Can Audiophiles Embrace Science Over Religion For The Hobby To Have a Future?

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
"I found a set of 5 Shunyata Diamondback powers cords on Craigslist for 30 bucks each." "Did I hear anything, no."

Even at $30 each, you still got taken.

"Diamondback Platinum possesses a natural, organic tonal character and presents sound and visuals with incredible depth, dimension and background silence. Diamondback will engage you with pace, rhythm and timing and a surprisingly high level of clarity and dynamic range. Our highest recommendation!"

Good grief.

Peguinpower

Enthusiast
I don't think the scientific discovery you describe is "anecdote". It was a hypothesis.\
There is a formal definition of Anecdotal Evidence. My use of it complies with its exact definition.

Anecdotal evidence is a factual claim relying only on personal observation, collected in a casual or non-systematic manner.

In this situation, what you think Anecdotal Evidence means, how you use it in everyday life, is different from its formal definition.

The Role of Anecdotes in Science-Based Medicine | Science-Based Medicine

Peguinpower

Enthusiast
"I found a set of 5 Shunyata Diamondback powers cords on Craigslist for 30 bucks each." "Did I hear anything, no."

Even at $30 each, you still got taken.

"Diamondback Platinum possesses a natural, organic tonal character and presents sound and visuals with incredible depth, dimension and background silence. Diamondback will engage you with pace, rhythm and timing and a surprisingly high level of clarity and dynamic range. Our highest recommendation!"

Good grief.
Amazon.com: Tripp Lite 15ft Hospital Medical Power Extension Cord 5-15P HG 5-15R HG 120V 15A Gray 15' (P024-015-GY-HG): Electronics

for shielded power cords? im guessing you have no idea what they cost. it doesnt matter to me what they claim. I did a physical inspection of what I bought and know exactly what they are. 15a power cords with PE insulation double shielded with foil and copper braid and heavy gauge copper hardware. the shielding is terminated on one end only, just how I wanted it.

I just posted quality tripp lite cords at 24 bucks a pop, with no shielding. try building some shielded cords yourself with premium hardware, and let me know if you can get it under 30 lol.

Im a science person. I can see through the marketing fluff

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Science, Schmience. Oh, and vinyl is the devil’s medium. Can I get an Amen for the celluloid cylinder?!!;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Anecdotal evidence is a factual claim relying only on personal observation, collected in a casual or non-systematic manner.
"I've never washed my hands before an operation and none of my patients ever got an infection."

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Peguinpower- Until there's a testable model all claims are anecdote! Forming a hypothesis would be the next step. Of course anecdote is involved in the process. Then you test it and prove it right or wrong! I don't think I get your point?

Peguinpower

Enthusiast
"I've never washed my hands before an operation and none of my patients ever got an infection."
did you tell that to the guy that won the Nobel Prize? lol. funny.
@Peguinpower- Until there's a testable model all claims are anecdote! Forming a hypothesis would be the next step. Of course anecdote is involved in the process. Then you test it and prove it right or wrong! I don't think I get your point?
whatever dude. word play doesnt interest me. we are all adults here. you know whats been said. carry on.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
did you tell that to the guy that won the Nobel Prize? lol. funny.

whatever dude. word play doesnt interest me. we are all adults here. you know whats been said. carry on.
I'm not the one playing with words. You've had 2 people ask what your point is and you still haven't made one. All I'm saying is that the plural of "anecdote" isn't "fact". Any claim, one way or the other can be called anecdotal. Any claim. What do we use to tell the difference between the factual ones and the fallacious ones?

Peguinpower

Enthusiast
I'm not the one playing with words. You've had 2 people ask what your point is and you still haven't made one. All I'm saying is that the plural of "anecdote" isn't "fact". Any claim, one way or the other can be called anecdotal. Any claim. What do we use to tell the difference between the factual ones and the fallacious ones?
seriously, after all that has been written on here, the question "what is your point" is a juvy move to engage in some sort of forum battle. hard pass. statements have been made, and they are pretty clear. the only question on the positions on here is with those that are challenged with whats been said.

all the best on your quest for the definition of "anecdote" and its use.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
seriously, after all that has been written on here, the question "what is your point" is a juvy move to engage in some sort of forum battle. hard pass. statements have been made, and they are pretty clear. the only question on the positions on here is with those that are challenged with whats been said.

all the best on your quest for the definition of "anecdote" and its use.
I asked you another question in the post you quoted. I'm seeking clarification because I really don't get your point. Is it that all science starts with anecdote? If so, then yes. In general I would agree. Pretty much all observations are anecdotal to start, but we don't just stop there do we? What's the next step? How do we tell the correct ones from the wrong ones?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Is it that all science starts with anecdote?
I know what you're trying to say, but anecdote is not the correct term. A more correct term would be "hypothesis", which is a theory or a conjecture.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
seriously, after all that has been written on here, the question "what is your point" is a juvy move
I'm assuming you mean juvenile? What would you call marking someone's posts all "dumb" because you just realized you were exposed for not holding a reasonable position? :rolleyes:

Plus, I'm not the one who said "what's your point?". I also didn't mark your post dumb, tho it deserves it...

Peguinpower

Enthusiast
I know what you're trying to say, but anecdote is not the correct term. A more correct term would be "hypothesis", which is a theory or a conjecture.
I guess its important that someone has background education, whether self or formal, to have been exposed to these concepts, vs everyday casual conversation to appreciate their true meaning. For clarity, the following are formal definitions.

A Hypothesis a tentative explanation for an observation, phenomenon, or scientific problem that can be tested by further investigation.

An Anecdote is a short account of something observed.

In the scientific sense, Anecdotal Evidence is a factual claim relying only on personal observation, collected in a casual or non-systematic manner. It remains to be scientifically tested, but some conclusions may be inferred, but not proven.

That said, a Hypothesis is postulated, and can be derived from Anecdotal Evidence.

There is some interchangeability of these words in everyday conversation, but they are pretty well defined in themselves.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, yeah. I'm just tossing anecdote in there before hypothesis.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In the scientific sense, Anecdotal Evidence is a factual claim relying only on personal observation, collected in a casual or non-systematic manner. It remains to be scientifically tested, but some conclusions may be inferred, but not proven.
Yes, it's a factual claim. The claim doesn't make it fact tho. I'm still struggling to get your point. Are you saying anecdotal claims are fact? I can factually observe the sun revolve around the earth and make an inference from it, but that doesn't make the observation fact.

Peguinpower

Enthusiast
Peguinpower said:

Yes, it's a factual claim. The claim doesn't make it fact tho. I'm still struggling to get your point. Are you saying anecdotal claims are fact? I can factually observe the sun revolve around the earth and make an inference from it, but that doesn't make the observation fact.
I put a sentence in bold for context. Im sorry this is so difficult. I dont want to monopolize this convo. I am going to step back and suggest you research these matters. You will likely get a better grasp of them from another resource.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I am glad you are pleased. A lot can be lost in forum posts. We are now aligned.
You marked a bunch of my posts dumb then tell me we are aligned... c'mon man. I was genuinely trying to have a civil discussion without the ad hominems...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis