GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I got my booster a couple of weeks ago, a month after a COVID infection.

The booster was from Pfizer and was bivalent. This is my fourth shot in total.
A month!? Wow, that's pretty close spacing. From the article, current advice is to wait six months between boosters and six months from the last infection to derive the most benefit.

I had COVID in September. If I follow the recommendation, I'll get my next one in March. Not sure what I should do...

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Are you guys getting your boosters as soon as you're eligible? Or, are you strategically timing them?

Hmm, I'm not sure I'm going to get any more boosters, considering that the current covid variants seem to produce mild to moderate illness. I've taken three full strength Moderna shots, but the last one was in Sept., 2021.

I tested positive for covid in late August, but I wasn't very sick at all. I have no idea where of how I could have contracted it. I Had a sore throat on a Monday and it did get worse on Tuesday and Wednesday. I also had a lot of fatigue. I did the covid test on Wednesday and it was positive. Because of my age, I had my doctor call in a Rx for Paxlovid, and started taking that on Wednesday evening. It did seem like Paxlovid arrested the progression of illness, or maybe I just wasn't going to get that sick. My temp never even got up to 98.6.

Now, my wife also got sick a few weeks later and tested positive, but we don't think she got it from me, because she should have gotten sick sooner if she got it from me. She got sicker than I did and she did not want to take Paxlovid. But she never had over a 100 degree fever. She got well in a couple weeks. She also has had two Moderna shots and one Moderna booster, but the booster was almost a year ago now.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
A month!? Wow, that's pretty close spacing. From the article, current advice is to wait six months between boosters and six months from the last infection to derive the most benefit.

I had COVID in September. If I follow the recommendation, I'll get my next one in March. Not sure what I should do...
No such recommendation here in Sweden currently. I don’t know which strain of the virus I got, though, and it seems that previous infections and vaccines might’ve not be that effective against some of the new strains.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Hmm, I'm not sure I'm going to get any more boosters, considering that the current covid variants seem to produce mild to moderate illness. I've taken three full strength Moderna shots, but the last one was in Sept., 2021.

I tested positive for covid in late August, but I wasn't very sick at all. I have no idea where of how I could have contracted it. I Had a sore throat on a Monday and it did get worse on Tuesday and Wednesday. I also had a lot of fatigue. I did the covid test on Wednesday and it was positive. Because of my age, I had my doctor call in a Rx for Paxlovid, and started taking that on Wednesday evening. It did seem like Paxlovid arrested the progression of illness, or maybe I just wasn't going to get that sick. My temp never even got up to 98.6.

Now, my wife also got sick a few weeks later and tested positive, but we don't think she got it from me, because she should have gotten sick sooner if she got it from me. She got sicker than I did and she did not want to take Paxlovid. But she never had over a 100 degree fever. She got well in a couple weeks. She also has had two Moderna shots and one Moderna booster, but the booster was almost a year ago now.
Well, the conundrum is that you don’t know which strain of the virus you were infected with nor how other strains will affect you personally. It’s still deadly and cause of serious illness.

So for me I decided that taking a safe vaccine is the rational thing to do.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Well, the conundrum is that you don’t know which strain of the virus you were infected with nor how other strains will affect you personally. It’s still deadly and cause of serious illness.

So for me I decided that taking a safe vaccine is the rational thing to do.
Yeah, I'm not as confident as I used to be about the safety of these mRNA vaccines. There seems to be very little covid around here at this time, nothing in the local news. Now, if all of a sudden, there is an outbreak of serious covid causing deaths and severe illness this winter, I would definitely take a booster. In that event, it seems like the benefit would outweigh any risk.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, I'm not as confident as I used to be about the safety of these mRNA vaccines. There seems to be very little covid around here at this time, nothing in the local news. Now, if all of a sudden, there is an outbreak of serious covid causing deaths and severe illness this winter, I would definitely take a booster. In that event, it seems like the benefit would outweigh any risk.
First, by now very much is known about the safety of the mRNA vaccines as literally hundreds of millions of people has taken them for years, multiple times. Claiming anything else is in the anti-vaxxer camp of irrationality.

Second, when people like you find out that the latest strain is deadly after all it’s possibly to late get a vaccine, assuming you can get one in the first place.

It’s your choice, as usual, but if you get gravely ill from COVID because you refused to take a vaccine perhaps you should refuse intensive care treatment as well.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
First, by now very much is known about the safety of the mRNA vaccines as literally hundreds of millions of people has taken them for years, multiple times. Claiming anything else is in the anti-vaxxer camp of irrationality.

Second, when people like you find out that the latest strain is deadly after all it’s possibly to late get a vaccine, assuming you can get one in the first place.

It’s your choice, as usual, but if you get gravely ill from COVID because you refused to take a vaccine perhaps you should refuse intensive care treatment as well.
Oh boy, here we go again. Why the hostility? I already said I've taken THREE Moderna shots, so I'm certainly not anti-vaccine. But neither do I reject out of hand the possibility that there could be long term effects from mRNA shots. Two years of data do not constitute long term safety studies, with respect to vaccines. I do generally suspect that these deaths that occur shortly after getting a covid shot are from other causes and not from the shot.

Okay, let's look at your statement about the "latest strain" being deadly. Well, if it is a newly described strain, there won't be a vaccine that is tailored for it, anyway. We are just now seeing shots that are customized for the newer variants. Are you one of those "take the vaccine, or die" people? Additionally, so far, as new variants have emerged they are trending towards being more communicable but less lethal. So, I suspect that any new variant will tend to not be any more deadly than what is currently circulating.

As to your last offensive comment, I hope you don't have that same cavalier attitude towards obese and otherwise unhealthy people who end up needing intensive medical care. Should they refuse intensive care treatment?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Oh boy, here we go again. Why the hostility? I already said I've taken THREE Moderna shots, so I'm certainly not anti-vaccine. But neither do I reject out of hand the possibility that there could be long term effects from mRNA shots. Two years of data do not constitute long term safety studies, with respect to vaccines. I do generally suspect that these deaths that occur shortly after getting a covid shot are from other causes and not from the shot.

Okay, let's look at your statement about the "latest strain" being deadly. Well, if it is a newly described strain, there won't be a vaccine that is tailored for it, anyway. We are just now seeing shots that are customized for the newer variants. Are you one of those "take the vaccine, or die" people? Additionally, so far, as new variants have emerged they are trending towards being more communicable but less lethal. So, I suspect that any new variant will tend to not be any more deadly than what is currently circulating.

As to your last offensive comment, I hope you don't have that same cavalier attitude towards obese and otherwise unhealthy people who end up needing intensive medical care. Should they refuse intensive care treatment?
Because after all this time in this very deadly pandemic I still have to read this, and my sympathy for people refusing to take the safe vaccine for non-medical reasons are by now quite low.

In USA alone you’ve hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths from COVID.

As for the dumb comparisons to other illnesses and their treatments, well, it’s just effing dumb. We’ve seen this dumbness posted many times in this thread. Whatever it takes so that you can look yourself in the mirror, I guess.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Because after all this time in this very deadly pandemic I still have to read this, and my sympathy for people refusing to take the safe vaccine for non-medical reasons are by now quite low.

As for the dumb comparisons to other illnesses and their treatments, well, it’s just effing dumb. We’ve seen this dumbness posted many times in this thread. Whatever it takes so that you can look yourself in the mirror, I guess.
Nonsense, it's not dumb at all, the principle is exactly the same, with respect to other illnesses, if you are to be consistent. For example, if a doctor prescribes a cholesterol lowering medication to a patient and the patient refuses to take it and then ends up needing a bypass or stents, then to be consistent, you should say that the patient should refuse intensive care treatment. After all, such care is costing the system a lot of money.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Nonsense, it's not dumb at all, the principle is exactly the same, with respect to other illnesses, if you are to be consistent. For example, if a doctor prescribes a cholesterol lowering medication to a patient and the patient refuses to take it and then ends up needing a bypass or stents, then to be consistent, you should say that the patient should refuse intensive care treatment. After all, such care is costing the system a lot of money.
You’re not aware that this is a pandemic caused by a highly contagious and deadly virus that overwhelmed our health care system?

And you compare refusing to take a proven safe vaccine with not taking cholesterol lowering medication that has to be taken on a daily basis? :rolleyes: Really dumb.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
You’re not aware that this is a pandemic caused by a highly contagious and deadly virus that overwhelmed our health care system?

And you compare refusing to take a proven safe vaccine with not taking cholesterol lowering medication that has to be taken on a daily basis? :rolleyes: Really dumb.
But it's the same principle, with respect to your comment that people should refuse intensive care treatment. I've been around and around with people on this issue and many are quite open that they do feel the same with respect to other largely preventable disease states. They feel like they should not receive treatment.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
But it's the same principle, with respect to your comment that people should refuse intensive care treatment. I've been around and around with people on this issue and many are quite open that they do feel the same with respect to other largely preventable disease states. They feel like they should not receive treatment.
All else equal, but this is not so in a pandemic. Taking the safe vaccine is a quick, one-time affair, and gives you a very good protection against serious illness and death.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
All else equal, but this is not so in a pandemic. Taking the safe vaccine is a quick, one-time affair, and gives you a very good protection against serious illness and death.
I agree about the efficacy of the vaccine for severe illness and death, but I'm not at this point prepared to make a blanket declaration of "safe". I doubt any vaccine is completely safe.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I agree about the efficacy of the vaccine for severe illness and death, but I'm not at this point prepared to make a blanket declaration of "safe". I doubt any vaccine is completely safe.
That is a straw man argument as the safety of the mRNA vaccines are proven to be safe, but that does not mean 100%, just like any other medication and vaccines. Go read the info for the medication you take today, as an example.

Last edited:
M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
That is a straw man argument as the safety of the mRNA vaccines are proven to be safe, but that does not mean 100%, just like any other medication and vaccines. Go read the info for the medication you take today, as an example.
Eh, I wouldn't agree that you can make the claim that the covid shots are "proven to be safe", in the same way you could say that about a fully approved medication. These shots are not fully approved or licensed by the FDA. They are being given under a temporary Emergency Use Authorization. As a matter of fact, Pfizer's language reads in part:

"Emergency uses of the vaccines have not been approved or licensed by FDA"

Pfizer's language is carefully crafted to avoid any liability for adverse reactions. And I actually wonder if these shots will ever be fully approved.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

Long term side effects and vaccines don't belong in the same sentence. Vaccine side effects reveal themselves within a couple of months. Long term side effects are usually associated with long term use of therapeutic drugs. There is a mountain of evidence supporting the safety and efficacy of COVID mRNA vaccines.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Long term side effects and vaccines don't belong in the same sentence. Vaccine side effects reveal themselves within a couple of months. Long term side effects are usually associated with long term use of therapeutic drugs. There is a mountain of evidence supporting the safety and efficacy of COVID mRNA vaccines.
Well, it's your choice. However, mRNA vaccines are a new technology in that they have only been in widespread clinical use for less than two years now. I understand that they SHOULD not cause much in the way of long term serious adverse effects, but it would be rather unscientific to just assume that. It seems that, based on some of the commenters here, you're so confident about that that you'd say there's no need for continuing clinical trial follow up on the covid shot recipients. Would you say that?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Well, it's your choice. However, mRNA vaccines are a new technology in that they have only been in widespread clinical use for less than two years now. I understand that they SHOULD not cause much in the way of long term serious adverse effects, but it would be rather unscientific to just assume that. It seems that, based on some of the commenters here, you're so confident about that that you'd say there's no need for continuing clinical trial follow up on the covid shot recipients. Would you say that?
A straw man argument as no one here claimed that clinical trial followup should be discontinued.

You’re just rationalizing as to why you won’t take boosters anymore.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
A straw man argument as no one here claimed that clinical trial followup should be discontinued.

You’re just rationalizing as to why you won’t take boosters anymore.
You guys keep proclaiming the shots to be safe, which leads one to wonder if you feel any further follow up is needed.

Also, I never said I wouldn't take another booster, if you read what I wrote. I'm just not sure about it. I just apparently had covid, so why would I take a booster now? It's not even recommended to do so. There are a lot of factors in play.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Post #8216

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis