Blown Tweeter on Audio Physics Classic 20

M

Mr. GRATIUS

Audiophyte
Hi every Audioholics!
I need a replacement for my tweeter but it is hard to find any information on net.
It has a label saying:
APH - T3158/8
8 Ohm
IMG_20240907_160451_copy_1094x1459.jpg
IMG_20240907_170648_copy_1094x1459.jpg

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The situation is that you would need the exact same tweeter to replace it. It seems that there is none available and no other driver will do the job. In a speaker cabinet, the passive crossover is designed for the proper matching with a woofer or a mid-range driver, and this is the reason why you always need to replace with the exact same item.

I guess that you have been using these speakers for awhile. It looks like you have speaker replacement as part of your future expenses unfortunately.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi every Audioholics!
I need a replacement for my tweeter but it is hard to find any information on net.
It has a label saying:
APH - T3158/8
8 OhmView attachment 69284View attachment 69285
Have you contacted Audio Physic? They seem to be in business still. Where are you located? They seem to have dealers all over the world. This is the US dealer.

The drivers for Audio Physic speakers are made by Wavecore of China. They are a pretty bottom end manufacturer.

I suspect that this is basically your driver, but of course I can not be certain.

There is a very good chance this is your Tweeter available from Parts Express for $80.00

I would say the chances are high that is the tweeter you need and will be a drop in replacement.

M

Mr. GRATIUS

Audiophyte
Have you contacted Audio Physic? They seem to be in business still. Where are you located? They seem to have dealers all over the world. This is the US dealer.

The drivers for Audio Physic speakers are made by Wavecore of China. They are a pretty bottom end manufacturer.

I suspect that this is basically your driver, but of course I can not be certain.

There is a very good chance this is your Tweeter available from Parts Express for $80.00

I would say the chances are high that is the tweeter you need and will be a drop in replacement.
Thanks a lot for your reply.
Then chances are woofer is from same manufacturer?
I have not had these for a long time but got them for free and would like them repair ed.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Then chances are woofer is from same manufacturer?
I have not had these for a long time but got them for free and would like them repair ed.
As far as I can tell all Audio Physic drivers are sourced from Wavecor.

I have at least 95% confidence I have identified your replacement tweeter.

They put an antireflective pad on the faceplate, and you can buy one here.

You got the speakers free, so for $100.00 you can most likely repair the broken speaker.

I would say $100.00 is worth the gamble.

M

Mr. GRATIUS

Audiophyte
IT is, for sure. But I can not order before i know i can get a replacement for the woofer also. So i need to find a replacement for one of those too, unfortunately. Thanks for Your Good advice, i will use them, for sure.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
IT is, for sure. But I can not order before i know i can get a replacement for the woofer also. So i need to find a replacement for one of those too, unfortunately. Thanks for Your Good advice, i will use them, for sure.
I thought it was just the tweeter that you needed. If the woofer still works, the drop-in tweeter replacement should pair with it like the original.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You claimed it was the tweeter that was blown. What is the exact problem. I have a feeling you are a bumbler with no clue. Now I'm suspicious this may be a crossover problem and nothing to do with the drivers.

Before ordering any drivers, you are going to have to get your multimeter out and start checking out the crossover.

M

Mr. GRATIUS

Audiophyte
The loadspeakers has a defective tweeter as said before and in addition to that i found also a woofer to be "blown". This means, i also need a replacement for the woofer.
"Bumbler with No clue?". Crossover are already measured with Oscilloscope and they Works fine, No problem with them.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The loadspeakers has a defective tweeter as said before and in addition to that i found also a woofer to be "blown". This means, i also need a replacement for the woofer.
"Bumbler with No clue?". Crossover are already measured with Oscilloscope and they Works fine, No problem with them.
All you have given me is one front picture and an Audio Physic number on the magnet. It does state the woofer is four ohm.

Ask the manufacturer and start there.

If they are no help, then buy a woofer tester and measure the T/S parameters of the driver and match them up with woofer T/S specs of Wavecore woofers on the Parts Express site.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis