Denon AVR 4500 or 6500

C

Cloud Strife

Enthusiast
Hi all,

Need help please, I am a beginner

Currently I have a Denon 3500 matched with Q Aquistics 5.1 speakers 3050

I am planning to upgrade my receiver and would like to have a 7.1.2 setup (ceiling speakers for atmos). What is your recommendation, shall I go with the 6500 or 4500?

I know the difference is minimal between both and I understand 6500 is made in Japan but does it make a difference.

My room is a bit small 4 meters by 4 meters

Thanks in advance

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Hi all,

I am planning to upgrade my receiver and would like to have a 7.1.2 setup (ceiling speakers for atmos). What is your recommendation, shall I go with the 6500 or 4500?

I know the difference is minimal between both and I understand 6500 is made in Japan but does it make a difference.

Thanks in advance
What do you need the 4500 or 6500 for? What features do they have that your 3500 has that you absolutely need? If none, then your 3500 should be good enough. If you're going to drop that kind of money on an AVR you might as well go get yourself a amplifier.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Are you having issues with your Current AVR? You Stated your wanting Atmos. What’s the Source you’re using now? A 4K UHD Blu-ray player? need a little more info on what you already have. Your wanting more power output thinking you’ll need more power output because you’ll be adding more speaker’s? Your not giving enough info please share some more about room size also. There are a Lot of Denon fans on AH, are there any other AVR Manufacturers that you would be interested in or have used before. By the way, your not a beginner as for the gear you have Now? You must know or have some Knowledge of audio or you wouldn’t have Chosen the gear you have now which isn’t low-end gear. I see that on AH all the time Newbies to AH post that up most of the time just to break the ice. But I get you point using “beginner” some of the older members on AH have been known to help out with tips and Suggestions and share freely the information and knowledge that they have.
Others will and have Browbeat some new members To death so to speak with (Audio-correction) think when Autocorrection is used with the wrong spelling in a Sentence. But fun and Pun is More than Welcome on AH. Welcome to your Truth in Audio Journey! You have come to the right Forum. Please post up as many Questions or ask for advice on any Thread again Welcome to the fold!

Carl

Last edited:
C

Cloud Strife

Enthusiast
Thank you guys for the replies.

My AVR is in excellent condition, nothing wrong with it and there are no specific features an looking for. But I thought the AVR is an Amplifier itself lol

What would an amplifier do?

I have an 8K samsung TV Q900 82" and I am using my X box to play 4k blu ray discs

Am looking for the best sound quality and power enough for a 4 meter by 4 meter room.

I was told Denon is the best, am open for suggestions.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Thank you guys for the replies.

My AVR is in excellent condition, nothing wrong with it and there are no specific features an looking for. But I thought the AVR is an Amplifier itself lol

What would an amplifier do?

I have an 8K samsung TV Q900 82" and I am using my X box to play 4k blu ray discs

Am looking for the best sound quality and power enough for a 4 meter by 4 meter room.

I was told Denon is the best, am open for suggestions.
Every speaker you plug into that AVR will decrease the wattage to each speaker. So if you have 9 speakers plugged in, you'll probably only get about 30-40w/speaker. If you purchased an amplifier, lets say the monoprice 9 channel, your front 3 LCR will each get 200w/channel (8ohm) and the remaining channels for sides and surrounds will get 100w/channel. And all that can be had for $2000. Using that vs your AVR will make your speakers sound so much better and you can listen at louder levels if you want.

Also, ditch the Xbox for a 4k player. Go get yourself a dedicated 4k player. Plenty to choose from like the Sony or Panasonic. Price range about $200-$500. Your picture and sound will be better on one of those rather than your Xbox.

Denon is a great company but i wouldn't' call them the absolute best. But if you are a fan of Denon, then stick with them if they make you happy.

C

Cloud Strife

Enthusiast
Every speaker you plug into that AVR will decrease the wattage to each speaker. So if you have 9 speakers plugged in, you'll probably only get about 30-40w/speaker. If you purchased an amplifier, lets say the monoprice 9 channel, your front 3 LCR will each get 200w/channel (8ohm) and the remaining channels for sides and surrounds will get 100w/channel. And all that can be had for $2000. Using that vs your AVR will make your speakers sound so much better and you can listen at louder levels if you want.

Also, ditch the Xbox for a 4k player. Go get yourself a dedicated 4k player. Plenty to choose from like the Sony or Panasonic. Price range about $200-$500. Your picture and sound will be better on one of those rather than your Xbox.

Denon is a great company but i wouldn't' call them the absolute best. But if you are a fan of Denon, then stick with them if they make you happy.

Thanks alot for the important info

I used the Xbox coz in many reviews I found ppl saying that Xbox is better. But now I will definitely get a dedicated one, please recommend the best

As for the amp, is there a specific manufacturer/model you would recommend?

What if I still want to spend money on my home theater after getting the amp, dont you recommend upgrading my AVR?

If yes, 6500 or 4500?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

Nice Recommendation on a Dedicated 4K player.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Denon and Marantz say that with all channels populated and in use, you will see 70% of the rated power per channel. Using my Marantz, I would agree with that.

All bets are off if you go All-Channel Stereo, though, and push the same signal through all amp channels an higher SPLs... but for movies, tv, games, running 9-channels shouldn't be to difficullt for that Denon.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Thanks alot for the important info

I used the Xbox coz in many reviews I found ppl saying that Xbox is better. But now I will definitely get a dedicated one, please recommend the best

As for the amp, is there a specific manufacturer/model you would recommend?

What if I still want to spend money on my home theater after getting the amp, dont you recommend upgrading my AVR?

If yes, 6500 or 4500?
If you have money to burn and you want the "Best", the Panasonic UB-9000, the Oppo-205/203 (you'll have to find a used one since they don't make them anymore). The step down but still awesome is the Panasonic UB-820. The Sony X800m2 is another solid player.

Monoprice makes great amps for the money. Outlaw amps are another great product. If you want to spend a little more you can check out Anthem or ATI. Rotel is another great company that makes amps.

You don't need to upgrade your AVR if you get an amp. If you get an amp and move all your speakers to that amp, your AVR will be left to do all the processing. You don't need the 4500 or 6500 cause your 3500 has everything you need.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
More importantly, if considering amp... what is your preferred volume level? What speakers do you have? Are you using a Sub?
I am not anti-Amp... you can see in my signature that I have a few channels on external amplification... :)

But Amps do not change sound quality. Neither will changing AVRs, or going straight separates.

This is a handy tool to help you understand what you may need in terms of amplification, if any at all:
Peak SPL Calculator

Cheers!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Any additional recommendations after giving you more info buddy?
On a choice of 4K player? Price? post that it would use Of Dedicated 4K player. The price of those run from on sale 150 bucks plus tax and up to 1k and more. Have you looked into maybe a Dedicated 4K UHD player? I wouldn’t know your Interests. Some use a source of streaming to get everything in one place think a PC something other than a PC for Streaming. Some AH members have Deep Pockets use both Sources.Now as to (more). Info? if your look for specs or which one would be the most Reliable? Or Quality? You seem to have a good Grasp, the Recommendation of ditching the Xbox as a dedicated 4K player.

Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hi all,

Thanks in advance
Mostly agreeing with post #2.

No need to upgrade the 3500...yes, it only has 7 amps in it but it does have pre-outs to add another amp for your 7.1.2 system.

Add a 3 or 5 channel amp and you are good to go.

7.1 in your space is going to be cramped for your rear surrounds unless you sit really close to the speakers....my suggestion...wire for 7 channels, but go with 5.1 initially, add the atmos and see how you like it. Then add the two surrounds if you think it will work out.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's a nice chunk of change to spend for a lateral move (no real gains anywhere). Agree with finding a 2 or 3 channel amp to offload the front stage and open up 2 more channels using the 3500.

I didn't see what you're using for subwoofage. That kind of receiver money can get you some pretty good subwoofage. My experience here tells me that way too many people tend to skimp on subs. A good subwoofer can elevate an entire system.

*Edit: I use a Xbox 1X for Blu rays and find it works just fine. Depending on what you have now, I'd be looking at subwoofage. Whether it's an upgrade or a second matching one.

C

Cloud Strife

Enthusiast
Q Aquistics 3060S subwoofer, it came together with the 2 tower speaker and 2 bookshelf speakers 3020

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Q Aquistics 3060S subwoofer, it came together with the 2 tower speaker and 2 bookshelf speakers 3020
Is it this one?
3060iarcticwhite.jpg

If so, you my friend, have enormous potential for real, audible sonic improvements to your overall sound by replacing that sub. How big an area are you working with? I haven't looked up those speakers yet, but there appears to be a disproportion between the quality of your speaker system and the quality of your receiver. How far along are you? Too late to consider possibly changing direction with speaker choice?

Okay, okay.. too fast, lol. Subwoofer. You have huge opportunities there.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Thanks in advance
In a 4 meter long room you are probably sitting less than 3 meter, likely 2.5 meter from the furthest speaker right?

If so, you really don't need to spend money on an external amp. To play safe, as those speakers are most likely 4 to 5 ohm nominal, you should get one of those $15 fan and place it on top of the unit and then just sit back and enjoy the movies.

As mentioned, unless you use the 7 channel stereo mode a lot and have the volume at or pass -15, don't worry about having 7 speakers connected. Most movies rarely require all 7 channels blast at high level. If and when that happens in action movies, it won't be doing it continuously so it is not really a huge factor practically speaking.

C

Cloud Strife

Enthusiast
In a 4 meter long room you are probably sitting less than 3 meter, likely 2.5 meter from the furthest speaker right?

If so, you really don't need to spend money on an external amp. To play safe, as those speakers are most likely 4 to 5 ohm nominal, you should get one of those $15 fan and place it on top of the unit and then just sit back and enjoy the movies.

As mentioned, unless you use the 7 channel stereo mode a lot and have the volume at or pass -15, don't worry about having 7 speakers connected. Most movies rarely require all 7 channels blast at high level. If and when that happens in action movies, it won't be doing it continuously so it is not really a huge factor practically speaking.

I just ordered the fans, thanks alot
So, what you are saying is, just keep it as 5.1 no need to make it 7.1?
What if I decided to buy the 6500, install a setup of 7.1.2 (without an Amp)
Will I feel any difference in the quality of the sound?
Regardless if its needed or its not due to the small room

C

Cloud Strife

Enthusiast
Is it this one?
View attachment 36139

If so, you my friend, have enormous potential for real, audible sonic improvements to your overall sound by replacing that sub. How big an area are you working with? I haven't looked up those speakers yet, but there appears to be a disproportion between the quality of your speaker system and the quality of your receiver. How far along are you? Too late to consider possibly changing direction with speaker choice?

Okay, okay.. too fast, lol. Subwoofer. You have huge opportunities there.
Yes, this is the one exactly.
Is it not a good sub? What about my speakers, are they also not good?
Please let me know, coz I thought I have bought one of the best in the market
The speakers I have is Q Aquistics 2 tower 3050 and 2 bookshelf 3020, in addition to that sub

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis