MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hey Mal, Thanks again for that awesome response, hope to pick your brain a little more!

I started my headphone journey with Bose's 700s then Gene sold me his pair of Audeze LCD-1's...that got me thirsty for more. So I bought a pair of Focal Stellia's, on clearance from Headphones.com... apparently I'm stuck with them because they were on clearance. They were around $2k, so very discounted, but no returns...lesson learned! I think they sound better than the average bear but it's obvious a lot of cost was spent on ascetics and packaging. Have you had a chance to listen to those guys? I would love to hear your opinion.

I ordered a discontinued Focal amp from amazon, but it has seemed to of gotten lost in the UPS universe somewhere, so I may not be getting it after all. I plan on going with your DAC and Emo route. I hope the headphone out on that Bass-X amp can provide good performance. I don't see an XLR headphone out. Adapter?

I've been pushing cans with Yamaha 1080 receiver. Bought a Monolith THX 887 but was bad out of the box, only high's on one channel. So back to the Yamie for now. Thanks for taking the time to help guide a newbie!
Hi,

I've not tried those, I stopped after I found a few pairs that really just worked well. And the best one for you isn't always the most expensive one. Unfortunately we are in a culture that puts value on price tags and so we are influenced easily by price tags and the concept of branding. Bottom line, if it sounds good to you, just stop there and enjoy some music. I've done the whole new headphone every day thing and the reality is, you will always respond to a new headphone as being good (exciting) or bad (disappointing) but after a few hours with it, that wears off, and your ears are accustomed. We have terrible hearing! That exciting response doesn't last forever unless you cycle different headphones so you can re-adapt each time. I do just this. I cycle 3 pairs of headphones. So after using one for a while, my poor ears get an that "exciting new sound" from the next pair, since all three pairs are good. Anyhow, just something I've experienced, so sharing that. I have no science to back that up.

I wouldn't stress getting matching name brand gear.

Check out the Schiit Asgard amp. It's now a several-watt-output amp. This didn't exist back in the day, when the Asgard first released it was a few mW of power. Now, it outputs several watts. It's a slick looking amp and sounds perfect. Schiit makes such good stuff for the cost. They have balanced amps too if you need something with XLR. Otherwise, if your system isn't fully balanced end to end, then an XLR to TRS adapter will help you connect to anything. Balanced is over-rated frankly in my book. Did that song and dance too. It's just another level of magic to sprinkle on things to make you think you have something better.

Very best,

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I have AKG made in Austria and to lazy to go down the basement to get the model. They aren't the low end.
My HT is in the basement with other stuff.

Then, I have JBL with blue tooth..etc and use with my laptop, in the kitchen. The orig box is in the basement for the model...lol I paid $125.00, 2 years ago. I was using Sony ear buds w vol. control. I listen to music, while on my laptop.

That is my inventory.

Last edited:
rebulx

rebulx

Junior Audioholic
Thats too bad Mal, I was really hoping you were going to have some feedback on those units I've tried, as my rookie ears could use your feedback. I'm very appreciative of your advice and will check out that Asgard amp. I wrote that last message in a PM but figured I would share with this thread, to try and get some more feedback...seems like i've offended the Uber sensitive showboating police. Not my intentions.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
I use, Senn HD650 and HD800s and ZMF headphones, why because I like how they sound using a headphone amp instead of a AVR output.
what's the differance in sound using the headphone amp?

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2+ tube DAC using the tube pre-amp output to an older Emotiva Mini-X A-100 speaker amp, running the headphone directly from the speaker amp's posts. It soaks up a lot of energy and sounds better, to me, than any other hifi setup I've bothered trying including all those big expensive Audeze stuff and all the higher end Schiit amps and stuff. I sold it all and kept my weird little Hifiman, Tube DAC and Emotiva speaker amp and it's been awesome and I still enjoy it. I don't even shop for headphone stuff anymore, for years!
I am calling BS.

EthicalEar

EthicalEar

Junior Audioholic
I've got the Stellia's and Audeze LCD-X. 3 G's for my Stellias and they sound great to me. I am probably bias since I spent that much. I use the balanced cable and use them 10 hours a day on average. Now that son is in On-Line college. I pair them with the Focal Arche. This DAC does dim down the brightness of the beryllium and keep ear fatigue away. But also allows a variety of settings. I have another DAC I use for phono in another room and with my Schiit Loki I can EQ if needed but usually only on old rock records. The Audeze is fine but I can't wear them long as way to heavy. Focal Arch settings of Voltage or Elegia work best for LCD-X with High gain instead of low. Good contrast to Stellias as open back and bigger soundstage. Most drums are dull compared to Stellias. Nothing I've heard is as sharp and clear as the Stellias. All orchestral instruments, all Vocal layers and harmonies, nothing is blended or lost with high quality songs. The new digital spatial sound makes my Stellias better than Audeze even with soundstage. Sorry of you don't like your Stellias. I wouldn't trade mine for any other kind.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
I've got the Stellia's and Audeze LCD-X. 3 G's for my Stellias and they sound great to me. I am probably bias since I spent that much. I use the balanced cable and use them 10 hours a day on average. Now that son is in On-Line college. I pair them with the Focal Arche. This DAC does dim down the brightness of the beryllium and keep ear fatigue away. But also allows a variety of settings. I have another DAC I use for phono in another room and with my Schiit Loki I can EQ if needed but usually only on old rock records. The Audeze is fine but I can't wear them long as way to heavy. Focal Arch settings of Voltage or Elegia work best for LCD-X with High gain instead of low. Good contrast to Stellias as open back and bigger soundstage. Most drums are dull compared to Stellias. Nothing I've heard is as sharp and clear as the Stellias. All orchestral instruments, all Vocal layers and harmonies, nothing is blended or lost with high quality songs. The new digital spatial sound makes my Stellias better than Audeze even with soundstage. Sorry of you don't like your Stellias. I wouldn't trade mine for any other kind.
Finally a post that makes sense in this thread.

M

Maheshwari234

Audiophyte
Hello @rebulx , have you tried using Beats Studio3 Over-Ear Headphones? Save this option for your purchase, you'll get it around $199.

Revelation

Revelation

Junior Audioholic
I just spent months studying headphones, reading reviews and getting to know them. I have a decent audiophile stereo with Adcom 555, NAD preamp, Focal Arial 926, Dual CS 5000 turntable and Denon CD player. I wanted to have headphones that are on the same level as my stereo. So I purchased the Focal Clear MG's and you can read my review on the other posts. They are very balanced. You hear a solid strong bass, great mid's and high's that are very even. I personally would prefer if there was a tad more treble response from these headphones. With not having strong high's like the Beyerdynamic 1990's or Sennheiser 880's, the sound stage is not a big compared to the other two. While the others have a bigger sound stage including a more open top end, the mid's on those Headphones are thinner than the Clear MG's. You also hear more sss when people sing with them. When I hear drum toms on the Clear's from Neil Pert, they are solid and have a good presence. On the 1990's and 880's they have a lighter sound and they are not as full sounding. The Sennheiser 660S actually sound similar in character to the Focal Clear MG's with the exception that the Clear's offer a little more detail information including the ability to hear the reverb tails better. I found the difference enough to warrant purchasing the Focal Clear's. Now my wife would say the 660S are excellent sounding headphones, why do you need something better that is more than twice the price? If your not on the level of noticing all the fine details, reverb tails and you just want to enjoy music, the 650's or 660's are good enough to have an enjoyable listening experience.

I don't think there is such a thing as the best headphones. Once you have balanced sounding headphones like the Clear's, you will then not have the sound stage and open top end of the 800'S headphones. Then on the 800's headphones you get all the separation and clarity but then the mids sound thinner, and the bass is not as strong as the Clears. Serious audiophile headphone fans seem to have more than one pair of headphones as with some music one pair of headphones will provide you with more of what your looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Btw i personally like Beats Studio3 Over-Ear Headphones, using it from past 2 months.
Surprisingly you like them as you have paid for them.

What reference you have to compare them with in price range and over? As he had a lot higher budget for headphones and there are many a lot better options for sound quality even at that price point it doesn't really make sense to recommend him those over marketed headphones.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis