Canton Vento Reference 3 DC

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you for the information. Much appreciate it.
My linked posts involve the ceramic tweeter. Look forward to hearing your take on the Al-Mg tweeters used in the reference series!

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
Thank you. I tried to do my due diligence on the tweeter and the only reference I could find was the Stereophile review of the Reference 1 DC which also has the Al-Mg tweeter as well.The reviewer, Wes Phillips, didn't think the tweeter sounded harsh or bright in fact he thought the speakers were more relaxed. He seemed to prefer the Reference 1 DC over the Dynaudio Temptations and the Aerial Acoustics 20T.

I know the Reference 3 DC is different animal than the 1 DC but I was concerned when some thought the speakers might be too bright. Wes highly recommend the 1DC and the 3.2 DC were considered Class A. So I am hoping that these live up to the same billing.

It may be a while before I get these up and running as my dedicated listening room is just starting to be constructed and built.

Thanks.

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
FYI. Speakers arrived today on a pallet. It only took 3 days from purchase to delivery from Florida to Rhode Island. I will take some more pictures once I unboxed them. So the journey begins.

Attachments

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
I just saw your post from last week over on Audiogon. Dig it.

As a very fortunate and grateful owner of Salk-built Phil 3s, I get, truly, the magic of Jim and Dennis working together.

And yes, those HT3s were my pie-in-the-sky speaker... if only I had an extra $3K! :p My understanding of the story is that Dennis started the Phil 2/3 speaker as a response to his work on the Salk SS8. Many have said that is one of the best speakers they had ever heard. Dennis wanted something more affordable. :) After having the Phil 3s in my home for a bit, I had the opportunity to hear the newer Salk SS9.5 at the CAS this year. Stunning.

And I get your position. :D

I hope the Cantons work out well for you!!! I do hope you will come back and post your thoughts once you get them all set up and adjusted.

Best,
R
I know what you mean and if I could buy another pair of Salk HT3 that would have been my preference. One of the problem with full range speakers is the cost to ship them especially used speakers from a previous owner. The Canton just seem to work best for me at this time.

Thanks.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I really like my canton but I’ve realized they love power. Was a huge difference from using my onkyo rz920 vs my B&k 200.5s2. What’s crazy is the rz920 might be one of the most powerful avr you can buy.
I tried the marantz 8012 and the rz920 to my taste was better and more powerful. Still wasn’t enough so I got out my amp. Lol

I’m sure you’ll love them! Just send them some power or you can really damage your speakers. It would be a bad day if you lost a tweeter from using to low of power.

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the info. I have an integrated amplified that puts out 300w at 8ohm and 600 at 4ohm so I think I will be ok. It was one of the amps I used to power my Salk HT3 years ago. I got rid of my other amp which was the Wyred4Sound SX-1000.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Very nice gear and that’ll make them sing! Any first impressions yet? I’m sure if you’re anything like me they’re already opened and playing.

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
Not yet. Hopefully out of the box tomorrow. It may be a while before I have them up and running as my dedicated listening room is just being built.

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
The Cantons are out of the boxes sitting next to my Lenehan's SR2 bookshelf speakers (also a great speaker). My wife remarked what beautiful speakers. It has a nice footprint and doesn't dominate the room. The weight a tons. So far so good. The value is definitely there in terms of aesthetics, weight (108 pounds), and looks for a high end speaker compared to my Salk HT3

But it is about the sound but that will have to wait for now. Very pleased so far.

Attachments

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Very nice. I like them naked... sans grille! Free the nip... :eek:er,... :oops:um,.. drivers!:cool:

;)

I do hope you plugged ‘me in just to make certain all the drivers are working. :)

R

revrob57

Audioholic Intern
Ok I couldn't wait so I plugged them using a very modest system with a 60 watt integrated amp and streaming with Spotify. The real test will come in a few weeks to a month after my listening room is built. I unboxed the speakers and let them sit in my living room for about 8 hrs with some soft music in the background.

Later that evening I play just a few song. Some Chris Botti "Live in Boston" and some Sade both live and studio albums. The bass in these speakers are phenomenal. Just the weight and the individual notes from electric bass to the stand up bass you could hear even note distinctly without any boom or distortion whatsoever.

The Sade "Bring Me Home" Live album was a revelation. The first track, "Soldier of Love" played and it was like I never heard this song sound like that before and I love Sade and play her music all of the time. I knew immediately is was a Live Album with the crowd and atmosphere that accompanies a live set. At first I wasn't even sure if I heard this album and song before and then I realize the speakers had a grip on the presentation that was foreign to me in a good way.

My bookshelf speakers are Lenehan SR2 and retail around $4,000 for the pair and are considered very good and I use a SVS subwoofer with these. But they don't give you a musical insight into the music the way the Canton do. No subwoofer needed for the Cantons. Midrange is very good and the treble is also very engaging without it being harsh. I can't compare them to the Salk because it has been 5 years since I last heard them. I still love the ribbon tweeter of the Salk though.

I can't wait to hear what they will sound like with my dac, cd player and 300 watt integrated amp in the next month or so. For around $3k shipped these are definitely a reference caliber speaker. Hard to believe you can buy a brand new speaker at this level for this amount of money.

Right now I would rate them a 7.5 to 8 out of ten and that is with a very modest front end and amp and the first day out of the box. I will keep you posted.

Last edited:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
By the way. After some time the Cantons really start to shine. Only my Focal’s can compete to my ears. Now it’s time to get rid of all the other speakers I have lined up on the back wall.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis