Denon AVR-x3700H issues

G

go4sur

Enthusiast
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to write post here, I have been reading stuff here though. I have purchased Denon AVR-X3700H and it has been delivered on July 8th. I bought Klipsch RP-8000F and RP-504C to replace Paradigm Monitor V9 floor standing and CC-370 center. I am still using Paradigm Surround 3 for surrounds , Sonance in wall for atmos rear height speakers.

my observation so far is, Denon movie experience is way better than my previous Yamaha RX-A1020 but for music(stereo), I feel Yamaha is better.

I have observed few issues with this AVR and would like to get a confirmation from you that it is a defective piece so that I can return/replace it. No issues with sound as such but with video. l I have Apple TV 4K that I primarily use for streaming. First of all, sometimes when coming out of Apple TV+ and Amazon Prime shows/movies that there's little pop noise coming from my left surround later did extensive test and found that this pop noise is coming from my center , front left also, so, it is not speaker issue. (since my front stage is new I thought it maybe a speaker issue initially). Second, sometimes when I turn on receiver it is unable to send video signal from source to TV (I experienced this with my Apple TV, Xfinity xi6 box and blu ray player) meaning TV shows pop up saying "please connect to a source". When I switch inputs using Denon remote, then it is able to send video to TV. I know there will be lag when we switch inputs and screen can be blank but this is different, video completely not sent from AVR I think. And once or twice, while watching The Morning Show episode in Apple TV+, I pressed menu (to go back from show), TV screen turned blank and after few seconds TV said "please connect to a source". I am disappointed with my purchase.

I have called Denon support and tech support guy said there's some issue with the device/piece and asked me to return it. Anyone experienced this type of issue with Denon (I dont think so)...felt very bad to switch to Denon (primary reason is to upgrade to Atmos/DTSX AVR that is future proof (8K) ), I never had a single issue with my Yamaha.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Disclaimer: Please excuse me for my English and spelling mistakes.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to write post here, I have been reading stuff here though. I have purchased Denon AVR-X3700H and it has been delivered on July 8th. I bought Klipsch RP-8000F and RP-504C to replace Paradigm Monitor V9 floor standing and CC-370 center. I am still using Paradigm Surround 3 for surrounds , Sonance in wall for atmos rear height speakers.

my observation so far is, Denon movie experience is way better than my previous Yamaha RX-A1020 but for music(stereo), I feel Yamaha is better.

I have observed few issues with this AVR and would like to get a confirmation from you that it is a defective piece so that I can return/replace it. No issues with sound as such but with video. l I have Apple TV 4K that I primarily use for streaming. First of all, sometimes when coming out of Apple TV+ and Amazon Prime shows/movies that there's little pop noise coming from my left surround later did extensive test and found that this pop noise is coming from my center , front left also, so, it is not speaker issue. (since my front stage is new I thought it maybe a speaker issue initially). Second, sometimes when I turn on receiver it is unable to send video signal from source to TV (I experienced this with my Apple TV, Xfinity xi6 box and blu ray player) meaning TV shows pop up saying "please connect to a source". When I switch inputs using Denon remote, then it is able to send video to TV. I know there will be lag when we switch inputs and screen can be blank but this is different, video completely not sent from AVR I think. And once or twice, while watching The Morning Show episode in Apple TV+, I pressed menu (to go back from show), TV screen turned blank and after few seconds TV said "please connect to a source". I am disappointed with my purchase.

I have called Denon support and tech support guy said there's some issue with the device/piece and asked me to return it. Anyone experienced this type of issue with Denon (I dont think so)...felt very bad to switch to Denon (primary reason is to upgrade to Atmos/DTSX AVR that is future proof (8K) ), I never had a single issue with my Yamaha.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

I think you should return it. These new Denon AVRs are going to have lots of bugs. Denon will most likely be doing a fair amount of software updates in the coming weeks. If you liked Yamaha you should wait until their new models come out and then jump on their previous models and go for the 2080 or 3080 for big discounts. Or if you can get your hands on a Denon x3600H for $1000. That would be a great AVR to have.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have purchased Denon AVR-X3700H...

My observation so far is, Denon movie experience is way better than my previous Yamaha RX-A1020 but for music(stereo), I feel Yamaha is better.

I never had a single issue with my Yamaha

I've had some HDMI compatibility issues with my Denon's in the past also.

If the SAME components have no issues with the Yamaha, then it could be that the Denon isn't as compatible.

@M Code said that Yamaha is the only major brand that extensively tests for HDMI compatibility.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi Everyone,

Please let me know.

Thanks,

It does seem as if that unit has significant issues and should be returned. It seems to me that Denon/Marantz units are having an increase issues. I would return that unit. Sound United may not be good stewards of the Denon/Marantz legacy. Pioneer and Onkyo are not worth consideration. May be we should take a closer look at Sony. Yamaha do not seem to generate much complaint. If I have to replace my Marantz 7705 pre/pro down the road I will take a very serious look at Yamaha indeed. I'm just used to the way Marantz gear is organized.

I did have an issue with my 7705 for a while I did not like. Occasionally after switch on when the relay clicked in there would be a loud potentially speaker busting pop to all channels, and all channels had a loud hiss. This would be resolved by shutting it down and restarting. It has not done this since about the second to last firmware updates. I don't know if this is coincidence or not. I should say this unit has had a lot of firmware updates since going into service in October, sometimes two in a week.

So it seems this unit may have been released not fully debugged. I was certainly concerned about this issue, and hope it does not surface again.

I think we need a lot less features and better quality of core functions on all brands. Put the bells and whistles on peripheral units. After all I only use the unit as a switcher and volume control, with bass management basically. So I just set levels, and crossovers, then it is just a switch and volume control. The FM tuner is not of the quality of previous models, so I use an external FM tuner. The Internet radio sounds awful, so I use my DAW for that. I dislike Audyssey intensely. That is a serious quality spoiler.

I guess I have really serious concerns with the state of the industry. There has been far too big slide, to feature overload, and lack of attention to core functions.

I'm convinced no receiver should contain more than five power amps. If you need more than that, they should be external.

G

go4sur

Enthusiast
I've had some HDMI compatibility issues with my Denon's in the past also.

If the SAME components have no issues with the Yamaha, then it could be that the Denon isn't as compatible.

@M Code said that Yamaha is the only major brand that extensively tests for HDMI compatibility.
I bought Monoprice 8K HDMI cable ( I think it doesnt have enough sheilding) for the first time, I'll try with other cable and see.

Thanks,

C

CastorTroy3

Enthusiast
Try turning off CEC on all devices and see if you have the same issue. CEC gave me lots of problems. Of course swapping will make you feel better :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That's a negative - Sony doesn't even make a pre-pro. They only make AVRS, very bad 4 letters. :D
I know that. I thought this thread was about AVRs. I note we do not get many reports of Sony receiver failure, but that might be because they have a much smaller market share.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know that. I thought this thread was about AVRs. I note we do not get many reports of Sony receiver failure, but that might be because they have a much smaller market share.
Yeah, it doesn't seem like too many people on the forum own Sony AVR.

Someone on the forum said their Sony AVR got really hot.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Before returning I'd do the usual soft reset/hard resets to see if that won't resolve the issue first. If using CEC I'd also try not using that as suggested, as implementation varies. I had some device incompatibility here and there with hdmi handshake issues with a Denon (a Denon avr and Sony bluray player particularly, same bluray player was fine with my Onkyo and think some issues with that same Onkyo and a Samsung bluray player). I think I've even seen reports of it happening with Yamaha avrs, tho. Depends on the all the brands/gear involved.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I bought Monoprice 8K HDMI cable ( I think it doesnt have enough sheilding) for the first time, I'll try with other cable and see.

Thanks,
Does it happen on all inputs?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The Denon 3700 may be OK... :rolleyes:
Can't really say...
However..
It is well known that certain brands/products have HDMI/HDCP interoperability issues these include Direct TV, Apple TV, Samsung HD displays.. Many of these issues never surface until...
The products are connected through an AVR, reason being if the product is only a source component connected directly with the HD display the HDMI/HDCP handshake/interface is simplified. But when the source component goes through an AVR the HDMI/HDCP stream is extracted/decoded and then re-encoded sent out to the HD display. Here timing and other specs are crucial, if input and output don't match problems arise....

Thats why very frequently on these forums, the user will report all works fine when the source component is connected directly to the HD display but not through the AVR..

Just my $0.02... ;)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
About the only issue I have had with HDMI is "CEC" and "Lip Sync"' That alone was driving me nuts. HDMI Monitor out to the "HDMI ARC" on my 4K uhd tv. Mostly with over the air use some with my COX cable mostly when watching a FOX channel. I'd have to turn off everything than back on and "Lip Sync" would be ok. I got feed up with having to do that so I ran Optical out from the HDTV back to AVR and moved Monitor out from my AVR to input 2 on HDTV and disabled "CEC" Haven't had a issue with "Lip Sync" ever after that. My AVR is a Yamaha sooo.

G

go4sur

Enthusiast
Does it happen on all inputs?
thanks. very good question, I have observed this is happening mostly on APPLE TV 4K, I played couple of blu rays to test I havent head popping noise. Thinking of Apple TV may have gone rogue!

Btw, anyone has observed popping noise coming out of speakers when using Apple TV 4K ?

A

Audiosnwb

Audiophyte
thanks. very good question, I have observed this is happening mostly on APPLE TV 4K, I played couple of blu rays to test I havent head popping noise. Thinking of Apple TV may have gone rogue!

Btw, anyone has observed popping noise coming out of speakers when using Apple TV 4K ?
I purchased my x3700h in early July, and so far I haven't really had any issues.

I haven't heard a popping noise when using my Apple TV 4K, but I have had an issue where the display would show on my TV, but then go blank for 3-4 seconds, but would then come back on just fine after that. However, I assume it's either my HDMI cable (don't think it's high speed certified 4k) or I have to double check my pass-through setting. This doesn't happen with my other devices, which is why I'm assuming it's my cable. My 4K Firestick is working perfectly fine.

P

ptjohns10

Audiophyte
I recently purchased the X3700H AVR and have had the same issues. I connect my computer and XBOX to the X3700H and then to a Sony 4K TV. Most of the time, when I boot my computer, the Denon will not show the screen, so I have to click on another input such as DVD or Cable, and then back to the input I am using for the computer. If I play a game, and exit back to desktop, again, the screen shows no input, so I have to click on another input and back again to the computer. I called Denon. They told me that it was probably an EDID issue, and suggested that I try an EDID device before or after the AVR. I purchased the Altona AT-ETU-SYNC to try to correct the problem. This device syncs up to 4K 4:4:4 60 Hz with Dolby Atmos. I tried the device before the AVR and after the AVR and it did not correct the issue. I called Altona for assistance. They told me, that when the issue occurs, the Denon should be at least sending the default logo screen to the TV if it is not syncing with the computer. But, the Denon does not. When it happens, the TV shows no signal, so the AVR is not sending any signal to the TV. They told me that the issue is with the AVR. He suggested that it was possible the AVR might be defective, or that Denon is having issues with this model. I am returning my AVR for replacement in hopes of the former. I have connected my computer and XBOX in the past with Sony STR-DN1080 and also with a Denon X3500H and an earlier model Denon and never had an issue with those AVRs.

G

go4sur

Enthusiast
sad to hear your issue with this receiver ptjohns10.

Update on my receiver issue
(sorry for the delay - I was closely monitoring new device):
I have returned my x3700h receiver and ordered the same again, the new one is lot better regarding video switching, I wouldn't say it is completely resolved but better. Sometimes in rare cases, it looses sending output signal to my TV and tv shows check your input source ( I have to switch input couple of times so that issue will be corrected) I believe Denon has a bug in software, hopefully they correct it in future updates. Of course I need to call and report Denon support though. I believe it should be the same case with all x700h (Denon 2020) receivers.

Popping noise volume and frequency has been reduced with this new receiver. Apple TV popping noise is an issue with Apple TV 4K probably as said by everettT. I mean I sometimes hear low volume pop from one of my speaker( this changes randomly)

My movie experience is incredibly better than my old Yamaha Aventage RX-A-1020 (I bought this for $1400 in 2014). For some reason I feel like audio ( 2 channel stereo) is better with my old Yamaha (may be my personal feeling or I got use to that sound quality).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I recently purchased the X3700H AVR and have had the same issues. I connect my computer and XBOX to the X3700H and then to a Sony 4K TV. Most of the time, when I boot my computer, the Denon will not show the screen, so I have to click on another input such as DVD or Cable, and then back to the input I am using for the computer. If I play a game, and exit back to desktop, again, the screen shows no input, so I have to click on another input and back again to the computer. I called Denon. They told me that it was probably an EDID issue, and suggested that I try an EDID device before or after the AVR. I purchased the Altona AT-ETU-SYNC to try to correct the problem. This device syncs up to 4K 4:4:4 60 Hz with Dolby Atmos. I tried the device before the AVR and after the AVR and it did not correct the issue. I called Altona for assistance. They told me, that when the issue occurs, the Denon should be at least sending the default logo screen to the TV if it is not syncing with the computer. But, the Denon does not. When it happens, the TV shows no signal, so the AVR is not sending any signal to the TV. They told me that the issue is with the AVR. He suggested that it was possible the AVR might be defective, or that Denon is having issues with this model. I am returning my AVR for replacement in hopes of the former. I have connected my computer and XBOX in the past with Sony STR-DN1080 and also with a Denon X3500H and an earlier model Denon and never had an issue with those AVRs.
I would call this an HDMI-compatibility issue, not a product DEFECT or Malfunction.

And it may occur only with certain devices.

I think Yamaha is the only brand that extensively tests for HDMI compatibility. But it's no guarantee either.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
For some reason I feel like audio ( 2 channel stereo) is better with my old Yamaha (may be my personal feeling or I got use to that sound quality).
Audio comparisons are tough because we are not machines, and our memory of sound quality is subject to the many influences of expectations, mood, etc.
Any product by Yamaha or Denon should be fully capable of accurately amplifying and passing the signal from the source to speakers without distorting the sound (after all if Brand X AVR is warm, that is a distortion, etc).
Assuming your perception is correct, the obvious explanation would fall with the setup parameters!
If you can, go through your Yamaha AVR and list any types of processing engaged. Almost all of the main AVR manufacturers have similar features (because the competition is so tight).
One feature on the Denon that many (myself included) like is Audyssey DynamicEQ! If it is not already on, you might engage and see if that doesn't resolve the issue. That would be my "Hail Mary" attempt at an instant solution!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis