Denon AVR-X3400H/X3500H/X4400H/X4500H Owners thread

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have an Emotiva XPA 5 driving the front 3. And an Emotiva UPA 7 driving the heights and back surrounds. Only the front surround right and left are being driven by the reciever. What I meant by a gain of 32 is that's the gain on those amplifiers. From what I understand Emotiva set them kind off high back in the day until customers asked them to lower that down on newer models. From what Gene said back in the day in a review on the UPA-7 it's about 2 to 3db higher then amps usually are set. From what I've been told that gain value on those amps is considered kind off higher then most power amplifiers usually are. I thought it might be affecting Audyssey in adjusting to it.
Of course it affects the level settings. Those Emo amps are about 3 dB hot compared to other popular power amps and AVRs. So it is normal that Audyssey/Denon reduced the levels versus the Crown amp that probably has a gain of about 29 dB. So leave it alone, if you reduce it manually your front 3 levels will be no longer match the other 8 channels, they will be too loud and you won't feel the surround effects you deserve.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I also read about some reported that it being turned on by itself with Dolby signal. I have no idea what happened to those people. If you go to the menu, press set defaults, it would set loudness management to "ON" and Dynamic compression to "OFF". I have never seen it changed to "Auto", after playing many Dolby stuff, disc, or digital files...

Now, the owner'a manual is confusing as it says:

View attachment 26362

See the confusing part in the second bullet. That's why I ran some test with Dolby disc/files, again, have never seen it changed to "Auto" from "Off" automatically. Would you please try it too and see what happens, if you have some spare time?
I was running some discs last night and was checking on this same thing never once did it get set to auto. I think with mine the first time was due to previous owner setting it there and I was not aware to look out for it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was running some discs last night and was checking on this same thing never once did it get set to auto. I think with mine the first time was due to previous owner setting it there and I was not aware to look out for it.
I think you are right. If one wants to make it bullet proof, one can set loudness management to off. That way the DRC adjustment is disabled altogether.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I think you are right. If one wants to make it bullet proof, one can set loudness management to off. That way the DRC adjustment is disabled altogether.
That's what I did I just turned the whole thing off

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Of course it affects the level settings. Those Emo amps are about 3 dB hot compared to other popular power amps and AVRs. So it is normal that Audyssey/Denon reduced the levels versus the Crown amp that probably has a gain of about 29 dB. So leave it alone, if you reduce it manually your front 3 levels will be no longer match the other 8 channels, they will be too loud and you won't feel the surround effects you deserve.
Ehhhh I raised them last night and really like how they sound. So I'll probably raise the surrounds to match them. Not worried about the ceilings since its setting them at +1.5 to +2 across the board. Since the mains were at -4.5 to -5.5 across the board respectively. I think that's a pretty big swing and I can still hear them loud and clear. I'm not worried about overdriving anymore since I figured out my dynamic issue. I never have it above 78 most times less then that. So as long as I keep the swings within +-3db on either side of 0 I think I'm just going to flavor them to taste. See what I like best. I ended up with -1.5 - 2.5 and -1.5 on the main three yesterday so I'll just tailor the surrounds to match and keep the ceilings where they are at since they are coming on loud and clear. When I go to all external amps and match the amps with all crowns this will probably be a lot simpler. The Emotivas are fun and I'm liking there sound but I like the crowns better and there light weight easy placement and keeping them cool just is going to win out for me. Plus it's easier to replace one of those if they go bad then fixing those monster Emotivas.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Dynamic volume is set to on after Audyssey setup in some avrs. My 4520 does this, my Onkyo did not.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Dynamic volume is set to on after Audyssey setup in some avrs. My 4520 does this, my Onkyo did not.
After this run on Audyssey it asked me if I wanted it set to on I think it did that both times I ran it. I think thats how they have it set up on the 4400. My Onkyo doesn't do that either.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
After this run on Audyssey it asked me if I wanted it set to on I think it did that both times I ran it. I think thats how they have it set up on the 4400. My Onkyo doesn't do that either.
Sorry about HD's old flagship, the newer models are more polite, they ask first, and do take no for an answer.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry about HD's old flagship, the newer models are more polite, they ask first, and do take no for an answer.
See this is why I'm still single beautiful PB 4000's all around me and polite avr's that ask first and take no for an answer. Who needs a relationship when you have all that? ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If they were truly polite they'd just set it to no until you actually need such a thing :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ehhhh I raised them last night and really like how they sound. So I'll probably raise the surrounds to match them.
My friend, there is absolutely no need to raise those levels post re-calibration. Any effects you heard with the lower levels after substituting the Crown amps with the XPA-5 was not real (with due respect:D). Now, that's assuming you placed the mic in the exact same positions and you have not changed yous listening position, otherwise things could change a little, obviously. I am sure @lovinthehd will agree with me on this.

If you measure the spl of the front 3, you will get the same spl (equally loud),as before even with the lower levels than they were when the Crown amps were in place, at the same volume position. Having said that, if it makes you happier to see the higher numbers, then yes, you are right, you can simply raise the levels of the other channels to match.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
My friend, there is absolutely no need to raise those levels post re-calibration. Any effects you heard with the lower levels after substituting the Crown amps with the XPA-5 was not real (with due respect:D). Now, that's assuming you placed the mic in the exact same positions and you have not changed yous listening position, otherwise things could change a little, obviously. I am sure @lovinthehd will agree with me on this.

If you measure the spl of the front 3, you will get the same spl (equally loud),as before even with the lower levels than they were when the Crown amps were in place, at the same volume position. Having said that, if it makes you happier to see the higher numbers, then yes, you are right, you can simply raise the levels of the other channels to match.
Ehhh it makes me happier so I did it. Lol. I know you guys are right tho. But sometimes I just gotta be a little superstitious borderline OCD :D

Q

Quest4GoodEnough

Audiophyte
Just got the eARC update notification on my X4400H. Haven't ran it yet.

Edit: Estimated time was 14 mins. It took 7 mins. Everything appears to be working as intended.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I updated too, but I don't think my 2017 Sony can do eARC so it won't make a difference for me. Are all, or most 2008 4K TV eARC capable?

Q

Quest4GoodEnough

Audiophyte
I updated too, but I don't think my 2017 Sony can do eARC so it won't make a difference for me. Are all, or most 2008 4K TV eARC capable?
From what I've seen, most 2018 TVs aren't even eARC capable. There was an August article about a few Sony TVs being the first with it. Unless the TVs overshot their HDMI requirements, they probably won't even bring the feature to earlier TVs. This receiver getting eARC is just a good safety net for a new TV purchase I guess and less need for waiting on HDMI 2.1 to purchase a receiver. And I'm happy for that because I was looking at having to let HDMI 2.1 become a thing and then wait for the receiver to become a year old for discounts.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Just got the eARC update notification on my X4400H. Haven't ran it yet.

Edit: Estimated time was 14 mins. It took 7 mins. Everything appears to be working as intended.
I got mine too. :)

I’ve got the X4400H as well. Too bad my TV is a 2010 1080p. :(

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I got mine too. :)

I’ve got the X4400H as well. Too bad my TV is a 2010 1080p. :(
Well then you are in luck because now you have an excuse to upgrade your TV when HDMI 2.2 is out, along with eARC. For other like me who just got our new TV, we are going to have to find another way to test drive this new feature.

W

Waveform

Audioholic Intern
Just finding my way around my x4500h; I noticed that there is no subwoofer output in Stereo mode. What am I doing wrong?
My speakers are manually set to Small crossed over at 60Hz (Audyssey setup had found them as large). The Audyssey setting is LFE+Main. The sub LPF is at 120Hz. The Denon app shows output to all channels (11.2) in any of the surround modes (e.g. matrix, Dolby surround etc., but no sub output in the Stereo mode).

Thanks

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Just finding my way around my x4500h; I noticed that there is no subwoofer output in Stereo mode. What am I doing wrong?
My speakers are manually set to Small crossed over at 60Hz (Audyssey setup had found them as large). The Audyssey setting is LFE+Main. The sub LPF is at 120Hz. The Denon app shows output to all channels (11.2) in any of the surround modes (e.g. matrix, Dolby surround etc., but no sub output in the Stereo mode).

Thanks
After setting up your 4500 with Audyssey with your sub(s) connected go to the setup menu under Speakers: 2ch Playback. Make sure subwoofer is set to yes.

111.png

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis