Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't been to Elkhart Lake since the eighties, would love to get back once more for either the Indy Car or IMSA weekend
Indy car at Road America have been pretty good. I had a friend take me around the track in his corvette one year. He was a course worker so knew the track very well. That was a lot of fun. :)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I checked Sebring off my bucket list a few years back, having been to VIR, Lime Rock, Elkhart Lake and Watkins Glen I thought Sebring to be a 'dump'. Little to no place to escape the sun and horrible sight lines compared to the others.
True, but the classics run there days before the 12 hrs and its a lot of history at that track.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
True, but the classics run there days before the 12 hrs and its a lot of history at that track.
no doubt Chris and it being 'home' to you as the Glen is for me, that's the reason I enjoy Vintage weekend at the Glen the second weekend in Sept each year. Besides that weekend is also a stop on the Trans Am Series so I get continue what started a long time ago with regards to my passion for road racing.

Watching the closing minutes at VIR now, fingers crossed for team Corvette !!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
William, the Trans Am series is alive and well. I've been to the race at Watkins Glen several times.

Thanks for that. Don’t know what I was thinking lol.
I mentioned pro touring earlier. I forgot to mention what I think might be the car responsible for at least helping the movement.
One of the coolest Camaros ever, Big Red. Very storied car, interesting history with many accomplishments.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Total = crash and damage to an extent that the car can no longer be repaired.
I don't think the 'Dude' meant that, or perhaps he did ?? Not sure he realizes it(chicken and egg thing) but the T/A Racing series came first, the Pontiac T/A followed. Regardless, performance wise a '77 T/A was a turd, only made popular thanks to Burt Reynolds and Sally Field ..........

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think the 'Dude' meant that, or perhaps he did ?? Not sure he realizes it(chicken and egg thing) but the T/A Racing series came first, the Pontiac T/A followed. Regardless, performance wise a '77 T/A was a turd, only made popular thanks to Burt Reynolds and Sally Field ..........
Turd is an understatement! There are some restomods that are pretty badass based on that aged fire chicken T/A. Early second gens are definitely better in all regards though. Imo…

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I thought perhaps you were not familiar with that particular use of the word. The implications being: who would risk destroying a classic car in a race? (as per the reply above) I don't think Dude was being serious about that particular Trans-Am though. :D

You do get the occasional serious racer at some of these classic car events, though. At some of the BRIC events at Road American I've seen the 60's Camaros and Mustangs go at it pretty hard, the Morgans too, and there was one guy in a Jaguar E-type who was pushing the car so hard around the corners that he was lifting one of the front wheels off of the ground! It was glorious to watch. :)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Trans Am series racing. I was referencing the classic car and who the heck would risk crashing that LOL.
Ok, gotcha, I thought for a moment you were thinking 'that' car was an actual race car, not even close.

As for collectable 70's era T/A's that actually hand 'some' performance, make mine a '73 with a SD-455........

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What about the original Firebird T/A? It was clearly just a Camaro with different front/rear facias lol, but still an interesting car. I very much preferred the Camaro.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What about the original Firebird T/A? It was clearly just a Camaro with different front/rear facias lol, but still an interesting car. I very much preferred the Camaro.

Front fenders, doors, and hoods were different too, as well as many interior components. The engines were also unique to the poncho brand. First gen TA’s were pretty cool, but like you, I much prefer the Camaro.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
1st Gen, I agree Camaro but 2nd Gen, it's T/A for me. For one simple fact, Pontiac found loopholes in the Gov't regs, EPA mandates, etc to continue and push the performance envelope further and longer than most anyone else.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

The 69 Trans Ams, a special car. ps: The inaugural Firebird Trans Am released in 1969 got off to a slow start. It was offered as a Trans Am Performance and Appearance Package and cost $725

I remember this car at the 2022 Barrett Jackson auction, its was pretty much perfect, Went for over $100K

Screenshot 2023-08-28 160541.jpg

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The 69 Trans Ams, a special car. ps: The inaugural Firebird Trans Am released in 1969 got off to a slow start. It was offered as a Trans Am Performance and Appearance Package and cost $725

I remember this car at the 2022 Barrett Jackson auction, its was pretty much perfect, Went for over $100K

View attachment 63064
An original 427 Yenko Camaro (rarest, less than 20) went for $600k though, and the average price for just about any Yenko is around $300k. If I won the lottery lol, a Yenko would be one of the first thing's I'd be looking to own :)

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
After seeing these prices, I think my idea of building a kit car sounds better and better. Granted, that's not going to be cheap or soon.

One can dream.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I'm a body person before under the hood, so I like the stingray corvette despite its limitations. Or just mod it. Some of the early ta's look too camaro/gto to me. 2nd gen for me.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
An original 427 Yenko Camaro (rarest, less than 20) went for $600k though, and the average price for just about any Yenko is around $300k. If I won the lottery lol, a Yenko would be one of the first thing's I'd be looking to own :)
Take a look back on my post #223, one about 2 miles from my house in my friends garage. . And yes he knows what he has. But doesn't have any wants to sell it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis