Blue Jeans Strikes Back

M

maggie

Enthusiast
99 of 100

add me to the list of 99 of 100. if needed start a legal donation fund raiser. crush the infidels.
Maggie

S

Simoncable

Enthusiast
Will do. I pretty well intend to conduct this thing out in the open. We don't have any secrets in this matter.

Thanks to everyone; your supportive comments, e-mails and phone calls have all been extremely encouraging to us...

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable
Well done. I admire you now, brave and smart man.
By the way, how can I send emails to you?

S

Simoncable

Enthusiast
Actually, there are some things that people could do to help. Start looking for printed publications that show products with the same designs as those in the Monster patents, where the publication date is at least one year prior to the patent application date. When those patents were examined at the PTO, the examiner searched for related patents, didn't find anything substantially the same, and let the patent issue. So look in old catalogs, magazines, company brochures, etc.; places that the PTO would not look. Don't limit the search to audio- where else might similar connectors be used?

If the case goes to court, Blue Jeans would likely do this (search for prior art) anyway in conjunction with asserting that the patents are invalid. If it doesn't go to court, any third party could still file a reexamination of any or all of those patents, depending on how good the newly found prior art is. And how much they hate Monster (I had never heard of them until today, and they've already pissed me off)

I don't know this field, but I know a bad design patent when I see one. And I'm thinking that it should not be so hard to find prior art to invalidate D456363 at least. For the others, put your years of audio-addiction to work and find some prior art.

I agree that it's a very good idea.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Monster Cable:
:scratches butt while thinking hard: OOH! Oxygen free copper! We use oxygen free copper! Those other guys are supposed to have all kinds of oxygen in their cables! BJC is blatantly copying off of us!!

BJC: Wanna tell me how you vacuum sealed your cable?
and.... I use Argon because it's INERT!!! TAKE THAT! :p :D

B

beyond 1000

Enthusiast
I've bought Monster Cable before and I think they are a ripoff. After reading about all the frivolous lawsuits they bring with the WORD monster, I hope the whole company just TANKS and all of their employees are forced to find jobs elsewhere. This is an unconcionable company who lives on a daily Egofest.

I encourage all of you to spread the true word out there to NEVER EVER purchase another product from these infidels. I sincerely wish with all my heart they go right out of buisness where they belong.

Embarass the hell out of them in your fight.

My next cables WILL be Blue Jeans.

J

jrgreene1968

Enthusiast
i have replaced every cable in my system with bjc since this all started...they are a great company to deal with...maybe monsters letter will do nothing but better bjc!

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I can't help but wonder how they get oxygen into the copper. You can't tell I didn't do very well in Chemistry.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Why? Was there something wrong with your other cables?

Jack
Totally agree. Let's not go bersek on buying blue jeans. Hell my subwoofer cable is from Monster. Was bought 3 years ago when I didn't know a lot about audio. Still works good. I simply won't buy Monster again.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I am in complete agreement with mike c and rnatalli, above, on this--that's exactly my point. Monster's the one coming to the table, accusing me of something and trying to get me to do what it wants, so it can take the time to prove it.

I wasn't thinking of laches (I'm more of an estoppel guy, when it comes to ancient equitable doctrines...). The information is relevant in multiple ways. How did Monster previously construe the scope of its patents and trademarks? What types of connectors has it previously contended constitute infringement? What arguments has Monster presented which indicate what it considers the core characteristics of its designs to be? Have connectors that look similar to these been alleged to constitute infringement of the expired patent? What happened when they sued? Have courts ruled on the scope of the patents and trademarks? You get the drift--information like that is very useful in evaluating a claim.

As for it being my responsibility to check--well, see the first point above. Mind you, what a good lawyer does is ask the question (if they sue me, I get to ask it in discovery and the court will force them to answer if need be), and then ALSO investigate it, to be sure that he's not being lied to. But there is no harm in asking, and this is one of the areas where Monster is very likely to be sitting on secrets. In particular, since Monster threatens everybody, all of the time, it's very likely that they've contended that a similar connector fell within the scope of that expired patent--a fact they'd have a really hard time explaining away.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable
Are you sure their legal eagles forgot to mention that they think your RCA plugs rip the ground ferrule out of car stereo amplifiers? I've seen that happen many times, to many brands of amplifiers. Also, their 1/4" plugs are known to basically gut the input jacks on many guitar amps.

Your comment "Indeed, the less my customers think my products resemble Monster's, in form or in function, the better." may remind them.

I know one dealer that stopped carrying Munster Cables and they were the single store seller of their products in the country. They switched to Audio Quest. Go figure.

Edited to say, Oops! I may have misspelled their name. Sorry.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It looks like the Monster fanboys are developing a strategy.

From Slashdot comments:

"Monster provided him with enough information (i.e., a reference to a patent, a reference to a trademark, and a reference to one of his products) for him to determine if he is in fact violating their rights. He responds by asking for a bunch of things they have no need and/or no ability to provide him at this stage (e.g., a list of their own products made that use a design patent's features, an exact legal description of what exact parts of his product infringe, etc.)

Many comments have heralded him as a hero for calling out some inadequacy in the Monster letter, but in reality, the information he has is enough for a skilled lawyer to determine if he is likely to be infringing any rights that Monster has. All of the design information about his cables and logos should be known to him or other people in his company, and all of the patent information and trademark information (including the correspondences he requested) is available for him and all of the public to view in high quality. Before discovery has taken place, he is in a much better position to make an argument that his products don't infringe than Monster is in to make an argument that his products do infringe because he knows more about his own products than they do and all of Monster's legal claims are rooted in patents/trademarks that are publicly available. The fact that he doesn't know how to find the public information indicates that being whatever type of lawyer he once was does not amount to sufficient qualifications to defend himself against this potential lawsuit.

He has not provided any legally sufficient grounds to rebut anything Monster said. He will probably antagonize them by requesting ridiculous things from their already busy employees when he should be getting those things himself. He will probably give them added confidence by responding in a way that shows both his ignorance of the subject matter and his overconfidence/willingness to fight back without proper legal council. I expect this not to be pretty for him in the future and hope others talk to a skilled IP lawyer before trying something like this."

I suspect that if they want to ratchet this up a level they will threaten a defamation suit because you allowed the letter to be posted publicy and in the letter (a) made an insinuation about Monster's off-shore activities, as well as (b) made an "observation" regarding Monster's "hit and run" bullying tactics.

In my opinion this would be more BS on their part, but it's more likely they'll continue to threaten BJC before they consider backing off.

By the way, I am a prior (and future) satisfied customer. Good luck!
Whoever wrote that must have missed the small detail of the 20+ years of legal experience, while they were looking up the definition of 'ignorant'.

What is the rule- "If there's any truth in the claim, it's not defamation"?

Did they sue REM for their 'Monster' album? Have they sued monster.com?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis