Car modding/projects thread!

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
STRONGBADF1 said:
Hi Dukester,

I agree, true to a point.:) A GT car is very different than a street/strip drag car though and I would hope handling and everyday reliability is more important than straight line acceleration.:) Bigger tires and some computer controled launch help will go a long way for sure though.

It's not often you read the words "instant center" at an a/v site.:cool: I used to be a inside sales / tech. person at a drag race chassis manufacturer. Do you have any idea how difficult it can be to explain to someone how adding 50lbs of weight to the front of their car could help make the car quicker and/or more consistant...:(

Takes me back,
SBF1
Yeah, I guess I kind of mixed my post up with drag and GT info. My buddy adapted the AMG suspension onto a Porsche that runs in SCCA, I believe. They ran it at one of the 24 hr races and blew everyone away. They were first in their class. The AMG keeps the car flat in the turns;)

Instant center? Yeah, too many intrests/hobbies and not near enough time/funds:( I recently put adjustable upper control arms on the rear of my '70 Monte (the type with the Johnny-joints...no suspension bind for me, thank you!). I can adjust to get the best of both worlds. It's fun coming off the entrance ramps onto the interstate with one of the tuners or even newer muscle cars and either staying right on their tail or leaving them in the wake of my exhaust:D Not many big A-body GMs around here handle like mine now does:) I like to see the look on their faces when the "dinosaur" (applicable to both me and the car) out performs them.

As for weight, yeah, I can believe it. Many people just don't understand b/c they don't take the time to research and experiment. Try telling a guy that smaller or longer headers and/or exhaust pipes will make his car go faster:p

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Hey Sheep,

Lookin good so far. Tires are the best mod you can do to your car performance wise (and safety wise) if the current set is as bad as it sounds.
Keep the pics coming!

SBF1

p.s. I wonder if leif ever owned a white civic...:D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Har Har Har...:rolleyes:

Thanks! I installed the Valve cover yesturday but didn't have time for pics. I'll get some up tonight.

Since it snowed yesturday, I'm highly considering 2 Nokian snow tires for my fronts just so I have grip.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Installed!

This is a repost with better pictures.

I used a special attachement for a die grinder to clean the raised letters off (if you look closely you can see the blue dust in the cracks of the lettering).

The Valve cover I had on my car during the resto of this one has been fully stripped, and tomorrow I will purchase the paint for it. Since the metal didn't get quite as clean as the last one, I've decided to go bright metallic red, and just hang it on my wall, or put it on my mantel in my room.

Now that this project is finished, it's time for Exhaust, Header, Rims & Rubber. I'm going to start with the header, and do the exhaust this summer, when it's warmer (or when I'm at the point of killing myself with my current system).

This is what my engine bay USED to look like.

Thanks to all for browsing, commenting, and sharing. I hope to see more pictures of other peoples project cars in here!

SheepStar

R

riceaterslc

Audioholic
STRONGBADF1 said:
Tires are the best mod you can do to your car performance wise (and safety wise) if the current set is as bad as it sounds.

x2 good advice

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Sheep said:
This is a repost with better pictures.
The Valve cover I had on my car during the resto of this one has been fully stripped, and tomorrow I will purchase the paint for it. Since the metal didn't get quite as clean as the last one, I've decided to go bright metallic red, and just hang it on my wall, or put it on my mantel in my room.
Hi sheep,you might allready know this but for painting metal you will get alot more durable finish if after you prep the part take a junk cookie sheet or metal rack,put the part on it & put it in the oven at 200 degrees for about 10 minutes then quickly spray as many coats as possible before the part cools,you can usualy get 4 or 5 good solid coats on before the part cools.

I learned this trick while painting the jugs on my old shovelhead hd when i was redoing it a few years back & it makes the paint hard as a rock.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
highfihoney said:
Hi sheep,you might allready know this but for painting metal you will get alot more durable finish if after you prep the part take a junk cookie sheet or metal rack,put the part on it & put it in the oven at 200 degrees for about 10 minutes then quickly spray as many coats as possible before the part cools,you can usualy get 4 or 5 good solid coats on before the part cools.

I learned this trick while painting the jugs on my old shovelhead hd when i was redoing it a few years back & it makes the paint hard as a rock.
Yes I did know that. There's even a trick using the same method where you get wrinkle paint. You have to paint if first, then put the part in at a certain temp for a certain amount of time.

This is automotive paint, so it should be fine.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I THIRD tires...quite often the most overlooked, yet one of the most important, aspects of handling.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
j_garcia said:
I THIRD tires...quite often the most overlooked, yet one of the most important, aspects of handling.
I'm going to get snow tires in a week or so. We've been gettng dumped on a fair bit this year, and it's really cold. Those will grip really well for now, and when it gets hot again, I'll be ready for new rims and rubber. Thinking Graphite Grey Konig Rewinds.

SheepStar

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can roll on steelies as long as you have good rubber on them :D Not a big fan of Konig, but those will probably look good on there. Here's mine, 10.5 lbs ea:

And here I am saying good tires and I'm running Dunlops....that's what came on the rims, can't wait to burn them off.....

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
j_garcia said:
You can roll on steelies as long as you have good rubber on them :D Not a big fan of Konig, but those will probably look good on there. Here's mine, 10.5 lbs ea:

And here I am saying good tires and I'm running Dunlops....that's what came on the rims, can't wait to burn them off.....
Lets see whats under the hood!

One of the Mech's at work suggested some Falcon tires as decent rubber for the buck. I think they were like $60 each or something. Man, all this talk, but no money to do anything. Window and Header are next (with window probably taking the pole position). I also need to know if my Cat. is working properly.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Under the hood - stock b18 w DC 4-2-1 ceramic coated 1 piece header (w/CARB EO number, so it is legal in Ca.), DC cat back and AEM underdrive pulleys. Stock intake because cops can be tough around here. Suspension - Koni Yellows (adjustable) and Eibach springs.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
j_garcia said:
Under the hood - stock b18 w DC 4-2-1 ceramic coated 1 piece header (w/CARB EO number, so it is legal in Ca.), DC cat back and AEM underdrive pulleys. Stock intake because cops can be tough around here. Suspension - Koni Yellows (adjustable) and Eibach springs.
No pics?! Boo!

Hey, has your header started to loose its finish? I was discussing this with a friend, and I want mine to stay that silver color.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No, the header still has that dull look (ceramic coating), not shiny and it hasn't changed at all. I've seen some of the polished ones start to look a little crappy over time.

No pics yet, not until I get my new strut tower bar (one that properly clears the ABS). I can take a pic of the header later though. Here's a pic of my exhaust though (kinda dirty):

And the Momo wheel/hub + OEM optional CF shift knob (to go with the short shifter):

Old pic, I replaced those nasty tan mats with some nice black Lloyds.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Cool! I'd like a short sifter, but I need to fix(replace) the syncros in my transmission first.

Stainless catback? Nice. I hoping for the Apexi WS2 Catback. It has a really melow exhuast note (my current canister is awful, really boomy).

Pretty ugly too.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think the RS*R EX-Mag will fit your car too, same as mine I believe (most parts are swappable from mine to yours), and it has a nice soft tone. Mine is silent at idle and while cruising, but when you get on it, it does get a bit loud. Already got one ticket for it, but got it signed off and got paperwork saying it passed so they can't give me another one for it.

I actually was looking for one of those cars, but around here they are either totally beat to death with some crappy swap (an original D16 is rare around here) or the ones in good condition are asking way too much - as much as what I paid for my Teg (which is why I picked up the Teg instead).

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
j_garcia said:
I think the RS*R EX-Mag will fit your car too, same as mine I believe (most parts are swappable from mine to yours), and it has a nice soft tone. Mine is silent at idle and while cruising, but when you get on it, it does get a bit loud. Already got one ticket for it, but got it signed off and got paperwork saying it passed so they can't give me another one for it.

I actually was looking for one of those cars, but around here they are either totally beat to death with some crappy swap (an original D16 is rare around here) or the ones in good condition are asking way too much - as much as what I paid for my Teg (which is why I picked up the Teg instead).
Youtube has a bunch of videos with the Apexi WS2 exhaust. www.streetfire.net has my exact car, with my intake (AEM SRI), the DC sports 4-2-1 header, and the Apexi WS catback. Sounds pretty nice, but the WS2 is more melow, which is what I'm looking for.

This is the WS2.

Here's a better video.

It's all tone, barely any bass.

SheepStar

Last edited by a moderator:
R

riceaterslc

Audioholic
j_garcia said:

potenza SO3's FTW!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis