Bass still perform at a level below my expectation

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Ok after changing position and crossed it at 90hz, I think this might be a sweet spot.

The bass "move" a bit more now :). I like it, not too heavy/light and not as boomy like previous......I also changed the volume nob to 1 o'clock and YPAO adjusted to +1db, so I leave it.
I only test this on songs now, will test later using Atmos material film.

Although the woofers aren't vibrating as i like, but i think it's sufficient for now until my next upgrade itchiness come...lol.
By that time, i might think about upgrading the AVR itself.....assess between Yamaha/Denon, i think Denon is a better one for HT set up, Yamaha YPAO tends to tame down the bass portion.
What city are you in?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
In Bay Area (down south CA in Morgan Hill)
Love me the Bay.... Now only if we could afford to live here! :p (I'm a wee bit north in Wine Coutry.)

As you experiment with placement... do the same with your subs! Have you done the Subwoofer Crawl? :)

B

Bin

Junior Audioholic
Love me the Bay.... Now only if we could afford to live here! :p (I'm a wee bit north in Wine Coutry.)

As you experiment with placement... do the same with your subs! Have you done the Subwoofer Crawl? :)
I didn't do the sub crawl as it involve too much work and need to buy additional longer cables. Thats why I added another sub hopefully to minimize deadspot.

Now I am happy with the output finally after so multiple AVR adjustments and placement.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I didn't do the sub crawl as it involve too much work and need to buy additional longer cables. Thats why I added another sub hopefully to minimize deadspot.

Now I am happy with the output finally after so multiple AVR adjustments and placement.
Something to consider, it is possible that the Sub and Speaker output can be creating cancellations between them. I can't say this is the case, but a possibility. I know you said you moved them and got better results. It is possible to find potentially better placement still. Just an idea, and maybe worth checking out for you. The cost of a good quality Subwoofer cable from Monoprice isn't that much, and if you can improve yet again on your subwoofer performance.... ;) Just typing "out loud," here. :cool:

B

Bin

Junior Audioholic
@Pogre , finally it's time to upgrade. I am selling my duo PB1000 tomorrow.

Planning to upgrade to VTF3 MK3, hopefully it's not overkill for the room size I am in. I am going to go with 1 sub first and see how it goes.

And for some reason, I bumped into one of your YT video yesterday demo play those subs.

What setting u like better?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre , finally it's time to upgrade. I am selling my duo PB1000 tomorrow.

Planning to upgrade to VTF3 MK3, hopefully it's not overkill for the room size I am in. I am going to go with 1 sub first and see how it goes.

And for some reason, I bumped into one of your YT video yesterday demo play those subs.

What setting u like better?
You mean the VTF-3 MK5? Overkill isn't a bad thing, imo. If you're not pushing your gear to the limits all the time it'll hopefully add to longevity.

I follow Hsu's recommendation when running setup and plug 1 port, eq1. After setup I pull the plug and switch to eq2. I've barely played with the Q settings tho. I've pretty much always had that set at 0.7.

B

Bin

Junior Audioholic
You mean the VTF-3 MK5? Overkill isn't a bad thing, imo. If you're not pushing your gear to the limits all the time it'll hopefully add to longevity.

I follow Hsu's recommendation when running setup and plug 1 port, eq1. After setup I pull the plug and switch to eq2. I've barely played with the Q settings tho. I've pretty much always had that set at 0.7.
I am actually struggling to decide.
I look at SVS SB3000, and think that the size isn't too big and price at $999.
But I save shipping is free both ways if I decide to return after 1 month.

HSU VTF3 MK5, it's a bigger driver but not sure if there is much difference in terms of output. It comes with a bigger box and I need to pay shipping for both ways if I return.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I am actually struggling to decide.
I look at SVS SB3000, and think that the size isn't too big and price at $999.
But I save shipping is free both ways if I decide to return after 1 month.

HSU VTF3 MK5, it's a bigger driver but not sure if there is much difference in terms of output. It comes with a bigger box and I need to pay shipping for both ways if I return.
Well the good news is, both of those subs are pretty awesome so no matter which way you go I think you'll be happy. I'm gonna guess that whichever one you order first, it probably won't be going back.

I personally am a huge fan of SVS' products and stellar customer service. I'm also really happy with my Hsu subwoofers. Kind of a tough call, but either way you'll be in good shape so don't stress over it too much. I think with shipping I paid just over $1700 for both of my subs from Hsu. Anything in that performance range that SVS had at the time was quite a bit more so that's why I went where I went.

*Edit: Do you mean the PB3000? Because the SB3000 and VTF-3 are apples and oranges. I'd absolutely get the Hsus.

B

Bin

Junior Audioholic
Well the good news is, both of those subs are pretty awesome so no matter which way you go I think you'll be happy. I'm gonna guess that whichever one you order first, it probably won't be going back.

I personally am a huge fan of SVS' products and stellar customer service. I'm also really happy with my Hsu subwoofers. Kind of a tough call, but either way you'll be in good shape so don't stress over it too much. I think with shipping I paid just over $1700 for both of my subs from Hsu. Anything in that performance range that SVS had at the time was quite a bit more so that's why I went where I went.

*Edit: Do you mean the PB3000? Because the SB3000 and VTF-3 are apples and oranges. I'd absolutely get the Hsus.
I actually meant SB3000 due to smaller enclosure box. I called HSU sales this morning, Kevin was the person I spoke to. He said that compare to SVS, it has to be at least PB4000 to be about to best the VTF3 MK5.

It's interesting as well that I asked Kevin the question about, will I get a better performance from VTF vs my dual PB1000. His response surprised me, he said it might be the same sometimes output if I place the subs the same location. (Weird)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I actually meant SB3000 due to smaller enclosure box. I called HSU sales this morning, Kevin was the person I spoke to. He said that compare to SVS, it has to be at least PB4000 to be about to best the VTF3 MK5.

It's interesting as well that I asked Kevin the question about, will I get a better performance from VTF vs my dual PB1000. His response surprised me, he said it might be the same sometimes output if I place the subs the same location. (Weird)
The further away you spread apart the subs, the more of a SPL loss that can be seen in some frequencies. If you want to maximize SPL but minimize the response-smoothing effects that multiple subs have in-room, you can just place the, very close together. Acoustically that would behave as a single subwoofer. Regarding 2 PB-1000s vs a single VTF-3, my guess is that the PB-1000s might equal the VTF-3 at the low end but they wouldn't quite match it in mid-bass around 40 Hz and above. They would individually have to pump out 111 dB at 2 meters to accomplish that, and I don't think they would be capable of that given the specs.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
You might be happy with dual VTF2 if dual VTF3 is out of your budget.

I really like my dual VTF2 mk5 pair. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The further away you spread apart the subs, the more of a SPL loss that can be seen in some frequencies. If you want to maximize SPL but minimize the response-smoothing effects that multiple subs have in-room, you can just place the, very close together. Acoustically that would behave as a single subwoofer. Regarding 2 PB-1000s vs a single VTF-3, my guess is that the PB-1000s might equal the VTF-3 at the low end but they wouldn't quite match it in mid-bass around 40 Hz and above. They would individually have to pump out 111 dB at 2 meters to accomplish that, and I don't think they would be capable of that given the specs.
Okay, yes. I can see 2 PB1000s stacked in the same corner having similar output compared to a single VTF-3 MK5. I was having a little trouble with my comprehension. I thought they were comparing a pair of MK5s, lol. Thanks shady. I wanted to reply but was a li'l confused.

I think you're the one who told me that SVS tend to strive for a little deeper extension and Hsu subs tend to have a little bit better mid bass output too, iirc. On paper deeper extension looks better to me but that mid bass, 40 hz-is range is a lot more in the audible range where think I has more impact for music.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Okay, yes. I can see 2 PB1000s stacked in the same corner having similar output compared to a single VTF-3 MK5. I was having a little trouble with my comprehension. I thought they were comparing a pair of MK5s, lol. Thanks shady. I wanted to reply but was a li'l confused.

I think you're the one who told me that SVS tend to strive for a little deeper extension and Hsu subs tend to have a little bit better mid bass output too, iirc. On paper deeper extension looks better to me but that mid bass, 40 hz-is range is a lot more in the audible range where think I has more impact for music.
It's not that SVS subs go for deeper extension but rather their performance goals for deep bass are very stiff. They don't accept much distortion at tuning frequencies at maximum output levels nor do they want a heavily compressed low-end a higher drive levels. So they have excellent performance characteristics from low to maximum performance levels, however that kind of performance target does put a lower ceiling on overall output compared to Hsu especially with respect to mid-bass. Although that performance target seems to have changed a bit with the PB-3000. Hsu allows a bit more distortion and compression at the low end at maximum drive levels in comparison, and for that compromise they can get a lot of mid-bass output. However, Hsu's low end performance is nothing to sneeze at either, so don't think they have poor low-end performance, quite the contrary.

B

Bin

Junior Audioholic
If someone sees this message, I have a power question.

I ran out of wall outlet, reason because of WAF . She allows me to place 2 big subs in front, but she needs both the standing light fixture there, hence I need to consume 2 wall outlet for that reason due to the power cable length from the lights are too short.

Now if I get VTF3 MK3, is it safe for me to plug the sub into my Rocketfish 3600 joules surge protector? Currently I have my AVR and OLED TV plugged into the same surge protector, will it be too much to add 1 sub into it?

Thank in advance

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If someone sees this message, I have a power question.

I ran out of wall outlet, reason because of WAF . She allows me to place 2 big subs in front, but she needs both the standing light fixture there, hence I need to consume 2 wall outlet for that reason due to the power cable length from the lights are too short.

Now if I get VTF3 MK3, is it safe for me to plug the sub into my Rocketfish 3600 joules surge protector? Currently I have my AVR and OLED TV plugged into the same surge protector, will it be too much to add 1 sub into it?

Thank in advance
It's safe to use the VTF-3 on that surge protector so long as you aren't drawing a whole lot of energy from a bunch of other items. It should be able to run fine alongside a OLED TV and AVR on the surge protector.

B

Bin

Junior Audioholic
It's safe to use the VTF-3 on that surge protector so long as you aren't drawing a whole lot of energy from a bunch of other items. It should be able to run fine alongside a OLED TV and AVR on the surge protector.
Thanks Shady, this helps a lot now.

Currently it's AVR, OLED TV, Google Chromecast that goes into the surge protector. I am going to order the vtf3mk5 tomorrow then.
That solved the left side of the issue, I think I will be fine with the otherv right side since I am not short of wall outlet, hence will just plug the 2nd sub straight into the wall.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis