Best High End Floor Standing Speakers under $2,000

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
Clicked on the link for the SongTower review - a whole 12 sentences split among 3 paragraphs. With in-depth reviews like that, how can you doubt their lists? I'm gonna see if they need a new writer - I could review every speaker on the planet in 6 months if that's all they require.
yeah... the reviews leave a little somthing to be desired. A lot of great speakers are certainly overlooked. Not quite the same standard at audioholics works at.

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Placing the tweeter in the center of the mid-woofer is pretty common in car audio, but this is the only company ive seen to do it in home audio.
KEF is one of the few companies that does this, it's called a coaxial mounted tweeter. KEF argues that by placing the tweeter in the middle of the mid woofer that they will perform more coherently. In a traditional design the mid woofer is higher or lower than the tweeter meaning your ears won't be on the level of both of the drivers. In nearly all cases it's important for your ear to be approximately on the same level as the tweeter. A mid woofer's dispersion is usually greater than a tweeter thus making coaxially mounted tweeters more of an oddity than the standard.

A significantly cheaper use of the coaxial design is was implemented by Radiient for a low cost line of speakers. Best Buy sells a black version of the Radiient bookshelf monitor lacking a super tweeter under the Insignia brand. Radiient seems to have dissapeared off the public map while Best Buy continues to sell the NS-B2111. Initially the NS-B2111 was sold for $50 a pair and went on sale commonly for $35. They sold like hot cakes and Best Buy could not keep them in stock. They increased the price to just over $80, they rarely go on sale. Even for $80 they are a good deal, although I think it's pretty poor business etiquette to release a product for one price then raise it later because they think they can get more.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia®+-+6-1/2"+Bass-Reflex+Bookshelf+Speakers+(Pair)/7705307.p?skuId=7705307&id=1138085354138

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
Keeping the tweeter and mid on the same plane certainly makes sense, but i guess my question is why other companies dont do it too? Is it because you cant isolate the tweeter in its own enclosure like a more conventional design?

Or even like B&W does on its higher level speakers where the tweeter is almost isolated from the rest of the speaker.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Keeping the tweeter and mid on the same plane certainly makes sense, but i guess my question is why other companies dont do it too? Is it because you cant isolate the tweeter in its own enclosure like a more conventional design?

Or even like B&W does on its higher level speakers where the tweeter is almost isolated from the rest of the speaker.
KEF has placed faith in the design and used it countless times, it's possible that this route has saved them money in the long run because it simplifies cross-over design. Much like Class D is a more efficient design for amplification the majority of manufacturers still use Class A/B in their amplifiers and receivers. B&W, for example, probably uses a more sophisticated cross-over to overcome what the KEF uniQ driver tried to accomplish.

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
KEF has placed faith in the design and used it countless times, it's possible that this route has saved them money in the long run because it simplifies cross-over design. Much like Class D is a more efficient design for amplification the majority of manufacturers still use Class A/B in their amplifiers and receivers. B&W, for example, probably uses a more sophisticated cross-over to overcome what the KEF uniQ driver tried to accomplish.
I was tooling around on Pioneers website last night and came across their TAD speaker line, which incidentally also features coaxial tweeters. It lends credibility to the design if pioneer is willing to use it on their flagship speakers. Although at roughly $60,000 a pair, it would take an act of god to get them in my living room...

heres the link. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/Speakers/Enhanced+Content/TAD

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I was tooling around on Pioneers website last night and came across their TAD speaker line, which incidentally also features coaxial tweeters. It lends credibility to the design if pioneer is willing to use it on their flagship speakers. Although at roughly $60,000 a pair, it would take an act of god to get them in my living room...

heres the link. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/Speakers/Enhanced+Content/TAD
or a winning lottery ticket!! :D :p

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I have heard the Aperion 6T. It wasn't bad in the sense that it didn't do anything glaringly wrong. But in my opinion, it is not in the same class as the SongTower.
+1, though I did find the bass on the 6T's to be a little boomy.

Clicked on the link for the SongTower review - a whole 12 sentences split among 3 paragraphs. With in-depth reviews like that, how can you doubt their lists? I'm gonna see if they need a new writer - I could review every speaker on the planet in 6 months if that's all they require.
LMAO! :D Maybe I should apply; I can certainly write more than 12 sentences during a "speaker review."

R

rize

Audiophyte
They have a paradigm dealer called "Promusica" as well thats down town near the Lincoln Park area. I didn't really like the dealer though because they are extremely biased. I can't recall the guys name who I was speaking to, but I actually thought he was a douche. !
You're being too polite about audio dealers. They're reptilian c..k s......s with lies spewing from both sides of their pie hole.

C

coilman

Audioholic Intern
where does imagine's rate

hey wondering how does psb imagines rate against this group. seems like at 2k they would get a mention--would be very interested in comparsion to songtowers or others in this class. or am i mixing apples and oranges:D:cool:

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
You are not mixing apples and oranges, but to be honest, you'll get nothing more than mostly opinions here on the forums. In my opinion it is better to take the suggestions of everyone, research them and narrow down your choices, then go out and audition everything left on your list of potentials. In short, use measurements, build quality, reputation, price, etc to help narrow the choices, then use yours ears to make the final decision.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
hey wondering how does psb imagines rate against this group. seems like at 2k they would get a mention--would be very interested in comparsion to songtowers or others in this class. or am i mixing apples and oranges:D:cool:
The Imagines have garnered many great reviews in the audio industry. PSB speakers are well built (as an owner I can atest to their build quality) using the NRC's acoustic facilities to help "shape" their sound. You'll have to audition for yourself to see if the PSBs have the sound you like.

Buying speakers is highly subjective and is a best fit kind of purchase. All speakers listed in this thread are good solid quality speakers. Its about choosing the speakers that sound best to you. We all hear things differently.
For instance, when I purchased my Image series, I listened to Paradigm Monitor series and found their bass sloppy compared to the Image series. The Axioms were overly bright to my ears but the friend I had with me thought the Axioms sound just right. The Image series offered a sound that agreed with me.

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
I spent some time at Saturday Audio Exchange in Chicago that had PSB's this weekend, and got to see the imagines and the synchrony 1 series. The salesguy i was talking with, for an hour and a half no less, strongly recommended them.

The one thing that stood out to me was just how low the tweeter on the synchrony ones is. I would say its about a third down from the top, which seemed low to me. But then again they come very highly regarded, so what do i know?

If anyone in the northern illinois southern wisconsin area have a chance, i would highly recommend visiting the Saturday Audio Exchange. They truly had a remarkable selection of new and used equipment. Lots of vintage stuff from tube amps to jukeboxes. very cool indeed.

K

Kaz-maN

Junior Audioholic
You are not mixing apples and oranges, but to be honest, you'll get nothing more than mostly opinions here on the forums. In my opinion it is better to take the suggestions of everyone, research them and narrow down your choices, then go out and audition everything left on your list of potentials. In short, use measurements, build quality, reputation, price, etc to help narrow the choices, then use yours ears to make the final decision.
OMG thank you! I pm'd the person that started this thread a week or so ago about the samething you're talking about. You are the first person that hasn't cramed something down someones throat. I'm not trying to be offensive to anyone on here, but just give suggestions not opinions. Seriously though don't take it personal.

I'm glad I got that off my back.

K

Kaz-maN

Junior Audioholic
I spent some time at Saturday Audio Exchange in Chicago that had PSB's this weekend, and got to see the imagines and the synchrony 1 series. The salesguy i was talking with, for an hour and a half no less, strongly recommended them.

The one thing that stood out to me was just how low the tweeter on the synchrony ones is. I would say its about a third down from the top, which seemed low to me. But then again they come very highly regarded, so what do i know?

If anyone in the northern illinois southern wisconsin area have a chance, i would highly recommend visiting the Saturday Audio Exchange. They truly had a remarkable selection of new and used equipment. Lots of vintage stuff from tube amps to jukeboxes. very cool indeed.
I'm glad you're going out there sampling stuff. ;)

Take the salesman advise for what its worth. You never know what else you might find out there. So keep looking! Once you hear more brands you'll be able to get a better idea of what you might like more. Just for kicks, don't be afraid to try different amps or receivers on the speakers you're demoing. Sometimes a different amp can make a speaker sound better or worse to you. Just my $.02

Good luck!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm glad you're going out there sampling stuff. ;)

Take the salesman advise for what its worth. You never know what else you might find out there. So keep looking! Once you hear more brands you'll be able to get a better idea of what you might like more. Just for kicks, don't be afraid to try different amps or receivers on the speakers you're demoing. Sometimes a different amp can make a speaker sound better or worse to you. Just my $.02
Good luck!

I totally disagree with the part I put in bolded text. Although receviers and amps all sound the same if operated well within their power limits, its best to eliminate any/all variables if auditioning for speakers only. Eliminate as many variables as you can... this is what I would ...

write down the make and model of each speaker you audition and what you liked and disliked about the speakers you were auditioning. Was the bass tight and deep or was it boomy and loose sounding? Were the mids life like or were they hollow or just too pronounced? Was the treble irritating and harsh or were they dark and not revealing or were they smooththat made you want to listen for more? How was the imaging?

Bring music with you that you are very familiar with and know quite well. To
make it easier to audition HT speaker systems, listen to the main speakers in 2
channel mode with music. Music is much harder to reproduce accurately then a movie soundtrack so if the speakers do well with music, then they will do well with HT. Speakers that do HT well may not do well with music. When auditioning the center channel of the same brand and series as the main speakers, pick a difficult source like an announcer that mumbles alot. If you can understand what the mumbling announcer is saying, then you have a good center channel.

I would go to speciality stores first and start auditioning speakers first
instead of going to the internet first. Once your likes are determined, you can
mention them here and fellow members can make internet brand recommendations based on your likes/dislikes. The specality stores are better setup acousticaly then the big box stores which will make auditioning a little easier. It will give you an idea of what you like in a speaker.

Keep track of what amp or receiver is powering the speakers you're auditioning. Try to get a receiver/amp that closest resembles what you have or want to get. It just reduces another variable when audtioning speakers.

One thing to keep note off. When auditioning speakers, make sure the volume
levels are matched between the diiferent speaker pairs because the louder
speaker pair will always sound better. Listen to levels that you think you
would listen to most of the time because thats how you are going to be using
them most of the time.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

when you say "low" do you mean its physical location on the tower? How did the speakers sound to you? what other brands did he carry? could you do a comparison?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis