Definitive Tech Speaker Owner's Thread

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Matt34 that was Glocksrock and GomGom has already PM'd him.

GomGom, I would take the SVS over the Dayton, but that's just me. Dual Daytons may just be better but every room is different. Some people get great results with one sub, while others like me need more. But you can never go wrong with a SVS.

G

GomGom

Audioholic
There is someone here on the forums selling a used pb10. Forget who exactly.

Is he Glocksrock or another guy? Yeah, i'm still questioning whether a single PB10 or dual Dayton Sub-120 on the link below would give me a better result?
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-635

Ooppss... I'm posting at the same time as Matthew. So dual dayton is better setup and sound? SVS just costs more than a pair of that dayton sub-120. Oh btw, you can still hook up dual sub in 5.1 receiver, right? Plugging both to the same source?

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
GomGom, the SVS has a deeper extension, but dual Daytons will help with null voids. You have to determin which would be better for your room. Lower deeper bass or overall bass all over but not as low. It's a catch 22 to be sure, but I would go with the SVS and then later when money permits buy a second SVS. But the one should be good enough for you, as long as your room isnt too large.

G

GomGom

Audioholic
GomGom, the SVS has a deeper extension, but dual Daytons will help with null voids. You have to determin which would be better for your room. Lower deeper bass or overall bass all over but not as low. It's a catch 22 to be sure, but I would go with the SVS and then later when money permits buy a second SVS. But the one should be good enough for you, as long as your room isnt too large.
I get what you mean. Yeah, I prefer to get a deeper bass instead of overall bass. I'm placing the sys in my apartment living room so the sofa is placed close to the wall and the TV + speakers on the other side of the room so it's more to 2 dimensional room, no surround required for this setup. I suppose SVS will do better if I only place it on the front. If I have two, both will be in the front as well, so deeper bass extension is preferable.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
You live in an apartment, then the SVS will do just fine and may just get you out of your lease (faster than you thought) the SVS PB10 will be more than enough for an apartment.

G

GomGom

Audioholic
I think the used SVS is still too much, it's about $400 shipped so I might get the Dayton Sub-120. Do you know if the 120W is RMS or Peak Wattage? Do you think it's enough for an apartment living room? I really want to get the SVS but my purchasing power is not there yet.:(

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
I would come up with the funds, 400.0 shipped is a great price, considering how big the sub is and what it weighs. That would be the one I would go for.

I don't know if the Dayton 125 watts is peak or RMS (I would assume RMS) but I would call partsexpress. Seriously I would still go for the SVS though.

G

GomGom

Audioholic
I would come up with the funds, 400.0 shipped is a great price, considering how big the sub is and what it weighs. That would be the one I would go for.

I don't know if the Dayton 125 watts is peak or RMS (I would assume RMS) but I would call partsexpress. Seriously I would still go for the SVS though.
I would too but... it's 2.5x price of Dayton... Isiberian told me that it's peak watt (150W) so the continuous wattage could be less than 100W. Any suggestion of other budget sub?

Finally, 6ave said okay to give ship the DT SM450 with another $50 shipping cost. At first, they asked me for $99 shipping cost but after saying that other people got it shipped for another $50 more, they said they will do the same.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Actually i'm pretty sure it's 150 RMS, and it's not a bad sub at all, it's what I had before I got my PB10, and it has some pretty decent output. It does make for an excellent budget sub. I already sold the PB10, so I would reccomend the Sub-120. Had I known you were interested in one of those, I may have offerede you my sub-120 so I could keep the PB10, but I don't have the box for the dayton sub anymore.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Congrats on getting the 450 Monitor for 248.00 and 50.00 shipped. How many pair did you get? Hopefully enough to do a full 5.1 (3 pair) or 7.1 (4 pair) system. Trust me the 450 is an excellant speaker.

G

GomGom

Audioholic
LOL.... I just get 1 pair and still battling what receiver I need to buy. Thanks Glocksrock, if it's 150W RMS, it should be fine. You said that you were using this one and now you're using this one again after you sold the PB10? How does it perform? Can you get enough bass for your music and movies?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
It has plenty of output, don't judge a sub by it's power ratings, there is a lot more to it than that. I was having amp problems with the dayton, but partsexpress has been good and replaced the amp twice under warranty with no issues, so I can vouch for their CS. But I'm not using the dayton in the same room as the PB10 anymore, but I did originally have the dayton in my bedroom. The sound quality isn't as good as the SVS, and it doesn't hit as low or deep, but it still has plenty of output. As long as your room isn't too big, I think for the price it's hard to beat the Dayton subs. They are a good starter sub, but you would be best off to just take your time and save up for something really nice. I would have kept the PB10 and sold the Dayton if the PB10 had speaker level inputs, but it's the only sub they offer with that basic of an amp, so instead of getting a new receiver for a system I seldom use, I figured I would just sell the SVS since the amp in the dayton has been doing good so far. My girlfirends mom has the dayton Sub-100 10" sub and it too has plenty of output for what it is, but both rooms I have listened to it in are fairly small, but I would still get the 12 since it's not that much more. But again, I would save up for something really nice like the PB12-NSD or even a SB12, or even one of the offerings from HSU Research.

G

GomGom

Audioholic
Agree on that but since the speakers that I'm getting are bookshelf speakers, I need sub otherwise they will sound very lack of low end freq. I might get the Dayton 12" for now and just save up in case I want to upgrade in future.

Matthew, how is the DT SM450 sound, is it bright or warm? After getting torn choosing what speakers to get, now I'm torn choosing what receiver to get. lol... I was in this stage couple months ago and ended up not buying anything because I was too overwhelmed. Hopefully, it won't happen this time. ;)

What speaker wire do you use for these speakers?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Get a receiver based on what you need it to do, how many inputs/outputs it has, etc... ecost.com has some refurbed Denon recievers for a great price. As far as speaker wire, I would use 16 gauge unless you are doing a really long run, then 14 gauge would be sufficeint.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
GomGom, the sound is very good, not overly bright or boomy like others I have tested. I would call it very neutral. It blends perfectly with my DT towers, so much so, it's hard to tell where the towers stop and the 450's pick up. I hate to admit this, but I use Monster THX Ultra 1000 speaker wire. Normally I wouldnt recommend Monster, but I picked up 10 foot pairs on closeout from circuit city for 10.00 a pair (they retail for 129.00/pair) and were actually cheaper than what Home Depot or Monoprice or BJC charge. It came out to 50 cents a foot for 12 guage with attached banana plugs. Wound up getting four pair of 10 footers and one pair of 20 footer for this price new in box. For anyone who doesnt stumble on a good deal like this, I always say you should be good with 12 or 14 gauge wire, if lengths less than 15 feet than even 16 gauge wire will work.

BTW I do not endorse Monster for their business practices, but they make a good product just at way inflated prices. but know a good deal when I see it.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
I concur with Glocksrock, choose a reciever for the features it has. You will find that at a certain price pretty much all recievers sound the same, they just offer different features from one another. I also agree a Denon or Onkyo will do just fine in driving thes speakers.

G

GomGom

Audioholic
I concur with Glocksrock, choose a reciever for the features it has. You will find that at a certain price pretty much all recievers sound the same, they just offer different features from one another. I also agree a Denon or Onkyo will do just fine in driving thes speakers.
That's what I'm confused about. The more I research to find the best option, the higher the price I should pay. After I noticed that Yamaha 465 is inferior to Onkyo 606 and Denon 1909, I start looking for Onkyo and Denon but again, I'm looking at higher price tag now. Then, there is Marantz which I have no knowledge about it.

I talked to a local dealer in Canada about the Onkyo 606 and the best price they can give me is CA$500 plus 12% tax. It means that I have to jacked up my budget by quite a bit.

Based on my needs, i just want to get the best sound processing for my speakers. Also HDMI input-ouput, enough power to amplify my speakers and subwoofer,.... I don't know what else...

Matt, what receiver do you use for your system?

G

GomGom

Audioholic
Matt, you know what, the deal from 6ave of the DT SM450 for $300 a pair makes me want to buy two pairs now. It's just too good to miss, but my budget is already stretched out for the receiver... I wonder if adding another pair would be a good idea... :confused:
How often a deal like this to happen? Maybe different brand of speakers..

Just found out this subwoofer on Onecall for less than $200
Velodyne VX10B Factory Renewed Black Subwoofer
http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=92477

What do you guys think of this compared to Dayton SUB-120?

Last edited:
M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
This deal is very good (even ebay sellers are going for 400.00 plus) This is only a theory on my part, but since DT is discontinuing some of their speakers I think this is the case with the 450 monitor and hence why 6th ave has it for so cheap (they are an authorized dealer) so I think very shortly you won't be able to get the 450 at all. GomGom that's the downside of this hobby, is that it is expensive and you have to make decisions on should you get another pair at a great price and hold off on the new reciever, or buy the receiever and miss out on a great set of speakers. I personaly would buy two more pair at this price and wait awhile on the recievers.

I run the Onkyo 805 on my main system, the Denon 3808ci on my master bedroom system and the Denon 4802R on my guest room/office system.

G

GomGom

Audioholic
If I buy two sets of these speakers and no center, how should I place the speakers? 4 of them as main? The seating place (sofa) is close against the wall so no space for rear speaker. If I put it as surround, it will be beside your ears.
As for receiver, right now I borrow my uncle old amplifier so I definitely need a receiver for my own. I don't know if I should buy Onkyo 606 or 705.

I just found out that Dayton SUB-120 is still better than the Velodyne. That low-end velodyne cannot reach the bottom low freq. I wonder how about Dayton SUB-120 compared to tSc ASW10 or ASW8? I want to get a good and precise but also loud bass out of the subwoofer.

UPDATE: I finally ordered a pair of Def Tech SM450. I asked them what if i order another pair and they said it will be the same price for shipping times 2 so I'll give it a try of these speakers first and hopefully I like and if they have more, I'll order another pair of this.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis