Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
No it doesn't make me happy. But I can tell you I feel exactly zero empathy for those who push the anti-mask rhetoric and then catch this themselves. People with his mindset are exactly why the US is where it is with this disease.
President Trump is very corrosive on our morality. One example is that we now much more easily say/think things that we otherwise would not have with less thought and inhibition, or similarly attributing nefarious motives to other peoples posts.

Some people on this board childishly call me a ''libtard" claiming that I don't understand "personal responsibility", which, I must admit, made me snicker a bit. The silver lining in this is that Trump has exposed the character of the current G.O.P. members of Congress and hopefully this leads to voting them out of power until they reform themselves.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
If you don't like wearing a mask you are really going to hate being on a ventilator.
I am surprised those who don't like masks, anti 1st amendment rights, accept a whole bunch of other stuff hindering my 1st amendment rights. The list is long.
Freedom of speech is not absolute, but that is too hard to understand by a good number out there.

ps. oh, they can refuse that ventilator if they really don't like masks and they are not hypocrites. ;)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
President Trump is very corrosive on our morality. One example is that we now much more easily say/think things that we otherwise would not have with less thought and inhibition, or similarly attributing nefarious motives to other peoples posts.

Some people on this board childishly call me a ''libtard" claiming that I don't understand "personal responsibility", which, I must admit, made me snicker a bit. The silver lining in this is that Trump has exposed the character of the current G.O.P. members of Congress and hopefully this leads to voting them out of power until they reform themselves.
Your spot on with that hes had an antagonistic style from day 1. The problem with that is when he wants to BE THE MAN so to speak then that means the buck stops with him. If things screw up its all on him he s The Man. And that's a big part of the problem he doesn't want to take responsibility for the mistakes.

Sadly in America both sides have just really as you aptly pointed out crossed a lot of lines that we normally wouldnt Democrats have been pretty nasty to listen to as well. Both sides have some responsibility in this I'm really not happy with either side right now BUT I do feel Trump has got to go. Anything has to be better then another 4 years of that style of leadership

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Back to work today... I guess as per the CDC I'm not a spreader anymore but I can't deny its awkward knowing I still have it in my body. I don't feel bad for the most part but I'm not 100% by any means.

Karen started back to work Wednesday night. Hospital went from "2 negative tests required" to "one negative test required" to "you've had symptoms for 2 weeks so you're no longer contagious." Hell of a thing. She got that call Monday and was floored by how quickly that narrative changed.

I don't make light of this at all. With my history of childhood asthma I was shittin bricks as to how it would play out. I hope like hell I don't catch it again.

highfigh

highfigh

They should put that on Herman Cain's tombstone.

“Although he was basically pretty healthy in recent years, he was still in a high-risk group because of his history with cancer,” Calabrese said.

What do you want on your headstone- something of your choice, or something chosen by others, based on some of your posts?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
“Although he was basically pretty healthy in recent years, he was still in a high-risk group because of his history with cancer,” Calabrese said.

What do you want on your headstone- something of your choice, or something chosen by others, based on some of your posts?
Honestly I'll be cremated and kept in an urn (or flushed down a toilet, I don't care)... but if I could pick my tombstone it would absolutely state how much of an asshole I was and the rest of the world can go F itself. and I mean that sincerely.

highfigh

highfigh

Honestly I'll be cremated and kept in an urn (or flushed down a toilet, I don't care)... but if I could pick my tombstone it would absolutely state how much of an asshole I was and the rest of the world can go F itself. and I mean that sincerely.
My mom used to say "I want my headstone to say 'See? I told you I was sick'".

I'm thinking of having a WC Fields quote but haven't picked one, yet-

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Back to work today...

I don't make light of this at all. With my history of childhood asthma I was shittin bricks as to how it would play out. I hope like hell I don't catch it again.
Glad to read that you and your wife are recovering quickly.

I also hope that the two of you don't catch it again. In fact, you should take it one step further. For your lungs' sake, don't get sick at all this next year. That means get the flu vaccine as soon as possible when it becomes available this fall. Both you and your wife.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
On the subject of vaccinations… If you haven't noticed me saying this before, I'll say it again.

It's not vaccines that will stop the Covid-19 pandemic. It's vaccinations.

We've all noticed the shockingly widespread opinions that vaccines are to be avoided. They are usually written online, on venues such as Twitter, Facebook, etc. Just how many of these 'opinions' are fake or generated by robots is a big question. But public health data makes it clear that fewer children are receiving the standard vaccines, such as the vaccine directed against measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR).

In the face of the Covid-19 pandemic, we've seen how many people refuse to wear face masks. Once effective vaccines are available, how many people will refuse to be vaccinated?

I'll bypass the 'Natural Selection' answers that say 'let those who refuse the vaccination suffer the natural consequences'. Similar thinking has been applied to those who refuse to wear seat belts while driving cars, or wear helmets while on motorcycles. The SARS-CoV-2 virus is highly contagious, unlike not using seat belts or helmets. This pandemic is too large and too widespread for this narrow minded thinking to work.

How can the refusers be persuaded to get vaccinated? In off-line discussions I've heard what might be a good idea – Scare Tactics. Most of us remember the graphic TV ads showing people who suffered debilitating, disfiguring, and fatal consequences from smoking or chewing tobacco. I think they helped by being shocking. Some of us, including myself, remember being shocked and scared when learning to drive by movies that graphically showed horrific results of traffic accidents. I remember seeing a movie called "Signal 30" as a junior in high school. There was enough blood & guts shown, that one or two kids barfed or passed out.

How about similar scare tactics aimed at those who refuse vaccines?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
We've all noticed the shockingly widespread opinions that vaccines are to be avoided. They are usually written online, on venues such as Twitter, Facebook, etc. Just how many of these 'opinions' are fake or generated by robots is a big question.
Found some stuff on this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6137759/

https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/blog/anti-vaccine-russian-trolls

These same account types are also generating a lot of the anti-mask stuff as well. I'm willing to hope that if people knew that they were essentially agreeing with things Russia says about our country and their health, they might change their tune.

Or, they are just so dumb the root of the message is meaningless.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Found some stuff on this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6137759/

https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/blog/anti-vaccine-russian-trolls

These same account types are also generating a lot of the anti-mask stuff as well. I'm willing to hope that if people knew that they were essentially agreeing with things Russia says about our country and their health, they might change their tune.

Or, they are just so dumb the root of the message is meaningless.
The anti vaxers I've run into firmly believe there's a giant conspiracy to suppress their version of "the truth." Essentially, they believe that anyone who doesn't share their beliefs is a naive twit who blindly follows the disinformation put out by the entities behind the conspiracy. In my experience it is a complete waste of time to discuss it because their beliefs are impervious to facts.

It is amazing to me how many people get sucked into this type of a belief system.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Of course, it doesn't help when you have organized groups and wealthy families actively spreading misinformation:

>>>The majority of Facebook advertisements spreading misinformation about vaccines were funded by two anti-vaccine groups, including one led by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., according to a study published this week.

The World Mercury Project, headed by Kennedy, and a California-based organization called Stop Mandatory Vaccination bought 54 percent of the anti-vaccine ads on Facebook, the study found.
Researchers said the results surprised them. Much of the anti-vaccine content posted on social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter may appear to be organic, grass-roots discussions led by neighborhood groups and concerned parents, said David A. Broniatowski, an associate professor at George Washington University and one of the authors of the study.

“In fact,” said Broniatowski, who studies group decision-making, “what we are seeing is a small number of motivated interests that are trying to disseminate a lot of harmful content.” The small group of anti-vaccine ad buyers successfully used the ads to reach targeted audiences. . . .

Earlier this year, The Post reported on a wealthy Manhattan couple who have emerged as major financiers of the anti-vaccine movement. Hedge fund manager and philanthropist Bernard Selz and his wife, Lisa, have contributed more than $3 million in recent years to a handful of activists who have played an outsize role in the anti-vaccine movement. <<<

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Of course, it doesn't help when you have organized groups and wealthy families actively spreading misinformation:

>>>The majority of Facebook advertisements spreading misinformation about vaccines were funded by two anti-vaccine groups, including one led by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., according to a study published this week.

The World Mercury Project, headed by Kennedy, and a California-based organization called Stop Mandatory Vaccination bought 54 percent of the anti-vaccine ads on Facebook, the study found.
Researchers said the results surprised them. Much of the anti-vaccine content posted on social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter may appear to be organic, grass-roots discussions led by neighborhood groups and concerned parents, said David A. Broniatowski, an associate professor at George Washington University and one of the authors of the study.

“In fact,” said Broniatowski, who studies group decision-making, “what we are seeing is a small number of motivated interests that are trying to disseminate a lot of harmful content.” The small group of anti-vaccine ad buyers successfully used the ads to reach targeted audiences. . . .

Earlier this year, The Post reported on a wealthy Manhattan couple who have emerged as major financiers of the anti-vaccine movement. Hedge fund manager and philanthropist Bernard Selz and his wife, Lisa, have contributed more than $3 million in recent years to a handful of activists who have played an outsize role in the anti-vaccine movement. <<<

Thank you for that info.

RFK Jr. has for a long time been problem for public health. I think he is a great disappointment to the memory of his father.

I remember reading that Washington Post article about the wealthy Manhattan couple.

More on this subject later. I feel a RANT brewing.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I just want to point out the hypocrisy with this whole not wearing a mask thing. I see a lot of trumpers whining that masks are a violation of their civil rights. That mandating people wear them in public is a violation of the law. The same people complaining that gun control is violating their civil rights as gun owners. Here's the thing, when a trumper holds a sign in protest of wearing a mask that says, my body my rights ( I have seen this so it's a fact) or decides to share data collected from back in January stating that wearing a mask does not prevent one from infection they are simply showing hostile rebellion to keep with the party line and feel they are giving the middle finger to democrats. I see this daily on the governors safety tweets in my state. People are hostile, act like we are under a nazi regime, etc... all because they are asked to wear a mask "TO PROTECT OTHER PEOPLE". Trumpers see wearing a mask as caving in to democrats when in fact, it's scientists and doctors AND OTHER REPUBLICANS asking everyone to wear masks. Sorry most scientist and doctors are democrats, you are damn lucky. It's this whole trumper cult mentality and GED armchair experts that is the cause of America having massive rises in the spread of the virus while literally every single country in the world not infected with Trumpism has either completely tackled the virus already or are on a sharp decline.

Simply wearing masks will not prevent one from becoming infected, we already know this. In reality, it's meant to reduce the amount of vile you spew from your toxic mouths into the air and onto surfaces that could potentially infect someone else. You see trumper, you are asked to wear a mask to "slow" the spread by not getting your raving spittle on other people. It's a humanitarian thing. In fact, in can be considered a "pro-life" thing since many people of all ages and ethnicity have proven to die from it in massive numbers. It is NOT the flu regardless of what Fox News has told you. So as conservatives quit often sit on their pedestals preaching about being "pro-life" they are in fact pro-death. To protect the living children that are already born and breathing that are attending classes from being massacred with weapons designed for mass murder, that is pro-life. To protect immune compromised lung transplant or cancer survivors from potentially being infected with a deadly virus, that is pro-life. Not forcing schools and business to re-open in red zones where the pandemic is as it's worse all for the sake of poll numbers and money, that is pro-life. To allow women and couples the right to privacy of what they do with their own bodies and to not invade their wombs which is in direct violation of the whole "my body my rights" facade, that is pro-life. I get that conservatives have one single platform that they fight for, Abortion. Yes it's a horrible thing, no one likes the idea of it and it certainly can be a gruesome thought. Using disinformation, misguided ideals and exaggerating the time frame in which people have it done is the platform, much like any other conservative platform. However, it's still the mothers choice and no one else's so people need to mind their own business since real, living people walking the earth need that attention more. Conservatives spend way too much time worried about what other people are doing and things that are not even born yet than what they can do to contribute and help those living souls that it everyone's help for real. It's less productive to fight about abortion than it is to simply wear a damn mask and shut the hell up. Seriously, if people are going to protest and picket over wearing a mask... we have greater issues in American society that need addressed like education reform. But they will protest that too.
Thank you.

highfigh

highfigh

On the subject of vaccinations… If you haven't noticed me saying this before, I'll say it again.

It's not vaccines that will stop the Covid-19 pandemic. It's vaccinations.

We've all noticed the shockingly widespread opinions that vaccines are to be avoided. They are usually written online, on venues such as Twitter, Facebook, etc. Just how many of these 'opinions' are fake or generated by robots is a big question. But public health data makes it clear that fewer children are receiving the standard vaccines, such as the vaccine directed against measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR).

In the face of the Covid-19 pandemic, we've seen how many people refuse to wear face masks. Once effective vaccines are available, how many people will refuse to be vaccinated?

I'll bypass the 'Natural Selection' answers that say 'let those who refuse the vaccination suffer the natural consequences'. Similar thinking has been applied to those who refuse to wear seat belts while driving cars, or wear helmets while on motorcycles. The SARS-CoV-2 virus is highly contagious, unlike not using seat belts or helmets. This pandemic is too large and too widespread for this narrow minded thinking to work.

How can the refusers be persuaded to get vaccinated? In off-line discussions I've heard what might be a good idea – Scare Tactics. Most of us remember the graphic TV ads showing people who suffered debilitating, disfiguring, and fatal consequences from smoking or chewing tobacco. I think they helped by being shocking. Some of us, including myself, remember being shocked and scared when learning to drive by movies that graphically showed horrific results of traffic accidents. I remember seeing a movie called "Signal 30" as a junior in high school. There was enough blood & guts shown, that one or two kids barfed or passed out.

How about similar scare tactics aimed at those who refuse vaccines?
The difference between SARS-CoV-2 and seat belts or helmets is this- the chance of being in a crash on a cycle or car/truck are lower than the chances of dying because belts or helmet were absent- these make the crash far more survivable. If someone is infected with the disease, the ones who are dying from this is about .3% and that includes those with conditions that increase the likelihood of death. On the surface, the .3% number doesn't seem so bad, but why kill more people just because some don't want to be inconvenienced? About 35% of the population won't show symptoms and that is probably seen as "They didn't have it, so I probably won't get it, either" by too many.

I think one way to get people to at least wear masks is to make them assist in hospitals, so they can watch people suffer and die from this.

I think we had to watch 'Red Highway' in Driver's Ed, but those didn't show the blood and gore. Now, they could just show news coverage of crash scenes- I saw one video a couple of days ago that showed a shredded car in one place, it's transmission about 50' away and the engine farther down the road, still steaming. Breaking the drive system free from its mounts is one thing, but separating the engine and transmission when they're held together by close to a dozen bolts is another.

I didn't live this long just to be infected by some idiot who thinks they're invincible.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I didn't live this long just to be infected by some idiot who thinks they're invincible.
Highfigh, all disagreements, rhetoric, politics, posturing, and stupidity aside, Your quote summarizes my feelings on COVID. Permission to use, put on a shirt?

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
About 35% of the population won't show symptoms and that is probably seen as "They didn't have it, so I probably won't get it, either" by too many.
Right? One concept that's eluding people is this is the reason it is a pandemic. So many people are asymptomatic or have very little symptoms and are out and about spreading it. My nephew got it and was only tested because he is in the medical field. He said he never really felt bad. They tested is wife and she had it but was completely asymptomatic. They did their 15 day quarantine.

If you got it, went home because you're really sick, thus not spreading it, this most likely wouldn't be a pandemic. Ebola is the classic - you get it and you go home and die (~80%). There's very little chance of you spreading it.

Also, shuffled somewhere in all this news, Florida has beaten it recorded daily covid deaths four days in a row. I haven't looked today, maybe another new record today? Who's freedom are the protecting down there?

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Right? One concept that's eluding people is this is the reason it is a pandemic. So many people are asymptomatic or have very little symptoms and are out and about spreading it. My nephew got it and was only tested because he is in the medical field. He said he never really felt bad. They tested is wife and she had it but was completely asymptomatic. They did their 15 day quarantine.

If you got it, went home because you're really sick, thus not spreading it, this most likely wouldn't be a pandemic. Ebola is the classic - you get it and you go home and die (~80%). There's very little chance of you spreading it.

Also, shuffled somewhere in all this news, Florida has beaten it recorded daily covid deaths four days in a row. I haven't looked today, maybe another new record today? Who's freedom are the protecting down there?
This right here it doesn't present as scary as some illnesses which makes it hard for some people to take it seriously

Which just makes it even more serious because it's just so Damn easy to spread

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

We've all noticed the shockingly widespread opinions that vaccines are to be avoided. They are usually written online, on venues such as Twitter, Facebook, etc. Just how many of these 'opinions' are fake or generated by robots is a big question. ...
That is exactly my question as well; Russian disinformation?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis