Cold and Flu season - heres a cure

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Buckle-meister said:
Good thinking Rjbudz; why buy H.P. when you can just walk around with your fingers in your ears instead. I like your thinking.
....of course one has to keep one's eyes shut and not breath through mouth (rural folks) or nose. THEN one is protected! :D

majorloser

majorloser

rjbudz said:
....of course one has to keep one's eyes shut and not breath through mouth (rural folks) or nose. THEN one is protected! :D
Are you sure you don't want to try the 50% H2O2 soak? :eek:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
rjbudz said:
It has been proven to have NO effect on rhinoviruses. Sorry BEF1. And even if it did work, just why would it be so ubiquitously suppressed by modern science (as opposed to modern drug manufacturers)? LOL.

But it does make for a great wound cleaner and toe-jam remover. ;)

Hey, urban legends need super bug cleaners to make them go away:D but they resit that too.
I discovered that some relatives use homeopathic stuff:mad: Their evidence? Everyone uses it and it works for them. Doctor friends want to introduce it at a clinic, even though they know it has nothing in it but water or alcohol. How does it work then? Water has a memory of the original medicine before the dilution process:mad:
I am asking for some textbooks on this memory and the person who received the Nobel for this discovery:D
No, I am not holding my breath.:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Buckeyefan 1 said:
One other thing - don't knock it until you try it. ]

That is not evidence? Why would we accept this when we ask for evidence in audio differences, not just trying it and being biased?
Perhaps there is better evidence for this than ' I tried it and it works.'
Sounds like an infomercial:D
Or some of my relatives about homeopathic stuff.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Sheep said:
RJ, to argue that this is useless, without trying it for yourself and going only by second hand information it pointless. Next time you have a cold, try it.

SheepStar
I guess bias is not an issue then?
Then why do we seek evidence based information in audio? Or, in anything that involves the human body?
After all, any test is second hand unless you are part of the test. Nothing wrong with that. The whole of medical research is based on second hand research.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

rjbudz said:

Some should really follow this advice. Then we wouldn't have so much junk science out there or so many gullible ones:D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Museless question,

RJ claims there is proof they don't work, but hasn't shown any. Why should he be right if he hasn't backed up his claim?

I've tried this method, and I did feel better. However, I was a couple days into my cold so I didn't know if it was from this, or the fact that my body was starting to win.

Everything that its supposed to do (other then fix it) happened. Bullbing ears, etc.

There isn't any evidence that is clear cut for either way, yet you've already made up your mind.

Biased?

SheepStar

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
To cure the flu you'll need to repeat this process two or more times at one or two hours intervals until there is no more bubbling when putting hp in ear(s). (I disagree, one time with 3 drops per ear is all you need - if there's no bubbling in one ear, you don't need to wait.
The bubbling isn't related to the degree of any illness or the killing of bacteria or viruses, it's the reaction of the H2O2 with the wax in the ear canal yielding O2 (bubbles), H2O water, and softened wax or wax in solution with the water. H2O2 applied in the ear of anyone with wax in their ear (regardless whether they are sick or not) will result in bubbling due to the reaction of the H2O2 with the wax...etc. It is not indicative of the H2O2 working on any bacterial or viral infection, it just shows you have wax in your ears! :D

In most cases, experimenting with H2O2 in ones ear won't hurt you, other than maybe drying out the skin in your ear canal, but if someone has any perforation of their tympanic membrane (ear drum), they could do further harm by pouring anything in their ear no matter what it is. So be careful before you start trying this at home if you have any medical history w/ your ear canal or tymp. membrane.

Next, Cold & flu effects in ones throat & chest could not possibly be affected by administration of H2O2 to the ear. Unless one does have a perforated tympanic membrane (most of you should not), no solution/drops applied to the external ear canal would pass the tympanic membrane to get into the middle ear or eustachian tube to the sinuses or anywhere else, so unless the virus or bacteria that one is infected with is only present outside the tympanic membrane, H2O2 applied into the ear would have no systemic effects, no effects outside the external ear canal.

Next, even if there was no tympanic membrane, the H2O2 into the external ear would react and turn to water and oxygen before it made it far down the eustachian tube into the sinuses, but again, this speculation is pointless since the tympanic membrane IS there to block the passage into the ear. This is why when we have patients with middle ear infections (otitis media), we treat them with oral antibiotics, usually amoxicillin, 2nd generation cephalosporin such as cefuroxime, or trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, not with drops into the outer ear, because that is ineffective in all but localized external ear (otitis externa) infections like swimmers ear, which is usually due to Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Cold & flu infections are not external ear infections.

According to Dr. Simmons, contrary to what you may think or have been taught about how you catch the flu or the cold there is only one way that you can catch the two, and that's via the ear canal not through the eyes or nose or mouth as most have believed.
The idea of cold & flu bacteria & viruses only infecting you through your ears is simply incorrect... Nose & mouth.

If someone has "tubes in their ears", hydrogen peroxide has been used as prophalaxys to keep the tubes opened if they become chronically blocked (blocked tympanostomy), as an option instead of removing and reinserting new tubes. Other than this and the usual removal of hardened ear wax, H2O2 poured in the ears is pretty much useless. If it makes one's cold or flu feel better, then go for it (placebo), but there is no medical reasoning for it.
Brad

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I don't know about the science behind it (if any).....I started to get a cold about a week ago (I have a 4 year old, he brings everything home from pre-k)I had not read this thread (so I wasn't biased)I started using HP and it actually kept my cold from developing. I usually get 3 or more colds per year plus all my sinus and allergy problems, plus I live in So. FL (humid) which plays havoc with any type of allergy so I go through a lot of medicine and doctors an MD buddy said he'd heard about it......I tried it and damn it, it worked, also gets rid of bad breath, gingivitis, sore gums, canker sores I know this sounds like real snake oil, but man it really worked and I wasn't expecting it to. (no placebo)

majorloser

majorloser

Need Something a Little Stronger?

RJ, if the 50% H2O2 don't work I've always got tons nastier things to help clean out the ol' ears?

98% H2SO4, 50% NaOH, 23% H2SiF6, Cl2 (gaseous), NH3 (anhydrous), O3, O2 (cryogenic), ferric sulfate, alluminum sulfate, etc.

All the fun chemicals used to treat your friendly neighborhood tap water :eek:

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
majorloser said:
RJ, if the 50% H2O2 don't work I've always got tons nastier things to help clean out the ol' ears?

98% H2SO4, 50% NaOH, 23% H2SiF6, Cl2 (gaseous), NH3 (anhydrous), O3, O2 (cryogenic), ferric sulfate, alluminum sulfate, etc.

Take your weak chemicals and step off!!

The grand daddy of them all, just two little letters - HF

I get to play with it all day.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!!

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
A primer of that old elixer Hot Toddy, finished off with a stiff and generous Greater Manhattan. I feel better already.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
mtrycrafts said:
I discovered that some relatives use homeopathic stuff :mad: Their evidence? Everyone uses it and it works for them. Doctor friends want to introduce it at a clinic, even though they know it has nothing in it but water or alcohol. How does it work then?
Maybe it doesn't need to. The placebo effect, as you of all people know, is very powerful.

I remember reading/hearing (whatever) a long time ago that doctors tend to believe that an overwhelming majority of ills can be overcome by the power of the mind. Now I'm not saying that that's true - it's what I heard - but doesn't the immune system suffer when people are 'down' and improve with increased 'feel-good' factor? If so, then is it really such a stretch of the imagination to consider that homeopathic 'medicine' may actually work, even if in a physical sense it's doing absolutely nothing? Wasted money well spent if you will. :D

majorloser said:

They say that the water you drink in London has already been through 7 people. :eek:

Gross. :(

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
mtrycrafts said:
That is not evidence? Why would we accept this when we ask for evidence in audio differences, not just trying it and being biased?
Perhaps there is better evidence for this than ' I tried it and it works.'
Sounds like an infomercial:D
Or some of my relatives about homeopathic stuff.
Excellent point. I'm all against snake oil - expensive snake oil. I don't disagree this remedy doesn't fall into the bounds of a magical cure. All I'm saying is this works for me, and only works on the onset of a cold. If a sore throat kicks in without sinus issues and gargling can't get down far enough into the throat, there's a good chance it won't do anything. It's .50 cents a bottle, and many have it around the house for cuts and bruises. 3% solution won't harm you unless you drink it, or have ear canal issues. If you do feel a cold or flu coming on, try it. If it doesn't work, what have you lost? If you think taking vitamin C or zinc pills works better, go for it. If you avoid shaking hands, children, or people in general, then you probably don't get sick in the first place.

I work outdoors, and have three small kids who bring home quite a few colds. I was on the Sudafed, Cold eze, vitamin C, and zinc kick but nothing worked - just masked the problem. This worked the first time, and probably 90% of the time thereafter. If it's a placebo effect - which it could be, doesn't matter to me, it's one heck of a placebo. If it's b.s., I've got to believe my wife who's got her masters in biology and works in a hospital isn't sharing this quack method with any of the docs around her. But she uses it as well, and we don't keep cold medicine in the cupboards anymore. You can't walk around keeping your nose and mouth closed all the time, but you can prevent a cold from multiplying once it sets up by gargling, or a few drops in your ears if that's the route the cold has taken.

So to all the mtrycrafts out there who need papers to prove something works, just ignore this remedy. I'm not doubting the science behind the tests. And I'm not making any money on the sale of a .49 cent bottle of an oxidizing agent/disinfectant with bleaching properties. I bet a few of you are paying $3 - $4 a bottle for funny colored mouthwash.

H2O2 bubbles (releases oxygen) when introduced to bacteria or fungus. Try some in the bathroom drain, or on your hand, or on the counter, or on your toothbrush. Hospitals use it in sterlising equipment, and dentists use it when performing root canals.

The purpose of this thread was to give an alternative to masking a cold with OTC drugs if you didn't prevent it by washing your hands, avoiding a sneezing kid in your face, etc... It's cold and flu season, so if you're out of idea, try it. If it doesn't work, report back as snake oil. I'll even reimburse the money your out by trying it.

Last edited:
masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Take it easy Buck...i know this would come anyway so i'm not that surprised. Being in a forum full of smart, critical and sometimes cynical members you gotta expect this gonna come. Anyway, I agree totally with you that eventhough there's no real paper to prove any of the thing you said in your first post, it's hard for me to see why some folks are so hard on the issue. It's .99 in my area for a big bottle of it. Don;t compare it to Bose equivalent stuff. If you find it hard to spend .45-.99 and think it's a waste of your money, i'll help Buck refund your money (receipt of purchase required:cool: ).

majorloser

majorloser

alandamp said:
The grand daddy of them all, just two little letters - HF
Hydrofluoric acid and hydrofluorosilicic (H2SiF6) are basically the same thing. We use them both to add fluoride to water. And YES, it is one of the nastiest. Eats through glass. I hate fluoride! :mad:

But Cl2 is considered a "weapon of mass destruction". Mustard gas ring a bell? Take a sniff of the ammonia gas to open up the nasal passages, then a good snort of chlorine gas to clean out the snot and then hit the vent on the LOX tank for a little "cool" O2 to get the heart rate back down. That's how to start a good day at work. ;)

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
I dislike acronyms in posts at the best of times, mostly because some of them are so long as to be incomprehensible unless your occupation is in cryptology, but Buckeyefan, an acronym for your location?!

Where on earth is TBDBITL? :eek:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Buckle-meister said:
I dislike acronyms in posts at the best of times, mostly because some of them are so long as to be incomprehensible unless your occupation is in cryptology, but Buckeyefan, an acronym for your location?!

Where on earth is TBDBITL? :eek:
It means "The Best Damn Band In The Land"

Having nothing to do with location, but its Ohio.

SheepStar

majorloser

majorloser

Buckle-meister said:
I dislike acronyms in posts at the best of times, mostly because some of them are so long as to be incomprehensible unless your occupation is in cryptology
It's just chemistry :p

What if it was the chemical formula for single malt? CH3CH2OH

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Sheep said:
There isn't any evidence that is clear cut for either way, yet you've already made up your mind.
Biased?
SheepStar

Actually, the only proof that is needed is that this method works. Since there is none, it doesn't. Biased? Try not to be. I look for the evidence. No evidence, it doesn't work. And, I can change my mind when the evidence changes. Anecdotes are not evidence, especially when there is zero control.

Feeling good can be explained away, placebo. Or, as you indicated, it was winding down.

I had the cold on my vacation. Nose ran like crazy, for two days. It stopped and I felt better and it cleared up, all by itself; no airborne, no ear drops, no nothing. Perhaps that is my evidence? ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis