Can't get dolby digital from netflix

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Look guys, the only advice that will help the OP is the advice I gave him. He needs a new receiver.

That is an old receiver from 2005 and has no HDMI. There is no converter that will help him. DRM will frustrate everything he is trying to do. There has now been a forcing of HDMI for years.

His ONLY solution is a modern current receiver to replace his old one.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

You are right. Saw the manual and forgot it only has optical and coax digital in that laptops don't have.

OP you need to upgrade.

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
Try explaining my wife why we need to get a new big box doing the same thing as the old one... :p

Anyhow, I really really appreciate all the help attempts.

I'll have to figure some things with myself, this Yamaha has a quite nice sound wouldn't want to buy an inferior quality model..

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Try explaining my wife why we need to get a new big box doing the same thing as the old one... :p

Anyhow, I really really appreciate all the help attempts.

I'll have to figure some things with myself, this Yamaha has a quite nice sound wouldn't want to buy an inferior quality model..
Daniel go on your local Craigslist I bet you can find a 5.1 for less than $100.00. Just let us know the models and we will let you know if it's good.

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
A few thing to clarify first..

1. I'm from Israel, and prices for electronics here are much higher than in the US, as well as in the second hand market, and the variety isn't as big.
2. I listen to Vinyl records quite a lot, and I need a receiver that has a phono stage (the Yamaha is doing a great job with my turntable).
3. I just bought this Yamaha recently fairly cheap, thinking I would be getting a much cheaper and a higher quality product rather than buying a fancy receiver with a poor quality amp. That was before I knew about this DD+ issue of course (stupid me! :(),In retrospect I'd put more money into it to get the DD+.

Here are a few model I saw, don't think i'll buy anything in near future unless it's a very solid bargain

1. Denon AVR-X2500 - 550 usd
2. Pioneer vsx-823-k 550 usd
3. Onkyo tx-sr606 400 usd
4. Yamaha rx-v733 - 370 usd
5. Yamaha rxv-671/677 - 500 usd
6. Pioneer vsx-821 - 230 usd.
7. Onkyo tx sr-607 - 170 usd
8. Yamaha rx-a1010 - 550 usd - this one looks like a proper receiver considering the other options... not sure if still relevant thought

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
Update: I manage to get it working!!
1567796638875.png

I don' know how I missed it.. it was in the TV options.
I thought "DTV audio setting output" was the only setting in the TV, but you can also get into the sound out of the optical setting - it was set to PCM.

Long story short - You can get Netflix to work with plain DD on an old model receiver.

I feel terribly sorry for wasting your time guys, however I hope other people could use this thread to deal with a similar issue.

Thanks
Daniel

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
View attachment 31027
I thought "DTV audio setting output" was the only setting in the TV, but you can also get into the sound out of the optical setting - it was set to PCM.

Long story short - You can get Netflix to work with plain DD on an old model receiver.

I'm feel terribly sorry for wasting your time guys, however I hope other people could use this thread to deal with a similar issue.

Thanks
Daniel
I knew it. Fantastic glad you got it sorted out and don't worry about plus doesn't add all that much. Enjoy.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Knew it was possible just not exactly where to change options. Great.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

View attachment 31027

I feel terribly sorry for wasting your time guys, however I hope other people could use this thread to deal with a similar issue.

Thanks
Daniel
Come to think of it, I had some issues with optical when I installed a soundbar in my 50" tv. Called Tivo and was told to go into that part of the TV menu. You just reminded me of this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis