Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Do some research. late 60's Chevrolet swapped out the 396 for a 402ci (6.6-liter V8) engine while retaining horsepower and the SS396 (emblem 396) model designation. Also released (mid-year) was a new top-of-the-line engine, the massive 454 big block (7.4 liter V8), available in LS5 and LS6 versions, producing 360 and 450 hp respectively. Equipped with this engine and compatible 400 trans and 12 bolt rear-end combo, the sedan pickup managed a 1/4 mile time of 13.44 seconds - at a speed of 108.17 mph. A few guys are restomoding, the 69 and 70's models with LS3's, and RoadsterShop chassis. Sweet ride and all the benefits of a modern vehicle plus easy to maintain, and if you want more power, bigger throttle body, or add a supercharger along with rods and pistions and different cam.. .
Good points Chris, and to that what is interesting was the Corporate 'mandate' at the time that said no engine in excess of 400ci was to be put in a mid-size or smaller car, with the exception of the Corvette. It is widely believed that the majority of 396's were in fact 402's ?

Also, with respect to the 454, while the LS6 could be had in a SS Chevelle in '70 the biggest offering in the Corvette was the LS5. To the best of my knowledge the only year when Chevy did not put its 'top motor' in the Corvette. It was offered in '71 but by then HP #'s were in decline thanks to lower compression, cam profiles, etc. Can you say , 'Thank you Gov't mandates' !!

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Good points Chris, and to that what is interesting was the Corporate 'mandate' at the time that said no engine in excess of 400ci was to be put in a mid-size or smaller car, with the exception of the Corvette. It is widely believed that the majority of 396's were in fact 402's ?

Also, with respect to the 454, while the LS6 could be had in a SS Chevelle in '70 the biggest offering in the Corvette was the LS5. To the best of my knowledge the only year when Chevy did not put its 'top motor' in the Corvette. It was offered in '71 but by then HP #'s were in decline thanks to lower compression, cam profiles, etc. Can you say , 'Thank you Gov't mandates' !!
Govt smog mandates made awesome cars, lookers instead of performance.

ben_

ben_

Junior Audioholic
Look at Australian "Utes" if you want to see what could have become of the El Camino. A missed opportunity in the US, IMO.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I think el caminos are cool and we’re kinda popular. Imo the problem with them, and rancheros was they were too light duty for a real payload, and like all trucks, there’s not enough weight over the back tires. So if you put too much muscle under the hood, all you do is smoke the tires when trying to go really fast. Can’t spank any mustangs if you’re sitting at the lights boiling the tires! Lol
But who is racing a restored Camino? Kids? I never see anyone anywhere racing. A track maybe, but anything labeled classic I just don't see being used. A little rpm on the highway maybe but overall the days of street racing are long gone. At least what I can see.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
But who is racing a restored Camino? Kids? I never see anyone anywhere racing. A track maybe, but anything labeled classic I just don't see being used. A little rpm on the highway maybe but overall the days of street racing are long gone. At least what I can see.
other than drag racing(and I've seen several) there is nothing that makes much sense for racing an El Camino or Ranchero for that matter.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
other than drag racing(and I've seen several) there is nothing that makes much sense for racing an El Camino or Ranchero for that matter.
I'm saying it may have made sense back in the day, but who, today, would be using a restored Camino for the purpose of racing? Or anything classic? Therefore it isn't even a consideration. I'm just going yeah a Camino looks really cool.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I'm saying it may have made sense back in the day, but who, today, would be using a restored Camino for the purpose of racing? Or anything classic? Therefore it isn't even a consideration.
Again........Drag racing, something I did a lot of 20 years ago. Here , take a look at but one example.......

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well I don’t think those days are gone necessarily. If you look hard enough you might be surprised. FWIW, I have a ‘69 Camaro. Drive it all the time, and imo that’s the point. One of the reasons why they’re “classics” is because of their performance, and they’re fun as hell to drive. To me it’s a waste to have something like that and idle around all over the place. lol

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
You don't live in the US do you. Drag racing every sat night at most local tracks in our state. Most race the pro street class. Most close to us either go to Gainesville, Jacksonville or to Orlando.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Well I don’t think those days are gone necessarily. If you look hard enough you might be surprised. FWIW, I have a ‘69 Camaro. Drive it all the time, and imo that’s the point. One of the reasons why they’re “classics” is because of their performance, and they’re fun as hell to drive. To me it’s a waste to have something like that and idle around all over the place. lol
But people don't race the classics. It's more like a combo of drive and preserve. They'll be around for years to come.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Again........Drag racing, something I did a lot of 20 years ago. Here , take a look at but one example.......

Souped up via modern components. I'm sure it works, but a classic to me is restored to its original specs. I already know the camaro will kick my ass. Nor was it ever my intent to do heavy racing with it.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
But people don't race the classics. It's more like a combo of drive and preserve. They'll be around for years to come.
IT all depends they have vintage race nights at local drag a few times a QTR as the do in SCCA ( https://www.vintagedrive.com/cars-groups) . Same with bracket race on a weekend at a local drag strip. I used to drive my 69 Z28. I would drive it to the track and drive it home. Vintage sports cars, talk about $$$ in value and these guys race em all over the country in meets. If its a true collector, its all up to the owner, some owners, love to drive their cars, instead of having as we call it, trailer queens. T

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
IT all depends they have vintage race nights at local drag a few times a QTR as the do in SCCA ( https://www.vintagedrive.com/cars-groups) . Same with bracket race on a weekend at a local drag strip. I used to drive my 69 Z28. I would drive it to the track and drive it home. Vintage sports cars, talk about $$$ in value and these guys race em all over the country in meets. If its a true collector, its all up to the owner, some owners, love to drive their cars, instead of having as we call it, trailer queens. T
If I owned my ideal, a '67-71 Mustang, yeah I don't wanna be afraid to drive it but am not bringing it to the track. Drive. Enjoy. But not beat the sh-t outta it. I'm trying to enjoy it for a lifetime.

Looks to me like what you're referring to is soft racing. Nothing wrong with that.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
You don't live in the US do you. Drag racing every sat night at most local tracks in our state. Most race the pro street class. Most close to us either go to Gainesville, Jacksonville or to Orlando.
and in your neck of the woods I'll add Bradenton Dragway to the mix.

My home track is Maple Grove, though I've raced a lot over the years at Cecil County and Atco. Sadly Atco closed this summer, a lot of Super Stock records set there over the years, sea level track with good air.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
'58 Olds Super 88. Especially the back sides. Huge looking!
1696084563594.png

Not a big engine but still think the '65 has the look down.
1696084746204.png

LOL yes that is an umbrella on top.
1696084887532.png

Still think the '78ish has the best look
1696085323059.png

Much prefer the 60s Thunderbird to the 50s. This one is a '66. Aerodynamic, and the convertible down looks the best IMO.
1696085903025.png

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Couple few others a little bit off the mainstream...
69 Riviera
1696087065581.png

70 Mercury Cougar Eliminator. Battery is in the trunk LOL
1696087176094.png

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
View attachment 63582
View attachment 63583
View attachment 63584
View attachment 63586
Much prefer the 60s Thunderbird to the 50s. This one is a '66. Aerodynamic, and the convertible down looks the best IMO.
View attachment 63590
Love the '58 Olds, we had one at our local car show today, a real beauty, dummy me left my cell phone at home so I didn't get a pic. Hopefully next week at the 'All Oldsmobile' show !

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Love the '58 Olds, we had one at our local car show today, a real beauty, dummy me left my cell phone at home so I didn't get a pic. Hopefully next week at the 'All Oldsmobile' show !
The bright side is your phone is still yours, not a pickpocket's. :D

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
View attachment 63582
View attachment 63583
View attachment 63584
View attachment 63586
View attachment 63590
That Trans Am with the T top like from Smokey and the Bandit is killer. Love the old T-birds too. The remake they came out with a few years ago looks cool too but nothing beats the original.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis