3 bit it should be compatible with AVRs 2.2 version.

Integrated DACs are the same in both receivers, everything is the same in these two AVRs except for Auro 3D which I don't care for cause I don't have extra money to double each speaker in a near future, probably never.

Lack of second display on a SR6014 is a turn off so I'm split between these two.

Please comment ☺
If you must have hdcp 2.3 then the AVR-x3600h is the only alternative to the SR6014, but you would have to give up the 7.1 analog inputs that most people don't need. Other than the HDAMs the two are nearly identical in all audio critical areas. If you can give up hdcp 2.3 and the 7.1 analog inputs then the AVR-X4500H and the SR7013 are virtually identical in all audio critical areas, except the HDAMs, that I do not consider an advantage at all.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis