Denon AVR 4500 or 6500

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
And also, I would forego the 7ch thoughts. IMO/Ime you should have 5-6’ behind you for the rear surrounds to be effective instead of distractive.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I just ordered the fans, thanks alot
So, what you are saying is, just keep it as 5.1 no need to make it 7.1?
What if I decided to buy the 6500, install a setup of 7.1.2 (without an Amp)
Will I feel any difference in the quality of the sound?
Regardless if its needed or its not due to the small room
Correct...in your space 5.1 should be the preference in a room that size.

No...in a very large room playing at reference levels maybe you would notice some difference in the 6500...but under normal operations...you're not going to hear any difference in the larger AVR.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As said a few times.
Definitely keep the 3500, until you KNOW why it won’t suit your situation, and what you want different, like power, or features.
Speakers look good, but the sub has gotta go... Good news is that the room is small so you won’t need some behemoth, but you’re definitely missing a lot of bass. Qualitatively AND quantitatively. For movies especially, as @Pogre mentioned the one you have does not play very deep/low. I know that’s a tough concept to grasp, especially when you probably do have bass throughout the space.
What you probably don’t realize as well, is that your little sub won’t be as linear and controlled as a quality sub.
Have a little faith, and you’ll see what we mean!
Didn't he mention he wanted to go 7.1.2? The 3500 can't really do that one.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes he did, but his room is too small imo. I had recommended to stay with 5.1.2.
Right. Right now I think the more immediate issue is to steer away from upgrading receivers and start dealing with that subwoofer. He's pretty set for everything else.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Right. Right now I think the more immediate issue is to steer away from upgrading receivers and start dealing with that subwoofer. He's pretty set for everything else.
Precisely. Just gotta figure out where he’s at, and how low he wants to spend!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Precisely. Just gotta figure out where he’s at, and how low he wants to spend!
Well, the 4500 or 6500 budget should also get some pretty nice subwoofage!

We just gotta figure out what's available for @Cloud Strife wherever he is. I'm getting a strong vibe between the use of metric and his English that he's not from 'round these here parts...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have an 8K samsung TV Q900 82"...
Excuse me? You have an "8K" TV?

Well. Then I would wait for the next year model AVRs with HDMI 2.1 which will be able to do 8K video. All the current AVRs have HDMI 2.0, which is up to 4K video.

I know the next year models of Yamaha AVRs will have HDMI 2.1.

But surely all the other brands will also have HDMI 2.1 in the near future.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you guys are recommending big subwoofers? I think all he needs is a SB2000, or two PB or SB1000.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Those would be big subwoofers compared to what he has now! :)
Okay, I admit when I saw the photo Pogre posted, I was wondering why he was kidding, what has a micro oven/toaster has to do with the OP's questions.:D Went back to re-read all the posts to see what kind of sub he has and only then I realize that oven/toaster thing is the sub he has.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think you guys are recommending big subwoofers? I think all he needs is a SB2000, or two PB or SB1000.
I think an SB2K might work for him. I have hands on experience, and for anything approaching a medium size room, it’s too small. A PC2K would be where I’d look, but a pair of sb2k’s could be nice. I remember a very experienced gentleman had a pair that were laser beam flat to 10hz. They just didn’t have a lot of output.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Not recommending a big subwoofer. Just replace the 150 watt 8" one he has right now.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, I admit when I saw the photo Pogre posted, I was wondering why he was kidding, what has a micro oven/toaster has to do with the OP's questions.:D Went back to re-read all the posts to see what kind of sub he has and only then I realize that oven/toaster thing is the sub he has.
Ha ha! It does look like a toaster oven!

I literally lol'd when I read this @PENG. I was wondering where our disconnect was because you and I tend to agree more often than not.

C

Cloud Strife

Enthusiast
Thanks all for your valuable input, I am astonished with the amount of info each one of you has.

Conclusion: change my Sub. I live in Dubai size is 4m by 4m and it is open not sealed.

Last question, since you all said 3500 is good enough, does the new 3600 make a difference?

Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks all for your valuable input, I am astonished with the amount of info each one of you has.

Conclusion: change my Sub. I live in Dubai size is 4m by 4m and it is open not sealed.

Last question, since you all said 3500 is good enough, does the new 3600 make a difference?

Thanks
The 3600 has a bit more capability and a new design....tested very well at audiosciencereview....

C

Cloud Strife

Enthusiast
You guy asked where am I to recommend a sub, plz do let me know.

One more thing to add, with my current sub, I stil feel the house shaking when ba hits.

Do I have a totally wrong understanding of what a sub does?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Thanks
The 3600 is more similar to the 4500, so build quality is better in terms of circuit board layout, heat sinks, and a slightly larger power supply. It has 9 amps build in and has 11 channel processing capability. If you are asking about sound quality, no, it won't make a difference for your need.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

One more thing to add, with my current sub, I stil feel the house shaking when ba hits.

Hard to imagine that sub "shaking the house" but could depend on construction :). Wait until you experience a proper sub.....can you get SVS subs there?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

A more powerful subwoofer will be able to play more linear and cleaner. Little subs struggle more to fill a space with bass and often distort in a way that's hard to detect until it's gone. Compared to all of your other gear that sub is out of place.

What all is available to you? HD recommended SVS and that's a great place to start, but there are others too. We don't know what you have access to.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis