Comparing speakers? A & B

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Using insignia ns str514 stereo receiver .

should I hook each set to A & B and run them as 2 pairs or try one of each speaker hooked up at the same time as pictured ??
I may do both ..
I’m doing it in the basement, no furniture to color the sound at all .
Trying to decide which will do surround duty , 4 way vs 2 way.
normally I wouldn’t ask something this basic, but I don’t really compare speakers usually I use the ones that are the best but in this fight there is no clear winner pre test.
The supposedly audiophile pair is only 2 way vs 4 way Phillips.
My bedroom system isn’t set up yet I can’t compare them up there .

Attachments

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
For music the bigger ones seem to win , but the treble is close enough either could work as surrounds .
I’ll test these out next , mine are icons .
0D7EB482-89E7-43D6-BF6F-04DF298716B2.jpeg

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Why do they point the tweeters away from the listener?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That is a surround speaker, the bi/dipole one.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah funny it always ends up bi/dipole vs monopole bookshelf’s.. one has better bass surround has better’s treble two horns .
I have some Sony 2 woofer bookshelf also but not sure if they can compete with the Klipch surround or the Philips Magnavox . It’s just for surround duty anyway, pioneer Andrew Jones towers are my fronts .
Might as well compare every speaker available.. can always get rid of anything I think is junk later on. Already 1 pair I said was garbage some aiwas .
Does bass matter much for surrounds, I’m using a 15” sealed sub in this set up.
6.5” woofer vs 4” woof isn’t a fair fight .

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
How does a bipolar compare to a speaker with 2 woofers like this ? I’m going to compare them at some point soon.
The Klipch might win but worth a shot lol. :D
9F40C4FB-F43E-4B12-B66C-BFE2A3AF35EB.jpeg
18DBFB9D-5465-40A2-9DFD-77B4F26A13A4.jpeg
62B643D3-15D8-48A5-847F-47AC2CC09DA9.jpeg

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am going to say don't waste your time with speakers like that last one. 99% of those are junk.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
My surround speakers have the same configuration. It makes no sense to me at all. Actually I would be content without the surround speakers to tell the truth.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I am going to say don't waste your time with speakers like that last one. 99% of those are junk.
Yeah the Klipch surround obliterated them in the treble aspects , bass is the only thing they’re good at . The magnovox I showed a few posts above give the Klipch a good run for their sound . Sonys we’re garbage on an amp that lacks bass , I’m going with they suck I’m trying them on a newer avr see if they Actually suck .
Insignia vs Klipch vs magnovox is the three way tie so far . The last I may use for Bluetooth music instead of surround .
So it’s Insignia vs Klipch…
0DFF39CD-6BFC-4488-A035-45CB458EF2D1.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
So it’s zero bass and good treble vs loads of bass and moderately good treble from my surrounds … hmm ..:confused:
The insignia and Klipsch tied so far . Sony treble lost but won the mid bass battle totally wins as far as sound depth is concerned despite most shelf speakers trash these are good.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
My surround speakers have the same configuration. It makes no sense to me at all. Actually I would be content without the surround speakers to tell the truth.
I’m trying to decide on the insignia bookshelf as surrounds vs the Klipch double tweeter model . Tough choice the Sonys are more suited for front speaker duty in a different set up.
790A1536-D301-44C6-8D11-43CE0887AF91.jpeg
B13F7A1E-E975-467C-9FE0-ACD1FBC68CDA.jpeg
9D07B2F6-2D43-41CE-B5C8-C57A65D35220.jpeg
EC0A7ECD-DE62-4B9A-A716-79A51A049BEA.jpeg
BF27E984-74FA-493B-9CDA-EEA0A24F10B9.jpeg
8609BDF5-5865-4697-BBF3-FC878236FAA7.jpeg
E351C4C1-612C-4B21-9AAE-9C3DBD26A7E8.jpeg

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Some of the speakers you are considering (maybe not anymore) appear to have come with a "all-in-one" portable system.
One thing about speakers that came with these systems is they are often designed exclusively for use with the system they are packaged/sold with.
Usually, if you listen to a favorite song on the all-in-one system and then compare the sound to you "real" system, you will readily hear worse sound when the same speakers is used for you real system.
Another test you can do is play your Andrew Jones speakers using the all-in-one system and see if they sound like the same speakers you are familiar with. Some of those systems use neutral electronics and speakers, but others have custom EQ'ed the speakers and electronics so they work pretty good as long as you don't try to integrate them into another system!

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Some of the speakers you are considering (maybe not anymore) appear to have come with a "all-in-one" portable system.
One thing about speakers that came with these systems is they are often designed exclusively for use with the system they are packaged/sold with.
Usually, if you listen to a favorite song on the all-in-one system and then compare the sound to you "real" system, you will readily hear worse sound when the same speakers is used for you real system.
Another test you can do is play your Andrew Jones speakers using the all-in-one system and see if they sound like the same speakers you are familiar with. Some of those systems use neutral electronics and speakers, but others have custom EQ'ed the speakers and electronics so they work pretty good as long as you don't try to integrate them into another system!
no wonder the two last non htib speakers win the shootout.
Yeah I ended up moving those htib speakers to a system for Bluetooth and YouTube/pandora music set up. I don’t have the magnovox htib just these two bookshelves I found at goodwill for dirt cheap $20 or less.
The Sonys I got new at circuit city like 1999 I have that receiver , best Christmas gift I ever got .
57909242-14E1-49B4-8EC2-81063EB5F3D5.jpeg
DBC9644E-C1F0-42EB-B7C2-628E009A54D4.jpeg
B86136BB-4133-4232-8E6C-770C9DFFD959.jpeg
A5AE8707-CB7E-457E-A636-8B3A7C847295.jpeg
54D50614-3264-4E40-B0F6-1A885B4A1577.jpeg
A33E2430-0EBB-4178-91D6-6183EC628AA6.jpeg

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I am using the same receiver right now with my Boston Acoustics bookshelf speakers and a Sony subwoofer. Peace and goodwill.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis