Bose is so much better the Paradigm!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NetGeek

Junior Audioholic
How to make BOSE sound better

When I was in the Marines in 84' stationed in Okinawa everyone was putting together really nice stereo systems you could buy at the PX or in town really cheap compared to the States. Bose was it for speakers and the 901's were the sh*t but hard to afford on a serviceman’s salary. Bose had some kind of an agreement with the Government and they pretty much had a monopoly on speakers.

Anyway we had just come back from a deployment in winter time Korea and were having a big bash in the barracks that involved a lot of drinking. Music for this gathering was being provided by a proud owner of a pair of Bose 501's and they were doing a decent job, especially considering the amount of alcohol we had consumed. Someone had consumed a little too much and mistook the BOSE 501's for the toilet and peed all over them, soaking those fine paper drivers. :eek: The next day we put the 501's out in the sun to dry out and when they were dry the 501's not only worked just fine, I SWEAR they sounded better! :D

So the hell with getting two EQ's for the 901's; just pee on the drivers and I swear as soon as they dry out you too will be experiencing the coveted chocolaty midranges! :D

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
It must of been the rice product in the Japanese Beer. :) I was in the Army, we would have urinated in the Banjo! :D :D
NetGeek said:
When I was in the Marines in 84' stationed in Okinawa everyone was putting together really nice stereo systems you could buy at the PX or in town really cheap compared to the States. Bose was it for speakers and the 901's were the sh*t but hard to afford on a serviceman’s salary. Bose had some kind of an agreement with the Government and they pretty much had a monopoly on speakers.

Anyway we had just come back from a deployment in winter time Korea and were having a big bash in the barracks that involved a lot of drinking. Music for this gathering was being provided by a proud owner of a pair of Bose 501's and they were doing a decent job, especially considering the amount of alcohol we had consumed. Someone had consumed a little too much and mistook the BOSE 501's for the toilet and peed all over them, soaking those fine paper drivers. :eek: The next day we put the 501's out in the sun to dry out and when they were dry the 501's not only worked just fine, I SWEAR they sounded better! :D

So the hell with getting two EQ's for the 901's; just pee on the drivers and I swear as soon as they dry out you too will be experiencing the coveted chocolaty midranges! :D

D

Die Hard Yammy

Junior Audioholic
Hey NetGeek! That last bit about peeing on the drivers was by far the funniest thing I've ever read here on Audioholics. I would have responded faster but I've been too busy crying from laughter.

Keep the A-1 material coming, thanks for the side-splitter!

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....I suggest we're ALL lovers of music and seekers of live presence in our listening theaters....there are no enemies here......we just broke for the day on the project, and this morning was the real work....after I posted around 1 central, the only thing to tie up was the I'll have my people get with your people and the like........I'm excited about what may happen when a two EQ report comes in....and let me say this....I am in no way saying a SB setup will make Martin whatevers go to Ebay on the block....I'm saying a SB setup positioned correctly and damped correctly, will sound night and day different with two Bose 901 EQ's....and the more I think about it, it could not be bad to put two inline with one feeding the other, whether on a tape monitor or between the preparation and amplification of the signal....just as long as it's before the amp....but you want them to where you can add the second to AB....what are these Martin whatevers??....somebody said they didn't make good window planters because they're shaped funny....another guy said his sounded a little better when he cut the top 1/3 off with a chain saw and hung it on the wall....any reports?......"IF" the only thing to establish here is 4 Bose 901's sound better with 2 Bose 901 EQ's, I'm home, Gentlemen....and ladies of course....not much chance of that....they buy the Bose cubes/sub and are done with it....hey, they wouldn't buy them if they didn't sound really good to them....I've seen women display a HUGE smile upon first hearing Bose speakers in a, sure, Bose don't hate money, sound chamber in a store.....and Bose will do everything they can to help the consumer make their purchase of Bose sound the best....I'm going to tell you guys how I made 4 901's work REAL good for me later....the key would be coming up VERY slowly with the volume just like I did.....

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....your attention, please....I just got one of them instant message things within AudioHolics turf that asked me did I work for Bose.....on the premise anyone else might wonder, let me say....my name is Ronnie Smith, I live in North Little Rock, Arkinsaw, and work for Union Pacific RR NLR....address only by email scrutinization, and my shoe size is generally 9 1/2....this is the truth....Bose may be about to sell some speakers, though, and bully for them, 901's are quality.....gone for about 4 hours......

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
mulester7 said:
.....your attention, please....I just got one of them instant message things within AudioHolics turf that asked me did I work for Bose.....on the premise anyone else might wonder, let me say....my name is Ronnie Smith, I live in North Little Rock, Arkinsaw, and work for Union Pacific RR NLR....address only by email scrutinization, and my shoe size is generally 9 1/2....this is the truth....Bose may be about to sell some speakers, though, and bully for them, 901's are quality.....gone for about 4 hours......
How can you spell your state name wrong, twice? It's Arkansas. Think of Kansas, then put an AR in front of it. You are not doing justice to the Bose elite, my man.

OK, now I get it...

http://writing2.richmond.edu/spirit/archive/turkeytomark.html

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....sorry, guys, don't have time tonight to do a post justice on positioning the 4 901's.....will have all tomorrow afternoon....the volume is not necessarily louder with 2 eq's....what you hear is twice refined presence....and sure, more watts are being used by the amp with boosts on the highest highs and mainly from the boosting of the very lowest lows....the midrange never actually moves at all....using nine hundred and one Bose 901 eq's has been suggested....two will do nicely......catch you fellow heatherns tomorrow....busy the rest of the evening....yeah, the SoundKing 10 ga. 2-conductor wire showed today....I got to hear it being used on these mains asap.....

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....well, it only gets better....and here's the good news....the Sound King 10 ga. twists down perfectly on the tip to fit wonderfully in the holes of the output posts of a Crown K2 with a quarter making a perfect screwdriver.....with this 10 ga. SK, there are 417 SOFT individual strands WELL protected by thick SOFT clear plastic with great +'s printed in black on one side, and -'s in black on the other side.....you go prepare the other end with confidence....no kidding, the sound is cleaner and balanced better on accented pops....you can tell the wire is quicker and more responsive....what?....what wire was I using?....ashamed to say....12 ga. aluminum....I know, I know, increase in voltage as per guaranteed resistance....now I'm free takin' deep breaths.....waiting on 8 ga. SoundKing wire for the subs now to show....yeah, 12 ga. aluminum there too as we speak....oh well, they get 10 ga SK tomorrow....another pair of TL's coming will use what I cut for the subs tomorrow of the 10 ga....the subs will definitely get the 8 ga SK because the hole in the post of the subs is even larger than the K2's....Clint, my heart swells with joy tonight just to be an American, haha....pretty much really mean that, though....see you heatherns tomorrow....I'm listening to just these TL's for awhile....amazing presence and cleanness....what?....yeah, I sure will put them up against some Martin whatevers sight unseen....

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
yeah, I sure will put them up against some Martin whatevers sight unseen....
You can argue about bose all you want but there comes a point were you should shut up because now you are talking out off your ***.

12 ga. aluminum
How stupid are you?

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Privateer said:
You can argue about bose all you want but there comes a point were you should shut up because now you are talking out off your ***.

How stupid are you?
You just can't help but make friends, can you? Why so hostile all the time?

Drink a beer! Heck, I'll drink one for you. :D

Shinerman

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....Privateer, I apologize....that Lake Ignorance thing was low and despicable....or was it?....no, it really wasn't....we've all stood on it's banks and got a hook wet in every area....to not know reflects in no way the ability to learn........these Martin Logan speakers evidently are considered to possess greatness....I shop for speakers by presence that holds me spellbound....do they do that?....of them I fish in Lake Ignorance....but Privateer, I was referring to the SpeakerArt speakers I have as going up against the Martin Logans, not the Bose....

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Privateer said:

How stupid are you?
....which day of the week?....and the aluminum wire was free....which being 12 gauge was not a great amount of resistance.....

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....the perfect room for a SB System is 12 feet wide at one end....if the room is longer than it is wide, the better, but let me emphasize, 12X12 could be better than the room I had which was about 25 feet long, but I doubt it as per sine wave possibilities....or at least, that's what I was told by someone who knows this stuff....let's do it one one step at a time on the 4 901 layout....here's a question, does the present Bose equalizer model still boost the sound 18db at both ends?....anyhow, this post we'll call the room....I had paneling on the wall with overhead sheetrock....I don't see any reason sheetrock on the walls would matter, but it could, I don't know, on that I fish in Lake you know....for the room to be 12 by longer says your overhead ceiling joists are "probably" parallel with the end of the room you're going to use....that's what you want, or you would have to hope for luck with them running long to the end you will use........I'm not wasting my time....someone is going to hear it or bust soon....don't be afraid at all of putting 2 901 eq's on 901's....apply both after the source signal has reached the pre-amp and before it reaches the amp....I remember the 901 equalizer had female RCA pin jacks on the back to tie in a high impedence source....I never did....had a second tape monitor for that 15 inch per second reel-to-reel I had....weren't those neat at the time?.....I guess I'm asking that to fellow old farts, huh?....more on SBSystem later.....

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....note....16 inch centers on the ceiling joists that are parallel to the end of the room you are going to use....I would have to ask someone to go into the attic and affix a nailer piece of 2x4 if the centers were 24 inches apart....

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Well hot jumpin' butterballs...

...my fairly pro-Bose post escaped unscathed!!!

jimHJJ(...was it something I said...)

C

clayman88

Junior Audioholic
Victim's Story

Guys, I'm here to admit that I fell victim to the treachory of the Bose sound room a year or two ago. My wife and I were shopping for a small (less than 1K) home theater system. I had no intention of listening to the Bose, but those darn salesman convinced us to listen to the new Amazing Bose 3-2-1 system. I have to admit that it did sound really good. But, now I realize that the conditions were a little prepped. Being in that tiny room with the Bose system cranked up to earth shaking levels did impress me. Over the last couple months I've been doing alot of reading and research online and my eyes have been opened up to a whole new world of "high-end" audio equipment.

I'll be honest, I think it sounds decent for movies and music, but after hearing a couple B&W & Paradigm setups I now know it doesn't even compare. Oh, well...I've learned my lesson. :)

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I got shuffled into the "Bose Room" once, too. It was very impressive, but if anyone noticed, they don't use 901s or any of those cubes, they use conventional speakers! And big ones at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis