Building a New System - Could use some advice

T

TonyLent

Enthusiast
Definitely unless you just want to keep using the Bose, speakers are largely about preference in the long run. I'd just want better than even what has been called by some Bose's best speaker (which isn't saying a lot).

Might I point you to Salk Sound and/or Philharmonic Audio?
I did some initial research on speakers and so far I am leaning towards Polk Audio Legend L800. https://www.themasterswitch.com/best-floorstanding-speakers
OR
Possibly the McIntosh XR100

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did some initial research on speakers and so far I am leaning towards Polk Audio Legend L800. https://www.themasterswitch.com/best-floorstanding-speakers
OR
Possibly the McIntosh XR100
Meh on a Rolling Stone reco list, it'd probably be painful to review it

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those reviewed very well here with @Matthew J Poes. In fact he bought them, so that's saying a lot in my opinion. They are however, not a typical speaker and have some specific requirements for placement, wiring and amplification. You'll want to make sure they'll work for your specific layout. Set up correctly tho, and I hear they're astounding. There was quite a lively discussion about them following the review post. I'm very interested in them and would love an opportunity to check them out.

HD suggested also, Philharmonic or Salk sound. In my opinion you cannot find better quality speakers for the money anywhere else. They're truly special speakers and I've never heard a single negative comment about them. If I had the budget, that's where I'd be shopping.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
I think all the options for speakers are good ones. It is the dominant factor in the sound of any system. By far. Like as in, 80% is the speakers in many situations. If the room is too awful that can dominate our perceptions instead, but most residential rooms aren’t too bad to begin with.

I will give one more plug. Perlisten. I liked them so much I became a dealer. The Polks are a very good speaker butI took them because they were such a special speaker. Their unique imaging ability. Without that superpower, they were a good but not standout speaker. Could you do better for the money? Not necessarily, but I am also not suggesting they are the deal or the century.

On the other hand, the Perlistens are an outstanding technical achievement. They are just a really unique and well engineered speaker. Excellent for 2-channel or home theater. I wasn’t a dealer of anything a few weeks back and took this brand on simply because I think it’s that amazing. I decided it would be worth it to have a brand of speakers I really felt confident in recommending and offering to folks when I consult with them.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
If I was getting the best stereo components go to Benchmark Media for their setup. I would consider pairing them to a Paradigm Founders Edition 100F

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If I was getting the best stereo components go to Benchmark Media for their setup. I would consider pairing them to a Paradigm Founders Edition 100F
Somebody on CanuckAudioMart is selling a week old pair for $500 under retail. Liked them so much he is upgrading to the 120F. :D

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Somebody on CanuckAudioMart is selling a week old pair for $500 under retail. Liked them so much he is upgrading to the 120F. :D
WHERE!!!! Seems that the speakers you mention are $5900 for the pair. yes that is $500 under retail, but gee, still expensive.

Last edited:
J

JengaHit

Audioholic
14K for the Mack integrated and 6K for the Polks, so your budget is 20K? If you have 20K to spend, great! But why not reverse the apportionment, as many have suggested? For a lot less than 14K, you could get any number of top-line speakers like the Revel F228be for 10K or the F208 for 5K (not to mention your Polks)--and have plenty left for not-ultra-priced 2.0 electronics. If you need power for a large room, there are many options:
- Monoprice Monolith 2x200w amp, $1099
- Outlaw Audio RR2160 mkii stereo receiver (110 w/ch 8 ohms, 165 w/ch 4 ohms), with analog bass mgt and pre-amp outs, $999
- Outlaw Audio 2220 200w monoblocks, $399 ea
- ATI AT54XNC amp (500 w/ch 8 ohms), $2695, w/7-yr warranty
- ATI 6000 2-ch amp (300 w/ch 8 ohms), $3595, w/7-yr warranty
- Benchmark AHB2 stereo/bridgeable amp (100 w/ch 8 ohms, 190 w/ch 4 ohms), $2995
- Parasound Halo A21+ amp (300 w/ch 8 ohms), $2995
- Parasound NewClassic 200 stereo pre-amp with analog bass mgt, $899
- Parasound Halo P6 pre-amp, with analog bass mgt, $1595
- Anthem STR Integrated (200 w/ch 8 ohms), with Anthem Room Correction and a built-in DAC, $4500

Any of those combos will put you at $14,500 or below, well below 20K.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis