"Cheapest" Native 4k projectors?

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Looking at upgrading my ~6 year old Epson Projector. I want to get into something that is 4k. Looking around, Sony and JVC seem to be the top choices. What is the "entry" point (price wise) for a good 4k Projector? 110" screen from ~9-14' viewing distance if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

}Fear_Inoculum{

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Looking at upgrading my ~6 year old Epson Projector. I want to get into something that is 4k. Looking around, Sony and JVC seem to be the top choices. What is the "entry" point (price wise) for a good 4k Projector? 110" screen from ~9-14' viewing distance if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

}Fear_Inoculum{
If it's Native 4k and not Eshift then JVC and Sony are about as cheap as your going to get I'm afraid for a true native 4k projector. Lot of good budget e shift ones tho.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
If it's Native 4k and not Eshift then JVC and Sony are about as cheap as your going to get I'm afraid for a true native 4k projector. Lot of good budget e shift ones tho.
Yeah, that's what I'm looking at. Pretty steep entry point for true native 4K. The JVC LXN-Z3 (which seems to be the cheapest true 4K), is 5,000$ plus tax. That's more than double what I paid for my current Epson 1080p projector ~6 years ago.

Guess that's what I'm looking at.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Yeah, that's what I'm looking at. Pretty steep entry point for true native 4K. The JVC LXN-Z3 (which seems to be the cheapest true 4K), is 5,000$ plus tax. That's more than double what I paid for my current Epson 1080p projector ~6 years ago.

Guess that's what I'm looking at.
the NZ3 isn't Native 4k. It's a laser e-shift projector. Laser is the way to go if you can afford it. The cheapest native 4k projector is going to the be the Sony 295. You can find them between $4500-$5k. Sony and JVC hold the consumer market for native 4k projectors. There are other companies that sell native 4k projectors but they are way out of 95% of peoples price point.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
the NZ3 isn't Native 4k. It's a laser e-shift projector. Laser is the way to go if you can afford it. The cheapest native 4k projector is going to the be the Sony 295. You can find them between $4500-$5k. Sony and JVC hold the consumer market for native 4k projectors. There are other companies that sell native 4k projectors but they are way out of 95% of peoples price point.
Shite. I just looked again. Thought the NZ3 was native 4K. So then it's the Sony 295 or the NX5. Ouch. That's a lot of Canadian Pesos. ~7200$ with tax for the Sony, and just under 9k for the JVC with tax.

Though I can probably get the Sony for a little cheaper than that at the AV store I've been getting my speakers from.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Shite. I just looked again. Thought the NZ3 was native 4K. So then it's the Sony 295 or the NX5. Ouch. That's a lot of Canadian Pesos. ~7200$ with tax for the Sony, and just under 9k for the JVC with tax.

Though I can probably get the Sony for a little cheaper than that at the AV store I've been getting my speakers from.
you should just drive down to the US and buy it. Can you do that?

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
you should just drive down to the US and buy it. Can you do that?
Not easily. I live on an Island. So it's 40 minutes to the ferry. 1.5 hour ferry ride. 1 hour drive to the border. Then maybe Bellingham Washington might have a store, that's another ~1 hr drive. If not, it's probably down to Seattle, which is a 2.5~3 hr drive. So that's a minimum of 8, possibly 12 hrs, of driving and a 200$ ferry bill plus gas.

Then I'd have to try to smuggle it back across the border, or get hit with duty and taxes.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Not easily. I live on an Island. So it's 40 minutes to the ferry. 1.5 hour ferry ride. 1 hour drive to the border. Then maybe Bellingham Washington might have a store, that's another ~1 hr drive. If not, it's probably down to Seattle, which is a 2.5~3 hr drive. So that's a minimum of 8, possibly 12 hrs, of driving and a 200$ ferry bill plus gas.

Then I'd have to try to smuggle it back across the border, or get hit with duty and taxes.
Damn sorry to hear that bro I have the espon 6500 I just couldn't go with the asking prices on the Sony and JVC. Love it I think for a lot of people a good eshift that's good quality is more then enough. But it just has to be well done. But still the best eshift are still way cheaper then I believe even entry level to true 5k projectors

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Penalties for living in paradise?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

Sounds like a nice place.

you should look into the Epson 6050. Considered the best Faux K projector on the market. Ranked at the top on many, many lists.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I used to own the NX5. Sold to somebody around here in this thread. :D :D

IMO, Native 4K is more about bragging rights. Just like 8K-eShift is more about bragging rights.

i think the beautiful picture has more to do with the projector and technology than the Native 4K part.

You have ask yourself the question:

Oops. Wrong quote. :D

You gotta ask yourself the question:

Dammit. Butter finger. :D

You gotta ask yourself the question:
Am I a videophile or just someone who loves a beautiful picture? :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I purchased the JVC NX5 from somebody around here on this thread :p

I will say that to me it was a no brainer of a purchase. I went from 1080p to 4k. So big upgrade in overall picture quality. I'm loving every minute of it. Movies look amazing. TV shows and streaming look even better. I went with a 4k projector before I even own a 4k TV. Haha. I will be investing in a new 4k TV later this year.

If you already have a great e-shift projector the improvements won't be as significant as going from 1080p to 4k. Those e-shifts are getting really, really good.

I think think the native 4k projector market is getting better, price wise. They are coming down slowly. Covid didn't help things, but I believe in a few years we'll get native 4k's starting at $4k. Which I don't think is a bad price at all. Personally, when you start paying over $10k for a projector the ROI starts to diminish. You are paying thousands for Lumens when everything else is basically the same. Then it's just brand name you're paying for.

For me I love a great picture. I also really love sound. I'm willing to spend money on both to get the quality I'm looking for. But I'm not willing to break the bank for it. Everyone has their price point, mine probably is a little higher than others (on this site) but if you check out other forums, my price point looks like small beans. Some people are willing to spend to the nines on what they consider the best of the best. It's technology, I would never spend to the nines on video technology. Not when it's changing every couple of years.

Nice thing on here are guys like Acu have already purchased all the big name brand stuff and tested it. Can give real world feedback. That's nice to have when trying to make a decision on certain audio/visual products. :D

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
I purchased the JVC NX5 from somebody around here on this thread :p

I will say that to me it was a no brainer of a purchase. I went from 1080p to 4k. So big upgrade in overall picture quality. I'm loving every minute of it. Movies look amazing. TV shows and streaming look even better. I went with a 4k projector before I even own a 4k TV. Haha. I will be investing in a new 4k TV later this year.

If you already have a great e-shift projector the improvements won't be as significant as going from 1080p to 4k. Those e-shifts are getting really, really good.

I think think the native 4k projector market is getting better, price wise. They are coming down slowly. Covid didn't help things, but I believe in a few years we'll get native 4k's starting at $4k. Which I don't think is a bad price at all. Personally, when you start paying over $10k for a projector the ROI starts to diminish. You are paying thousands for Lumens when everything else is basically the same. Then it's just brand name you're paying for.

For me I love a great picture. I also really love sound. I'm willing to spend money on both to get the quality I'm looking for. But I'm not willing to break the bank for it. Everyone has their price point, mine probably is a little higher than others (on this site) but if you check out other forums, my price point looks like small beans. Some people are willing to spend to the nines on what they consider the best of the best. It's technology, I would never spend to the nines on video technology. Not when it's changing every couple of years.

Nice thing on here are guys like Acu have already purchased all the big name brand stuff and tested it. Can give real world feedback. That's nice to have when trying to make a decision on certain audio/visual products. :D
I emailed a place about getting the Espson 6050 projector. They quoted me 4700$ Canadian Pesos. That's well within my budget. Then they sent me another email today saying it's taking months to get the 6050 in stock, and that I should just go with the 5050 as it's "the same as 6050 but you save yourself around a 1000 CAD and lead time to get it." Then they went on to ask if I had a screen and how they could bundle a screen and projector for me blah blah blah.

Think I'll just continue saving my pennies, and see where I am in a couple of months. Have ~3500$ saved right now.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I emailed a place about getting the Espson 6050 projector. They quoted me 4700$ Canadian Pesos. That's well within my budget. Then they sent me another email today saying it's taking months to get the 6050 in stock, and that I should just go with the 5050 as it's "the same as 6050 but you save yourself around a 1000 CAD and lead time to get it." Then they went on to ask if I had a screen and how they could bundle a screen and projector for me blah blah blah.

Think I'll just continue saving my pennies, and see where I am in a couple of months. Have ~3500$ saved right now.
The differences between 6050 and 5050 is that the 6050 has 200k more contrast 1m vs 1.2m. The 6050 also comes with an extra bulb and an additional year on the warranty. Otherwise they are exactly the same. The 5050 is a great projector. If you really wanted a new projector now, I would jump on the 5050.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The differences between 6050 and 5050 is that the 6050 has 200k more contrast 1m vs 1.2m. The 6050 also comes with an extra bulb and an additional year on the warranty. Otherwise they are exactly the same. The 5050 is a great projector. If you really wanted a new projector now, I would jump on the 5050.
Dang I'm at work was going to post the same thing but you beat me too it Lol

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Look at reviews of both to see what the real trade offs are. The spec sheet doesn't tell you the real world picture. No pun intended.

I'd say for the $1k price difference you'd sacrifice a bit of PQ which for the Epson models is usually black levels. The more they cost, the better the black. That or overall brightness.

Basically, figure out if the difference matters to you or not and go from there.

Picture quality is more important than resolution, but HDR is something I'd consider when buying a projector. Good HDR performance, but no native 4k would be fine with me.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Just revisting this thread I made. Ended up getting a refurbished Epson 5050UBe from Epson Canada for about 1600$ less than MSRP, and it still has the 2 year manufacturer warranty. I'm extremely happy with it.
20210708_213617.jpg

Comparison vs the old 8350:
20210708_202745.jpg

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Is that the Epson 8350? If so, i just sold it. Tough market for used projectors.
Yep. I remember that you had one for sale. Glad you were able to sell it. My wife's best friends husband is interested in buying mine off of me. Mind me asking how much you got for yours?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis