Denon DVD-3930CI Review

ronnie 1.8

Audioholic
MACCA350 said:
DVD-A passes digitally as Multichannel PCM
SACD passes Digitally as DSD(IIRC)
The 3930CI has 5.1 analogue outputs, so you can use the analogue outputs for DD and DTS. The same reasons apply, convenience, Bass management and Room EQ as well as Prologic IIx for 6.1 & 7.1 processing(if you use it).

BTW the 3805 also uses the AL24 Processing Plus for DVD-A(and any PCM signal) over the DenonLink. Also the 3805 uses 16(IIRC) DAC's, 2 per channel and combines them when processing only 2 channels. I'm not sure how many the 3930CI uses.

cheers:)
I see. The 3930CI also uses Denon's Advanced AL24 Processinig (2 ch) and AL24 Processing PLUS (5.1 ch). I don't know how many DACs the 3805 has vs the 3930CI, but do know the 3930CI's are superior. Lots of info to process in my mind tonight! Thanks! :)

C

corrigo

Audiophyte
3930 is actualy on of the best universal, middle priced DVD-A, SACD, CD source. That is the reason I spent 1150 Euro :eek: to get my own. US customers are lucky for their pricing :cool:
Great PQ upscaled from SD DVD is only a minor bonus, for me.

Max. effective mode of implantation 3930 to my existing HT and High-End systems takes many hours of studying WWW resources. That is my conclusion;
1796 DAC's applied in 3930 are second best DAC's from Texas Instr. Only beter is 1792 DAC, applied in Top Denon's 5... DVD's.
Denon's high-middle Class AVR's 4... and 3... are using minor 1791 DAC's. It means; recomendation for using 3930 DAC's ,possible directly / ANALOG 2 ch and 5.1 ch/ conected to analog amplifier stage. In my case; 5.1 analog Denon AVR 3806 , and 2ch analog to YBA Integree / "A" class Sterophile rated, Hi-End Ampifier/.
Sophisticated Advanced AL24 Plus audio procesing of 3930 DAC"s gives sound benefits with specific 3930 set up's ONLY.
This extra oversampling works / excusively/ for 2ch analog outputs and front L and R outputs in 5.1

SETUP for Adv.AL24 Plus works;
HDMI - 2 ch
Denon Link -off
Digital output- off
Mode- music / separate power pack for audio is working/

With complete analog connection, pure direct mode- (all off) on 3930 and pure direct mode on 3806 - it gives best possible SQ in Multichanel SACD, DVD-A
and OUTSTANDING ,2 ch SACD. and Red Book CD ,High-end amplified stereo.

Using Denon Link 3rd ON is very comfortable , but audio processig is made by minor components of AVR's. Beter is, if coax or optic conection is established for DD or DTS DVD's. Constant seting up and down Denon Link ,( not from remote controler , but by set up menu, only) every time , We want to switch between audio and video use , is ....borring ;) .

At last, I am an fanatic hi-end audiophile more than 15 years. Denon DVD 3930 isn't stricte audio high-end unit.It is slow operated, sometimes unconvenient in use. But it souds VERY, VERY good, quite in audiophile mode .
3930 wiil last with me for many Years :cool:
Sorry for english, it is not my native L.:)

W

whattheheckvecc

Audiophyte
3930ci

Plese help,
I am going to buy the AVR-4306 AND DVD-3930CI this week, but now I'm not sure if I need the 3930. After reading all the posts about the 3930 it is my understanding that using the Denon link and HDMI connections will by pass the DAC's in the 3930 and use the one's in the 4306, is that correct? If so are the DAC's in the 4306 as good as 3930's? If they are than all I need is a universal player with the same video quality. Do any of the lower priced Denon player's have the same video quality?
I'm to this so I'll take all the help I can get. Thanks

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
whattheheckvecc said:
Plese help,
I am going to buy the AVR-4306 AND DVD-3930CI this week, but now I'm not sure if I need the 3930. After reading all the posts about the 3930 it is my understanding that using the Denon link and HDMI connections will by pass the DAC's in the 3930 and use the one's in the 4306, is that correct? If so are the DAC's in the 4306 as good as 3930's? If they are than all I need is a universal player with the same video quality. Do any of the lower priced Denon player's have the same video quality?
I'm to this so I'll take all the help I can get. Thanks
Well, to get the same video quality with the HQV Realta chip then you either get the 3930 or the 5910.

C

corrigo

Audiophyte
whattheheckvecc, look again for my post above, please.
3930 Dac's are superior to Denon's series 4... and 3... AVR's.
If Your orientation is video Q, not audio, more reasonable choice is Denon's 2930 player /750 $ insteed 1300 $/ . 2930's Reon video chip is not equal, but very close to 3930's Realta . Audio 2390 DAC's are the same like
3806's and 4306's. The same is audio processing AL24 Plus / not "Advanced"/.
Conclusion; for Home Theater DD and DTS audio use, 2930 and 4306 stuff is more reasonable. Also, 3806 is so good choice/ less expensive/, except I-Pod connection and Internet radio features.

ronnie 1.8

Audioholic
corrigo said:
SETUP for Adv.AL24 Plus works;
HDMI - 2 ch
Denon Link -off
Digital output- off
Mode- music / separate power pack for audio is working/

With complete analog connection, pure direct mode- (all off) on 3930 and pure direct mode on 3806 - it gives best possible SQ in Multichanel SACD, DVD-A
and OUTSTANDING ,2 ch SACD. and Red Book CD ,High-end amplified stereo.

Using Denon Link 3rd ON is very comfortable , but audio processig is made by minor components of AVR's. Beter is, if coax or optic conection is established for DD or DTS DVD's. Constant seting up and down Denon Link ,( not from remote controler , but by set up menu, only) every time , We want to switch between audio and video use , is ....borring ;) .

At last, I am an fanatic hi-end audiophile more than 15 years. Denon DVD 3930 isn't stricte audio high-end unit.It is slow operated, sometimes unconvenient in use. But it souds VERY, VERY good, quite in audiophile mode .
3930 wiil last with me for many Years :cool:
Sorry for english, it is not my native L.:)
This is how I have my DVD3930CI and AVR3805 setup for DVDA/SACD/CD. Sometimes I'll let the AVR process my CD's. I had the Denon DVD2910, and do notice the 3930CI is much slower. It's slower to eject a DVD, slower to load, and DVD menu operation also seems to be slower. This was a surprise. But wow is the PQ incredible. Just watched 1986 "Blue Velvet' on DVD, and thought a hundreded different times how good the picture looked. It's worth the player being a bit slow.

ronnie 1.8

Audioholic
I've watched many more movies since my last comment on the 3930CI. It seems each upgraded player has additional problems, from a '98 ish $200 Sony that never froze and opened/closed immediately, to my Denon 2910 that froze occassionally and took a bit longer to open, to my 3930CI that has frozen several times in only a couple months, and sometimes takes 10 seconds to open. This is my first player of this quality. Is this expected?

And I have found that unless I turn the components on in this order - AVR, player, monitor - that I seem to have more problems with the player, sometimes no picture, or weird artifacts in the picture. I believe that's the HDCP handshake that hasn't occurred properly? Once I turn everything off, and let my Harmony 880 turn them on in proper order, all is well with the world.

L

LEVESQUE

Junior Audioholic
If someone is thinking of buying the Denon 3910ci ONLY for picture quality, then they should think about the Toshiba HD-XA2 (HD-DVD player) instead...

After comparing both, the Toshiba is giving a better PQ with standard DVDs, but the Toshiba is coming with a nice bonus: it's a great HD-DVD player also...

The Toshiba cost less then the Denon, and it's better with standard DVDs (the Tosh is using the new Realta Reon HQV...), and it's playing HD-DVDs also...

Here's an interesting shout-out between the Crystalio II scaler (4500$) + SDI player and the new Toshiba HD-XA2... And the winner was the Toshiba!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=782887

Last edited:
MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
LEVESQUE said:
If someone is thinking of buying the Denon 3910ci ONLY for picture quality, then they should think about the Toshiba HD-XA2 (HD-DVD player) instead...

After comparing both, the Toshiba is giving a better PQ with standard DVDs, but the Toshiba is coming with a nice bonus: it's a great HD-DVD player also...

The Toshiba cost less then the Denon, and it's better with standard DVDs (the Tosh is using the new Realta Reon HQV...), and it's playing HD-DVDs also...

Here's an interesting shout-out between the Crystalio II scaler (4500$) + SDI player and the new Toshiba HD-XA2... And the winner was the Toshiba!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=782887
This thread is about the 3930CI not the 3910.
BTW the HQV Realta and the HQV Reon XV are two different chips but share many similarities. The 3930CI uses the higher quality HQV Realta chip.

The Rang

The Rang

Audiophyte
If the Toshiba HD-AX2 is using the HQV Reon would it be safe to assume the picture is similar to the Denon 2930, which also uses the Reon?

Though my interest in the 3930 is partly for PQ, and this is what most reviews discuss, it's the audio side that I am focusing on.
How much better is the 3930 over the 2930 for DVD-A & SACD ?
I can hear a difference at the dealer but it's not huge.
Is it worth another $400?

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
The Rang said:
If the Toshiba HD-AX2 is using the HQV Reon would it be safe to assume the picture is similar to the Denon 2930, which also uses the Reon?

Though my interest in the 3930 is partly for PQ, and this is what most reviews discuss, it's the audio side that I am focusing on.
Thats up to you to decide. Do you think its worth it for you. Some will say yes, some will say no, but ultimately its your money and your the one listening to it.

C

corrigo

Audiophyte
The Rang said:
It depends, what other gears are 3930 companions , in Your system:)
If it's AVR , there is no real difference in sound quality.
But, 3930 connected to high-end 2ch or multichannel amp. sounds very impressive. Much better, than 2930.

W

WeAreSurrounded

Audioholic
HELP: Best PQ for Denon 4306/3910 & PIO plasma 1080i combo?

I know it's a 3930 thread but in many repects 3930 and 3910 are similar, so maybe I'll find some advice here ;)

Upgraded recently to my Denon 4306/3910 combo and my TV monitor is PIONEER plasma 1080i. The setup is simple: 2 HDMI cables between player->receiver->TV, 1 DL3 cable for audio. Another HDMI cable connects STB SA 8300HD and 4306 which finally works fine (thanks to the recent COX firmware upload).

I am very satisfied with the audio :D , now is the time to tweak some video signals (which I don't know much about). So, here come my questions to the more experienced users:
1) Since the max signal accepted by plasma is 1080i should I choose INTERLACED vs. PROGRESSIVE in my 3910 video output format (thus avoiding de-interlacing)?
Does it make difference at all (I could not notice) ?
2) Assuming I choose 1080i as the resolution output from 3910, it should not make difference if I choose 1080i or THROUGH as the "HDMI video out" in my 4306, right? I think -in either case plasma should get the 1080i signal.
3)When I choose 1080i as the HDMI out, no matter what comes as the source , should come out as the 1080i signal, right ? So the TV should not do any more processing/deinterlacing/scaling, correct ?
This is how I think it should work, BUT...
4) When use I the SA8300HD/4306/PIO connection, the signal should be upconverted in my 4306, right ? (I choose "AUTO- HDMI/DVI" in the STB's output). But when I hit the Display button on my TV's remote, it shows me the native reoslutions (480i, 720p, 1080i) depending on the station's signal. :confused:
I though they ALL should have been upgraded tp 1080i.
So, what's going on here, is my 4306's upconverter not working or am I missing something ? :eek:
5) Also, can the RIVA calibration disc, which is on its way to me, really help me with the issues above ?
6) Lastly, there'e a lot controversies (this Forum included) regarding issue of "scaling" done by 4306. I could not find a word in the manual, the product sheets advertise it, but the Denon rep I talked to says that the only Denon receiver which does that is 4806CI. Any comments ? :confused:

Sorry for the long post ;) - I am putting copy of it also in the 4306 thread ...

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
WeAreSurrounded said:
I know it's a 3930 thread but in many repects 3930 and 3910 are similar, so maybe I'll find some advice here ;)

Upgraded recently to my Denon 4306/3910 combo and my TV monitor is PIONEER plasma 1080i. The setup is simple: 2 HDMI cables between player->receiver->TV, 1 DL3 cable for audio. Another HDMI cable connects STB SA 8300HD and 4306 which finally works fine (thanks to the recent COX firmware upload).

I am very satisfied with the audio :D , now is the time to tweak some video signals (which I don't know much about). So, here come my questions to the more experienced users:
1) Since the max signal accepted by plasma is 1080i should I choose INTERLACED vs. PROGRESSIVE in my 3910 video output format (thus avoiding de-interlacing)?
Does it make difference at all (I could not notice) ?
2) Assuming I choose 1080i as the resolution output from 3910, it should not make difference if I choose 1080i or THROUGH as the "HDMI video out" in my 4306, right? I think -in either case plasma should get the 1080i signal.
3)When I choose 1080i as the HDMI out, no matter what comes as the source , should come out as the 1080i signal, right ? So the TV should not do any more processing/deinterlacing/scaling, correct ?
This is how I think it should work, BUT...
4) When use I the SA8300HD/4306/PIO connection, the signal should be upconverted in my 4306, right ? (I choose "AUTO- HDMI/DVI" in the STB's output). But when I hit the Display button on my TV's remote, it shows me the native reoslutions (480i, 720p, 1080i) depending on the station's signal. :confused:
I though they ALL should have been upgraded tp 1080i.
So, what's going on here, is my 4306's upconverter not working or am I missing something ? :eek:
5) Also, can the RIVA calibration disc, which is on its way to me, really help me with the issues above ?
6) Lastly, there'e a lot controversies (this Forum included) regarding issue of "scaling" done by 4306. I could not find a word in the manual, the product sheets advertise it, but the Denon rep I talked to says that the only Denon receiver which does that is 4806CI. Any comments ? :confused:

Sorry for the long post ;) - I am putting copy of it also in the 4306 thread ...
Plasma's are progressive by nature, so if you feed it a 1080i signal it will deinterlace it and if its 'native resolution is less than 1920x1080 it will scale it also.
You need to find the Native Resolution of the plasma is. The only 1080p Pioneer I can find is the PRO-FHD1, all the rest are 1365 x 768 or less.
Now to your questions:
1)If the max is 1080i then you cant input 1080p
2)I'm not sure if the receiver will do processing if set to 1080i in this case, you could try it both ways and see if you notice a difference, but using the THROUGH setting will make sure the receiver is not doing any processing. Yes in either case the display gets 1080i
3)If you choose 1080i out, thats what you'll get. Yes the TV will be doing processing, both deinterlacing and scaling(unless you have the PRO-FHD1, then just deinterlacing)
4)The 4306 will upconvert and scale the signal out the HDMI output depending on your settings(see page 72 of your manual)
5)AVIA is a video/audio calibration disc, used for adjusting your display and audio properties. It will not help in setting up your upconversion, but it can help you visually see what is the better setting for your display.
6)See no 4) the 4306 has full scaling ability up to 1080i over HDMI.

The Rang

The Rang

Audiophyte
corrigo said:
It depends, what other gears are 3930 companions , in Your system:)
If it's AVR , there is no real difference in sound quality.
But, 3930 connected to high-end 2ch or multichannel amp. sounds very impressive. Much better, than 2930.
My amp isn't exactly high end but I'd like to think it's above a run of the mill receiver.
It's an Arcam A85 integrated, which I'm happy with, running through KEF 104.2 speakers.
When I compared the 3930 and 2930, through a Denon 2807 receiver and B&W 600 series speakers, I thought the 3930 did sound fuller with a slightly larger soundstage. I just don't want to "Overbuy".

ronnie 1.8

Audioholic
ronnie 1.8 said:
I've watched many more movies since my last comment on the 3930CI. It seems each upgraded player has additional problems, from a '98 ish $200 Sony that never froze and opened/closed immediately, to my Denon 2910 that froze occassionally and took a bit longer to open, to my 3930CI that has frozen several times in only a couple months, and sometimes takes 10 seconds to open. This is my first player of this quality. Is this expected?

And I have found that unless I turn the components on in this order - AVR, player, monitor - that I seem to have more problems with the player, sometimes no picture, or weird artifacts in the picture. I believe that's the HDCP handshake that hasn't occurred properly? Once I turn everything off, and let my Harmony 880 turn them on in proper order, all is well with the world.
Turned out I had a faulty player. The replacement unit has not displayed these behaviors! :) :D

Thimboteous

Audiophyte
Pure Direct and Denon Link?

Is Denon Link supposed to be on even if Digital Out: Off or All Off is selected via Pure Direct Mode?

My unit is doing this and I thought All Off meant just that. I've done many configuations to see what does and does not happen with each and this is the only oddity. Coaxial Digital, HDMI... turn off properly, but Denon Link stays On unless I turn it off in the Setup Menu.

FYI, I'm using the 3930CI with an AVR-4806CI.

Thanks!

ronnie 1.8

Audioholic
Thimboteous said:
Is Denon Link supposed to be on even if Digital Out: Off or All Off is selected via Pure Direct Mode?
Interesting. I believe the answer should be no, per the Denon user manual. On page 28, with DIGITAL OUTPUT set to OFF, "The DENON LINK digital output circuitry does not function".

I also have the 3930CI, but have never tested for this. Nor can I at this time, as I'm not using DL.

Jase

Jase

Junior Audioholic
Denon Link stays on even when the Pure Direct mode is set to ALL OFF on my A1XVA (5910CI).

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Thimboteous said:

My unit is doing this and I thought All Off meant just that. I've done many configuations to see what does and does not happen with each and this is the only oddity. Coaxial Digital, HDMI... turn off properly, but Denon Link stays On unless I turn it off in the Setup Menu.

FYI, I'm using the 3930CI with an AVR-4806CI.

Thanks!
Are you talking about the player or receiver?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis