Circuit City Liquidates Remaining Stores

jinjuku

jinjuku

My vote for biggest doofus in 2009

My vote for biggest doofus in 2009: Robert Mackley(sp?)

Check out this youtube video about the 'liquidation' pricing at Circuit City. It's the 1:10 mark in the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

murl

Full Audioholic
Yeah I was looking for a samsung bdp-s550 and they were $359 after the discount. That is $30 more than Best buy, $60 more than what HH Gregg offered it to me for, and $80 less than I can buy it online shipped to my door.....

M

murl

Full Audioholic
When I was in Best Buy last night checking out the open box stuff and prices, my friend and I, who is another member on this forum, came across the Blu Ray section and they have those tags, "Without an HDMI cable this is just a regular DVD player." It really pissed him off and when the guy came over to see if we needed any help, my friend said that the sign you guys have is not correct. The salesman said oh no without an HDMI this is a regular dvd player, and my friend said what about component video? He said look man a component video can't pass a 1080 signal period, "I have been to Monsters training programs." So we ended up in this big hooplah about cables, and I think everyone left pissed. Why don't they just tell the truth and be honest with consumers? I couldn't lie like that if I worked in a place like that, I would lose sleep at night. To finish up this long story while I was in Circuit City, after Best Buy, the same thing was going on and a lady was trying to buy a cheap upconversion dvd player and he was trying to sale her on the HDMI cable. Being the Ahole that I am I walked over and said, "Monoprice.com you can buy the same cable online for $6, or you could go with an even cheaper one since you only have a 720P TV."

Some people may think it is wrong of me but I just hate seeing people really ge the shaft....

V

Vart

Audioholic
I bought a laptop from CC last summer. I got an offer in the mail today from CC to buy a 3 year CC protection plan for it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to jump all over this offer...:rolleyes:

D

Deepwater

Enthusiast
Was at Circuit City looking at the "Open Box" deals. I did not see any pricing so I asked an employee and you believe he told me it was the same price as the unopened product. Now before the going out business sale you could always get "open box" products there for 25-40% off. Heck, I bought a KEF 3001ht system for $236.00 a month ago

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Was at Circuit City looking at the "Open Box" deals. I did not see any pricing so I asked an employee and you believe he told me it was the same price as the unopened product. Now before the going out business sale you could always get "open box" products there for 25-40% off. Heck, I bought a KEF 3001ht system for $236.00 a month ago
They are discounting whatever computers they have left:D I looked and it is the cheapest compared to others on the net. But, that is about all that I see cheaper.:eek:

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
for 236? for the full KEF3005 series?

That's highway robbery. I may have to sick the feds on you!:mad:

hehe. Good score.

I got my 2001.2 for 40 each lol. So I guess I shouldn't bark too loudly.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
When I was in Best Buy last night checking out the open box stuff and prices, my friend and I, who is another member on this forum, came across the Blu Ray section and they have those tags, "Without an HDMI cable this is just a regular DVD player." It really pissed him off and when the guy came over to see if we needed any help, my friend said that the sign you guys have is not correct. The salesman said oh no without an HDMI this is a regular dvd player, and my friend said what about component video? He said look man a component video can't pass a 1080 signal period, "I have been to Monsters training programs." So we ended up in this big hooplah about cables, and I think everyone left pissed. Why don't they just tell the truth and be honest with consumers? I couldn't lie like that if I worked in a place like that, I would lose sleep at night. To finish up this long story while I was in Circuit City, after Best Buy, the same thing was going on and a lady was trying to buy a cheap upconversion dvd player and he was trying to sale her on the HDMI cable. Being the Ahole that I am I walked over and said, "Monoprice.com you can buy the same cable online for $6, or you could go with an even cheaper one since you only have a 720P TV."

Some people may think it is wrong of me but I just hate seeing people really ge the shaft....
LOL that's hilarious. But so untrue.

To be honest though. the cables are the stores source of profits.

Although I imagine Blu-ray players have some markup. I know cables are nearly pure cash. That's how the sales people get there paychecks. It's easy to sell a 30 dollar cable after a person spends 300.

M

murl

Full Audioholic
LOL that's hilarious. But so untrue.

To be honest though. the cables are the stores source of profits.

Although I imagine Blu-ray players have some markup. I know cables are nearly pure cash. That's how the sales people get there paychecks. It's easy to sell a 30 dollar cable after a person spends 300.
Yep I know, people really get shafted on those cables. I worked at a store and the guy always made them feel like they were getting a good deal selling them a $30 or $40 HDMI. It's a better deal than the box stores but you are just getting a little less of the shaft, like the equivalent of the big man being nice in prison and using vaseline.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I stopped by the local CC again yesterday and they were just starting to bump some discounts up to 40% (from the original 30% on mostly useless stuff and horrendously overpriced cables). It didn't look like they were having much success selling off their crap, probably because the prices are still too high.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Here's my take on CC. I live in AZ and all our stores closed in December. So when they announced they were closing, all the morons and idiots jumped on all the good stuff that was marked up 80% by the liquidators to get 10-20% off. Here was a hint, they still had a TV when the store was at 60-70% off that was still higher priced than the Ultimate Electronics down the street. All their Blurays even at 80% off was higher priced than what I could get online. So I said forget it. Then a day before the store closes, me and the GF had to go to some store next door and I said what the hell and walk in (at this point everything was 80-90% off) and pickings were real slim, when I notice they had the uber high end MonsterCables Component that retailed for 150.00 and 80.00 for 90% off. Now I hate Monster for their business practice, but what the Hell a good price, so I bought two component cables. One 25 footer and one 8 footer of their Ultra700 series for 12.00 and 6.00 and that was the day before they closed. Other than that, nothing worth getting.

C

chili1234

Enthusiast
i went by to see what prices they had on the harmony one. Before they went bankrupt they were $269 after bankrupcy they were marked up to $329 and 10% off. What's even funnier is that you can get these remotes for $179-$189 online.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Looks like CC is being consistent to the end. I cannot recall a company that deserved to fail more.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
I actually found something cheap. The one in Towson, Md had 4 Gig flash drives for 7 dollars each. I bought several.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I actually found something cheap. The one in Towson, Md had 4 Gig flash drives for 7 dollars each. I bought several.
I will have to go by the one near here and see if they have any left.
They had a display computer but it's antenna for wireless was missing and it has to be reformatted after all the stuff they install. The price was not that hot:(

A

Afury8

Audioholic Intern
I went in to the store by where I live and took a look. about the same for this store. I talked to an employee who has been there for a while pretty good guy, well I was looking at the AVR's, they had a denon 889, and a onkyo 806 at about 10% more then you can get them online. he told me to wait till the end of March and everything will be 40-to-50% off. he even wanted to hide one of the recievers for me. he told me that they were still getting trucks from other stores that have already closed.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
A friend's parents made a big mistake at CC. They bought the floor model of a 46" HDTV for about $1700 when it can be had for about $1400 new at Amazon. Ouch. They didn't even get the manual.

M

murl

Full Audioholic
Anyone know what the discount on electronics or receivers to be more specific is?

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
20% off receivers at our local store, just bought one there yesterday.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis