gianni.parri

gianni.parri

Audiophyte
Upgrading finally from a 1080p Panasonic Ae8000u to a 4k projector. Trying to keep cost down. Help needed please for a projector, hoping to go 4k, thou have a 2:40 screen, so lens memory would be ideal as i don't want to spend money on a lens.

1.Epson TW9400, thou stll 2k and lamp
2.Sony VW590ES, only 1800lm, and lamp
3.Optoma UHZ65 or ZK507 laser
3.Benq LK990, laser, 16:9 much more $$$

Question is, can the benq16:9 projector be setup to fit a 2:40 screen always, as that's my preferred format...if it runs past my screen, can it be set to black out the top and bottom and not be seen?

What's everyone's thoughts, my eyes arnt what they used time be at 44, needing glasses to see less fuzzyness, LOL, was hoping there was going to be a new Epson Laser released or new Panasonic model this year, but would like a improvement, laser would be nice, but looking at lower cost laser options, thou i then have the 16:9 issue...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Upgrading finally from a 1080p Panasonic Ae8000u to a 4k projector. Trying to keep cost down. Help needed please for a projector, hoping to go 4k, thou have a 2:40 screen, so lens memory would be ideal as i don't want to spend money on a lens.

Question is, can the benq16:9 projector be setup to fit a 2:40 screen always, as that's my preferred format...if it runs past my screen, can it be set to black out the top and bottom and not be seen?

What's everyone's thoughts, my eyes arnt what they used time be at 44, needing glasses to see less fuzzyness, LOL, was hoping there was going to be a new Epson Laser released or new Panasonic model this year, but would like a improvement, laser would be nice, but looking at lower cost laser options, thou i then have the 16:9 issue...

what's your budget?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai

Thats a pretty wide budget range for projectors:

• What room is it going to be in? will there be a lot of natural light
  • What screen size are you planning to show it on
  • Transparent screen (with speakers behind the screen?) or non transparent
  • Have you looked at JVC Projectors as well? solid options in your price range

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think Laser 4K is the future of projectors for 2 reasons: better reliability and longevity.

How long will they last? The laser half-life in 100% power mode is usually ~ 20,000 HR. Economy (~70% power) is usually ~30,000 HR. I know Epson Laser 4K PJ's allow variable power modes from 30% - 100% (not just Economy vs Full). I think 30% ~ 60,000 HR. :D

How Bright do you want? Only you can decide. I was watching "Last of the Mohicans" BD on a 2400 Lumen Projector in full power mode on a 150" screen, and I thought it was way too dark. Yet, on other movies, it was extremely bright.

So for me, I would want something with 5,000+ Lumens just in case I want to watch movies like "Last of the Mohicans".

Black levels/Contrast levels. I think color reproduction is usually straightforward. Most 4K projectors over $4K will look pretty awesome in terms of colors. But black levels/contrast may vary more than colors. So the consumers have to examine/watch videos on the projectors and see for themselves if the black levels are awesome.

And then you have features like Lens Memory and Power Lens vs Manual Lens. After owning both manual and power lens PJ, there is no doubt I will always want power lens.

So I think you have to prioritize the importance of these factors.

1. Reliability and longevity
2. Brightness
3. Black levels/Contrast
4. Power Lens/Memory Lens vs Manual Lens

Of course, the problem is COST. :D

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord

The AE8000 was a $3,000 projector that ran near top of the line when it was released and competed directly with Epson's top of the line models at the time. The most direct comparable product right now would be the Epson 5050. It's also, most likely, one of the best replacement products. But, I would get the Sony. LCoS simply delivers black levels which other technologies just can't reach. Not from DLP for sure and their current iteration of chips. It is so bad that Texas Instruments is releasing a larger 1080p pixel shifter to hopefully get greater contrast.

But, the Sony will give the best contrast of the bunch and is the most ideal for a dedicated quality theater space IMO.
The Epson is the best for a slightly larger screen size or in a room that isn't quite as ideal of a theater space.
The other two are perfectly fine, and I'd probably get the UHZ over the BenQ, but wouldn't really get either. I'd just wait until JVC delivered on their laser LCoS models.
I don't believe either have a powered zoom/focus/lens shift setup the way the Epson and I believe the Sony does. You really need that functionality to go from 2.40 to 1.78 viewing in any theater if you don't have an A-lens.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis