Can't get dolby digital from netflix

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
Hi guys,
I know that this is a well known issue, and I have googled it as much as I could, including searching in this very forum.
I'm using the netflix app via my smart TV ( lg UK6700YVD), the TV is connected to my receiver (yamaha rxv1500) via optical cable.
All I get is plain PCM.
I've tried setting TV audio out to auto/DD/DD+, nothing helps..
Everything is updated.

Does this mean I must buy a streamer in order to get DD?
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Daniel

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not all tv apps have such capability. Is it shown as an option in your Netflix audio settings in the app? Might just be 2.0, many tvs are in passing out audio, too. What does your tv manual indicate in this regard, anything? My "smart" tv didn't have such capability so long ago went to bluray player apps for multich audio then to a dedicated streamer for more app flexibility.

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
Not all tv apps have such capability. Is it shown as an option in your Netflix audio settings in the app?
It doesn't show anything, not even 2.0. When I go to audio settings it's showing me "English [original]". That's it. Did you get the same using the app via smart TV?

As for the TV manual, It's really poor in details. The manual refer only to the input/output of the signal :
1567446760799.png

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It doesn't show anything, not even 2.0. When I go to audio settings it's showing me "English [original]". That's it. Did you get the same using the app via smart TV?

As for the TV manual, It's really poor in details. The manual refer only to the input/output of the signal :
View attachment 30927
Your problem is that your receiver is too old. It is 2005. Netflix uses Dolby Digital plus. That was not around when that receiver was made.

So you need to update your receiver. I could not find the manual for your TV which I think is a UK model.. How old is that?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Try changing your receiver optical in to PCM as well. A free experiment.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

View attachment 30927
It's been a long time since I looked (and don't even have the tvs wifi enabled any more), but that sounds right that there would be no option for audio on the app altho I suppose it's possible that the app can determine what your system is capable of handling. It does appear your tv has the ability to pass at least DD but not all DD+ has the DD core. TLS may have pegged it with your old avr not having DD+ decoding ability.

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I have an old Harmon Karman more than ten years and it did Dolby Digital, but not plus. There may be a way. I need to see more info on your 2005 model.
Edit

Built-in Decoders
DTS 96/24, DTS Neo:6, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, THX Cinema, THX Surround EX decoder

Like was said it could be your TV integrated android is only PCM. Also check other setting on your TV maybe there is a way or via HDMI. Last resort call TV manufacturer.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Try a laptop or computer to access netflix and your show and see if the audio is DD/DD+ or 5.1.
I just checked on my desktop and several shows and the audio info for the program does not specify only language.
My smart TV with netflix app doesn't show audio when I ask info on the TV.
May need to call Netflix and see what is going on.

Also, are you saying your receiver doesn't show what audio is being decode? Or, no sound at all? Or just not in surround mode?
Or, just wondering about that PCM showing up someplace.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Try a laptop or computer to access netflix and your show and see if the audio is DD/DD+ or 5.1.
I just checked on my desktop and several shows and the audio info for the program does not specify only language.
My smart TV with netflix app doesn't show audio when I ask info on the TV.
May need to call Netflix and see what is going on.

Also, are you saying your receiver doesn't show what audio is being decode? Or, no sound at all? Or just not in surround mode?
Doesn't mean the laptop/computer app is the same as in his tv, tho. I would try the various output modes in the tv, tho.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It is the TV. Most likely, as was already mentioned, the app on the TV simply does not support DD+. Not all devices do, no matter what you set Netflix to, if the device you are streaming to does not support it, you will not get multichannel audio. That is not to say the TV doesn't support DD+, it means the app on that TV does not.

If I am not mistaken, DD+ downconverts to DD, so I am not sure your receiver is the issue, almost certain it is the TV.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Doesn't mean the laptop/computer app is the same as in his tv, tho. I would try the various output modes in the tv, tho.
Yes, but the laptop/computer is directly to the netflix web site and the service purchased is the highest available, 4k, etc and still the audio info for the shows only show language, not that it is a 5.1 or atmos or anything.
It used to show 5.1 on most, not anymore.

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
The receiver is showing PCM, when not using any DSP effect I get only L/R channels:
1567527769623.png

When using DSP I also get sound from the center channel, but that is a "fake" sound obviously.

As for the laptop, I downloaded the app for win 10 and signed up. Surprisingly, the app on the laptop does show 5.1:
1567528201573.png

This is what I see on the TV:

1567528261335.png

Thing is I can only connect my laptop to the TV and use the TV out - resulting in PCM again.

Searching the net for some more info I came across with this :
https://blog.son-video.com/en/2018/03/does-your-av-receiver-handle-dolby-digital-plus/
Claiming you need to use an HDMI arc. Perhaps I need some sort of hdmi->optical connector?

Also I wouldn't mind buying a dedicated streamer, providing it will solve this issue.

Thank again for the help!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Even if you adapt HDMI to optical, the signal will still be the same, AKA not 5.1.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Your problem is that your receiver is too old. It is 2005. Netflix uses Dolby Digital plus. That was not around when that receiver was made.

So you need to update your receiver. I could not find the manual for your TV which I think is a UK model.. How old is that?
As you wrote this could very well be the problem https://blog.son-video.com/en/2018/03/does-your-av-receiver-handle-dolby-digital-plus/

"With Dolby Digital Plus, it would be possible to take the same approach, and yet this isn’t always the case. Sometimes, the Dolby Digital Plus soundtrack contains a Dolby Digital core. However, as compression rates rise and Dolby Atmos metadata is added, this is becoming less common. If Dolby Atmos metadata is present, your older Dolby Digital receiver will not recognize any of the data and will tell you it is not compatible. The TV will then downmix the DD+ soundtrack to obtain a PCM stereo soundtrack, and the original, 5- or 7-channel mix will be lost. Best case scenario, the TV will generate a PCM soundtrack for 5.1 channels, but the possibility of activating the receiver?s Night Mode (dynamic compression)?unique to Dolby audio decoders?is lost."

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
Could be.
However i did read that DD+ could go to DD (and it worked for afterlife2).
Question is - could it be solved using a streamer or something like that:
1567532798341.png

Or connecting a streamer to this. Too bad there's no way finding out.. unless I'll find friend with a proper equipment

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Could be.
However i did read that DD+ could go to DD (and it worked for afterlife2).
Question is - could it be solved using a streamer or something like that:
View attachment 30946

Or connecting a streamer to this. Too bad there's no way finding out.. unless I'll find friend with a proper equipment
Before buying anything I would contact LG or just get a amazon fire stick 4k.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Thing is I can only connect my laptop to the TV and use the TV out - resulting in PCM again.

Searching the net for some more info I came across with this :
https://blog.son-video.com/en/2018/03/does-your-av-receiver-handle-dolby-digital-plus/
Claiming you need to use an HDMI arc. Perhaps I need some sort of hdmi->optical connector?

Also I wouldn't mind buying a dedicated streamer, providing it will solve this issue.

Thank again for the help!
Try sending the laptop to the receiver via HDMI then the tv, free experiment.;)
Go into your receiver setup. Someplace you will find audio assignments perhaps or optical inputs. Select the one that has the optical from the TV. Hopefully it has settings available to choose and PCM.

May also want to call Yamaha for help, how PCM from an optical input is treated to get 5.1.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, but the laptop/computer is directly to the netflix web site and the service purchased is the highest available, 4k, etc and still the audio info for the shows only show language, not that it is a 5.1 or atmos or anything.
It used to show 5.1 on most, not anymore.
Not sure about that as far as what that will prove about his service with his current gear. Service purchased? I think the apps vary a lot plus they've been making some changes to auto detecting video capabilities (and audio ?).

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Also try Amazon Prime video if you have it and see if its Dolby.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis