Denon AVR-X3400H/X3500H/X4400H/X4500H Owners thread

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That’s crazy. I hadn’t ever heard of that until the other day.

Not sure if you’re saying to turn off DEQ but what I was reading about is not deq. It’s a DRC flagged by the title as you mentioned, but to turn it off, I guess you have to have a movie playing, and then go into the sound management and turn sound management ON, because the DRC will be grayed out and set to auto. Once you change it from auto to off, then you turn sound management off so it can’t ever get flagged back on by the auto setting. This apparently is only related to the newer denons. 4300(maybe) and up.
I will go and try to find where I saw that.
Avs Dolby Atmos home theater edition iirc.
I think he's in fact talking about dynamic compression (that's why you are talking about) in his post#75 and not DEQ. Then in post#78 he shifted to dynamic volume, not DEQ though. Can't you just leave the dynamic range compression setting to auto and forget about? You can check back occasionally but I doubt it will change by itself to on or off, and it is hard for it to be changed by mistake because the setting is buried in the menu and can only be set when playing Dolby stuff. There's more chance the ECO mode would change without us knowing because it's not hard to press that button on the remote, I've done it at least once lol..

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Not sure if you’re saying to turn off DEQ but what I was reading about is not deq. It’s a DRC flagged by the title as you mentioned, but to turn it off, I guess you have to have a movie playing, and then go into the sound management and turn sound management ON, because the DRC will be grayed out and set to auto. Once you change it from auto to off, then you turn sound management off so it can’t ever get flagged back on by the auto setting. This apparently is only related to the newer denons. 4300(maybe) and up.
That also was lit up on mine. I had to turn off the Audyssey. But also in audio that section you mentioned was lit up and I needed to turn it off as well. That was a good catch bro appreciate the heads up

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think he's in fact talking about dynamic compression (that's why you are talking about) in his post#75 and not DEQ. Then in post#78 he shifted to dynamic volume, not DEQ though. Can't you just leave the dynamic range compression setting to auto and forget about? You can check back occasionally but I doubt it will change by itself to on or off. There's more chance the ECO mode would change without us knowing because it's not hard to press that button on the remote, I've done it at least once lol..
Hi @PENG. I believe the problem with leaving it on, is certain titles will flag the avr to turn it on, in effectively crippling the dynamics of the movie. For me any, this is a deal breaker. DRC schemes are an abomination of the industry(whoa I just heard TLSguy in there) and I have no use for them.
What has been reported is that when it gets turned on, as you’d expect, the movie sounds just like there’s no dynamic range.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I think he's in fact talking about dynamic compression (that's why you are talking about) in his post#75 and not DEQ. Then in post#78 he shifted to dynamic volume, not DEQ though. Can't you just leave the dynamic range compression setting to auto and forget about? You can check back occasionally but I doubt it will change by itself to on or off, and it is hard for it to be changed by mistake because the setting is buried in the menu and can only be set when playing Dolby stuff. There's more chance the ECO mode would change without us knowing because it's not hard to press that button on the remote, I've done it at least once lol..
Mine was an open item so I bet the previous owner had it set up and I just failed to look for it when I didn't reboot everything. I just missed the setting. Glad you guys pointed it out. I should have done a total factory reset when I set it up. But I had a bad Wi-Fi experience with an item I did that one time where the whole thing just crashed. So I'm always scared to do it now. I know it's irrational but it is what it is :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That also was lit up on mine. I had to turn off the Audyssey. But also in audio that section you mentioned was lit up and I needed to turn it off as well. That was a good catch bro appreciate the heads up
Roger that! I hate that $hit! My dish network box has a setting in it for the audio section for high or low dynamic range. Basically one for TV and one for theaters. DUUUUUUMB!!!!
Btw I was meaning to hit your sub build thread but I was feeling like a dog crapped me out on my lawn for a few days.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Mine was an open item so I bet the previous owner had it set up and I just failed to look for it when I didn't reboot everything. I just missed the setting. Glad you guys pointed it out. I should have done a total factory reset when I set it up. But I had a bad Wi-Fi experience with an item I did that one time where the whole thing just crashed. So I'm always scared to do it now. I know it's irrational but it is what it is :)
Fwiw I think the factory reset would have put it back to auto, IF the previous owner had actually turned it if. Maybe...

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hi @PENG. I believe the problem with leaving it on, is certain titles will flag the avr to turn it on, in effectively crippling the dynamics of the movie. For me any, this is a deal breaker. DRC schemes are an abomination of the industry(whoa I just heard TLSguy in there) and I have no use for them.
What has been reported is that when it gets turned on, as you’d expect, the movie sounds just like there’s no dynamic range.
And that's what I think I was complaining about to you PENG why I kept having to turn the volume up so high. I'm like William here if there's even a chance it could do it why risk it. I'd rather just leave it off. I too don't like those programs and being single I don't have too thankfully:D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
And that's what I think I was complaining about to you PENG why I kept having to turn the volume up so high. I'm like William here if there's even a chance it could do it why risk it. I'd rather just leave it off. I too don't like those programs and being single I don't have too thankfully:D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Where did you get DEQ from what I posted? I was just mentioning something similar pre-atmos with drc being automatically set.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You are right, but being auto, I assume it would only take effect for those titles only. I don't want any dynamic compression, flags or no flags so I have it set to off, and it has never changed so far. D&M has done the right thing by having Off to be the default setting.

Now that you mentioned it, I can see a potential problem for D&M. People could have set it to auto by mistake, end up returning or selling their unit and get a Yamaha instead.:D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Roger that! I hate that $hit! My dish network box has a setting in it for the audio section for high or low dynamic range. Basically one for TV and one for theaters. DUUUUUUMB!!!!
Btw I was meaning to hit your sub build thread but I was feeling like a dog crapped me out on my lawn for a few days.
Man I feel you on that one I work swing shifts at the hospital. And pulled overtime this weekend. So I'm just beat to a pulp right now. Man I'm really serious about building those subs. I don't want to spend big money on commercial if they can't match the 4000's and there cylinders are just too tall. It's because I'm relying on them being as good as the 4000's and willing to invest some serious cash and want to get them right the first time out that I'm gonna need a lotta help. I'm not exactly a handy man LOL but I'm really good once I catch on to something. I'll definitely be in touch with you about that build thread. And thanks for that driver link that 15 you showed me is sic!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Where did you get DEQ from what I posted? I was just mentioning something similar pre-atmos with drc being automatically set.
Sorry. Me dumb..... I looked back and saw you wrote dynamic volume.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As I mentioned before, there are so many things an user could do to mess up the performance of their brand new AVRs. Some (hopefully very few) may not bother to investigate or ask questions first, instead they may just return/sell, and grab another brand, hence so many refurbished units shortly after launch. I bet more often than not, D&M, or even Yamaha, would first do a factory default, found no issue, re-package, off it goes to the refurbished outlets..

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You are right, but being auto, I assume it would only take effect for those titles only. I don't want any dynamic compression, flags or no flags so I have it set to off, and it has never changed so far. D&M has done the right thing by having Off to be the default setting.

Now that you mentioned it, I can see a potential problem for D&M. People could have set it to auto by mistake, end up returning or selling their unit and get a Yamaha instead.:D
I totally agree. The end user can be his own worst enemy! I know I sure can!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
As I mentioned before, there are so many things an user could do to mess up the performance of their brand new AVRs. Some (hopefully very few) may not bother to investigate or ask questions first, instead they may just return/sell, and grab another brand, hence so many refurbished units shortly after launch. I bet more often than not, D&M, or even Yamaha, would first do a factory default, found no issue, re-package, off it goes to the refurbished outlets..
And that is one more reason this is such a great thread you guys have already helped me through a couple of those scenarios already your so right about it being complicated. Thanks again PENG for taking the time to do this!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Fwiw I think the factory reset would have put it back to auto, IF the previous owner had actually turned it if. Maybe...
Not really, and it is smart of D&M's part that default setting is "OFF", so if you do a factory reset, it should go back to "Off", what ever it was set to before.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
And that is one more reason this is such a great thread you guys have already helped me through a couple of those scenarios already your so right about it being complicated. Thanks again PENG for taking the time to do this!
You thanked me too much already and I thanked you too for helping me keep my mind sharp lol..
That's the nice thing about this forum though, that people can talk and exchange ideas freely, and have fun at the same time.

So have you hooked up your new amp and switched ECO to "ON' yet? If so, please confirm the unit now runs noticeably cooler, or not.:D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You thanked me too much already and I thanked you too for helping me keep my mind sharp lol..
That's the nice thing about this forum though, that people can talk and exchange ideas freely, and have fun at the same time.

So have you hooked up your new amp and switched ECO to "ON' yet? If so, please confirm the unit now runs noticeably cooler, or not.:D
I did but running the surrounds on the 200 watt per channel one they were distorting whenever I turned the volume up. It's the only spot I had room for them. They just not rated for that not even close and I need the big one for the mains. So I still have the Denon driving the front R and front L surround. And that sounds terrific. So I'm not able to run it on ECO mode just yet. :(

I can say the benefits of using almost all external amplification tho. It literally never gets warm. And these things are supposed to run quiet warm. And the Denon whether in eco mode or not has that cool green bar that tells you what power your using. It never even comes close now to halfway.

Next year Ill be able to do it I'm going to run crown 2002's for the front 3 when I upgrade to 3 SVS ultra towers. Crown 1502's for the 4 prime tower surrounds I'll have. And just use the UPA-7 for my heights. I'll let you know what eco mode does for its performance.

That should be a pretty big statement for how I feel about my experience with the crown 1002's. I really really like how they sound with the Denon. I'll just want more power and headroom so I don't have to crank the volume knob although that's pretty much an non issue since I made those adjustments we were speaking about above.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Although come to think about I may just keep the 1002's and run them on my heights. In fact I think that's what I'll do. I'll just flip the Emotivas when I'm ready to do all this.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Not really, and it is smart of D&M's part that default setting is "OFF", so if you do a factory reset, it should go back to "Off", what ever it was set to before.
Interesting. The reason I said it that was because I got the impression that auto was the factory setting. At least that’s how I undertone guys that were reporting about it. However I was very sick and my brain function could have been even less than normal!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis