Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Today I read that Florida and Texas accounted for 40% of all the Covid-19 hospitalizations occurring last week. The population of those two states is 15% of the total USA population.

And, we all noticed that Gov. Abbot of Texas has tested positive for Covid-19.
  • He has been fully vaccinated.
  • He has been regularly tested for Covid-19, every day.
  • Now that he has Covid-19, he is receiving the Regeneron antibody cocktail by IV infusion (continuous or daily?).
  • This is the same politician who orders his state to refuse wearing masks, resist required vaccinations, and has asked (ordered) Texas hospitals to stop performing procedures for non-emergency patients as long as there are unprecedented numbers of Covid-19 hospitalizations.
What in god's name is he thinking? His Hypocrisy, with a capital H, makes him stand above the rest of our nation's politicians.

We need a 'National Dope Slap Day' in the US. Those deserving public humiliation would be pilloried on a public square, and exposed to the angry public. Responses, such as dope-slaps to the face or throwing rotten tomatoes (one per customer) would be permitted, but no violence beyond that. Greg Abbot of Texas would be my nomination for the first to get a full day's worth of dope-slaps. (We're not complete savages, he could also get his IV infusion of antibody medication while pilloried.)
Shows what he is made of, I guess: Because he himself can get state of the art treatment that very few other people have access to (paid by taxes) he exploits the deadly pandemic for his own political and financial gain.

That 'National Dope Slap Day' could also be extended to a number of posters on this forum.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
That could work out for the better for us. If they nationalize all private enterprise, it's just a matter of time before they run businesses into the ground and collapse their economy.
Not soon enough. ;)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well update my mom got Covid as well. Even though my dad and her were quarantined on separate sides of the house with masks on. She still got it

Once again hooray for vaccines. She's older like dad in her 70s had 3 surgeries this year still healing from the last one but thanks to vaccination the only symptoms she has are a mild cold and light fever.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I'm sure I'll get slammed for more 'fake' news ;) , regardless watch at your own discretion

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Well update my mom got Covid as well. Even though my dad and her were quarantined on separate sides of the house with masks on. She still got it

Once again hooray for vaccines. She's older like dad in her 70s had 3 surgeries this year still healing from the last one but thanks to vaccination the only symptoms she has are a mild cold and light fever.
Bad news that she got it, but good news the symptoms are mild.

This virus is a persistent little F'r.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Bad news that she got it, but good news the symptoms are mild.

This virus is a persistent little F'r.
Very persistent they are both vaccinated and went back to Red River because it is isolated and cut off and they still both managed to get it

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
The notion that people can declare themselves to be above the law is rather curious, to say the least. This nonsense would receive a similar reception in a U.S. court.

>>>SINGAPORE: After a brief one-day trial, British national Benjamin Glynn was on Wednesday evening (Aug 18) convicted of all charges against him and sentenced to six weeks' jail.

Glynn, who claimed to be a "sovereign, living man" against whom the law had "no effect", was found guilty of four charges of failing to wear a mask, public nuisance and using threatening words towards a public servant.

District Judge Eddy Tham said Glynn was "completely misguided" in his beliefs that he was not subject to Singapore's mask-wearing laws and was instead under "some higher law".<<<

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Today I read that Florida and Texas accounted for 40% of all the Covid-19 hospitalizations occurring last week. The population of those two states is 15% of the total USA population.

And, we all noticed that Gov. Abbot of Texas has tested positive for Covid-19.
  • He has been fully vaccinated.
  • He has been regularly tested for Covid-19, every day.
  • Now that he has Covid-19, he is receiving the Regeneron antibody cocktail by IV infusion (continuous or daily?).
  • This is the same politician who orders his state to refuse wearing masks, resist required vaccinations, and has asked (ordered) Texas hospitals to stop performing procedures for non-emergency patients as long as there are unprecedented numbers of Covid-19 hospitalizations.
What in god's name is he thinking? His Hypocrisy, with a capital H, makes him stand above the rest of our nation's politicians.

We need a 'National Dope Slap Day' in the US. Those deserving public humiliation would be pilloried on a public square, and exposed to the angry public. Responses, such as dope-slaps to the face or throwing rotten tomatoes (one per customer) would be permitted, but no violence beyond that. Greg Abbot of Texas would be my nomination for the first to get a full day's worth of dope-slaps. (We're not complete savages, he could also get his IV infusion of antibody medication while pilloried.)
There are reports that Abbot received a third jab. He seems to believe in vaccines for himself (I'm not sure if he has a compromised immune system).

>>>Abbott has told people he received a third booster dose of a vaccine, two sources said. Abbott's office did not respond to a request for comment about a booster shot. Except for people with compromised immune systems, booster shots have not been authorized by the Food and Drug Administration, although the Biden administration is expected to announce a program to administer them soon.<<<

However, he's bringing in the meat trucks for everyone else:

>>>(CNN) Five mortuary trailers have been requested by the health services department in Texas, which is seeing a surge in Covid-19 cases and, along with Florida, leads the nation in pediatric hospitalizations. The Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) submitted a request for the trailers following a review of state data on fatalities, according to spokesman Douglas Loveday.<<<

I'd have to concede that in a sense, he is giving them what they want.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan

>>>In Alabama, where the nation’s lowest vaccination rate has helped push the state closer to a record number of hospitalizations, a physician has sent a clear message to his patients: Don’t come in for medical treatment if you are unvaccinated.

Jason Valentine, a physician at Diagnostic and Medical Clinic Infirmary Health in Mobile, Ala., posted a photo on Facebook this week of him pointing to a sign taped to a door informing patients of his new policy coming Oct. 1.
“Dr. Valentine will no longer see patients that are not vaccinated against covid-19,” the sign reads.
Valentine wrote in the post, which has since been made private but was captured in online images, that there were “no conspiracy theories, no excuses” stopping anyone from being vaccinated, AL.com reported. The doctor, who said at least three unvaccinated patients have asked him where they could get a vaccine since he posted the photo, has remained resolute to those who have questioned his decision in recent days.

“If they asked why, I told them covid is a miserable way to die and I can’t watch them die like that,” wrote Valentine, who has specialized in family medicine with Diagnostic and Medical Clinic since 2008.
Valentine expressed his frustration on Facebook over similar cases of those who’ve hesitated or outright rejected getting vaccinated.
“We do not yet have any great treatments for severe disease, but we do have great prevention with vaccines. Unfortunately, many have declined to take the vaccine, and some end up severely ill or dead,” he wrote. “I cannot and will not force anyone to take the vaccine, but I also cannot continue to watch my patients suffer and die from an eminently preventable disease.”

After he announced he would not see unvaccinated patients starting Oct. 1, the doctor said he required that people show documentation of their vaccination for them to keep him as their physician.
“If you wish to choose another physician, we will be happy to transfer your records,” Valentine wrote.
<<<

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not sure how reliable this data is, but the third shot seems to be quite effective so far in Israel, with fewer side effects than the first two shots:

>>>The first data released by Maccabi Health Services Wednesday indicates that the booster has so far proven to be 86% effective in preventing infections among the elderly, a very high rate, considering that the efficacy of the previous two doses had dropped to as low as 16% for them.

New data released Thursday by the Health Ministry on side effects of the vaccine confirmed that the booster appears to elicit fewer side effects than the first two shots.<<<

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It's Abbot's conscience that is compromised.
Just in case you aren't aware.

Abbot in 2011: I'm suing the EPA because them telling us to winterize our power plants is government overreach.
Texans in 2021: Would have been nice if our power plants were winterized so we have power and don't freeze to death. If only someone would have told us?
Other Texans in 2021: We still don't want government overreach. I don't care if it's good advice. We don't have to listen to the government.

Abbot in 2021: Schools and Government offices can't have mask mandates.
Texans in 2021: I thought you didn't like government overreach?
Other Texans in 2021: YAY
Schools in Texas 2021:We're going to go ahead and mandate masks in some schools anyway.
Texas judges in 2021: Schools can do it if they want to.
Other Texans in 2021: Booo
Abbot in 2021: NOOOOO how will we fight corona if we have masks????
Other Texans in 2021: You have to do what the government says.
Other Texas judges in 2021: No mask mandates
Other Schools in Texas 2021: Fine, it's part of the dress code.
Abbot: Gets corona after being at a party with no masks hugging people.

Me:

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
The notion that people can declare themselves to be above the law is rather curious, to say the least. This nonsense would receive a similar reception in a U.S. court.

>>>SINGAPORE: After a brief one-day trial, British national Benjamin Glynn was on Wednesday evening (Aug 18) convicted of all charges against him and sentenced to six weeks' jail.

Glynn, who claimed to be a "sovereign, living man" against whom the law had "no effect", was found guilty of four charges of failing to wear a mask, public nuisance and using threatening words towards a public servant.

District Judge Eddy Tham said Glynn was "completely misguided" in his beliefs that he was not subject to Singapore's mask-wearing laws and was instead under "some higher law".<<<

Especially in Singapore, where chewing gum is banned. Anti-social behaviour is severely frowned upon.

Darenwh

Darenwh

Audioholic
Half thinking we should only allow those under 18 to be flown to out of state medical facilities if ICU is full. So tired of adults who have access to free vaccinations being so irresponsible and then expect aid when things go wrong.

I know this will not happen and do not really feel it should but I do believe that as other states see the Delta variant increase sickness in their state that some of their citizens will have a hard time finding a bed due to patients from other states that are still taking up beds in their states.

At the very least every one of these individuals should be 100% responsible for the costs of their treatment if they chose to ignore basic precautions that could have kept them safe or at least greatly reduce the chance for them to get severely ill.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Here's the latest risk level map from globalepidemics.org. This is not good no matter how you slice it (I suspect that the green patch in Nebraska is due to a lack of reporting, not zero cases).
1629428153818.png
, not zero cases).

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
The relatively quick drop in efficacy in preventing infections is not good news (emphasis added to distingiush preventing infections from preventing severe disease).

>>>Aug 19 (Reuters) - A British public health study has found that protection from either of the two most commonly used COVID-19 vaccines against the now prevalent Delta variant of the coronavirus weakens within three months.

It also found that those who get infected after receiving two shots of either the Pfizer-BioNTech (22UAy.DE) or the AstraZeneca (AZN.L) vaccine may be of greater risk to others than under previous variants of the coronavirus.

Based on more than three million nose and throat swabs taken across Britain, the Oxford University study found that 90 days after a second shot of the Pfizer or Astrazeneca vaccine, their efficacy in preventing infections had slipped to 75% and 61% respectively.

That was down from 85% and 68%, respectively, seen two weeks after a second dose. The decline in efficacy was more pronounced among those aged 35 years and older than those below that age. . . .
"Vaccines are probably best at preventing severe disease and slightly less at preventing transmission," said Pouwels.

The authors cautioned that the viral concentration in the throat was only a rough proxy for severity of symptoms and that they had no new data on the duration of infections.<<<

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
>>>Aug 19 (Reuters) - A British public health study has found that protection from either of the two most commonly used COVID-19 vaccines against the now prevalent Delta variant of the coronavirus weakens within three months. … …
That Reuters article was alright, in that it emphasized caution in the authors' conclusions. But the article's title, "British study shows COVID-19 vaccine efficacy wanes under Delta" makes me grind my teeth.

I fully realize this was a report from clinical MDs who are extremely busy fighting this pandemic. They're on the front lines, and they don't have time for hard-nosed science. I also fully realize that I'm a more hard-nosed scientist than the average reader here. Words chosen in a publication or news article must be consistent with the actual results of the study. I'd change the Reuters title to this:

British study shows suggests COVID-19 vaccine efficacy may wane under Delta.​

While I'm venting, the dropping antibody levels (often called antibody titer) in peoples blood, months after vaccination, is not unexpected. Those antibodies circulating at high levels in the weeks and first months after vaccination are no different than in a person who was actually infected by SARS-CoV-2 and developed the disease. Months later, the B-cells that produce those antibodies stand down.

But the lower circulating antibody levels do not mean the immune system has lost its newly acquired ability to recognize and fight the infecting virus. The immune B-cells (known as Memory cells) maintain their ability to rapidly respond, and quickly produce more antibodies in the future. This requires a new source of stimulation, either a 3rd vaccine shot, or exposure to the virus itself. These Memory cells don't work alone. They need help, in the form of CD4+ Helper T-cells, that directly respond to the new stimulation by secreting signal molecules (cytokines) that activate the quiescent Memory cells to start producing more antibodies.

These same Helper T-cells send the same message to those other T-cells, the CD8+ Killer T-cells, to activate them out of quiescence. Instead of producing antibodies, they actively kill host cells infected by the virus.

All three populations of immune cells, the Memory cells, CD+4 Helper T-cells, and CD8+ Killer T-cells are the direct result of prior infection or vaccination. They didn't exist before exposure to the virus or the spike protein. They only appear in circulation about 2 weeks after initial exposure to virus or vaccine. But once a person is immunized, re-exposure to virus or vaccine generates a rapid response without the 2 week (or longer) delay. The best evidence we have is that these three types of cells last much longer than the circulating antibodies themselves.

All those 'waning levels of antibodies' reports in the months after vaccination can be interpreted in two possible ways. The waning antibodies are to be expected as I've said above, or they represent a true loss of immunity. There are many reports of 'breakthrough' infections in immunized people that result in much less severe disease symptoms. I think these are consistent with the explanation I've given above. However, that does not mean we should stop actively looking for evidence of something worse.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
In my above rant, I left something out. The Reuters article mentioned that the results were from "more than three million nose and throat swabs taken across Britain". The article didn't say whether these samples were tested by the PCR assay or one of the several antibody assays. I'm going to guess that the PCR assay was done, as it's more sensitive and specific for SARS-CoV-2 than the antibody assays are.

However, the PCR assay only tells us if viral mRNA is present. It recognizes both intact viral mRNA and smaller fragments of viral mRNA. The intact mRNA, if packaged with the viral proteins, is infectious – the mRNA fragments are not infectious. I've not seen any publication that directly compares PCR assay results with assays of virus infectiousness (known as plaque formation assays).

That report in the Reuters article ignored that. How infectious is the mRNA produced in 'breakthrough' infections?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis