Budget Subwoofer (Singapore) help

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I ended up buying this:
View attachment 63517
PB12-Plus.

Tested it, seemed great with minor cosmetic damage.

Took it home...and my daughter pushed the sub and trolley over! :eek: I dunno how a 3 yr old pushes over a trolley with a 56kg sub, but she did it.

Now, when I turn on the sub, I get an electrical buzz that didn't exist before, and there is a "pop" when i turn it on and off.

Help?
Might look inside for loose connections? Was it plugged in/on when it was knocked over?

ps congrats and bummer at same time!

BBHT

BBHT

Junior Audioholic
Nope. Nothing was connected at the time. It fell over onto my kid's trike, and bicycle, so it has a scuff on the piano black side as well (only cosmetic).

Is it safe to open up and look inside?

I am also trying to find the correct manual for this sub, to figure out how many port plugs for the different tunings.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Unplug it for a good while before taking it apart and be careful as you remove driver/amp to avoid damaging anything. May be limited slack in the wiring so be careful in that sense, too. Never looked for an SVS manual but assume they're on their site?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Nope. Nothing was connected at the time. It fell over onto my kid's trike, and bicycle, so it has a scuff on the piano black side as well (only cosmetic).

Is it safe to open up and look inside?

I am also trying to find the correct manual for this sub, to figure out how many port plugs for the different tunings.
Yes, you can open it up of it is unplugged. As usual there is no service manual available.

Unfortunately there is not likely to be anything you can service. Since it power up and is connected to the speaker there is likely internal damage to the amp.

If there is nothing obvious, I would contact SVS as see if they still offer service for that amp. At the age of the sub, this is unlikely.

However you can purchase another sub amp of the same power and use that. You will likely have to mod the enclosure to make it fit.

Alternatively you can leave the broken amp where it is, and fit speaker terminals on the back and use an external power amp like a Crown or similar.

Now you know there is a fault after a physical insult, do not power it up anymore as this could be dangerous.

I would open up the amp and look for signs of physical damage. I suspect there is, most likely in the power supply area, because that is where the heavy components are.

BBHT

BBHT

Junior Audioholic
Thanks guys for the quick response. I'll take a look tonight after work.

This sub was for sale, and the price was really good (locally here anyway). However, if it really doesn't work out, I'll go back to the DIY route.

Edit: @lovinthehd I am blind. I found the manual for it. I'll go through it to see if it can help with the problem.

Edit 2:This is a long shot, but I am using the SVS wireless soundpath device. Could that be the culprit? (grasping for straws here hoping that it is this, and not the amp)

Last edited:
BBHT

BBHT

Junior Audioholic
Apologies on the thread bump (pun intended).

I have located the source of the hum! It is from the SVS Wireless adapter.

If the transmitter is off / AVR is off, there is no hum. But once it is on, it sends a hum signal.

Now I have to work out why it is sending an electrical hum signal when it is on.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Here is a starter

If the transmitter is off / AVR is off, there is no hum. But once it is on, it sends a hum signal.

Now I have to work out why it is sending an electrical hum signal when it is on.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Well that information changes the situation. First off why are you using a wireless connection? If you are, don't. They are a lousy connection on every level.

Use a wired connection!

BBHT

BBHT

Junior Audioholic
Here is a starter

Yep. It was that. I was using my AVR to power the Wireless transmitter via USB. Plugged it directly into the wall, and no more hum!

@TLS Guy I am using the wireless transmitter for convenience (no RCA cable). I looked into people's feedback / reviews of the SVS unit, and nothing stood out to me as being a bad product.

BBHT

BBHT

Junior Audioholic
I placed the subwoofer in a corner, following the sub-crawl technique, and ran Audyssey.
Played some music (Decaf, Kendrick Lamar), and movies (Tron Legacy, GotG vol 2, Free Guy), and wow. Talk about rumble galore. I have not yet run it at loud volumes.

There is a lack of "punch"(?), and looking at the Audyssey graph, I seem to have a null around 40Hz (approx -18dB!), 70hz (-10dB) and possibly 80Hz.
I'll move the sub to another location on my next day off, and run Audyssey again.

EDIT: Here is the Audyssey graph
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-28 at 10.38.59.jpeg

But yeah, my audio world has been turned upside down with this sub. I am sure my upstairs, and downstairs neighbours must love me now. haha.

Last edited:
BBHT

BBHT

Junior Audioholic
Moved the sub around the house today, and ran Audyssey each time. I tried out some music, and movie content and am not really satisfied with any of the results.

Info:
The subwoofer PEQ is set to off, phase at 0, crossover disabled, volume/gain set to 9 o'clock position, ports / tuning set to 20Hz (16Hz and sealed are the other options).
Main speakers are Q Acoustics 3050i (tower), 3090i (centre), and 3010i (surrounds).

Audyssey calibration set the following:
Front Speakers: Large - Full Band
Center: Small - 40Hz Crossover
Surround: Small - 40Hz Crossover

Midrange compression manually turned off

Dynamic EQ: On
Dynamic Volume: Off
LFC: Off

LFE Crossover: 120Hz

Below are the results.

Position 1 (Left of the sofa)
Sofa Left.jpeg

Position 2 (Right of the sofa)
Sofa Right.jpeg

Position 3 (Left of the Front Left Speaker)
Front Left.jpeg

There is no space next to the front right speaker.
These are the three spots I can place the sub, plus the plot from the previous post.

Listening impression:
Position 1 was very easy to localise where the bass was coming from. The bass also had a "hollowness" to it. Not sure how to explain it.
Position 2 was better, but it just seemed quiet and not as well integrated with the rest of the speakers
Position 3 really blended well with the speakers, and bass thumps were good. But once it goes to the lower frequencies, it literally was silent.

I am thinking position 2 is going to be the best starting point. But where do I go from there?
Any help on improving the sound / experience would be very much appreciated!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Moved the sub around the house today, and ran Audyssey each time. I tried out some music, and movie content and am not really satisfied with any of the results.

Info:
The subwoofer PEQ is set to off, phase at 0, crossover disabled, volume/gain set to 9 o'clock position, ports / tuning set to 20Hz (16Hz and sealed are the other options).
Main speakers are Q Acoustics 3050i (tower), 3090i (centre), and 3010i (surrounds).

Audyssey calibration set the following:
Front Speakers: Large - Full Band
Center: Small - 40Hz Crossover
Surround: Small - 40Hz Crossover

Midrange compression manually turned off

Dynamic EQ: On
Dynamic Volume: Off
LFC: Off

LFE Crossover: 120Hz

Below are the results.

Position 1 (Left of the sofa)
View attachment 63593

Position 2 (Right of the sofa)
View attachment 63594

Position 3 (Left of the Front Left Speaker)
View attachment 63595
There is no space next to the front right speaker.
These are the three spots I can place the sub, plus the plot from the previous post.

Listening impression:
Position 1 was very easy to localise where the bass was coming from. The bass also had a "hollowness" to it. Not sure how to explain it.
Position 2 was better, but it just seemed quiet and not as well integrated with the rest of the speakers
Position 3 really blended well with the speakers, and bass thumps were good. But once it goes to the lower frequencies, it literally was silent.

I am thinking position 2 is going to be the best starting point. But where do I go from there?
Any help on improving the sound / experience would be very much appreciated!
Why such low crossovers on the center and surrounds? You can shape your low end to have a upwards tilt with a shelving filter but first which port plug configuration are you using?

Edit: I see 20hz..

BBHT

BBHT

Junior Audioholic
Why such low crossovers on the center and surrounds? You can shape your low end to have a upwards tilt with a shelving filter but first which port plug configuration are you using?

Edit: I see 20hz..
Yep. all ports open, and tuning set to 20Hz.

Audyessy set the crossover points for the centre and surround.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
BBHT

BBHT

Junior Audioholic
I spent some of Sunday afternoon tinkering on your feedback.

@everettT Alright. I'm learning! I had to Google Shelving filter, and found some useful info on ASR. Making that edit in the curve editor has really given substance to the low frequencies! Thank you for that. I am always afraid of tinkering with the curve editor incase I make the speaker / sub do something it doesn't like and breaks.

@lovinthehd I had no idea that the crossover was set by Denon and not Audyssey! I have updated the speakers to all be small, and set my mains to crossover at 40Hz (in a vain attempt to fill the null), and other speakers to 80Hz.

It's all starting to sound much better thanks to everyone's input.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

@everettT Alright. I'm learning! I had to Google Shelving filter, and found some useful info on ASR. Making that edit in the curve editor has really given substance to the low frequencies! Thank you for that. I am always afraid of tinkering with the curve editor incase I make the speaker / sub do something it doesn't like and breaks.

@lovinthehd I had no idea that the crossover was set by Denon and not Audyssey! I have updated the speakers to all be small, and set my mains to crossover at 40Hz (in a vain attempt to fill the null), and other speakers to 80Hz.

More Denon marketing folk who don't want to tell you your package/stuff is "small".....dumb but it is marketing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I'd still try a significantly higher xover on your mains, tho.

BBHT

BBHT

Junior Audioholic
I'd still try a significantly higher xover on your mains, tho.
Sure. I'll give it a try tonight.

EDIT: Would adjusting the phase or distance of the subwoofer change the measured responses? I am wondering if the calibration is not accurate.

EDIT 2: Tried lowering the main crossover. Didn't sound as good (to my damaged ears).

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sure. I'll give it a try tonight.

EDIT: Would adjusting the phase or distance of the subwoofer change the measured responses? I am wondering if the calibration is not accurate.

EDIT 2: Tried lowering the main crossover. Didn't sound as good (to my damaged ears).
Phase/distance can affect it but measuring would be best.

Lowered the main crossover? You weren't using one before, were you?

ps as far as main crossover I see you did say you were going to use 40/small..... I was suggesting you raise it....

BBHT

BBHT

Junior Audioholic
Phase/distance can affect it but measuring would be best.

Lowered the main crossover? You weren't using one before, were you?

ps as far as main crossover I see you did say you were going to use 40/small..... I was suggesting you raise it....
LoL! Yes. I meant raise. I went from 40hz to 80Hz. Didn't feel / sound right. I made a typo as I'm sleep deprived at the moment. The other option I can select is 60Hz, so I can try that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis