mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
18k and counting, the number of deaths so far this season from the 'flu' here in the US. I pray we don't see anywhere near that number from the coronavirus .............
Yes, and we have vaccine for it but not all have it. And know about them.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Your best protection is a competent and efficient response to the outbreak, at all levels. Stockpiles of guns, ammo, food and water, not so much.
You mean bullets will not kill those viruses? ;)

Better get my monies back. :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

18k and counting, the number of deaths so far this season from the 'flu' here in the US. I pray we don't see anywhere near that number from the coronavirus .............
It will be far, far more. The UK are planing for 250,000 to 400,000 dead on the low bracket and 400,000 to 750,000 dead on the high bracket, with an outlier of a million dead. That is just the UK.

We are only at the beginning of this. We are still at the earliest phase. US has made no estimates.

People need to stop comparing this to flu, it is nothing like it.

Chinese physicians have another paper in the JAMA today, showing that after recovery and testing negative, they can return to being virus shedders again.

There is a scramble on to find if dogs can truly be incidental hosts like the pangolin, or if it is accidental contamination. Unfortunately I suspect there is an awful lot about this infection we don't know, we don't know.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

You don’t wait until there’s a fire to staff your fire department.
Staff it? Trained people are hard to find. Takes a while to train a new staff up and running if you can find them.;):)

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
You mean bullets will not kill those viruses? ;)

Better get my monies back. :D
Of course bullets will kill them viruses but you have to practice very often to improve your hit rate, and that takes loads and loads of ammo.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Of course bullets will kill them viruses but you have to practice very often to improve your hit rate, and that takes loads and loads of ammo.
Well, I'll get a shotgun then.
Hope I don't hit the family.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
There is a scramble on to find if dogs can truly be incidental hosts like the pangolin [added bold], or if it is accidental contamination. Unfortunately I suspect there is an awful lot about this infection we don't know, we don't know.
@RedCharles Do you have any dogs guarding your compound?

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Well, I'll get a shotgun then.
Hope I don't hit the family.
In a more serious tone, I actually hope more people take your "Hope I don't hit the family" at heart and really consider their perceived need for firearms or at least extensive firearms training.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
It will be far, far more. The UK are planing for 250,000 to 400,000 dead on the low bracket and 400,000 to 750,000 dead on the high bracket, with an outlier of a million dead. That is just the UK.
Where did you get this information, Mark? A few internet searches returned no relevant results that coroborate your claim.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I already bought enough masks/gloves/safety glasses for my family and close friends a month ago. I have a two month supply of food and other essentials. I am pulling my kids from day care.

Construction is slow right for me right now; we're waiting on permits. I'm finishing three punch lists on sold houses, and finishing up the final inspections on another house. I normally build between 6-10 houses at time, but by the beginning of April, I will be waiting on half a dozen permits, so I have plenty of time to take of my kids.

Pocket hand sanitizer, tissues to touch door knobs.

I have a thermometer. I have an oximeter.

I will be cleaning any groceries. I will not eat out. No salads.

Shoes will remain outside. Floors must cleaned every day.

With any luck my wife will be able to work from home instead of going to her job at cardio clinic. If she get's called to ICU, I have tarps to isolate her from the rest of the house. I also have a plan to quarantine either myself or my wife in a spare bedroom, if either of us get sick. One of my biggest concerns is continuity of parenting. I am really trying to avoid both of us getting sick at the same time.
Red, you are the most cautious and prepared person I've run into. Portland is one of the places most likely to see an outbreak, IMO, because there are multiple companies with offices there who do a lot of business in China (like Intel, for example), and travel to China was commonplace before the advisories came into effect. Moreover, the Lake Oswego / West Linn area is where a lot of people who work for the those companies live.

Floors cleaned every day sounds like a lot of work. I hope your house isn't too big.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Where did you get this information, Mark? A few internet searches returned no relevant results that coroborate your claim.
On the other hand @TLS Guy has shown himself to be an honest broker, so I for one give him the benefit of doubt, and then some.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
On the other hand @TLS Guy has shown himself to be an honest broker, so I for one give him the benefit of doubt, and then some.
I'm not saying he isn't. But 450,000 deaths is about equal to the UK losses in WWII - catastrophic - so I'm curious.

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
I'm not saying he isn't. But 450,000 deaths is about equal to the UK losses in WWII - catastrophic - so I'm curious.
Irvrobinson, it's quite contagious. There's probably 52 cases in an old folks home in Seattle.

CFR 1-5% depending on medical care.

Listen to these case studies:

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
Jerrylove,

The masks aren't useless. N95 cut transmission for healthcare personal by 85% during the SARS epidemic. Masks also make you aware of touching your face.
P100 bayonet style respirators are even better, and quite a bit more comfortable. I also have full face masks with P100 filters. Not cheap, but if this thing takes off, might be worth it.

I was going to be buying a lot of maks anyway for painting a car, so either way, it's not money wasted.

I'm concerned that the front line ICU will go down, and that my wife will called in to take care of Corona patients, and that there will be a shortage of masks in one month. Azar said they need 300 million. They have 42 million. 3m said they can make a million a day, so obviously they're gonna be short on masks soon. And antibiotics. And God knows what else.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
TLS mentioned reinfection. Here's an NYT article about it.

Yup, I read that when it was published. And I'm not doubting reinfection is possible; this isn't my field. I'm just curious about the death estimates.

highfigh

highfigh

In a more serious tone, I actually hope more people take your "Hope I don't hit the family" at heart and really consider their perceived need for firearms or at least extensive firearms training.
I would like to see people use some other response for the problems they perceive. Based on population, Milwaukee is more deadly than Chicago and in the last two weeks, it's been brutal.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I cleaned up a bunch of bickering. Please keep conversation in this thread about the coronavirus and not about each other!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis