D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I'm sorry. Should have been more clear. A while back I thought you mentioned cogs but may have confused that with cassette.

Also it looks like my cassette might be a sram. As long as its an 8-speed and 11-32t, will a shimano or off-brand fit?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was confused when you said cogs? I assumed I'd just buy a new cassette? That and chain, crankset, rear derailleur. Anything else you think I need replacing?
I didn't mention cogs in what you quoted.....but when I mention cogs I'm just referring to the cassette and to differentiate from the chainrings up front (and many cassettes only have a few loose cogs, if any, altho sometimes those loose cogs can give you some flexibility in choosing gear ratios).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Been a while but there shouldn't be any issue swapping between different cassettes from Shimano/SRAM for 8speed setups, either should be fine on that type of hub body (and there used to be a few other choices, too).

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Any flat repair kits to recommend? I once had the non-glue patches and the kept coming off. If I remember right with glue use a lighter to it for a second then put the patch on as a tip.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nah, no particular kit recommendation, the glue always seems to be the weak point in all of them for a few reasons. Whatever the local shop has when I need one is good enough (but that's pretty rare these days, as am tubeless on my two mainly used bikes). I've used the Park patches with the adhesive backing, but didn't really care for those.

Vulcanizing a patch isn't a bad idea as long as you don't make the hole bigger :) There was this time I tried that on a water bed....

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Went with Shimano on all the drive train parts. Now I have to figure out how to put it together LOL. :)

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
A hand pump you can recommend, or do they all suck?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have an old Silca pump and a newer Zefal. Haven't shopped in a while....

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I use a Topeak mini pump for my backpack, this one looks nice https://www.jensonusa.com/Topeak-Joe-Blow-Max-HP-Floor-Pump altho if I didn't have a compressor I'd probably look for something like this for my tubeless tire setups https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFAK4QX?
A bit big for me. Think I'd stick with the hand pump. I have a Lezyne floor pump.

Good advice on wiping the chain with a towel often. Saves on having to scrub. Also 60psi. I do about 65 for starters as I don't want to have to keep refilling. Makes a much more comfortable ride, and I don't have shocks.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Yes flats have stopped. I was over 75psi when it happened. Some tubes I was able to do 80 without any problem.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Did get a Topeak pump. There were so many specs my head started spinning. Dual pump and goes to about 100psi under $20.

I may be looking into a moped and small truck down the line. Obviously a bike limits your job potential. One for the warm season and the other for winter if all works well. I'd keep my commuter and consider selling the fatty. Keep the stationary bike for HIIT (high intensity interval training) or casual peddling. It's heavy but gym grade so should last forever.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like your pump shopping scored. I rarely commuted to work via bike due a variety of reasons but tended to keep a second set of clothes at the office for when I did, but lack of a shower after riding was still annoying. An e-bike would be preferable to a mo-ped in my mind, still get some pedaling but not so sweaty :) Never did use my indoor trainer much, just don't like sweating that much indoors (feel same way about gyms generally).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis