Can you hear a difference in Sound between Audio Amplifiers?

Do Amplifiers Sound Different?

• Yes

Votes: 103 60.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 30.4%
  • crikets crickets....What?

Votes: 16 9.4%

• Total voters
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Seems like another one of those examples (exaggerated hearsay). In this case, Mr. Pass made some valid points from way back, then followers/fan boys took it and exaggerated it to the point that readers may be led to believe that NFB is a bad thing, even if done right/well.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
This conversation has gone off the deep end, IMO, with this discussion about negative feedback. Calling out one design consideration in an overall implementation seems unproductive. Look at this 1W FFT plot Gene measured for the Emotiva XPR-1, where low distortion really counts. There isn't anything in that plot, except the 1KHz fundamental, that's higher than 90db below the fundamental frequency:

If this is what you get by using negative feedback intelligently in an amp design, I say bring it on.

And the higher-order distortion being quibbled about is still at least 80db below full power:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
From my reading of many reviews provided by golden ear audiophikes always poo-pooed the amp only after they learned it was one with negative feedback.

Thanks for the curves Irv. It clearly demonstrates that audiophiles are clearly imagining rather than actually detecting what they hear. To put these curves into a listener perspective, groove noise (not including ststic pops) on vinyl cannot be heard once the loud parts of the music are being played and vinyl doesn't even begin to approach -80 db as shown in the graphs you supplied.

Last edited:
L

Luke Cool

Audiophyte
A friend had his large Sansui speakers connected to an appropriate size stereo amp using 16 gauge wire. I brought a pair of 12 gauge cables over, and what a difference. The whole system sounded a lot better. Having compatible components (amp cables and speakers) makes a big difference.
In a transistor, a smaller voltage controls a higher voltage. The smaller voltage is the trigger. The transistor makes its output look just like the trigger, only at a higher voltage. When the trigger for one transistor is the output from another transistor, this is called two stages of amplification. A good amp has many stages of amplification, each stage is at a different voltage so the power supply is also more complex and expensive. This allows each transistor to take small power steps, and operate in its most efficient range. The cheap amps have like two stages and a cheap power supply. Its transistors, with a small trigger, control a much higher voltage. This means that the voltage difference between the trigger and the output are much larger. And also, circuit boards and their components come in different grades. Designing circuit boards and systems is an art because some circuits interfere with other circuits, and each circuit needs to be balanced. As you can see, some amps are just designed and built better.
When you turn the sound up to where you can hear it, the differences in amps, cables and speakers start to really show. To those that think there is no difference between amps, this is a drastic over simplification. You pretty well get what you pay for. Good video!!!

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
We should all give up on this lol!!:D
Do better quality cables that sound differently have less resistance and higher voltage? :eek: :D

Someone should invent a "powered" High-Voltage 1-Gauge speaker cable that has to be plugged in to the outlet to increase voltage to the speakers. It will boost the signals and improve SQ. :eek:

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
A friend had his large Sansui speakers connected to an appropriate size stereo amp using 16 gauge wire. I brought a pair of 12 gauge cables over, and what a difference. The whole system sounded a lot better. Having compatible components (amp cables and speakers) makes a big difference.
In a transistor, a smaller voltage controls a higher voltage. The smaller voltage is the trigger. The transistor makes its output look just like the trigger, only at a higher voltage. When the trigger for one transistor is the output from another transistor, this is called two stages of amplification. A good amp has many stages of amplification, each stage is at a different voltage so the power supply is also more complex and expensive. This allows each transistor to take small power steps, and operate in its most efficient range. The cheap amps have like two stages and a cheap power supply. Its transistors, with a small trigger, control a much higher voltage. This means that the voltage difference between the trigger and the output are much larger. And also, circuit boards and their components come in different grades. Designing circuit boards and systems is an art because some circuits interfere with other circuits, and each circuit needs to be balanced. As you can see, some amps are just designed and built better.
When you turn the sound up to where you can hear it, the differences in amps, cables and speakers start to really show. To those that think there is no difference between amps, this is a drastic over simplification. You pretty well get what you pay for. Good video!!!
hey Luke, welcome aboard ! Be careful here, the majority are disciples of Julian Hirsch ........

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
And you tested all this how???

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
where did I ever say that ? are you paranoid ? someone looking over your shoulder ? Facts matter ......
What does this mean then, your words?
hey Luke, welcome aboard ! Be careful here, the majority are disciples of Julian Hirsch ........

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
What does this mean then, your words?
as you say ... 'facts matter' , I was merely stating 'the facts' !!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
as you say ... 'facts matter' , I was merely stating 'the facts' !!
LOL wonder how many know (except the older crowd of course) who Julian Hirsch was let alone how many have any idea of what you're trying to say...

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
LOL wonder how many know (except the older crowd of course) who Julian Hirsch was let alone how many have any idea of what you're trying to say...
ahhhh, that's the point....... I got the 'fish to bite' !

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis