Circuit City Liquidates Remaining Stores

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
I just got back from the Ann Arbor Circuit City. There is a sign on the door that says: No Checks, No Credit Cards, and No RETURNS.

1st off, just say "CASH ONLY":rolleyes:

So I go in to look at floor standing speakers. They have the Klipsch Synergy F-3 at $479 each. Keep in mind that Klipsch list the MSRP at $950/pair on their website. They are $8 HIGHER than MSRP.

So the 'Liquidation' works as such:

10% off electronics
20% off DVD/CD's
30% off furniture

Are they out of their freaking mind?! Cash only sales and only 10% off of stuff that is listed HIGHER than the MSRP? No wonder they are going under.

People are lined up in droves over there.
ya,you're right,it's the same thing here in Sacramento,

not worth the trouble IMO,

I also noticed the employees kind of have a shitty attitude too,

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Interesting, the CC near where I live had several signs up around the store yesterday advertising 36 mo. financing. However, today, none of those signs were anywhere to be seen. Maybe this store is closing down.:eek:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
"Circuit City says it will begin a sale of its merchandise starting Saturday lasting through March 31." Got this from PCworld. Good hunting ;)
Well, I was there today. Not much of a sale. 10% off the TV stock; 20% off of bluray dvds that are already priced rather high.:eek:
Maybe later on if there anything left worth getting. Maybe their Monster Cable:eek: will be really liquidated:D for free;)

majorloser

majorloser

My reports for the one here are pretty much the same story.
No returns, no refunds and all sales are final.

It was supposed to be more crowded than Black Friday.

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
My reports for the one here are pretty much the same story.
No returns, no refunds and all sales are final.

It was supposed to be more crowded than Black Friday.
well,I went to one today,and did'nt see any "must have" deals !

looked like all the same list prices with a 10% discount ! BFD !

M

murl

Full Audioholic
ya,you're right,it's the same thing here in Sacramento,

not worth the trouble IMO,

I also noticed the employees kind of have a shitty attitude too,
I would say it's like that across the board. I visited the one in Rivergate, TN looking for a blu ray player and there certainly weren't any deals there. They had the 10/20/30% just like the other stores described. There was an open box sony blu ray 550 for 339 but they wouldn't give me 10% off saying that it was already discounted.

As for the employees having a bad attitude, I would probably be the same way. If I had just lost my job I probably wouldn't be all that thrilled to help the customers either.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
As for the employees having a bad attitude, I would probably be the same way. If I had just lost my job I probably wouldn't be all that thrilled to help the customers either.
I totally understand that. In all honesty, I'd probably act that way, too.

I'd like to offer some food for thought for any CC employees that might be reading this, though. It might serve you well to be upbeat and do your job the best that you can while you're still there. Why?

First, a sense of pride that you did a good job for the money that you're still being paid.

Second, you never know who might see or interact with you there - it might be somebody who works at some place that you are trying to get a job next. You don't want the person that is interviewing you to be the same person that you blew off or were a dillweed to at your old job.

M

murl

Full Audioholic
I totally understand that. In all honesty, I'd probably act that way, too.

I'd like to offer some food for thought for any CC employees that might be reading this, though. It might serve you well to be upbeat and do your job the best that you can while you're still there. Why?

First, a sense of pride that you did a good job for the money that you're still being paid.

Second, you never know who might see or interact with you there - it might be somebody who works at some place that you are trying to get a job next. You don't want the person that is interviewing you to be the same person that you blew off or were a dillweed to at your old job.

There is some truth to this, every single job I have had has been by word of mouth. I met business owners or people that knew them usually while I was at work or someone else that knew me would recommend me.

E

efzauner

Enthusiast
Circuit City Stores Inc., the nation's second-biggest consumer electronics retailer, said Friday it had run out of options and will be forced to liquidate its 567 U.S. stores. The closures could send another 30,000 people into the ranks of the unemployed. The company had been seeking a buyer or a deal to refinance its debt, but the hobbled credit market and consumer worries proved insurmountable. And bleak holiday sales results further weakened even the stronger retailers.

Discuss "Circuit City Liquidates Remaining Stores" here. Read the article.
wait a minute..... 600 stores.. 30,000 Employees? something is amis here. that is 50 employees per store. Seems rather implausible!!! I had a consumer electronics store and we had 3 employees. 1.2M business with 3000sq feet space. . either CC was groossly inefficient or the employee numbers are all wrong

V

Vart

Audioholic
wait a minute..... 600 stores.. 30,000 Employees? something is amis here. that is 50 employees per store. Seems rather implausible!!! I had a consumer electronics store and we had 3 employees. 1.2M business with 3000sq feet space. . either CC was groossly inefficient or the employee numbers are all wrong
That 30000 probably includes the people at corporate, truck drivers, warehouse workers, etc.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Stopped by the store on Merritt Island today. Like others mentioned ten percent off of PS#3 and televisions. Didn't notice any difference in employees attitudes. They could not be more inept anyway.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Stopped by the local one here because we were in the area. Looked at CDs since they were 20% off and quickly realized they had all been condensed and not at all organized so I gave up on trying to find anything I might have wanted to buy.

I

insomniac2587

Audiophyte
Yikes... can't say I didn't see this coming though.

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
It sounds about right, I know my BB store employs nearly 100 people, but that includes part-time, full-time, managers, etc. What they don't say is that we have several part time people that work simply 1-2 shifts a month, but they are still on the books. Also, like the others said, includes corporate, warehouses, etc.

Mike

PS If the CC in my area does anywhere near the business we did, and it is very likely since we have 3 major universities within 15 mins, they are about a 35k sq ft. store and do more than that a week during the holidays.

G

gbenfield

Freelance Reviewer
I went in the local store here in Charleston and on Saturday they had a few items on "sale". Then today my wife went in and said the whole store is going for 10% off their normal price.... nothing to get all excited about. Most likely can find better deals other places on the internet if you search.

Guess that 50" plasma will have to wait!

W

westcott

Audioholic General
This is not terribly surprising, given their past efforts to save money by firing their long term employees and then rehiring some of them at reduced pay. Once they pulled that on their workers, I decided to never buy from them again. I say, good riddance to them. No one who treats workers like that deserves to stay in business.
I agree. Nothing but bad service and untrained staff, for the most part. All they knew how to do was try to sell you Monster Cables and surge protectors.

Good ridance.

I do not see many retail outlets staying in business. Just too much overhead to compete with on line sales.

And I agree with some of the things said by others about the economy. I too predict this year and maybe next to be the worst depression years that most of us will see in our lifetime.

Save those nickels and dimes, boys and girls, it is going to be one hellva bumpy ride!!!!!!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis