Best speakers for classical music

X

Xytech

Audioholic Intern
Hi All,

I am trying to decide on a speaker upgrade and any advice would be useful. To give you an idea of my present situation, I am using a fairly decent Pioneer amp (VSX-520K), with not so decent speakers… (Dream acoustics, aprox $100 off ebay). These speakers have actually been surprisingly decent, but are giving way and I want to upgrade to something decent.

What I am looking for is something that will above all play classical music well. This includes chamber music, symphonies, operas, etc etc. I have had a look at Axiom m60 and m80 speakers but have not really looked beyond this so far. Any advice therefore, would be useful. A few considerations to guide your thoughts:

- I am running a 2.0 or 2.1 setup (not sure about getting a Sub yet)
-These speakers are used solely within my (smallish) bedroom
-The volume is consequently not ever ridiculously loud but is always at a decent level
-I don’t really want to upgrade the amp unless absolutely necessary. It is rated at 6 ohm, output per channel 130 watts
-Budget is under $2000 (Australian)
-I would preference floor standing speakers over bookshelves as I have the space and like the sound/size.

The problem with the Axiom m80 is that they seem to want a 4 ohm amp – I am not sure how much of an impediment this is/what would happen if I plugged those speakers into my sub.

Anyway, any advice you could provide would be fantastic.

Many thanks,
Xytech

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
For music, I prefer floorstanding speakers as well. I have a sub but only use it for movies. You might want to consider the PSB Image T-6. They run around $1200 in the US so they should fit your budget in Australia. I listen primarily to classical (and jazz as well). They are terrific speakers.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I have had a look at Axiom m60 and m80 speakers but have not really looked beyond this so far.
I doubt the axioms are a good choice for classical. They seem "voiced" for pop music.

- I am running a 2.0 or 2.1 setup (not sure about getting a Sub yet)
-These speakers are used solely within my (smallish) bedroom
-The volume is consequently not ever ridiculously loud but is always at a decent level
-I don’t really want to upgrade the amp unless absolutely necessary. It is rated at 6 ohm, output per channel 130 watts
-Budget is under $2000 (Australian)
-I would preference floor standing speakers over bookshelves as I have the space and like the sound/size.
I would get two of these:
http://philharmonicaudio.com/philharmonic1.html

I think you will be very satisfied and it should come within your budget.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have never heard of the Philharmonic audios but those graphs are impressive. I also agree the PSB Image T6 (4 to 8 ohms so let's call it 6) are good for classical music and they are probably okay with the VSX-520 in a 2.1 setup in a small room whereas the Axiom will likely need a bigger amp.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Getting the Philharmonics to Australia might be fairly expensive. so I dunno...something he should definitely look into though.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
How about the Philharmonic 2? They're at the top of his budget. I'm really interested in those speakers as well. I would love to hear them.
Although I would love to sell the classical music lover a pair of Philharmonics, shipping down under would not be feasible. Maybe in a couple of years I'll have world-wide distribution.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Although I would love to sell the classical music lover a pair of Philharmonics, shipping down under would not be feasible. Maybe in a couple of years I'll have world-wide distribution.
Thats one of the reasons I love AH forums. One guy drops obscure ;) speaker brand and next we have CEO & Owner of this company answering questions.

Big Thumbs up Dennis !

Proud to Audioholic!

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Thats one of the reasons I love AH forums. One guy drops obscure ;) speaker brand and next we have CEO & Owner of this company answering questions.

Big Thumbs up Dennis !

Proud to Audioholic!
Hey--obscure speakers, obscure forum...it all makes sense to me. Thanks for the thumbs up.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
To the OP: where in australia are you located? We might be able to find a Revel F12 dealer near you.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Another vote for the PSB IMage T6. I have the previous model , the T45s and they are absolutely great with classical music.

X

Xytech

Audioholic Intern
Dear All,

Many thanks for the thoughts so far. In particular, thanks for your comment Dennis! It unfortunately makes me sad that I am not able to purchase speakers from such a decent person, but perhaps one day!

So far the PSB Image T-6 seem to be getting a fair bit of support. Anything else I should consider? For reference, it appears that these will cost $2000 AU, and the aforementioned Focals seem to go for $2700. The thing I liked about the axiom m80 was that in total including shipping to AU it was only $1670 - there appeared to be no substantial markup as it ships directly from the manufacturer.

Any further thoughts would be great. I am located in Melbourne, Australia.

Edit: Just to provide some price information on speakers I have been considering:

Wharfedale Diamond 10.7: $1,539.00
PSB Image T6: $1,999
KEF Q700 / Q900: $2100 / $2500
Magneplanar 1.7: $2800
Axiom M60 / M80: $1,257.00 / $1,668.00 (shipped direct from manufacturer)

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I would rate them according my order of preference:
1) Tie - KEF Q700 / Q900: $2100 / $2500 & PSB Image T6: $1,999
2) Wharfedale Diamond 10.7: $1,539.00
3) Magneplanar 1.7: $2800 (due to limited off-axis response)

and forget the axioms entirely...
Axiom M60 / M80: $1,257.00 / $1,668.00 (shipped direct from manufacturer)

I'd also check if you could get Aperion Verus speakers and SVS MTS-02 series. I know SVS has local AU dealers, but not sure if they carry MTS-02 speakers...

Last edited:
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
The M80's to Australia are $1,668.00 PLUS there is a 5% duty and 10% VAT charged added to that. You are getting close to $1900-$2000. What the M80's are composed of and with the vinyl finish they are not a $2000 speaker IMO.

If you are looking for a neutral speaker, I know Axioms are not as neutral and natural sounding as the PSB's and KEF's. But if you like a forward sounding speaker with an upper midrange and treble presence then you might like the Axioms. The premium to Australia is quite steep.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
To the OP: where in australia are you located? We might be able to find a Revel F12 dealer near you.
Yeah, the F12's response is +/- 1.0dB from 58Hz to 18kHz according to the company's spec.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would get either the Revel F12 or the KEF Q900!

The KEF Q900 has been reviewed and measured by both Stereophile and Home Theater Magazine. Both show that the speaker measurements of the Q900 is superb!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
There are limited speaker choices in Australia and Prices are high.

British brands dominate the Australian market, which for the classical music lover is a good thing.

In your budget in your country, I would recommend a good bookshelf.

Top choices would be ATC SCM 11 This speaker is $2000 per pair in Australia.

This i series speaker from PMC is a little above your budget at $2250.

This latter is a labyrinth, and will have a surprisingly extended bass response.

Both of these companies make superbly balanced speakers, that are well above the rest of the pack. I regard them as easily the two best speaker manufacturers in the world. Studios of the world agree. The BBC use exclusively PMC monitors with good reason.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis