Can You Get Audiophile 2CH Sound from a Home Theater?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I have what amounts to HT mains, but just never found the need to fill the other channels. I actually set mine up for a single LP. The social gathering aspect left home music/theater/audio decades ago. All of my friends who set up HT rooms in their homes are pretty lonely in them, these days, once the initial novelties wore off. A lot of people tend to underestimate a good 2.1 channel setup for it not being complicated/expensive enough. The right mains/sub for the room can often make someone forget that their surround channels are off.

J

jeffca

Junior Audioholic
Having owned "stereos" and now a couple "stereos" as well as a home theater, of course you can get fantastic stereo from a home theater. If you want, you can upsample it.

Personally, I'm using an Emotiva XMC-1 in my theater. It's a great box. I had a guy from an audio site say it was a piece of junk in a posting. When I reminded him that his site had said it was one of the best products of the year a few years earlier, he had no response. Busted!

People get too worked up about equipment. I don't care what it's made from. If it sounds really good, is durable & doesn't explode into flames that works for me.

G

gbaby

Enthusiast
When you purchase a mass produced product like a Denon or Marantz processor, your two channel sound will be compromised. But when you buy a high end processor like the Bryston SP3, you get stellar two channel sound rivaling dedicated two channel pre-amps.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I think the #1 reason for having 2 or MORE systems is because you have more than one room and want to fill those rooms. :D

So my HT room is for HT, but my living room is for 2CH, not because 2CH sounds better for music. :D

If I had 1 HT room and 10 living rooms, there would be 1 HT room and 10 rooms with 2CH. :D
I have 3 systems, one per room, that are used for both HT and music.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
When you purchase a mass produced product like a Denon or Marantz processor, your two channel sound will be compromised. But when you buy a high end processor like the Bryston SP3, you get stellar two channel sound rivaling dedicated two channel pre-amps.
Here's a perfect example of someone drinking the audiophile and marketing/advertising department cool-aid

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, there are some sh#&ty tactics out there to get folks to overspend for no good reason. This reminds me of the "Budget" audiophile system thread a bit. "Sure, we could sell you THIS unit, but people who really give a s#$t about this stuff wouldn't touch it and buy THAT," has been uttered by many a shameless prick. That prick leads the customer over to equipment that costs more than their house and happily offers up financing.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have 3 systems, one per room, that are used for both HT and music.
There's no wrong way.

You could have 10 rooms and all 10 rooms can be for both HT + Stereo or all 10 rooms can be ONLY Stereo or ONLY HT.

A 16CH HT system set to play only 2CH can sound just as good as a 2CH system.

But can a 2CH system sound as good as a Multi-Channel ATMOS system for watching ATMOS MOVIES? :D

IOW, a MCH system is backward-compatible for 2CH. But a 2Ch system is NOT backward-compatible for a MCH ATMOS system. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You get a lot of heat for statements like that. :D

I will say this. If you buy a Bryston SP4, it will sound better for 2Ch than the Bryston SP3. Haha. :p:D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There's no wrong way.

You could have 10 rooms and all 10 rooms can be for both HT + Stereo or all 10 rooms can be ONLY Stereo or ONLY HT.

A 16CH HT system set to play only 2CH can sound just as good as a 2CH system.

But can a 2CH system sound as good as a Multi-Channel ATMOS system for watching ATMOS MOVIES? :D

IOW, a MCH system is backward-compatible for 2CH. But a 2Ch system is NOT backward-compatible for a MCH ATMOS system. :D
But if your extra gear for rooms happens to be multich, avrs can fill the extra rooms...if I had one more avr my last 2ch only rig will get pushed aside.....

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
I won't outright belittle you, but this statement is so ignorant. I really hope you're just starting out, confused, and still gathering information as you take the long journey down the pathway of enjoying audio. I hope you get out of this phase you're in now and get into a happier place one day.

Very best,

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
I won't outright belittle you, but this statement is so ignorant. I really hope you're just starting out, confused, and still gathering information as you take the long journey down the pathway of enjoying audio. I hope you get out of this phase you're in now and get into a happier place one day.
But you did. He is quite correct. The better systems are not HT or AV equipment. I have been side by siding equipment for 50 years. Talk about ignorant.
You can get good sound effects and even a good stereo. It stops there. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The mid-fi world is comprised of mostly
HT/AV gear. You have to work everything to get great sound.

Most could have a whole lot better sound by treating the room. Music or HT. A lot of audiophilers started via AV/HT few stayed there. They may have kept their HT systems and rooms but getting serious with a HT receiver ain't gonna happen. You can integrate or use the same room for two (or more) different systems.
I get great stereo sound out of older MX and C Mac gear. All in one boxes are convenient, I'll say that. I have a C45 I really liked for a SS multichannel.
100% programable Analog. Wonderful 2.X or 3.X channel music playback.

I been using a Peachtree 400Gan stereo for the main monitors. That is a nice sounding amp. I'm using planars and ribbons. If I didn't use valve gear to heat the house
I might be tempted to use that 400Gan all year long. Spendy vs a Ncore NC modules. I have a few with different buffers and OpAmps, Nord and Wiess. The Peachtree is an end all piece. My hearing isn't going to get better. Easier on my ears for some reason. Pleasing. It will outlast me, I'm sure. I know the valve gear will.

I have a Krell 5.1 HT that has a great DAC and stereo. The best remote/features I ever used too. Brushed aluminum. Class A if I remember. Razor sharp sound. Ugly too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But you did. He is quite correct. The better systems are not HT or AV equipment. I have been side by siding equipment for 50 years. Talk about ignorant.
You can get good sound effects and even a good stereo. It stops there. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The mid-fi world is comprised of mostly

Most could have a whole lot better sound by treating the room. Music or HT. A lot of audiophilers started via AV/HT few stayed there. They may have kept their HT systems and rooms but getting serious with a HT receiver ain't gonna happen. You can integrate or use the same room for two (or more) different systems.
I get great stereo sound out of older MX and C Mac gear. All in one boxes are convenient, I'll say that. I have a C45 I really liked for a SS multichannel.

I been using a Peachtree 400Gan stereo for the main monitors. That is a nice sounding amp. I'm using planars and ribbons. If I didn't use valve gear to heat the house
I might be tempted to use that 400Gan all year long. Spendy vs a Ncore NC modules. I have a few with different buffers and OpAmps, Nord and Wiess. The Peachtree is an end all piece. My hearing isn't going to get better. Easier on my ears for some reason. Pleasing. It will outlast me, I'm sure. I know the valve gear will.

I have a Krell 5.1 HT that has a great DAC and stereo. The best remote/features I ever used too. Brushed aluminum. Class A if I remember. Razor sharp sound. Ugly too.
Then again you hear weird stuff in wires of various configuration, whether they're used for 1000 hours vs less, the metallurgy/dielectric weirdness, etc., let alone the amp variations you seem to be able to judge from a listen or two with particular speakers in particular rooms. Maybe it's far more reasonable to assume it is just in your head from your reading and consuming habits? Maybe your hearing isn't nearly as good as you think it is for a long time now? Maybe you simply have preferences....

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
I have been side by siding equipment for 50 years.
You have to work everything to get great sound.
My hearing isn't going to get better. Easier on my ears for some reason.
While your self-validation, purchase-validation paywall and self-accreditation is commendable, so thanks for that, everything you just described is largely psychoacoustics on top of a 50+ year memory with imperfect measuring ears. Let's just say, I'm not convinced of whatever your argument is or was. But I'm genuinely happy you're pleased with your setups.

Unless you have metrics to share that are correlated with audible differences beyond just yourself, I'm not sure what you're trying to share. I'm always happy to see some new information.

Very best,

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja

Most of us here started with 1, or even 2 channel and then AVR came much later. Many of us still have our original 2 channel equipment restored and in use alongside the AV equipment.

About the only disagreements I have with HT is that I have no need for multi-seating sweet spots for an audience of one, no desire to accommodate the notion of some overbearing WAF to decide what kind of speakers I can have and where. Along with the fact that I have no HT or TV in my home.

I have as many picks with 2 channel audiophools as I do the HT version of the same. Both tend to fall for the exact same whacky weirdness and both are targeted by the same snake oil pushers.

I am glad that this forum tends to weed out the unfounded fantasy group, who are otherwise unavoidable on the more fruity/flighty forums and social media outlets.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
I'm glad there is a site that weeds out some of the nuttiness. I also see the thread title.
If HT music sound is the end all, why the title of the thread? Why do music lovers
try to achieve "Autophile 2CH Sound"? Which means you close your eyes and the band is before you.

Personally I don't care if it takes 1 or 111 channels to make you or anyone else on planet earth happy.
I'm not here to make you happy, just me and those I choose. If others are there along the way, so be it.
If I like what they have to say, I listen, if not, I pay attention but usually from a distance. I have NEVER been
accused of not trying to understand or learn. As a retired mechanic I've seen and heard to many claims of
"They sound the same to me" and then blow up costing 10s of thousands of dollars/euros, in less than 24 hours.

I'm here learning at my own pace which is very slow (these days). If people disagree I don't have a problem with
any of that. LOL Maybe the way it's done is a little harsh. lol But I'm tough, I'll endure or hit the ol Ignore button.
Having fun and learning, I'm all in. Name calling and telling me I'm ANY type of "fool" ain't gonna fly. Like everyone
keeps saying this isn't Audio (all the way) Gon.

For the record if some one has a como of equipment that is really really good and has a recommendation that
sounds better than my current gear for 2 channel reproduction, speak up.

Some of the replies infer I'm loony, but don't offer a piece of equipment that I haven't already tried to back it up.
I know what I like to hear. Most SS gear has a tough time getting me there, before my brain just clicks OFF.

I work with, what I've personally worked through and worked out the bugs on. That took a while 30+ years ago.
When my ears were in the best shape they were ever in 30 years ago, why question them NOW when they were
just tested and prove to be worse.

I sat in listening rooms with some great amp and speaker designers at the same time. That was weird. BUT they
agreed on a voicing for his amps (at the time) through the speaker guys old monitor speakers. I still have a set of
the same monitors. QSO 808s that I always reference.

I still use the same type of drivers for my sound system. Ribbons and Planars. I chose the design for speed and detail.
Strathearns, Monsoons, BGs. AC. I like @Corian, HDF or Stonewood (apitong) front baffles in my cabinet designs.

For the most part I like it here. Some folks were a little thick, But so am I. I can fix that easy enough.

BTW I been switching between a C20/Mx110z MC225/240 with QSO monitors and a Sony ES. John Lee, "The Heeler"
There may be better, but this is as sweet as it gets to my ears. Yes the room is treated. :cool:

That's right, it's time to feed my rabbit and my chickens.

Regards

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I'm glad there is a site that weeds out some of the nuttiness. I also see the thread title.
If HT music sound is the end all, why the title of the thread? Why do music lovers
try to achieve "Autophile 2CH Sound"? Which means you close your eyes and the band is before you.

Personally I don't care if it takes 1 or 111 channels to make you or anyone else on planet earth happy.
I'm not here to make you happy, just me and those I choose. If others are there along the way, so be it.
If I like what they have to say, I listen, if not, I pay attention but usually from a distance. I have NEVER been
accused of not trying to understand or learn. As a retired mechanic I've seen and heard to many claims of
"They sound the same to me" and then blow up costing 10s of thousands of dollars/euros, in less than 24 hours.

I'm here learning at my own pace which is very slow (these days). If people disagree I don't have a problem with
any of that. LOL Maybe the way it's done is a little harsh. lol But I'm tough, I'll endure or hit the ol Ignore button.
Having fun and learning, I'm all in. Name calling and telling me I'm ANY type of "fool" ain't gonna fly. Like everyone
keeps saying this isn't Audio (all the way) Gon.

For the record if some one has a como of equipment that is really really good and has a recommendation that
sounds better than my current gear for 2 channel reproduction, speak up.

Some of the replies infer I'm loony, but don't offer a piece of equipment that I haven't already tried to back it up.
I know what I like to hear. Most SS gear has a tough time getting me there, before my brain just clicks OFF.

I work with, what I've personally worked through and worked out the bugs on. That took a while 30+ years ago.
When my ears were in the best shape they were ever in 30 years ago, why question them NOW when they were
just tested and prove to be worse.

I sat in listening rooms with some great amp and speaker designers at the same time. That was weird. BUT they
agreed on a voicing for his amps (at the time) through the speaker guys old monitor speakers. I still have a set of
the same monitors. QSO 808s that I always reference.

I still use the same type of drivers for my sound system. Ribbons and Planars. I chose the design for speed and detail.
Strathearns, Monsoons, BGs. AC. I like @Corian, HDF or Stonewood (apitong) front baffles in my cabinet designs.

For the most part I like it here. Some folks were a little thick, But so am I. I can fix that easy enough.

BTW I been switching between a C20/Mx110z MC225/240 with QSO monitors and a Sony ES. John Lee, "The Heeler"
There may be better, but this is as sweet as it gets to my ears. Yes the room is treated. :cool:

That's right, it's time to feed my rabbit and my chickens.

Regards
I just don't find your stated credentials all that unique in which to call someone else "ignorant." I repair and build amps, speakers, and a myriad of other appliances and electrical devices and even went to school for it. Still, I don't discount others subjective opinions, especially when it is proven to work, at least in some situations. Me, I own amps by Adcom, Pioneer, Pass DIY, Denon, Dynaco, Carver, B&O, Parasound, Harman and others, along with around a dozen pair of speakers that are pretty much in constant rotation.

The thread title/question asks, " Can You Get Audiophile 2CH Sound from a Home Theater?" Since many "audiophiles" here answered "yes," then it is true that it can be done, and that it satisfies many who can qualify as such.

There are no real boundaries/qualifications with regard to audiophilia.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
I'm not here to have my mind changed, expanded maybe. Audiophiles are exclusive. You are or you are not a audiophile.
Others approval is not required. I can't say a person is or isn't, they get to make that claim.
Gene's question is pretty clear, then I have to qualify if it's possible. I think it is.

I also believe there is a lot more on the table. There are degrees of quality. Don't you agree with that?
The pics I saw alone from Gene would be pretty easy to work with, with the equipment I use. How would it sound?
Give me a day or two.. Heaven comes to mind. Beautiful set up. I like everything I see. It is also 2 CHANNEL not HT
Where is the center, subs and the rest of the surrounds. Did I miss something? If it is HT it is well hidden. :) The Pics
are great.

You got the cart before the horse. Ignorance infers someone doesn't know. I didn't use the word "stupid" which means they should know better.
I'm being as blunt as the others HERE, that think their way is the correct way. I really doubt from the few I chose to ignore NOW any good will
come from their input to me. I was called every kind of crackpot, because I KNOW the phono cables I use, take a long time to sound the way
they are going to sound, when they are finally BROKEN-IN. Nothing comes off the spool conditioned or ready to go. Everything has to break-in.
From cables to cable risers, speaker to speaker pods. Everything takes time and changes to a lesser and lesser degree, to the point
of "as good as it gets" via parts. At least until you move or screw with something. .

OCD quality, Master Mechanic Quality, The "BEST" for the least quality. If it pleases me, it's good enough for me. At my AGE
I don't settle for anything unless I want to. I may have to change dippers and wipe the slobber from my mouth, but I choose the diapers
and the tissue to wipe my mouth and A$$ with. Same with gear, speakers, cables, room treatment, electrical grid, vibration control, visual decor
and anything else. Including the cannabis plants growing on the back wall corners year round.

What has never happened to me, is equipment NOT changing the way it sounds over the BREAK-IN period. IF it didn't change, someone built the very
first piece that didn't to some degree.

Even my two Victrola's had a break-in procedure after the rebuilds. The guy tuned the two units differently. I was ignorant as to how to do that.
I'm not now.. IF I didn't pay attention, I'd be stupid.. I think there are a lot of people that settle until they learn how to do better and can afford it.
Nothing wrong with that. I learned I had to open the cabinets to the room for over a month, to make the Victrola sound as they should. I didn't
argue.

I didn't start out driving Rolls-Royce, I started working on them first. Automotive and aviation. Best of the best. So did
my Father and Father in Law. Both trained at RR and Studebaker as aircraft mechanics. Pratt Whitney and GE to.
I'm Mitchel certified, kind of rare today I guess.
Cat, Bauer, Liebherr, Klemm, JD, MQ, Detroit, Deutz, Cummins Allison and Danfoss certed at one time or another.

I do ok with stereo gear, I get by. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not here to have my mind changed, expanded maybe. Audiophiles are exclusive. You are or you are not a audiophile.
LOL, okay please provide your definition of audiophile. An audiophile is merely someone seeking hifi audio reproduction for the most part. Doesn't mean your preferences are special because you anoint yourself as an "audiophile". Could just be a wire crackpot with tin ears for all we know. Your subjective opinion alone counts for little in the big picture...

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
I currently have a couple people on Ignore. I didn't realize They were silly enough to keep responding and being ignored. Take the hint.
I find nothing they say informative or entertaining. If you really need to respond to me I'll give you my Email address. I'll take you off
Ignore and we'll see if you have learned some manners. If not I'll continue to return all your wonderful gifts. You are making me blush.
So much attention from such a witty gentleperson. Please accept back the gifts you so graciously want to give and let me double
that portion of Snark. SNARK, SNARK! and add a bowtie. Party Poopers!

If you're going to follow me around we got to get you some new threads too. A bath or shower every day too, ay!
Like I need another Mikey following me around. I have a few, that are finally coming around. One more is no biggie, I GUESS!
Now be nice to others and you do have an ignore button. I still haven't seen that list of AVs or HT that are good.

Please point me to a few you think will do the job. If I don't already have access to or have one, I'll buy it, and try it. I'll put
my money where YOUR mouth is. Maybe Your right and I'm wrong. AV and HT equipment can cut the 2ch mustard, but then
I never said it couldn't. I said there are different degrees of equipment. Nothing more. I like 2 or 3.2/4 channel for music.
I also like the two channel pics on the opening page. That is 2ch right? Sure nice looking.

1658812114368.png

My 3 channel is a little different but the same speakers. I did change the center channel to an 18 driver neo 8 lattice di-pole.
Then did away with it all together. I still have it, It's the loudest speaker I ever built. My RMx (s) have a AC tweeter in the # 3
position in the front. The top FST is switched to the back in a separate cabinet with the other neo 8 from the front LS. Pure
3 channel analog processor. I use it with Cary and Nord power amps. If I use it at all. It got old and really loud. Valve amps
sure helped. He died before he did a valve version of the SST 3 channel. I think that was the Scotch talking. :)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis