Definitive Tech Speaker Owner's Thread

G

GomGom

Audioholic
But you can't get a single of that. You have to buy a pair, right? Would a pair be a good center? lol...

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
GomGom, for the price right now, you can't beat using another 450 as the center. Yes you have to uy them in pairs to get the good price, but i would just put the other one in storage till you need it. For the best setup possible with any system you want the three speakers up front to be the same model number. So for you another 450 would be perfect. You would have a seamless soundstage up front. And no it is never a good idea to use two center speakers (too much lobing issues) so just use the one. Or buy two pair and you would have an awesome 6.1 system (once you buy the sub) You could use one of the pair as the center and the other single speaker as the rear back channel. Then the other pair as side surrounds and you would have a seamless sound throughout. I would also cross over all the 450's at 60Hz (not 50Hz even though they go that low) but 60Hz would be the perfect setting and not stress the mid range drivers that much and the sub which is better apt to handle the low bass would work perfect.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
no

But you can't get a single of that. You have to buy a pair, right? Would a pair be a good center? lol...
You do NOT have to buy them in Pairs!!!

I've actually bought a SINGLE SM450 before.

In fact, I've done that TWICE!!:D

Okay, I initially used the SM450 as a Center. Worked great. Sounded great. But not EXPENSIVE enough for me.:D:eek:

So I ordered another single SM450, and used them as a pair of Surrounds.

You just go to an AUTHORIZED DefTech dealer and request for them to SPECIAL ORDER a Single SM450. Because it is a special order, you won't be able to Return them for refund.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
GomGom, for the price right now, you can't beat using another 450 as the center. Yes you have to uy them in pairs to get the good price, but i would just put the other one in storage till you need it. For the best setup possible with any system you want the three speakers up front to be the same model number. So for you another 450 would be perfect. You would have a seamless soundstage up front. And no it is never a good idea to use two center speakers (too much lobing issues) so just use the one. Or buy two pair and you would have an awesome 6.1 system (once you buy the sub) You could use one of the pair as the center and the other single speaker as the rear back channel. Then the other pair as side surrounds and you would have a seamless sound throughout. I would also cross over all the 450's at 60Hz (not 50Hz even though they go that low) but 60Hz would be the perfect setting and not stress the mid range drivers that much and the sub which is better apt to handle the low bass would work perfect.
You can buy the SM450 as a single, but yeah, you probably can't get the same great price.

When I bought the SM450 as a single, I paid $250+ tax for one.

I agree about not using 2 Centers. I tried that too. It totally SUCKED.

Hey, I think I agree with everything you said here.:D

G

GomGom

Audioholic
You do NOT have to buy them in Pairs!!!

I've actually bought a SINGLE SM450 before.

In fact, I've done that TWICE!!:D

Okay, I initially used the SM450 as a Center. Worked great. Sounded great. But not EXPENSIVE enough for me.:D:eek:

So I ordered another single SM450, and used them as a pair of Surrounds.

You just go to an AUTHORIZED DefTech dealer and request for them to SPECIAL ORDER a Single SM450. Because it is a special order, you won't be able to Return them for refund.
How much did you pay for a single of that? Would the SM450 perform better than center 2000 as a center?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How much did you pay for a single of that? Would the SM450 perform better than center 2000 as a center?
Let's put it this way.

I don't know if the ProCenter 2000 has ever been compared to an expensive B&W 800 Matrix, but the SM450 has. And the SM450s sounded almost like the B&W 800 Matrix in the midrange and tweeters.

My gut feeling is that both the SM450 & PC2000 will perform equally well as a Center speaker.

I don't think there is a right/wrong here.

Personally I would go with 5 or 7 SM450s + a sub for my entire 5.1/7.1 setup.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
AcuDeftech, that's why I said he should just buy a pair. I mean why pay 250.00 for a single when for 300.00 he could get a pair shipped to his house. Having an extra speaker for whenever.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
AcuDeftech, thta's why I said he should just buy a pair. I mean why pay 250.00 for a single when for 300.00 he could get a pair shipped to his house. Having an extra speaker for whenever.
Right on, bro.:D

Right on.

Damn. Only $300 for TWO SM450s?

I would just get 3 pairs of SM450 for $900 and do 6.1.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
AcuDTguy, 6th avenue dot com has the 450's on sale for 248.00/pair and then when you call haggle with them on shipping it to you and you can get them down to 50.00 shipping (if you don't live close by a 6th Avenue store (east coast). I bought a pair a few months back and I keyed GomGom onto the great deal a few pages back. I also suggested he buy 3-4 pair to get a 6.1 or 7.1 setup for a great price. BTW I love the 450's especially when run in conjunction with my 7001's and CLR2002.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
GomGom, have you gotten your first pair of 450's yet, if so, how do you like the sound?

G

GomGom

Audioholic
GomGom, have you gotten your first pair of 450's yet, if so, how do you like the sound?
No actually coz I ship them to my sister's home in WA and actually I live in Vancouver BC. I will go down there sometime next week and pick them up. I also haven't heard anything from my sister about the speakers to come. I hope they have arrived. If I like the sound of the DT SM450, I would probably buy 2 more pairs... OMG, jobless but spending so much. LoL... I just graduate from University and moved to a new home. That's why I decided to get my self a nice and inexpensive HT.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
AcuDTguy, 6th avenue dot com has the 450's on sale for 248.00/pair and then when you call haggle with them on shipping it to you and you can get them down to 50.00 shipping (if you don't live close by a 6th Avenue store (east coast). I bought a pair a few months back and I keyed GomGom onto the great deal a few pages back. I also suggested he buy 3-4 pair to get a 6.1 or 7.1 setup for a great price. BTW I love the 450's especially when run in conjunction with my 7001's and CLR2002.
Yeah, at one point I had 4 SM450s as surrounds in a 7.1 setup. They worked great.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
AcuDefTech, i would love to add another pair of 450's for my rear channels, but since my couch is almost against the wall, i had to go with DT Mythos gems for the rears (right behind the main sitting position. I have half moon couch in an awkward shaped room,) so rear channels were a pain hence why i went with the Gems. Now the Gems are not the greatest speaker. If I cross them lower than 120Hz they clip, but considering the use the same 1" tweeter as the 450's and 7001's it was the closest I could get to achieve 7.1 with space constraints and although mixing mythos with BP's is never good, it actually does a decent job. But if space wasnt in issue and money was tight, I agree 4 pair of 450's would be awesome with a sub.

Matt34

Matt34

Hey you Def Tech freaks, so I've been browsing the web and have found a few people say they picked up the BP7006 for around $800. Am I really going to be able to talk them down that much at a Magnolia store when they list at $1200? I would seriously consider them at $800 if so.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I doubt it, but you can at least try. They are very nice speakers, especially if you can get a pair for $800, which is what I paid for mine used.

Matt34

Matt34

I doubt it, but you can at least try. They are very nice speakers, especially if you can get a pair for $800, which is what I paid for mine used.

I wish I could find them used and local-ish. Even 6th Ave has them at $1200 something.

J

jimter

Audiophyte
you should definitly try . I got bp 7004s for 800/pair open box and a single 7006 for $139 from best buy. The 7006 had a broken binding post but it was a easy fix.

Matt34

Matt34

you should definitly try . I got bp 7004s for 800/pair open box and a single 7006 for $139 from best buy. The 7006 had a broken binding post but it was a easy fix.
Nice score, I'll give it a try, I'm all about open-box/b-stock finds.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hey you Def Tech freaks, so I've been browsing the web and have found a few people say they picked up the BP7006 for around $800. Am I really going to be able to talk them down that much at a Magnolia store when they list at $1200? I would seriously consider them at $800 if so.
I paid 1100 for mine from Ultimate, some time ago, which I considered fair enough to pay. $800 would be a steal. Good luck haggling. You'll dig 'em, the 7006's are quite nice.

Too bad DT didn't send a pair for the recent Floorstanding Speaker Shootout. What's up with those chickens? Afraid their stuff won't measure up? (I think any of the BP7***'s would have killed in that showdown!)

Matt34

Matt34

I paid 1100 for mine from Ultimate, some time ago, which I considered fair enough to pay. $800 would be a steal. Good luck haggling. You'll dig 'em, the 7006's are quite nice.

Too bad DT didn't send a pair for the recent Floorstanding Speaker Shootout. What's up with those chickens? Afraid their stuff won't measure up? (I think any of the BP7***'s would have killed in that showdown!)
Yeah, I think I'll really dig the bi-polar setup for movies.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis