Denon AVR-X3600H vs AVR-X3700H or AVR-X4500H?

C

chriscym

Enthusiast
Warranty sounds good but it may not be the protection you are hoping for. If a receiver has been in use for a year or two there is a high probability of wear on components from the high heat the Denon/Marantz units generate.

My Denon 4500 Height amps died within 9 months of purchase. I paid $86 to send it into to Denon's authorized repair a month ago and they still don't have parts to fix it. Who knows when the repair might be completed?

With the high heat of these units - buying a used unit is high risk and warranty repairs are really slow with high shipping fees.
do you recommend using a laptop flat bottom fan to help remove extra heat?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
C

chriscym

Enthusiast
Here is a cooling option:
I wonder how are these

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Warranty sounds good but it may not be the protection you are hoping for. If a receiver has been in use for a year or two there is a high probability of wear on components from the high heat the Denon/Marantz units generate.

My Denon 4500 Height amps died within 9 months of purchase. I paid $86 to send it into to Denon's authorized repair a month ago and they still don't have parts to fix it. Who knows when the repair might be completed?

With the high heat of these units - buying a used unit is high risk and warranty repairs are really slow with high shipping fees.
Oh without a doubt, I plan on getting legit AVR cooler. They got the AC infinity which is nice, I found a cheaper one from a different company for 50 with 4 120’s, just no temp reading. But you can adjust speed of fans and everything.

I know it’s not usual but I got an AC in my “theater” room. Where I got all my set ups, always constantly 70 to 71 degrees. Not that that will help the unit, just saying that it’s kept cool in general cause my PC gets hot and always run it at consistent temps inside to keep it running cool. It doesn’t really like 80 or higher, as it is overclocked.

Right now I’m running only 2 channel on it and it does get hot. I put two PC fans on top to shoot air up and out. But it’s not super efficient. Anything helps

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
Actually, the iPad app lets me save as many configurations as I want. And it's far easier than trying to use the USB drive restore feature. The problem is every time you change the "amp assign" configuration Audyssey turns off. It wont go back on until you complete a new Audyssey EQ session or reload an existing Audyssey config file that you previously created for that amp assign setting.

You can do a complete redo of Audyssey for each "amp assign" setting and reload it using the iPad, but that means you have to get out the mic, spend 20 minutes on creating each Audyssey configuration and then save them. That's for each amp assign configuration.

In addition, some configuration cannot be initially created on the iPad until first setup using the remote with the TV. This happens when you need to add channels that are not currently active and iPad cannot see them until after the remote activates them.

Once you start trying all this you see what a hot mess it is. :D
If you pick a setting and stay with it - you don't experience this.
That is the beauty of the usb backup/restore is it saves everything... amp assign, speaker layouts and Audyssey etc. For example I want to experiment with both 7.1.6 (6 atmos) vs 9.1.4 (4 atmos and 2 front wide). Putting each configuration on usb makes it fairly easy to switch between them.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
After runnning the 3700 for 2 days, I found that the AVR runs very hot almost I can do a BBQ with it :D Now I am not sure if I should put it under a cabinet, if I do so I definately need a good ventilation system inside the cabinet.

I guess its worth to invest in these https://www.acinfinity.com/receiver-amp-cooling-fans
I bought the Aircom unit. It's a heavy piece of junk that even on low speed can be heard from my seat 11 feet away. I returned it to Amazon. My 2nd try was the AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7, Quiet Dual 120mm USB Fan. It costs a small fraction of what the Aircom costs, runs much quieter in the low position and does a great job cooling the receiver.

The fans come with a USB plug so I bought this USB iPad/iPhone charger for $12.99. It gives me an extra cable for the iPad and a USB charger port I plug into the same power strip as the receiver. I turn off the strip when I'm not using the receiver. When I turn the power strip on the fans and the receiver are ready to run.

This is the best way I found to keep the receiver cool.

Last edited:
E

ensco

Enthusiast
Hello,

This is my first time posting.

If I use the amp assign feature for either a AVR-X3600H or a X4500H – To set the front channel to disconnect from the internal amp to allow cleaner (up to 2V+) front channel preamp output going to an external amp – Will the correct output signals be sent to my 5.2 speaker system or will I lose audio signal information because I don't have enough speakers in the system ?

Trying to decide: for current 5.2 and for future 4k TV 7.2.... ?

AVR-X3600H ($900) + Emotiva (2ch 150 watt/ch amp) ($400) = ($1300 Total)
X3600H has HDCP 2.3 vs 2.2 – Is this an advatage with 4k eqmnt or only with 8k eqmnt ?
Atmos height virtualization – How effective/important is this feature ? (5.2 doesn't apply)

Or

AVR-X4500H ($1200)
More power output – 2 line display
DDSC – Auro 3D – Bass Sync – I’ve never experienced these – so I don’t know.
I have a 60watt Emotiva 2ch. amp for surround channel hookup.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations & suggestions.

Ensco

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Hello,

If I use the amp assign feature for either a AVR-X3600H or a X4500H – To set the front channel to disconnect from the internal amp to allow cleaner (up to 2V+) front channel preamp output going to an external amp – Will the correct output signals be sent to my 5.2 speaker system or will I lose audio signal information because I don't have enough speakers in the system ?

X3600H has HDCP 2.3 vs 2.2 – Is this an advatage with 4k eqmnt or only with 8k eqmnt ?
Atmos height virtualization – How effective/important is this feature ? (5.2 doesn't apply)

Or

AVR-X4500H ($1200)

Ensco
Hey Enseco, I see you are posting on a question from another user. You may get some responses, however it would be better to post your own thread so everyone can see it

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Hello,

Or

AVR-X4500H ($1200)

Ensco
Question #1: Using amp assign on the Denon 3600 or 4500 to set fronts to preamp mode does not impact the rest of your speakers. It just tells the receiver to use pre-outs for fronts.

Question #2: You will not lose music with 5.2. But you may miss the occasional slam of a back door or other rear surround effects in a movie. But to be honest you won't even notice it.

Qyuestion #3: If you are not considering setting up front and rear highs then you won't miss the Auro-3D feature in the 4500 or 4700. In that case, I would go with the 3600 or 3700.

I have owned Denon 4500 and currently own two Denon 4700's. I would never buy a 4500 again. It's more than 3 year old tech that does not measure up to the 4700. The preamp mode in the 3700 and 4700 are worth it to me and in the 4700 there are more Auro 3D features.

If front and rear height speakers are not in your future consider the 3600 or 3700. Personally, I really like the ability to use it as a preamp and the dual presets in the 3700 let you change configurations on the fly.

Based on what you have said, I would look for a dealer that would give you 10% off on a new Denon 3700. The small extra fee is worth it over the 3600 to me. Listenup.com will discount Denon receivers if you ask. Other retailers may do so as well.

F

Fafaneboat

Audioholic Intern
After runnning the 3700 for 2 days, I found that the AVR runs very hot almost I can do a BBQ with it :D Now I am not sure if I should put it under a cabinet, if I do so I definately need a good ventilation system inside the cabinet.

I guess its worth to invest in these https://www.acinfinity.com/receiver-amp-cooling-fans
Hello, I didn't read the whole post so pardon me if it's been discussed but I just bought an AVR-X3700H and there are 2 computer fans pointing upward at the bottom of the amp right underneath the heatsinks, don't yours?? This should suffice, assuming there's enough clearance above it....

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Hello, I didn't read the whole post so pardon me if it's been discussed but I just bought an AVR-X3700H and there are 2 computer fans pointing upward at the bottom of the amp right underneath the heatsinks, don't yours?? This should suffice, assuming there's enough clearance above it....
My personal suggestions to anyone, and even being very new to home theater, that Denon and Marantz run really hot seems to be a consensus.

If you plan on keeping this unit for a while, which we assume you would, you can buy a AVR cooler.

you got two options,

AC Infinity
If you want to spend more money and get a pretty product.

CoolerGuys
If you want real performance to keep your unit ice cold. I use the 4 fan setup, it has more airflow vs AC infinity 3 fans.

Second, I choose CoolerGuys because you can easily change out the fans to any fans you like. If the fan dies you can replace it very easily.

You also have the option of putting Noctua fans, which will have you running at sub zero temps practically. They are the strongest industrial grade fans. But they run at 30 a piece.

I paid 59.99 for my CoolerGuys vs 120 for the AC Infinity. Currently on sale for 69.95, great deal, link below

I run my AVR usually 4-8 hours per day, the unit is never hot and I got a Marantz 7013.

F

Fafaneboat

Audioholic Intern
My personal suggestions to anyone, and even being very new to home theater, that Denon and Marantz run really hot seems to be a consensus.

If you plan on keeping this unit for a while, which we assume you would, you can buy a AVR cooler.

you got two options,

AC Infinity
If you want to spend more money and get a pretty product.

CoolerGuys
If you want real performance to keep your unit ice cold. I use the 4 fan setup, it has more airflow vs AC infinity 3 fans.

Second, I choose CoolerGuys because you can easily change out the fans to any fans you like. If the fan dies you can replace it very easily.

You also have the option of putting Noctua fans, which will have you running at sub zero temps practically. They are the strongest industrial grade fans. But they run at 30 a piece.

I paid 59.99 for my CoolerGuys vs 120 for the AC Infinity. Currently on sale for 69.95, great deal, link below

I run my AVR usually 4-8 hours per day, the unit is never hot and I got a Marantz 7013.

Thanks for the advice! :)
Do all Denon and Marantz that run hot also have factory fans inside? This is my 4rth receiver and the first one that actually have an active cooling system pre-installed and I actually find its kinda well thought!

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the advice! :)
Do all Denon and Marantz that run hot also have factory fans inside? This is my 4rth receiver and the first one that actually have an active cooling system pre-installed and I actually find its kinda well thought!
Mine doesn’t, I believe the newer units have those fans at the bottom. I mean that fan helps, but you want real fans pulling that heat out.

Help your heat sinks keep up, I know my unit does get really hot even after 20 mins of being on, yet you must consider my unit puts out more power which is more heat, and that CoolerGuys unit does a phenomenal job.

I was worried those fans wouldn’t be enough, and I was willing to invest the 120 on those 4 Noctua fans but it works out just fine.

Many people say like the AC infinity has a temperature read out on the unit. Which is fine, but if you touch the top of your unit and it feels like it hasn’t even been turned on there’s absolutely no point in needing that.

They aren’t loud either, you can adjust the fan speed with the controller and I always put it on max speed and a lot of the time I forget to shut it off and can’t even notice it.

F

Fafaneboat

Audioholic Intern
Mine doesn’t, I believe the newer units have those fans at the bottom. I mean that fan helps, but you want real fans pulling that heat out.

Help your heat sinks keep up, I know my unit does get really hot even after 20 mins of being on, yet you must consider my unit puts out more power which is more heat, and that CoolerGuys unit does a phenomenal job.

I was worried those fans wouldn’t be enough, and I was willing to invest the 120 on those 4 Noctua fans but it works out just fine.

Many people say like the AC infinity has a temperature read out on the unit. Which is fine, but if you touch the top of your unit and it feels like it hasn’t even been turned on there’s absolutely no point in needing that.

They aren’t loud either, you can adjust the fan speed with the controller and I always put it on max speed and a lot of the time I forget to shut it off and can’t even notice it.
Agreed 100%, I'll address these heat issues when needed. My cabinet currently has a 120mm Noctua fan installed in the back near the top to extract the warm air from the Pioneer unit being replaced. There's a much needed 12 inch clearance before first shelve. It has always worked well and I'm looking forward to set this new Denon up to see how actually warm it'll be. I have another Noctua, probably a thermaltake and a few other smaller units as I used to be a wanabee geek some years back.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Agreed 100%, I'll address these heat issues when needed. My cabinet currently has a 120mm Noctua fan installed in the back near the top to extract the warm air from the Pioneer unit being replaced. There's a much needed 12 inch clearance before first shelve. It has always worked well and I'm looking forward to set this new Denon up to see how actually warm it'll be. I have another Noctua, probably a thermaltake and a few other smaller units as I used to be a wanabee geek some years back.
These are the specific units I’m talking about.

They are the monsters, one of those fans has 3 and 1/2 times the power of one of the cooler guys lol
359DC08A-0AFC-4EC6-8A11-2D037FD23C86.jpeg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
These are the specific units I’m talking about.

They are the monsters, one of those fans has 3 and 1/2 times the power of one of the cooler guys lol
View attachment 43645
But do you need such a large capacity fan? What's the dB level at its minimum 750 rpm? The max level looks pretty high....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis