AVR-X3600H - A viable low cost alternative to the more expensive AVPs(Denon) and AVCs (Yamaha)?

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Just curious, how do they typically package heavy items, double/triple box with extra foams? Regardless, I would not buy something that heavy, say >30 to 35 lbs with packaging material, i.e. in the box from AC4L or other refurbished AVRs online even if they are labelled refurbished but actually brand new.
They ship new units in the factory package. Just like if you bought it a a brick and mortar store and carried it home. It would be nice if they were double boxed for shipping but that would cost more and it's a competitive market.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
With the first defective unit they were trying to get me to run diagnostics...that would have been fine but I'd already told him that the unit wouldn't power up at all. That's when I knew it was going to be difficult lol!
That is sad!
I'll have to call and ask some questions the next time I order something from them, just to get a read and determine if they might have changed their old approach of hiring competent people who at least know a little bit about audio!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Have we heard horror stories of Refurbished Yamaha AVR or AVP? I have not heard.

@Gmoney Bought a Refurbished Yamaha from A4L. Still works great.

Anyone who knows me can probably recall my nightmare experience with multiple Refurbished Denon AVRs and AVP. I blame Panurgy 100% based on my experience. A4L is not at fault. It's not A4L's fault if Panurgy is incompetent.

For warranty services, I think most AVR companies will expect the customer to pay for shipping to the repair centers. Denon and Marantz even say that on their websites for warranty service. But Yamaha will pay for shipping both ways even for Refurbished purchases.

I have 2 points.
1. I won't buy Refurbished AVR / AVP. But if I were to buy Refurbished, it would only be a Yamaha. No way I would trust Panurgy (Denon/Marantz).

2. If you can get a Brand New AVR or AVP from an authorized dealer for almost the same price as a Refurbished AVR/AVP, always buy brand new, especially for Denon/Marantz.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
All hail king Yamaha .....
Ha ha. I wouldn't go that far. :D

Just regarding warranty service for Refurbished and new, reliability, compatibility, WiFi apps, and Manual Parametric EQ.

I think YPAO sucks. I also hate all the stupid DSP modes. And I don't like that you can't do bass management and use Subs in Direct mode.

I've also tried the Yamaha AI for dialogue. It sucks. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, have seen reports of issues with both new and refurb Yamahas, too. LOL.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
Have never bought refurbished electronics - simply not worth the trouble(to me, ymmv). I'd rather wait to get new ones with good warranty, with deep discounts and end up even. By "new" ones, doesnt mean current year model. In many cases , the previous year( and even couple of years older) model is as good and some times even better than the current year model..with manufacturers keen on introducing more features(many useless) and cutting corners in quality to maintain cost & margins. Same thing with the TVs, never bought "current" year model..

After the really bad experience I've had with Panurgy - twice - I promised myself to be cautious the next round.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Have never bought refurbished electronics - simply not worth the trouble(to me, ymmv). I'd rather wait to get new ones with good warranty, with deep discounts and end up even. By "new" ones, doesnt mean current year model. In many cases , the previous year( and even couple of years older) model is as good and some times even better than the current year model..with manufacturers keen on introducing more features(many useless) and cutting corners in quality to maintain cost & margins. Same thing with the TVs, never bought "current" year model..

After the really bad experience I've had with Panurgy - twice - I promised myself to be cautious the next round.
Exactly my main 2 points.
1. Buy new and
2. Avoid Panurgy

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
For warranty services, I think most AVR companies will expect the customer to pay for shipping to the repair centers. Denon and Marantz even say that on their websites for warranty service. But Yamaha will pay for shipping both ways even for Refurbished purchases.
They are manufacturers warranties!
Yamaha or Denon, same difference, I would drop off at Norman Electronics in Suwanee (Atlanta suburb)!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They are manufacturers warranties!
Yamaha or Denon, same difference, I would drop off at Norman Electronics in Suwanee (Atlanta suburb)!
That depends on the repairs and if the local shop is authorized by DM.

1. There is not a DM authorized repair shop everywhere.
2. If the repairs cannot be done by the local shops, they will have to ship to Panurgy. Then the question will be, will the repair shop ship to Panurgy for free even though DM clearly states on their websites that the customer is responsible for paying shipping to Panurgy.
3. Then you are at the mercy of Panurgy.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That depends on the repairs and if the local shop is authorized by DM.

1. There is not a DM authorized repair shop everywhere.
2. If the repairs cannot be done by the local shops, they will have to ship to Panurgy. Then the question will be, will the repair shop ship to Panurgy for free even though DM clearly states on their websites that the customer is responsible for paying shipping to Panurgy.
3. Then you are at the mercy of Panurgy.
I understand that, but your post made it sound like shipping to Panurgy was the only option!
I'd expect that many people have similar situations to mine where there is absolutely no difference between Yamaha or D&M should service be required!

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
Thanks for the link. Will pick up a couple of 80mm to stick on the the x8500.
I was looking at the one you linked to and it is an AC plug in type. This one includes 2 80mm fans and is powered by USB. Would this do the trick to use the usb power from the receiver? It is only $14.99 and includes 2 fans.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was looking at the one you linked to and it is an AC plug in type. This one includes 2 80mm fans and is powered by USB. Would this do the trick to use the usb power from the receiver? It is only $14.99 and includes 2 fans.
The specs say 0.38 A so it should be fine, but I would not plug it in a flagship receiver. I won't even plug it to my cheap 4400 so I use one of those outlet that can be controlled via wifi.

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
The specs say 0.38 A so it should be fine, but I would not plug it in a flagship receiver. I won't even plug it to my cheap 4400 so I use one of those outlet that can be controlled via wifi.
Am I missing something as to the reason on to plug the fan into the usb on the receiver? I thought that is what the usb on the x8500 was for.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Am I missing something as to the reason on to plug the fan into the usb on the receiver? I thought that is what the usb on the x8500 was for.
That's just me. I prefer to leave the AVR alone as much as possible and I think I may be the only one who won't use the usb port to power a usb fan that only draws 0.38 A.:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
By the way, ASR just measure the Onkyo RZ5100 prepro, beaten by the Denon AVR in just about every category.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That's just me. I prefer to leave the AVR alone as much as possible and I think I may be the only one who won't use the usb port to power a usb fan that only draws 0.38 A.:D
I would second this and only use the AVR USB Port if the manufactureer says it is OK for powering an external device. Some USB Ports are not recommended for that, after all, and it would be a shame to fry your AVR doing something that is meant to help extend its lifespan. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis