Denon/Marantz Audyssey MultEQ Editor App Allows Full Customization of Sound

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Denon and Marantz have launched a new Audyssey MultEQ Editor app, giving home theater enthusiasts control to refine and customize the set-up of their systems for even better surround sound. The app is accessible via a tablet or smartphone device and allows for full curve editing and limiting to a certain range of frequencies for room correction. We are particularly excited about this since you can now limit Audyssey room EQ to below the room transition frequency (300Hz) to concentrate where it's needed most - the bass frequencies.

Read: Denon/Marantz Audyssey MultEQ Editor App Allows Full Customization of Sound

Find out which models support this and exactly what the app will allow you to do.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Gene, seems that you are first to know as I Googled about it not long ago and came up with no update. Thanks for the good news, now I may have an excuse to upgrade.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey... can I use this instead of a MiniDSP to tweak my subs in? As in, all I need is a mic and rew?

*Edit: Either way, my model isn't supported. One generation too soon. sigh

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hey... can I use this instead of a MiniDSP to tweak my subs in? As in, all I need is a mic and rew?

*Edit: Either way, my model isn't supported. One generation too soon. sigh
Yep. I'm in the same boat as you as I have an AVP-A1HDCI that doesn't support this upgrade :(

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just noticed this mentioned on the Audyssey FB page yesterday. Apparently Google and Apple held up the approval (just a few days ago someone was asking Chris K for status and that was his response).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yep. I'm in the same boat as you as I have an AVP-A1HDCI that doesn't support this upgrade :(
Well I know what to look for in my next upgrade. Is it something that would work in lieu of a MiniDSP, or is getting a mini the better option?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@Pogre the app can let you have Audyssey concentrate on the subs, as many don't like what it does with upper frequencies; you could conceivably do the same with a minidsp but the combination may well do better....would like one of the x300 series avrs to play with this app!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre the app can let you have Audyssey concentrate on the subs, as many don't like what it does with upper frequencies; you could conceivably do the same with a minidsp but the combination may well do better....would like one of the x300 series avrs to play with this app!
Yeah, I'm itching to see how well this is implemented and how it works. Like, do you just use the Audyssey mic? I would start scheming on an upgrade if it works as well as a MiniDSP/Umik/rew.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I'm itching to see how well this is implemented and how it works. Like, do you just use the Audyssey mic? I would start scheming on an upgrade if it works as well as a MiniDSP/Umik/rew.
There would generally be an advantage for a proper measurement mic and calibration file and software as compared to the very general Audyssey mics/calibration profile. AFAIK you just use the Audyssey mic and calibration then the app allows more adjustments to the results than current Audyssey avrs provide.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Well I know what to look for in my next upgrade. Is it something that would work in lieu of a MiniDSP, or is getting a mini the better option?
It's still not as flexible as mDSP which allows customization of every input and output but it may be good enough for most people's needs and much easier to setup and edit since it's built into the AVR.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Nice to know it doesn't work with their top of line pre/pro....:mad::(:mad:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice to know it doesn't work with their top of line pre/pro....:mad::(:mad:
My 8801 is from 2 generations ago so can't really complain, but you guys should try and get an online petition for a FW upgrade for the AV-8802A and AVR-X7200W. To me, being software based, it should be very doable.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
No love for anything before the SR7011 which doesn't support front wides, drat it.

S

Schrodinger23

Audioholic Intern
This is good to see the Audyssey app is here for newer models. One area that receiver using Audyssey are lagging behind is the ability to switch between two different EQs on the fly. Anthem gives you this ability, which is really nice if you have two rows of seating. One EQ if you choose to sit in row 1 another if you choose to sit in row 2. Heck, yet another if you have people filling up both rows. With how little storage space costs, I really don't see why this is not already implemented. As it is right now you can save several EQs, but it takes a long time to load. Not just a press of the button, since they are stored in hard memory on the receiver.

I also don't understand why receivers using Audyssey don't have the ability to limit EQ to bass region only. Gene mentioned in the article that experts suggest cutting things off at around 500 Hz. Anthem cuts things off at 5 kHz. How hard is it to give the user the option? With the app, this seems like something that maybe Audyssey can do on their end.

rom3

rom3

Audioholic Intern
...I also don't understand why receivers using Audyssey don't have the ability to limit EQ to bass region only. Gene mentioned in the article that experts suggest cutting things off at around 500 Hz. Anthem cuts things off at 5 kHz. How hard is it to give the user the option? With the app, this seems like something that maybe Audyssey can do on their end.
Agree with you on this! I do use Audyssey L/R bypass sometimes on my 2 channel listening which sort of accomplishes this (eq's the subs and leaves the rest alone), but of course, it cuts off the eq at your crossover frequency rather than 300+ Hz.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Agree with you on this! I do use Audyssey L/R bypass sometimes on my 2 channel listening which sort of accomplishes this (eq's the subs and leaves the rest alone), but of course, it cuts off the eq at your crossover frequency rather than 300+ Hz.
I also would love to be able to select the cut off point, but in my case it won't change much because my REW graphs show Audysssey at frequency higher than 500 Hz anyway.

M

MikeSp

Junior Audioholic
Leaving out the AV-8802A for the new app is ridiculous -- what's wrong with Marantz??? :mad:

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Waiting to see what, if anything, Yamaha comes up with.

A

asere

Audioholic
What I don't understand is say you have a sub that can only go as low as 20 Hz. You calibrate it with Audyssey and then use the app to extend the curve to 10 Hz.
Won't this approach damage the sub?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis