Definitive Tech Speaker Owner's Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey guys, I just found a deal of BP6B for $300/pair brand new. How good is the tower speaker of Def Tech BP6? Is Mythos series better than BP? Do you think it's a steal deal or I would be better off just buy another pair of Def Tech SM450?
I also agree with the others on the driver size difference.

The SM450 would match "better" with the BP10B, not BP8B or BP6B.

D

dlr

Enthusiast
Def Tech owner for 2 months now :D

My setup:
Yamaha RX-v563 using HDMI
Front: Def Tech BP6
Center: Def Tech Procenter 1000
Rear: Def Tech BP2x
Sub: Def Tech ProSub 100
PS3

Bought the receiver and center new, the fronts and rears on Craigslist for $450 total, and $100 for the sub from a friend. My plan is to use 7.1 in a room roughly 15x20.

Another friend is selling me his <1 year old BP7002's for $850! I know that none of the lines match perfectly, but do any of you think I can use those as fronts and the BP6's as rears, BP2X as surrounds? Would this be a decent setup, or should I sell the BP6 and get something else?

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
You should be fine, although they won't have matching driver sizes, when you place the BP6's in the back it's not as important as matching the front three. You should be fine. Before selling anything, set it up, calibrate and let your ears be the best judge.

C

caleb211

Enthusiast
Tricks to the trade

Are there any tricks to the trade that you guys could let me in on, so I can get the most out of my speakers.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Caleb, don't ever believe the spec sheet that DT puts out. It is always best to take the lowest frequency response that DT claims the speaker can go and double it then set your crossover at the next crossover up from that. Take the Studio Monitor 450's DT claims they can go down to 24Hz, so double that equals 48Hz, so the minimum crossover setting would be 50Hz (60 would be better) this way your mid range doesnt get beat down. In fact I have my 7001s set at 40hz even though they could easily do 30Hz (my Onkyo 805 doesnt go to 30Hz after 40Hz it sets to large and the towers drop off like a rock below 30Hz and the sound becomes boomy. So always double the lowest frequency response and set the crossover at the next point up from that (or higher)

Calibrate with the recievers internal calibration and then go over it with a sound meter.

And to get the most out of your system, send your woman out shopping for the day, so you can listen at "Man Levels"

D

dlr

Enthusiast
You should be fine, although they won't have matching driver sizes, when you place the BP6's in the back it's not as important as matching the front three. You should be fine. Before selling anything, set it up, calibrate and let your ears be the best judge.
Thanks MatthewB.
I am going to sell them to a friend now anyway. I don't think the bi-polar would be all the great for the back

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Def Tech owner for 2 months now :D

My setup:
Yamaha RX-v563 using HDMI
Front: Def Tech BP6
Center: Def Tech Procenter 1000
Rear: Def Tech BP2x
Sub: Def Tech ProSub 100
PS3

Bought the receiver and center new, the fronts and rears on Craigslist for $450 total, and $100 for the sub from a friend. My plan is to use 7.1 in a room roughly 15x20.

Another friend is selling me his <1 year old BP7002's for $850! I know that none of the lines match perfectly, but do any of you think I can use those as fronts and the BP6's as rears, BP2X as surrounds? Would this be a decent setup, or should I sell the BP6 and get something else?
Will be just fine.

Matching the driver sizes are for "obsessive-compulsive" people like me.:D

Your ears won't know the difference between a 3" vs 4" vs 5" vs 6" driver.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are there any tricks to the trade that you guys could let me in on, so I can get the most out of my speakers.
Keep speakers at least 2 ft from front wall and side walls (7001)

Active Subwoofer Side facing each other (7001)

Passive Radiators facing the side walls (7001)

Toe-in towards center slightly (7001)

Set the Subwoofer level on all the speakers to 11 o'clock (7001, 3000)

Don't do any bi-amping or triamping (I've done all that before:D)

I like all my speakers (including CLR3000) standing Vertically

I set my Denon receiver to Large for all my speakers, Crossover @ 40 Hz.

BP7001 measured = 27Hz-20kHz +/-3dB from 2 meters away in 7500 cf room.
CLR3000 measured = 28Hz-20kHz +/-3dB from 2m away in 7500 cf room.

By the way, you have the DVD-3800BDCI, not BCDI, right?:D

Last edited:
J

jkush

Audiophyte
does size matter

I have a room that is 20' by 10'. Is this considered a large room or a small room. I am looking at purchasing Df Tech SM 450's as my fronts, SM 350's for the surrounds, a pro sub and either pc2000 or C/L/R2000 for the center.
Are these a good choice for my room size.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Acudeftech, I think the subs facing in is dependant on the room. I have a small wall that my system sits on and because I have a large 58" Pioneer RPTV I can't face the subs in without giving them enough space to breath (hence why they are faced out and actually sound better in my room that way) The subs help fill in the large openings on both sides of the small wall (entry way and dining area)

Because I have to fill a large space I have my dials set at 12:00 but agree 11ish is also okay (depending on the room)

I'm confused on how you can set the speakers to large and have a crossover at 40Hz. Large setting is a full range signal being sent to the speaker, by setting any crossover you are setting that speaker to small. I have my 7001s set as small and crossed at 40Hz so that my SVS can handle the real low bass and essentially making the subs in the towers fantastic mid range bass drivers.

But I agree with everything else (especially the center being vertical)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Acudeftech, I think the subs facing in is dependant on the room...

I'm confused on how you can set the speakers to large and have a crossover at 40Hz. Large setting is a full range signal being sent to the speaker...
Yeah, the direction of the active subs depends on a few things like you mentioned.

In my room, facing the subs toward the sidewalls created a "WEIRD" hollow sound to me. When I faced the subs towards each other, it sounded fantastic.

I set all my speakers to Large on my Denon receiver. Yeah, I would think it would set the crossover 20Hz-20kHz also. But on my receiver, there is also a crossover setting regardless of how I set the speaker size. Maybe this crossover really doesn't do anything when I set my speaker size to Large. But I mention it because my Denon receiver allows this.

I think my receiver sends all the speakers 20Hz-20kHz signals plus it sends the LFE-only signal to my subwoofer.

S

seandm

Audiophyte
hey how you doing. i just got my bp 7006 for my rears and one of them is making a buzzing sound out of the woofers when the base hits. if i push on the sub when the led is on it does it.when i unplug the speaker from the wall it does not, im guessing the amp is done.i bought them used. any info would be helpfull. thanks . sean

S

seandm

Audiophyte
good day. just got a set of used bp7006 . the one speaker makes a buzzing sound from the bass when it gets a signal and when the led is on and you push on the sub. when i unplug it from the wall and press on the sub it does NOT do it. im thinking there is a problem with the amp . is there any common problems wth these amps that have a easy fix or should i be taking it in. any help would be great. thanks sean

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
send def tech an email asking about it, they would know better than anyone.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm considering a system switch:

Mythos Four or Five fronts
Mythos Three center (already own)
Gem or GemXL surrounds (XLs don't have matching stands...)
Custom subwoofer

Of course I'd need to find takers on my current BP7006 towers and BP1.2x surrounds.

Question is, will I get the same or better quality sound? I prefer the look, and Mythos ST/STS are too expensive, even with the prices I get on DT. That's what made me get this first system.

Nemo128

Nemo128

k, gonna start looking for a buyer. I like the Mythos look and dimensions better, plus I want to build this custom sub. =)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
good day. just got a set of used bp7006 . the one speaker makes a buzzing sound from the bass when it gets a signal and when the led is on and you push on the sub. when i unplug it from the wall and press on the sub it does NOT do it. im thinking there is a problem with the amp . is there any common problems wth these amps that have a easy fix or should i be taking it in. any help would be great. thanks sean
Just email Chet Pelkowski: Chet.Pelkowski@definitivetech.com

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm considering a system switch:

Mythos Four or Five fronts
Mythos Three center (already own)
Gem or GemXL surrounds (XLs don't have matching stands...)
Custom subwoofer

Of course I'd need to find takers on my current BP7006 towers and BP1.2x surrounds.

Question is, will I get the same or better quality sound? I prefer the look, and Mythos ST/STS are too expensive, even with the prices I get on DT. That's what made me get this first system.
Depending on your room size & acoustics, I think the Mythos may sound better since they are Direct-Radiating speakers, intead of Bipolar speakers.

Bipolars require larger rooms to sound their best.

Man, amazon.com had a sale on the Mythos STS for only $750 each (50% off).

Nemo128

Nemo128

http://web.njit.edu/~clc2/plan.PDF, it's time people in the know see my environment so I can get some real insight into my gear.

Needs dimensions, but gotta wait for the woman to update it.

I wouldn't buy them, I'm looking at $700/pair for the fronts. Spending $750/each for the STS won't fly with the woman, I'll just build the custom sub.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis