Denon AVR 4500 or 6500

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you're asking if the 4500/6500 have better/different sound quality, no, just different amp sections/feature sets.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then, why different models and different price.
Specially 6500, it's much more expensive
Different amp and features section. Pretty much same dsp, tho. Why the 3500 was a good deal :)

If you want to improve sound quality I'd look to speakers. Especially your sub as Pogre mentioned.

C

Cloud Strife

Enthusiast
Different amp and features section. Pretty much same dsp, tho. Why the 3500 was a good deal :)

If you want to improve sound quality I'd look to speakers. Especially your sub as Pogre mentioned.
Can you tell me what shall I get to enjoy a better quality and for me to understand better, what is wrong with my speakers and sub

Thanks in advance

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, this is the one exactly.
Is it not a good sub? What about my speakers, are they also not good?
Please let me know, coz I thought I have bought one of the best in the market
The speakers I have is Q Aquistics 2 tower 3050 and 2 bookshelf 3020, in addition to that sub
That sub looks to me like more of a "lifestyle product". More for looks than performance. It has a 150 watt amp and a 200 mm driver, which isn't much. How big is your room?

I haven't looked up your speakers yet. The specs for that sub claim -6 dB at 35 hz, which means you're not really getting any sub frequencies. It's just not very powerful and it doesn't play very deep. You're missing a lot of bass. Especially for movies and any music with real deep bass. If we can get your room size, budget and where you're located so we can see what's available in your area we can offer some suggestions.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can you tell me what shall I get to enjoy a better quality and for me to understand better, what is wrong with my speakers and sub

Thanks in advance
I'm just saying true improvements in audio quality come from the speakers rather than the electronics. You don't always get better sound quality just because something costs more, either. I've no experience with your set, If you like the sound of the speakers now, then sit back and enjoy.

That sub is just not capable enough for my tastes, only so much an 8" driver can do....the specs are poor for a sub and doesn't dig nearly as low as a good sub should. https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/q3000i-range-q3060s-subwoofer.html

ps Oh and your room seems too small for 7.1....in my similar sized bedroom I'm fine with 5.1 (and no desire to mess with ceiling speakers for Atmos). If I did have Atmos in that size room I'd probably think about 5.1.4 setup....

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, I don't know anything about your speakers. They may be good speakers. Some companies that make great speakers don't always make great subwoofers. Right now the big glaring issue where I think you could find some real improvement is starting with that sub.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I agree: Q Acoustics has some very good press for their Speakers. I would not advise their Sub.

@Cloud Strife
Where are you located? Metric is the tip off! Canada? Europe?
This will greatly affect what Subs are available to you and at what cost.
What is the LxWxH of your room, please? Is it closed off, or open to other areas?

RE: Amps and Atmos
As I advised earlier, you don't likely need an Amp, unless you want the extra speaker channels. In your size room, 5.x.4 will be a much more achievable goal if the 3500 can support .4 Atmos. Many people say they feel 5.x.4 is a better set-up anyway. Regardless, space is an issue, and proper Atmos implementation will require distance between speakers in order to aid in the effect that is being generated.

You've now seen other people say it now, too, as I said earlier: ELECTRONICS will NOT IMPROVE your Sound Quality.
I suspect two issues:
Poor set up/Speaker Positioning
Poor Subwoofer performance

Again, by all accounts the Q Acoustics 3050s are supposed to have pretty good SQ, especially at their price point.

Pursue the FREE UPGRADE of looking at your room first! And spend money on a good Subs. (Preferebly 2, because that will smooth out the Bass Response in your room. If two are not possible now, buy the best single subwoofer you can allow yourself to afford now, then begin saving for a second.)

:)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Am looking for the best sound quality and power enough for a 4 meter by 4 meter room.
I missed this earlier. That's not a big space. Is that a sealed room or is it open to other spaces?

Just to be clear, I think your speakers look pretty nice. They have some good press and seem to be well received at their price point. Your receiver is also pretty nice. You're set for power. More power won't improve your sound quality at this point. There's one thing left, sticking out like a sore thumb. Your small underpowered subwoofer, lol.

Buuut... we gotta know what's available to you. I think your speakers look pretty nice and I'll bet they sound nice too. Ryan has some good suggestions for you, free suggestions, that might help a whole bunch. We have no idea how you positioned your speakers. If you have one or both in a corner(s) or very close to a wall that usually has negative consequences. You want to make a triangle with you and your main L/R speakers, usually with a little toe in.

surround_diagram-1.gif

I to try to get as close to that as I can. Tweeters should be ear height. If your surround speakers and center cannot be ear height then angling them up or down so they're pointing at your head can work pretty well. My surround speakers are mounted pretty high so I have them angled down toward my seat.

Once you get that part as best as you can, get a better subwoofer.

Also, I'm curious how you dialed everything in. Did you run Audyssey setup and use the mic? Did you follow the pattern and place the mic in all 8 positions? Are your main speakers set to "Large" or "Small"? What crossover setting are you using? Is DEQ on or off? What about "Audyssey LFC" and "Dynamic Volume"? Lots of different little things can make some big differences with your settings too.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I just ordered the fans, thanks alot
So, what you are saying is, just keep it as 5.1 no need to make it 7.1?
What if I decided to buy the 6500, install a setup of 7.1.2 (without an Amp)
Will I feel any difference in the quality of the sound?
Regardless if its needed or its not due to the small room
The 6500 has better build quality but if you like the idea of adding a power amp in future regardless, then the 4500 has an advantage. It can disconnect the front left and front channel amps.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The 6500 has better build quality but if you like the idea of adding a power amp in future regardless, then the 4500 has an advantage. It can disconnect the front left and front channel amps.
That's a neat tweak, but it's not gonna solve his subwoofer problem, lol.

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
The sub idea is a very good one. You will come back and thank everybody if you get a decent sub. The difference won't be subtle!

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
You can see the difference in the 3500 vs 4500 here:

I have the 4500 and if I were going to make a move up, the Denon AVR-X8500H would be my choice. I don't see a big difference between the 4500 vs 6500. I added an external amp for the fronts and noticed the Denon ran much cooler but the sound is about the same. That's why the fan option is popular. $12 fan vs $1000 amplifier. :D

The most bang for your buck might be an SVS PB-3000 Subwoofer. I just updated to a Monoprice THX-365c THX center channel speaker and that helped bring out the dialog in movies.

It sounds like your system is already pretty decent. Put on your favorite music/movie, then layback close your eyes and think about where your sound is now and where you want it to be. The route to get there probably won't be an amp or a receiver... bigger changes usually come with alternative speaker configurations.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I know, that's why I said if he wants an amp "regardless", meaning only if....
Lol Pogre, just poking you in fun PENG. :) Once in a while you two can post up some funny post. Now if Pogre , ever wants to takes a Poke ;) Two Different Think oh wait. I’ve got the two mixed up I was thinking taking a toke off of a marijuana joint. past some of that Reefer my way.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I know, that's why I said if he wants an amp "regardless", meaning only if....
PENG, Turing off the front amp in that Denon should have Advantage right? Like less heat? won’t Use as much Electrical power? I have to ask why haven’t every Manufacturer Inc.something like that in AVR’s also when using a outboard amp when hooked up to the Pre-outs will All the amps switch off in a AVR. Sure not much if any heat is being Generated when those amps are Idol. Guess what I’m ask any Benefits with all amps switched off?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
As said a few times.
Definitely keep the 3500, until you KNOW why it won’t suit your situation, and what you want different, like power, or features.
Speakers look good, but the sub has gotta go... Good news is that the room is small so you won’t need some behemoth, but you’re definitely missing a lot of bass. Qualitatively AND quantitatively. For movies especially, as @Pogre mentioned the one you have does not play very deep/low. I know that’s a tough concept to grasp, especially when you probably do have bass throughout the space.
What you probably don’t realize as well, is that your little sub won’t be as linear and controlled as a quality sub.
Have a little faith, and you’ll see what we mean!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis