CEDIA 2004 EXPO Coverage OFFICIAL THREAD

N

Nevo

hawke said:
Regarding Denon 3rd Link. There is still an ongoing issue and the crux of the matter is that the SACD spec states that SACD can only be transmitted over IEEE 1394. Well, while all parties (Universal, Sony, etc) are fine with the idea of Denon Link 3rd Edition passing SACD, their are some legal issues (and tie ups) in getting the necessary approval to essentially "violate" a spec.

As such, the hangup is on the DVD player side - not the receivers (the newer models already fully support SACD over Denon Link 3rd). Jeff Talmadge from Denon is preparing a documetn for us that will address this in more detail - but for now SACD will need to go over analogue (or IEEE 1394 if you have a new AVR-5805 or other receiver with support for IEEE 1394).
Fer cryin' out loud, propose a new standard: SACDoDL (SACD over Denon Link) and get it rubberstamped by the necessary parties!

(Yeah, I wish.)

J

Justin W

Audiophyte
I came across this thread maybe 2 weeks back and have been checking back for new product info...

Nothing for JL Audio was posted... I know there was a couple people looking for info... and of course they may be new to anyone not familiar with the enthusiast car audio market.

At any rate, I came across this brochure today. I am pretty sure these were handed out at their booth at CEDIA.

FYI - pricing for the Gotham is reportedly in the $5000-7000 range...

Page 1 JL brochure
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8
Page 9

annunaki

annunaki

Thanks Justin W for the links. You are a member on the carsound and sounddomain forums, are you not?

I would assume those subs (besides the Gotham) will all retail in the minimum of $1,500.00 + range

I thought that JL would do a couple of lower priced subs as well. Perhaps using the W6v2 driver platform, as well as the yet to be released w3v3 platform?

J

Justin W

Audiophyte
annunaki said:
Thanks Justin W for the links. You are a member on the carsound and sounddomain forums, are you not?

I would assume those subs (besides the Gotham) will all retail in the minimum of $1,500.00 + range

I thought that JL would do a couple of lower priced subs as well. Perhaps using the W6v2 driver platform, as well as the yet to be released w3v3 platform?
That is correct... I am a member of most of the "better" ;) car audio forums.

Last year, when JL announced their entrance into home audio products (and their recruitment of the M&K General Manager), they pegged a price range of $1500-$5000 on the products. At that time there was really no hint at what exactly they planned to bring to the market.

But, I saw on another HT-forum (actually a sub-forum of a car audio forum) where someone had been at JL's CEDIA booth and mentioned that the Gotham was actually priced at $7500.

I'd be a little suprised to see much down in the $1500 range from the products shown thus far. Figure that the 13W7 and 12W7 are $950 and $750 MSRP for the raw car audio driver alone. And JL charges $550 & $1000 for their 500W & 1000W 12V amplifiers. Add in the cabinet and factor of the often higher-priced home market and I'd have to wonder if anything with the W7-based driver to be in that $1500 price range.

I'm guessing too that JL will offer lower-tier products based on, as you say, W6v2 and/or W3v3 (& W1v2?) technologies.
Possibly at CES, where JL always has a large showing of new products.

I'd expect these products to hit that price range... it would certainly be nice to see them come down even more. There was also some disappointment shown on the other forum that there were no full-range units, towers (with 10W7's was mentioned by one person) or passive subwoofers offered.

JL is probably just getting their toes wet... if the water isn't too cold, I'd expect them to dive in head first before too long.

But... with everything time will tell.

Last edited:
annunaki

annunaki

I agree. If the high end market accepts them well. Entering into the midlle markets would be much easier. The "trickle down" effect also helps on the retail end of thing for their products also. As always, it seems as though JL is following their "do it right or don't do it at all" philosophy. Upper end full range units would have been a welcome sight in addition to what appears to be, industry flagship subwoofers.

Justin W said:
At any rate, I came across this brochure today. I am pretty sure these were handed out at their booth at CEDIA.
Thanks for posting this! We had wanted to meet with them, but couldn't make it to their off-site release event. Next year, we're scheduling about half as many meetings, taking twice as many people (again) and we'll see if we can hit more stuff... We're still posting by the way...

J

Justin W

Audiophyte
hawke said:
Thanks for posting this! We had wanted to meet with them, but couldn't make it to their off-site release event. Next year, we're scheduling about half as many meetings, taking twice as many people (again) and we'll see if we can hit more stuff... We're still posting by the way...

No problem...

For those interested, there is now more information on JL's site:
www.jlaudio.com

J

Justin W

Audiophyte
annunaki said:
Pricing was released by Manville Smith (JL's VP of Marketing) on Carsound's forum the other day:

Gotham *213 (twin 13.5-inch drivers with a 3.8 kW amplifier) - $7500 retail.
Fathom f113 (single 13.5-inch driver with a 2.5 kW amplifier) - $3000 retail (gloss black) or $2800 (matte black).
Fathom f112 (single 12-inch driver with a 1.5 kW amplifier) $2400 retail (gloss black), $2200 retail (matte black).
He went on to mention:

These products are only the tip of the iceberg for our home theater line. Over the coming years, the line will expand significantly and include full-range products as well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis