Best High End Floor Standing Speakers under $2,000

K

Kaz-maN

Junior Audioholic
I actually demo'd those before. They sounded very smooth when paired with a cambridge audio intergrated. The only thing I didn't like about them to me was the sound stage. However you should really audition them for yourself to draw a conclusion. A recommendation I have is maybe look into paradigm as well. Preferably the studio series which I have in my sig. Studio 60's go for about $1999 a pair. Its a great sounding speaker for the money. I can't emphasize this enough though. You really need to listen for yourself.

I see that you're from chicago. There is a KEF dealer called "Decibel" http://www.decibel.com/ This is the actual store where I auditioned the KEF's. They have a paradigm dealer called "Promusica" as well thats down town near the Lincoln Park area. I didn't really like the dealer though because they are extremely biased. I can't recall the guys name who I was speaking to, but I actually thought he was a douche. The have quad, sonus faber, paradigm, naim, arcam, and more. Good luck!

Last edited:
C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
Does anyone own the Salk Songtower qwts? bonus points if you have th center too. From what i have gathered from perusing various boards and reviews, is that they are highly regarded.

how would they compare to the Aperion Intimus 6T line? Both get great reviews and are considered revealing from the reviews ive read. Not to mention the price is pretty close.

Thoughts? opinions?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Does anyone own the Salk Songtower qwts? bonus points if you have th center too. From what i have gathered from perusing various boards and reviews, is that they are highly regarded.

how would they compare to the Aperion Intimus 6T line? Both get great reviews and are considered revealing from the reviews ive read. Not to mention the price is pretty close.

Thoughts? opinions?
I own SongTower QWTs. I've had them since Sept 2007 and I highly recommend them. Read my owner's impressions. The only speakers that I wish I had instead of the STs, are the Salk HT2-TLs at more than double the price.

If you are at all near Gaithersburg, MD, please come hear them. PM me if interested.

I don't own, but have often heard the SongCenter. One day when some extra dollars are burning a hole in my pocket, I'll order that too.

I have heard the Aperion 6T. It wasn't bad in the sense that it didn't do anything glaringly wrong. But in my opinion, it is not in the same class as the SongTower.

C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
Try doing a google search for the name of this thread, i copied it from the article. or you could just go to www.bestcovery.com and search from there.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I have been wanting to hear the Song Towers as well. I will likely pick some up down the road if funds allow.

I am running Aperion 4B's for my workstation and I love em.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
ChicagoLR3

Apparently you aren't anywhere near Maryland (I should have paid closer attention to your screen name).

Salk is sold only by internet direct, and no dealers stock them. There is a Salk Speaker forum on audiocircles. Look on the Owner's Audition List thread for owners who are willing to show off their Salk speakers. I think there are several owners in Chicago, but I‘m not certain. Most Salk owners are glad to show off their speakers. You could also start a thread on that forum asking who in the Chicago area has SongTowers that you could listen to.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I cross referenced some of their reviews, and a lot of it seems to make no sense.

For example; there is a category for Best Bookshelf Speakers Money Can Buy. The first pair of speakers on a list of 5 are Eventus iO Bookshelf Speakers. Those apparently retail for around $10,000. Ok, that's fine. The next speaker on the list is the Paradigm Signature 22 with stands, MSRP $3,000 for the pair. Then we go over to the
Best Bookshelf Speakers Overall category. The first speaker we see here is the Dynaudio Contour S 1.4, MSRP $3,300 for the pair. Looking down this list of 5 there is no sign of the Signature 22 among similarly priced speakers such as the B&W Nautilus 805.

I fail to see how a speaker that made the Best Bookshelf Speakers Money Can Buy category but was overlooked Best Speakers Overall category considering the Signature 22 costs nearly the same as the Contour S 1.4 and comes with stands. I noticed they don't have a problem with putting the same speakers in multiple categories; so that can't be the reason. There were a couple of other silly things that made no sense as well. This included B&O somehow being on a list somewhere.:confused: I guess I should be thankful Bose wasn't on the list. But wait, Bose did make a list!

http://www.bestcovery.com/bose-lifestyle-v20-home-theater-system?whybest=4&best=12411

Any reviewer that thinks Bose should be on anything but a **** list should have every word spoken or written taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
C

ChicagoLR3

Audioholic
I agree wholeheartedly that most of the lists dont make any sense. It was more of a conversation starter than anything else.

Sorry Swerd, you are correct in believing i am no where near Maryland, but if i was, i would definitely like to hear your towers.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I agree wholeheartedly that most of the lists dont make any sense. It was more of a conversation starter than anything else.
Sorry, I gotta learn to pay attention. I still had a lot of fun picking it apart anyway.:D

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
OP, almost always, you will get more performance pairing 2 way bookshelf speakers with a pair of subs + active crossover. If max. performance for $$ is the issue, this is the ticket.

-Chris

C

Chicagorep

Junior Audioholic
CHicagoLR3, you should talk a look at the Totem Sttafs at $1600 for the pair. Quite nice.

J

Jasio

Enthusiast
No Dali Ikon 6/7's? Shame - I auditioned them beside the PSB T65's and found them to sound better; and particularly have better build quality. I also personally prefer a ribbon tweeter.I know that a lot of companies are moving to China, including high-end brands for manufacturing, but the PSB's really did look like they carried the "Made in China" moniker quite prominently, maybe because it was a floor model? Other than that the Revel F12's are a great speaker.

I also second Chicagorep's suggestion to look into Totem Acoustics Sttaf or Hawk.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Why don't you consider something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sonus-Faber-Concerto-Grand-Piano-Ex-Cond-Gloss-Blk_W0QQitemZ260561356779QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item3caaaac7eb#ht_500wt_1182

You can buy these for under $1,750 and these speakers retailed for $3,500, look great and sound even better. I purchase all my speakers pre-owned and have not had an issue yet. The best part, is when you buy them this way, you can listen to them for a few years and when you are ready to upgrade, you can sell them for almost what you bought them for...

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The Songtower is by far the best under $2K tower that I have listened to. Having said that, I also think that the ribbon tweeter upgrade is well worth the expense.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
That's some review

Clicked on the link for the SongTower review - a whole 12 sentences split among 3 paragraphs. With in-depth reviews like that, how can you doubt their lists? I'm gonna see if they need a new writer - I could review every speaker on the planet in 6 months if that's all they require.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis