Calculations says I need a power amp with 250 watts for KEF R11.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
While I would always recommend active cooling solutions, this isn't specifically just about a hot AVR...

By his own account... he has some... spirited sessions.

;)

He truly has a legitimate case, with those Speakers, for a good Amp.

Truthfully, I would want something stable at 2ohms and would honestly recommend a Hypex option from Buckeye or VTV like a stereo NC502 build.

J

john20182050

Audioholic
Some great replies, and thanks for doing a little bit of homework. I think we're all clear now on what you're wanting.

I'm still digesting your whole post but wanted to address this right off. 125 probably is enough, but... if you regularly crank it to 0 and like it loud (me too sometimes) it wouldn't hurt for you to get a separate amp. If for any reason to take a little heat off your receiver. That's my justification and my receiver does indeed run much cooler now, especially with eco mode turned on. If you're using a separate amp eco mode won't choke back your power like it does when using the receiver's amps.

I think a 200-250 wpc amp is a fair number to shoot for in that it will give you at least a decent bump in power and should cover your peaks.
Okay, if I buy an amp, what are some better choices? Also, do I need to buy just a power amp or do I need to buy an integrated amp? Do I need to buy a preamp+power amp as two units? Since my receiver AVR 4400H has an inbuilt receiver, I can simply just buy a power amp, right? Is there a need to buy an integrated amp?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Okay, if I buy an amp, what are some better choices? Also, do I need to buy just a power amp or do I need to buy an integrated amp? Do I need to buy a preamp+power amp as two units? Since my receiver AVR 4400H has an inbuilt receiver, I can simply just buy a power amp, right? Is there a need to buy an integrated amp?
You have everything you need.
That's a big part of the message.
If you wish to add an Amp, you can. A Power Amp.
Your AVR has Pre-Outs which you connect to the Power Amp which in turn connects directly to your Speakers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What Ryan said above. Your receiver has preouts so all you'd need is a regular amp, not integrated. There are a few options like the Monoprice Monolith amps, I think Outlaw still has their 200 watt monoblocks and the Hypex based amps from Buckeye and VTV have been making a positive splash for high power and low distortion bang for buck as well.

You can get a 3 x 200w Monolith for $1299 for the front 3, or for $300 more you can get the 5 channel version.

A 4 x 250w (or 2 channel, or 6 channel priced up or down respectively) VTV Hypex for $979.

And these Outlaw mono amps at $399 a pop.

They're all good choices tho I gotta say I'm liking what I've been seeing about those Hypex amps, and for not much more you can get 4 x 500 watts for $1099!

*Edit: I see also that Outlaw is offering $99 off per amp if you bundle up. You can save $198 on 3 of them!

Last edited:
J

john20182050

Audioholic
What Ryan said above. Your receiver has preouts so all you'd need is a regular amp, not integrated. There are a few options like the Monoprice Monolith amps, I think Outlaw still has their 200 watt monoblocks and the Hypex based amps from Buckeye and VTV have been making a positive splash for high power and low distortion bang for buck as well.

You can get a 3 x 200w Monolith for $1299 for the front 3, or for $300 more you can get the 5 channel version.

A 4 x 250w (or 2 channel, or 6 channel priced up or down respectively) VTV Hypex for $979.

And these Outlaw mono amps at $399 a pop.

They're all good choices tho I gotta say I'm liking what I've been seeing about those Hypex amps, and for not much more you can get 4 x 500 watts for $1099!
Thanks, I looked looking at Monolith 3 channel amp and also Parasound Halo A21+. Parasound Halo A21+ cost almost three times of monolith. Is Parasound Halo A21+ worth three times the price?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks, I looked looking at Monolith 3 channel amp and also Parasound Halo A21+. Parasound Halo A21+ cost almost three times of monolith. Is Parasound Halo A21+ worth three times the price?
Hell. No. Well... They're great amps. Not 3x the cost great tho. The Monoliths are just as legit.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

That's 500w per ch at 4ohms. (350w at 8, stable at 2 ohms 450w per channel.)

$800 with trigger and binding posts.
Oh if only those had been around when I was buying... I'd have got that 2 x 500w one, knowing full well I'll never use 500 watts. I don't care, lol.

You know what else I looked at? This bad boy for my subwoofer!

The base model is $1099 for a 2000 watt monoblock. Thats not too terrible much more than Crown or QSC for similar power. Only one channel and no dsp, but I only need one channel and don't use the dsp on my current amp.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The KEF R11 are $6,000 per pair.

And I think we can conclude that it is OKAY to use a 200-300WPC amp with his $6,000/pair KEF R11, but he just needs to use sensible volume, not DEAF-volume that could permanently damage is hearing and his speakers.
That's one reason why we shouldn't stay in a THX cinema all day watching movies mixed to THX standard. THX standard: 85 dB nominal/average, 105 dB peak, based on one single speaker for HT.

I am not sure what it would be for a cinema that has many more speakers but it seemed to me movies in a cinema I went to last time was just about as loud as playing the same kind of movie in my HT room with volume set to 0. Hard to judge really but it just seemed.....

What do everyone else think, cinema loud vs your own HT loud at volume 0, or 80 for those who use absolute scale? Which one would you think sounds louder?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What do everyone else think, cinema loud vs your own HT loud at volume 0, or 80 for those who use absolute scale? Which one would you think sounds louder?
I actually paid really close attention to that when I went last for the Spiderman movie and I thought it really was about like being at home with the dial at 0. It was pretty loud.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Another option at 250 WPC for 8 ohm from OSD, a Class D amp. Looks like Crutchfield is now carrying this model at @ 473. Not familiar with OSD but they are California based with manufacturing in China. The power vs. price is compelling. 350 WPC at 4 ohm.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's one reason why we shouldn't stay in a THX cinema all day watching movies mixed to THX standard. THX standard: 85 dB nominal/average, 105 dB peak, based on one single speaker for HT.

I am not sure what it would be for a cinema that has many more speakers but it seemed to me movies in a cinema I went to last time was just about as loud as playing the same kind of movie in my HT room with volume set to 0. Hard to judge really but it just seemed.....

When I see "THX" I don't even bother going into the room. :D

No point watching a movie with EAR PLUGS on. :D

THX loudness is ABSURD even in the BACK ROW SEATS. I keep on expecting to see some kind of LAWSUIT against THX and Hearing Loss.

"THX Standard" was set by a few OLD GUYS with HEARING LOSS. :D

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General

THX loudness is ABSURD even in the BACK ROW SEATS. I keep on expecting to see some kind of LAWSUIT against THX and Hearing Loss.
Agree. I will join that class action on THX hearing loss. Also, will go after the guys that used to run CBGB's in the 1980s for their speaker volumes during their "Hard Core Matinees"!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

There's like, too much dynamic range at THX levels, right? Even at home movies and reference levels can be really aggravating. For quieter passages and dialogue you almost have to crank it up to 0, but then something big happens and you get your ears blown out. For the most part -10 or -15 is loud enough for us, but every once in a while I will turn it up to -5 or even 0 for dialogue heavy scenes. If they're talking quietly or whispering I can still struggle to hear it sometimes.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I did bring my old trusted RS spl meter in to check one time, don't laugh, but iirc it was wonder woman (not a fan..but for the loud scenes obviously). Also iirc, the measurements confirmed spl seemed comparable to watching those kind of movies at volume 0 at my mlp.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis