highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes. It will mean they went to work or otherwise left their house.

Not everyone can stay in their house for two weeks without ever leaving. If everyone did this, who would do the jobs that are needed to keep people fed, who would handle Police/Fire/EMS/Medical and other work?

It's easy to say "the German people are responsible for Hitler"; but it turns out that most any population under the same conditions is susceptible to the same thing. We've seen it over and over.

I'd go quite a bit farther than that; but we agree that he is part of the problem.

The prevailing attitude was that a certain group was 'The Problem' and Hitler, et al took that as the basis for their plan. It wasn't the first time it had happened, but it was the first time for that level of inhumanity. They were blamed for plague and pandemics- the thought that they needed to be exterminated wasn't held by a small group and sadly, some are blaming them for COVID-19.

You are an electrician and you need to run power cable to two homes.....
You are doing road construction.....
You need to clear land to build two houses that are each 1500 ft^2.....
You need to go to the grocery store.....
You are a delivery driver bringing goods to 2 grocery stores.....

and so on and so forth.

I meant public infrastructure- if someone wants to pay for this reaching their property and homes, let them- the utility doesn't do it at no charge and if you know of anyone who inquired about getting electric service installed over 5000' (and more), it's very expensive.

2) It turns out: Big business isn't spending any time looking out for you. I know this is shocking, but capitalism is inherently not promoting social welfare.

Big business isn't there to care for everyone unless that's specifically part of their plan but the heads of these businesses can look at what's happening and discuss it with their board of directors or whomever is in control- a CEO can't just do whatever they want, any more than POTUS and CEOs don't have executive privilege.

So I'd say the question is: Why wasn't the US government taking the threat of a pandemic seriously? Especially after the Swine Flu and Ebola? Why was our dedicated pandemic team disbanded and the responsibility put back under a different group that already had a different job.

Why did subsequent epidemics occur after the first ones? Because they looked at the odds and made their decisions. This one is different in that it is more contagious and it SHOULD have been taken far more seriously but CDC funding was cut before T was elected.

We don't elect leaders that take these things seriously because we have the memory of goldfish (the cracker, not the fish).

Definitely! I usually say that some people have the attention span of a thumbtack and describe some as being similar to a June Bug that can't get itself out of a corner.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
If this kills 1% of the US population, the lack of cooperation by the American public will be a major cause. When people go out to crowded places after they were told to stay home, this will spread unnecessarily. They can't know if they're infecting people with underlying health issues and that makes the irresponsible ones very dangerous.
Not everyone can stay in their house for two weeks without ever leaving. If everyone did this, who would do the jobs that are needed to keep people fed, who would handle Police/Fire/EMS/Medical and other work?
I'm confused. Are you saying that it's irresponsible or unavoidable?

The prevailing attitude was that a certain group was 'The Problem' and Hitler, et al took that as the basis for their plan. It wasn't the first time it had happened, but it was the first time for that level of inhumanity.
Google "The Spanish Inquisition". Targeted at the same ethnic group, I might add.

I meant public infrastructure
Roads (in my example) are public infrastructure. Power (also in my example), data, and water lines are near-as-makes-no-difference public infrastructure.

Why did subsequent epidemics occur after the first ones? Because they looked at the odds and made their decisions.
You realize that your grammar indicates that epidemics look at odds?

I bring this up not to be pendantic, but because your message is often difficult to dissect because of grammatical errors.

Trump got rid of the Pandemic team because 1) Obama put it in place, 2) he didn't like them.

This one is different in that it is more contagious and it SHOULD have been taken far more seriously but CDC funding was cut before T was elected.
Trump attempted to cut it further with every budget. He was overruled by Congress.

But I don't think I've raised the CDC as the concern (directly at least); it's the removal of the pandemic task force followed by the failure to act, and then acting inappropriately, when this did come along.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just an update for those not following the news.
Trump announced yesterday that the recommended restrictions on activity should stay in effect until the end of April - Thus acknowledging that the full churches on Easter is not reality.
He also stated today that a total of 100,000 U.S. deaths from Covid-19 would reflect that the US did a "very good job" containing the virus.
I don't know where he got that number from.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just an update for those not following the news.
Trump announced yesterday that the recommended restrictions on activity should stay in effect until the end of April - Thus acknowledging that the full churches on Easter is not reality.
He also stated today that a total of 100,000 U.S. deaths from Covid-19 would reflect that the US did a "very good job" containing the virus.
I don't know where he got that number from.
IIRC correctly, that is in line with Fauci's models that 100000-200000 is likely.

Turning around and saying that we did a good job is akin to an NFL player diving over the 20yd line and declaring it a game winning touchdown. :p

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
IIRC correctly, that is in line with Fauci's models that 100000-200000 is likely.

Turning around and saying that we did a good job is akin to an NFL player diving over the 20yd line and declaring it a game winning touchdown. :p
Ya if you can’t win, just redefine success... LOL :)

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Since I'm "essential", I was driving into work this morning. I woman rode my butt on the interstate so close taht I was shouting "That's NOT proper social distancing!"

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Hopefully this will help somewhat:

>>>Medtronic PLC said it would publicly share the design specifications for a ventilator product to allow other companies to explore producing it rapidly to help meet demand driven by the new coronavirus.

The company posted online the design documents, service manuals and other information for its Puritan Bennett 560, which is sold in 35 countries. The company plans to post software code and other information shortly.<<<

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
As usual, John Oliver does a pretty good job of presenting things.
I maybe should give notice he does not paint a rosy picture, nor does he hesitate to outline the things that Trump failed at and contradictions between what Trump says and does:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Since I'm "essential", I was driving into work this morning. I woman rode my butt on the interstate so close taht I was shouting "That's NOT proper social distancing!"
Obviously you need to yell louder next time.

Last edited:
JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
As usual, John Oliver does a pretty good job of presenting things.
I maybe should give notice he does not paint a rosy picture, nor does he hesitate to outline the things that Trump failed at and contradictions between what Trump says and does:
It's strange that we can't go into debt when there's an actual issue; but the debt to give tax breaks to people and corporations was OK.

It's strange that they are worrying now about "dooming Americans to a future of poverty and hunger", but don't care about a present of poverty and hunger.

It's like the only thing they care about is corporate profits.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
This is known as moving the goal posts.
The goal posts have been moving for weeks now. It was "the flu kills more" right up until it became quite clear that this is going to surpass the seasonal flu.

Soon you'll be hearing that heart disease kills more, cancer kills more, etc etc. Which is all true, unless and until CV19 takes more of us out than any other singular thing. And some will still find a way to keep their heads buried in their ass the sand.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The goal posts have been moving for weeks now. It was "the flu kills more" right up until it became quite clear that this is going to surpass the seasonal flu.

Soon you'll be hearing that heart disease kills more, cancer kills more, etc etc. Which is all true, unless and until CV19 takes more of us out than any other singular thing. And some will still find a way to keep their heads buried in their ass the sand.
They've been playing on a 25 yard field for quite some time now.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It's strange that we can't go into debt when there's an actual issue; but the debt to give tax breaks to people and corporations was OK.

It's strange that they are worrying now about "dooming Americans to a future of poverty and hunger", but don't care about a present of poverty and hunger.
It's strange that we have just been through a period of "unprecedented prosperity", but the national deficit has accelerated substantially under Trump.

It is strange that the large corporations don't want the government in their business, but they are the first to go to Uncle Sam with tin cup in hand when the winds of fate don't favor them!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis