Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I really can't believe you're sincere about posting that link. It's a mess of misinformation and half-baked conspiracy fantasies. You've had your knuckles rapped repeatedly about this, so I expect you know better. Yet, you do it again and again.

j_garcia got it right in his above post.
NOWHERE did I say it was Gospel, merely just another example of what the internet is perpetrating. So I take it Marion Koopmans is a fake in your opinion ? Regardless I got another 'notch' in my totem pole from ole 'Trellsky' !

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
NOWHERE did I say it was Gospel, merely just another example of what the internet is perpetrating.
You posted politically motivated falsehoods about the pandemic before. When I or others call you out on it, you protest that you never claimed it was actually true. I don't recall you ever volunteering the idea that 'here's another example of the bs posted online about the pandemic'. You've played that innocent card a bit too often for me to believe you.

In politics there is a faction among the right wing where 'getting the liberals panties in a knot' has become a game. That would be the Beavis & Butt-head faction of the right wing. Do you really intend to present yourself here in that manner?

Politics is one thing, but public health, in the face of a serious life-threatening pandemic, is quite another matter. Nearly 1 million people in the USA have died in the past 2 years because of Covid-19. And that's only counting those whose deaths were directly attributable to that virus.

Playing politics over a disease responsible for 1 million or more deaths is irresponsible and reckless.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
You posted politically motivated falsehoods about the pandemic before. When I or others call you out on it, you protest that you never claimed it was actually true. I don't recall you ever volunteering the idea that 'here's another example of the bs posted online about the pandemic'. You've played that innocent card a bit too often for me to believe you.

In politics there is a faction among the right wing where 'getting the liberals panties in a knot' has become a game. That would be the Beavis & Butt-head faction of the right wing. Do you really intend to present yourself here in that manner?

Politics is one thing, but public health, in the face of a serious life-threatening pandemic, is quite another matter. Nearly 1 million people in the USA have died in the past 2 years because of Covid-19. And that's only counting those whose deaths were directly attributable to that virus.

Playing politics over a disease responsible for 1 million or more deaths is irresponsible and reckless.
You're read way too much into it. I'm in NO WAY making fun of public health, you're twisting things wrong here. No, I don't have all the answers and neither do you.

Just because your narrative is not followed to the letter of the law ?? I posted a link to something counter to your liking and you decide to go ballistic ?

Ok, cease fire, lets get back to, as you say, 'the topic at hand' ....... :)

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry to hear that. I just over a case. I got Paxlovid as fast as I could. A 5-day course worked as promised. My last dose was on Tuesday morning, and I've tested negative on Wednesday afternoon and again this morning.

In addition to Paxlovid, I took ibuprofen for headache and fever.

Look for Test to Treat locations near you.
Guess you can't truly appreciate it till you've had it. For me it's the back pain that's so bad. Then the chills. Congestion and sore throat came later. I feel bad though for people with pre-existing conditions and the elderly. Think though when I heard a cat died from it was when I was saddest oddly.:(

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I've noticed whenever I use Flonase, my sense of smell increases. I don't think that's a common side effect, but for better or worse it seems at least somewhat permanent (not necessarily a good thing to smell things across the room no one else can smell 2 feet away).

Anyway, I thought early on in the pandemic, maybe Flonase could help at least some who lost much of their sense of smell (I lost my ability to taste sugar for a month when I had Bells Palsey and that was miserable enough).

I got no results then, but a more recent search showed a completed government trial on this very thing from 2021 (along with triamcinolone paste for lost taste). The results are even better than I imagined so I have no idea why this isn't common knowledge at this point, but if you've lost taste or smell it might very well help. If I'm reading the results correctly, all participants regained most of their smell and taste functions within 1 week!

I just thought this might be of help to some on here and if it works for you then you might want to pass the information on.

Here's a link to the government study:

Government Study On Flonase for Loss of Smell from Covid-19

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I haven't had the loss of taste, and my nose is too plugged up to know if I've lost smell.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Got COVID booster #2 today. Moderna. 6 months since last booster. That makes 4 COVID shots in all, so far.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Swerd, Dude#, I'm really sorry you guys got the virus. All the best to the both of you.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Swerd, Dude#, I'm really sorry you guys got the virus. All the best to the both of you.
Thanks.

And now … chapter 2. Last night and this morning I felt mildly sick, as if it's coming back. I ran a quick at-home test, and sure enough I was positive again. I quickly went online to schedule a Test-to-Treat visit at my local drug store for tomorrow morning. I hope I'll get another 5-day course of Paxlovid, but I don't know what they'll do. I'll be sure to remind them of the immune suppressing drugs I must take.

I remember in younger days how people often got the flu. And after a few days, felt like they were on the mend, only to get a few more days of fever and illness. People called it the 'boomerang flu'. I feel like I've been boomeranged with Covid-19 and now with Covid-20.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks.

And now … chapter 2. Last night and this morning I felt mildly sick, as if it's coming back. I ran a quick at-home test, and sure enough I was positive again. I quickly went online to schedule a Test-to-Treat visit at my local drug store for tomorrow morning. I hope I'll get another 5-day course of Paxlovid, but I don't know what they'll do. I'll be sure to remind them of the immune suppressing drugs I must take.

I remember in younger days how people often got the flu. And after a few days, felt like they were on the mend, only to get a few more days of fever and illness. People called it the 'boomerang flu'. I feel like I've been boomeranged with Covid-19 and now with Covid-20.
I probably should've gotten Paxlovid on Saturday but sat on it. I think it's through Monday evening/Tuesday morning would be my fifth day of having symptoms. Anyway, felt terrible the first part of the day but feeling a little better now.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
What my ma taught me was get a pot of water boiling and leave it on low and every now and then inhale through your nose for a minute or two at a time. It helps with nasal congestion.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Swerd, did the COVID vaccine help you at all? I read that the drug Paxlovid would nail this stuff quickly.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
What my ma taught me was get a pot of water boiling and leave it on low and every now and then inhale through your nose for a minute or two at a time. It helps with nasal congestion.
It does, especially if you can get mint or something in it.

Sucks that it's only a temporary solution

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Swerd, did the COVID vaccine help you at all? I read that the drug Paxlovid would nail this stuff quickly.
That's a good question, but I don't expect a clear answer. My guess is YES, the vaccinations helped.

I had mild symptoms on the first go round, runny nose, cough, low-to-mid fever 99-101°. (I treated the fever with ibuprofen and Mucinex DM at night for the cough.) If I had no Covid-19 vaccinations, I would have expected much worse symptoms – hospitalization, intubation, or worse. These mild symptoms are the same for my 2nd go round.

My thinking is that the 5-day course of Paxlovid was not long enough to eliminate my virus. It was enough to make me feel much better after 2-3 days of the 5-day course. I tested Negative on days 6 & 8, but was Positive again on day 10. Today is day 11 and I've had symptoms since yesterday. It may be enough for people with normal immune systems, but not enough for those who take immune suppressing drugs.

I went to the MinuteClinic at my local CVS drug store this morning. The nurse practitioner said she could not give me another course of Paxlovid without waiting 3 weeks between courses.

I called my primary care doctor, and I will speak with her by video call later today. She is up to speed on my auto-immune condition and it's treatments. If necessary, she'll contact my rheumatologist.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
That's a good question, but I don't expect a clear answer. My guess is YES, the vaccinations helped.

I had mild symptoms on the first go round, runny nose, cough, low-to-mid fever 99-101°. (I treated the fever with ibuprofen and Mucinex DM at night for the cough.) If I had no Covid-19 vaccinations, I would have expected much worse symptoms – hospitalization, intubation, or worse. These mild symptoms are the same for my 2nd go round.

My thinking is that the 5-day course of Paxlovid was not long enough to eliminate my virus. It was enough to make me feel much better after 2-3 days of the 5-day course. I tested Negative on days 6 & 8, but was Positive again on day 10. Today is day 11 and I've had symptoms since yesterday. It may be enough for people with normal immune systems, but not enough for those who take immune suppressing drugs.

I went to the MinuteClinic at my local CVS drug store this morning. The nurse practitioner said she could not give me another course of Paxlovid without waiting 3 weeks between courses.

I called my primary care doctor, and I will speak with her by video call later today. She is up to speed on my auto-immune condition and it's treatments. If necessary, she'll contact my rheumatologist.
Wow, just read this, another go-around, that sucks ! Fingers crossed this is it and back to normal for the Memorial weekend BBQ !

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai

Yikes, I certainly hope you can get another course of Paxlovid.

The rules with regards to what meds doctors can prescribe even if it is contrary to the guidelines has always been something of a mystery to me.

Pfizer said a second course is okay for patients that rebound, but the federal guidelines have apparently not been updated.

>>>Pfizer executives said people whose COVID-19 symptoms rebound after taking the antiviral Paxlovid should repeat the treatment, though federal guidelines only recommend one five-day treatment course, Bloomberg reported May 3. . . .

"Paxlovid does what it has to do: It reduces the viral load. Then your body is supposed to do the job," Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla told Bloomberg. In the rare case that virus levels rebound, "then you give a second course, like you do with antibiotics, and that's it," he said.

Paxlovid is available under an emergency use authorization by the FDA, and the drug's prescribing directions say it's "not authorized for use for longer than [five] consecutive days." The FDA did not immediately respond to Bloomberg's request for comment on how the drug should be prescribed for patients with rebounding symptoms.<<<

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Dang, I hope you figure this out Swerd. Here are some snips from the Bloomberg article:

>>>Doctors contacted by Bloomberg have reported seeing numerous patients with the viral rebound phenomenon in recent weeks.

David Wohl, a professor at the Institute of Global Health and Infectious Diseases at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, has already run into difficulty getting a second course of Paxlovid to a high-risk patient whose symptoms returned after treatment. The patient was denied a repeat course of Paxlovid after her pharmacy submitted the request for the second round of treatment, he said.

The pharmacy was able to get around this block by resubmitting the request for Paxlovid as if it were an entirely new infection, Wohl said, rather than treating it as an extension of the original bout of Covid.

“Pfizer’s statement fails to recognize the reality of use of the drug,” under emergency-use authorization, Wohl said.

Paul Sax, a Harvard Medical School professor at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, said that while prescribing instructions aren’t clear at the moment, the Mass General Brigham health system is developing guidance on the issue for clinicians in case that the FDA allows for repeat treatment.

“Clearly this is most important for patients who are severely immunocompromised, or otherwise quite fragile medically,” Sax said.<<<

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
This NEJM blog article states that the 5-day clock starts over with a relapse:

>>>n communications with clinicians, the FDA and Pfizer have made it clear that the people who relapse are in fact eligible for re-treatment under the Emergency Use Authorization (EUA). In other words, the within-5-day symptom clock starts over with the relapse. This would be justified clinically for our highest-risk patients (severely immunocompromised, medically fragile, or with severe recurrent symptoms), and favored over other outpatient treatments (all of which have logistical or efficacy issues) until we know more. So far, viral resistance has not been identified.<<<

https://blogs.jwatch.org/hiv-id-observations/index.php/more-on-relapses-after-paxlovid-treatment-for-covid-19/2022/05/04/

I'm not sure if any of this information will help anyone, but, here it is just in case.

As the guy from Hills Street Blues said: Let's be careful out there!

(The guy from Hills Street Blues also said: "Let's spend a little less time flirting with the hookers and the waitresses and put some heavy attention on that park," but I'm guessing this doesn't apply here)(lame attempt at humor alert! ;))

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis