Car modding/projects thread!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
riceaterslc said:
potenza SO3's FTW!
Those have been discontinued, though they are still sold - tough to find my size (205/45/16). They are replaced by the 050 and 01R. I ran S03s on my Type R and they are my favorite street tires so far. I also ran 3 sets of RE750s and surprisingly, they only give up a little bit of grip at the limit to the S-03s, so I think I will go with those again, or I may go for the 050s.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Sheep when your budget allows: adjustable coil overs, adjustable sway bars. That's when the fun begins:D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
stratman said:
Sheep when your budget allows: adjustable coil overs, adjustable sway bars. That's when the fun begins:D
I can get strut tower bars from a friend for 60 each. My car has interior peices above the rear shock towers that pop out. It's perfect!

I probly won't do adjustable coilovers, just new shocks and lowering springs.

SheepStar

R

riceaterslc

Audioholic
j_garcia said:
I ran S03s on my Type R and they are my favorite street tires so far. I also ran 3 sets of RE750s and surprisingly, they only give up a little bit of grip at the limit to the S-03s.
good choice, cause i run the 750's (and 730's) also :), hard to beat for the price. have you tried azenis? i put a set on my wife's car and they only lasted one season (12k), but were pretty inexpensive at the time and had very good grip. i know they have a newer tread pattern now (ran these back in '04) which are a little more expensive, and supposedly a lot better in the rain..

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I'm most likely getting Falken Ziexs for my car.

JG,

Do they make 4x100 Rewinds in Graphite grey? I've only seen Silver's in that size (www.tiretrend.ca)

SheepStar

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sheep said:
I'm most likely getting Falken Ziexs for my car.

JG,

Do they make 4x100 Rewinds in Graphite grey? I've only seen Silver's in that color (www.tiretrend.ca)

SheepStar
Some of the Falkens are decent. I've run a few different ones, but wansn't totally sold on them. Their tread designs are good, but their compounds seem like they could be better IMO.

What is your rim/tire budget? I don't know if they have them in 4x100, I'll have to look around (a friend owns a shop that sells high end rims). If you're looking for cheap and light, the OEM HX rims are only ~9lbs each, though they are only 14s I think. **Edit - according to Konig's website, they come in 15x7 4 lug, which I would guess means 4x100, since 4x114 isn't common. Next question is if they have the right offset.

I have not tried the Azenis yet, but a lot of friends like them. I can't go with softer tires because tires already don't last me that long :D My RE010s that came on the R only lasted about 10K, and the typical tire lasts me about 1yr. regardless.

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
j_garcia said:
Some of the Falkens are decent. I've run a few different ones, but wansn't totally sold on them. Their tread designs are good, but their compounds seem like they could be better IMO.

What is your rim/tire budget? I don't know if they have them in 4x100, I'll have to look around (a friend owns a shop that sells high end rims). If you're looking for cheap and light, the OEM HX rims are only ~9lbs each, though they are only 14s I think. **Edit - according to Konig's website, they come in 15x7 4 lug, which I would guess means 4x100, since 4x114 isn't common. Next question is if they have the right offset.

I have not tried the Azenis yet, but a lot of friends like them. I can't go with softer tires because tires already don't last me that long :D My RE010s that came on the R only lasted about 10K, and the typical tire lasts me about 1yr. regardless.
Well, Graphite Grey Rewinds from Tiretrends (which is local) are 185 a pop. Falken Ziexs are about 65-70 a pop. Add that up. I don't want anything else but the rewinds, and I don't need crazy tires, just ones that hook up.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Curse this snow!

Yesturday, the last snow dumb finished melting. On my way home from work (around 7:45pm), big flakes started falling, and sticking. After about 15 minutes it stopped.

Woke up this morning, looked through the crack in my blinds on my window to see falling dandruff. AKJSHDHGBASUYCVYATSVDIASOJGASDx~!

SO SICK OF SNOW! I have snow here, selling it for cheap, all must go!

Bandit is covered. I've had this car for close to 3 months, and I've only had one day where ALL the roads were dry.

Humbug.

SheepStar

Matt34

Matt34

Here are my plans for "stage II" on my build-up of the Neon.

Side exit exhaust from Maxxfab with 3" O2 housing and Down pipe w/ extra bung for my wideband.

Ksport 36-way adjustable coilovers.

Last but not least a bigger front mounted intercooler from Evilcreations Performance. Dyno proven to add 15hp and 20ft/tq

There will also be some smaller things done to it also like a 180* thermostat, dual stage boost controller, new plugs and wires etc. None of which should set off any CEL codes...hopefully.

Last stage of the build with be the Mopar Stage 3 turbo upgrade which will put me around 350hp with the other mods on 93 octane and roughly 375hp on HOM.

......but that isn't going to happen for awhile.:( ( $3500 for Stage 3 plus another $1000-1200 for installation at the Dodge dealership.)

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Nice man.

Sheep, your car looks like a minivan with all that snow on it...

Header:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Cool. Ok, so mine won't degrade into a rusty POS. Clean up that engine bay man!

Heres a weather update for you.

We got dumped on pretty hard yesturday, then it froze overnight. It's supposed to stop snowing and be clear, but still freeze over the next few nights.

I hope to science there's some snow tires left.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, not real big on cleaning the bay...used to do that, and after countless hours of polishing and detailing and all, some fool hit me and totaled it in a few seconds.... So detailed engine bay is no longer a priority.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
j_garcia said:
Yeah, not real big on cleaning the bay...used to do that, and after countless hours of polishing and detailing and all, some fool hit me and totaled it in a few seconds.... So detailed engine bay is no longer a priority.
You don't have to detail it, just steam clean it and get that loose dirt off. I get mine done at work for free, so thats why mine is nice.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sheep, I don't know if you were around when I originally posted these pics (this accident was MY fault).

Before:

After:

Yes, that was my modified '01 Type R. RIP #1171.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
B18C5? I hope you pulled that and kept it if it was ok.

So, what you're saying, is that because YOU smashed your own car, you're not going clean up some dirt in your engine compartment.... :confused:

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Two different incidents man. Some other fool hit the car that I spent countless hours on. Now I have better things to do.

Yes that was a modified B18C5, but probably not functional. Internals were still good I'm sure, but I was in the hospital, so I couldn't do anything about the car and they gave me enough back for it that it wasn't worth what I was going to have to do to part it out to deal with it at the time.

Matt34

Matt34

I just bought a used AGP waste gate actuator for $100($160 new) which will allow me to hold more boost.

......thanks to Sheep and this thread.:p

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Matt34 said:
I just bought a used AGP waste gate actuator for $100($160 new) which will allow me to hold more boost.

......thanks to Sheep and this thread.:p
Hehehehe.

I bought snow tires. New thermostat is in as well. Car warms up again! Next is a header($400!). Also, I think I might go for the Konig Heliums in bronze.

SheepStar

Matt34

Matt34

Thought this would be appropriate for this thread.

A little history on this guy and his srt-4; he has quit a few videos on streetfire of him beating some high-end cars with his "neon". Even one where he beat a modified "terminator" and a new GT-500. Now, that was on his old setup where he was running around 550hp on race gas.

He gets bored with that setup and decides to turn his car over to the guys at AMS in Chicago around Oct of last year. Well after a couple months rebuilding and tuning they get this. It was running out of fuel around 6800rpm due to the 750cc injectors at the time.
http://media.ams-evo8.com/videos/srt4/Neon772.wmv

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1740803973
...and this is a quick video of it idling when he arrived at AMS last week and picked up the car and drove it all the way back from Chicago to Texas. Yes, he's getting some drag radials put on it but other than that it's going to look stock.;)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Wow, thats a lot of power!

I'd like to Boost, but I need my car to be running. I'd have to build up my boost motor and have it pretty much ready to fire before it dropped in. Plus, I need to save for school...

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis